08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

ZZP Mods question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
ZZP Mods question

Hi, I am new to the board and hope this is in the right place. I recently picked up a 2009 yellow ss and started ordering some goodies from ZZP. I just received the intercooler kit with bigger intercooler and upper and lower pipes with silicone hoses. Does anyone have a recommendation on what height to run the upper pipe at. It seems if I mount it flush to the bracket off the manifold the pipe hits the a/c line. Looking through the internet it seems some people use a spacer between the pipe and mount. The upper silicone hose seems that it has to be cut also. Is this right? I am just looking to find out how some other people have it mounted. Also my intercooler came dented. I have emailed ZZP with no luck so far today. I sent them the email late so maybe ill hear something tomorrow. Is there anyway to Call them and speak with someone on the phone? Thanks in advance
Dennis
Old 09-08-2015, 09:13 PM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
ZZP Mods question

They'll probably reply to you tomorrow
Old 09-09-2015, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just bolted mine on, no issues, the upper silcone has to be cuz, it is longer incase you are running a big turbo setup where the turbo doesnt sit as high
Old 09-10-2015, 01:12 AM

zzp mods

I got it to fit nice. I had to adjust the A/C line a bit down so its not rubbing on the pipe. Scraped a piece of the wrinkle finish off but it has clearance now. ZZP checked out the pics of the damaged intercooler and said it would be ok. Its a small dent on the outer most plate. They gave me a discount off another order. So I ordered the intake tube. My next step is to get to Back Yard Turbo for a tune. I only live 20 min from them. I know I'm 6 years late but new to the Cobalt SS world. Ive always been a big motor guy. Now i feel lost in the 4CYL turbo world. Gotta get on Board. Thanks for the replys
Old 09-10-2015, 08:05 AM

Received 140 Likes on 120 Posts
welcome to the forum man. glad everything worked out, now just get your self a catless dp and your set haha.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis69
I got it to fit nice. I had to adjust the A/C line a bit down so its not rubbing on the pipe. Scraped a piece of the wrinkle finish off but it has clearance now. ZZP checked out the pics of the damaged intercooler and said it would be ok. Its a small dent on the outer most plate. They gave me a discount off another order. So I ordered the intake tube. My next step is to get to Back Yard Turbo for a tune. I only live 20 min from them. I know I'm 6 years late but new to the Cobalt SS world. Ive always been a big motor guy. Now i feel lost in the 4CYL turbo world. Gotta get on Board. Thanks for the replys
I'm 20 min away from BYT also. What part of PA you from? I'm the silver lsj in Tannersville
Old 09-14-2015, 07:30 AM

Im by Beltzville lake area. Its considered Lehighton. I work in Manhattan and used to catch the bus in Tannersville. I would park at the BP gas station on the corner of 611 and 715. Have you been to BYT yet? I emailed him and he said he can take care of me. I just have to get all these parts on. I havent been home much. I hoping to wrap it up by the weekend and get out to him by next week. Im not looking to race daytona with the car. I dont want to compromise reliability I am actually going to use it to commute to Manhattan. I was originally looking for a Kia Rio type car but figured **** it. A yellow cobalt SS 4cyl Turbo, why not enjoy my commute.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im by Beltzville lake area. Its considered Lehighton. I work in Manhattan and used to catch the bus in Tannersville. I would park at the BP gas station on the corner of 611 and 715. Have you been to BYT yet? I emailed him and he said he can take care of me. I just have to get all these parts on. I havent been home much. I hoping to wrap it up by the weekend and get out to him by next week. Im not looking to race daytona with the car. I dont want to compromise reliability I am actually going to use it to commute to Manhattan. I was originally looking for a Kia Rio type car but figured **** it. A yellow cobalt SS 4cyl Turbo, why not enjoy my commute.
I'm not tuned by him. I think I'm the only one withon like 50 miles that isnt lol. But theres some high horsepower cobalts in new jersey that are tuned by him and about 4 Cobalts in the Poconos tuned by him. So I've heard he's good
Old 09-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
It has a bracket to bolt it to the bracket by the hpfp, bolt the pipe to that bracket and it won't hit anything and that will show u how far up and down it goes
Old 09-16-2015, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by tomj77
It has a bracket to bolt it to the bracket by the hpfp, bolt the pipe to that bracket and it won't hit anything and that will show u how far up and down it goes
Thanks, I am starting to feel like an idiot here. I like to think of myself as mechanically inclined considering ive built engines before but it seems like little turbo engines are a whole new animal. I fitted the upper pipe and secured it to the bracket not before chipping the powdercoat. Which I have to say chipped and peeled pretty easy. The issue I have is the upper silicone hose. I think i may have cut it to short. It hard to find some pics of the fitment of the pipe as popular as ZZP is. The turbo is offset of the upper pipe and the silicone hoses are stiff as a bastard. The pipe does not come into the upper hose parallel with the engine. It is angled back towards the firewall. I realize if I left more hose I may have been able to get some more adjustment out of it. Is that the way its supposed to fit? I would like to post a pic but am not sure how. Also I installed the ZZP intake tube and it seems the PCV pipe is a bit long. I dont think I want to push it into the tube and disrupt airflow, so would it matter if I grab a pipe cutter and trim it down? Again, thanks for any help and sorry to beat this thread to death but I really want to get this wrapped up and I just want to make sure I am getting this together right.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:52 PM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Thanks, I am starting to feel like an idiot here. I like to think of myself as mechanically inclined considering ive built engines before but it seems like little turbo engines are a whole new animal. I fitted the upper pipe and secured it to the bracket not before chipping the powdercoat. Which I have to say chipped and peeled pretty easy. The issue I have is the upper silicone hose. I think i may have cut it to short. It hard to find some pics of the fitment of the pipe as popular as ZZP is. The turbo is offset of the upper pipe and the silicone hoses are stiff as a bastard. The pipe does not come into the upper hose parallel with the engine. It is angled back towards the firewall. I realize if I left more hose I may have been able to get some more adjustment out of it. Is that the way its supposed to fit? I would like to post a pic but am not sure how. Also I installed the ZZP intake tube and it seems the PCV pipe is a bit long. I dont think I want to push it into the tube and disrupt airflow, so would it matter if I grab a pipe cutter and trim it down? Again, thanks for any help and sorry to beat this thread to death but I really want to get this wrapped up and I just want to make sure I am getting this together right.
Push it in as far as it will allow. The further it is into the airstream, the better. Considering the pcv isn't the greatest on this car, you want to keep it working as best you can. You aren't going to affect airflow because that portion is post-MAF.

I'd suggest modifying your air box snorkel as well. Good luck man.