2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

3.5 bar map sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
Most of the bosch sensors have a bit of head room built into them, so even though they are rated for xxbar they can actually register a bit higher than that.

For example, the stock 2.5 bar. Technically they are only rated for just that, 2.5bar (250kpa or 21.7psi). However, as everyone is (or should be by now) aware, the 2.5 bar can actually register up to roughly 2.62bar (262kpa or 23.5psi) when monitoring the low res map.

The same thing holds true for the 3bar sensors. They are obviously rated as 3bar (300kpa or 29psi), however they should be able to register up to roughly 3.22bar (322kpa or 32psi) according to the sensor specs if scaled correctly.

As far as your RPD goes. That thing is absolutely useless for monitoring boost beyond 25psi and even up to that isn't always accurate. If you want an accurate boost monitor, get a mechanical gauge and ditch the rpd imo.

I think you are correct about the head room but over 20psi (+-2psi) on the 2.5bar and 26psi (+-2psi) on the 3bar my sensors don't alway match my logged boost gauge. Maybe it's the sensor for my boost gauge... But I thought GMTech and others on HPTForum noticed similar phenomena. They may read higher than rated but the last 20ish% are not accurate.

--Christian

Last edited by cdnite; 03-20-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullet08
I have always been able to read up to about 32psi with the low res on hp. The problem is reading beyond that if there is a boost spike and being put into a limp mode. Your right on the borderline. The rpd does crazy things when it sees over 29psi also.I could build a file with the correct map sensor values but its a matter of testing it to see if there are other tables being scaled in the back ground like on the stg1 file. My guess is it will be fine since you can run the 3bar values on a stock file. If anything I could build the tune on a stg1 file with the 3.5bar values. Which would be the same difference as running 3bar on the stock 2.5 file.

Your car should be about ready up at the shop ryan. Now we need to get the extra injectors set up correctly to support that 30psi before you order new sensors. I would bet 30psi with the correct fueling is going to be pretty nasty on the street. Already is on 25psi.. Your really just starting to make that turbo work. At 30psi its really going to start moving some air.
Agreed I think this Canberra done and may show a benifit... Maybe... I just need to get some more specs from Bosch and play with the the car when I get home from this trip.

--Christian
Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Matt M
That doesn't make sense. If you boost beyond the limit of your MAP sensor, why would the ECM switch to speed density? Speed density uses only MAP and does not use MAF.

On the LNF, it really doesn't matter if you go past the limit of your MAP sensor. On an LSJ, it is important to have accurate MAP readings because the injector flow varies significantly with a change in boost pressure. The ECM needs to know mass air flow and injector flow rate in order to deliver the correct amount of fuel. On the LNF, it is not as important because you have nearly 3000psi fuel pressure. Adding a few more psi to your boost does not significantly alter the injector flow rate. As long as you have an accurate MAF reading, your AFR will not change much because you raised the boost from 29 to 33.

FWIW, I have run up to 45psi boost several times on the dyno, running mostly E85 as well.(with GMS1 sensors) That's where you run into some real challenges based on running out of both fuel pumps, DI injectors, and 5th injector.

I could be totally wrong.

But I've been unfortunate enough to have a quite a few sensors function intermittently as they go bad and when they have failed or gone out of range while logging a pull the tune seems to go to a safe or pre-set mode. Not like a safe mode but like a preset mode that doesn't need all the sensors. I just assumed it was a speed density mode that wasn't actively adjusting and recalibrating the tune like MAF but just running a preset known configuration.

--Christian
Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
Most of the bosch sensors have a bit of head room built into them, so even though they are rated for xxbar they can actually register a bit higher than that.

For example, the stock 2.5 bar. Technically they are only rated for just that, 2.5bar (250kpa or 21.7psi). However, as everyone is (or should be by now) aware, the 2.5 bar can actually register up to roughly 2.62bar (262kpa or 23.5psi) when monitoring the low res map.

The same thing holds true for the 3bar sensors. They are obviously rated as 3bar (300kpa or 29psi), however they should be able to register up to roughly 3.22bar (322kpa or 32psi) according to the sensor specs if scaled correctly.

As far as your RPD goes. That thing is absolutely useless for monitoring boost beyond 25psi and even up to that isn't always accurate. If you want an accurate boost monitor, get a mechanical gauge and ditch the rpd imo.
Is the math in this fucked up, or is it just me. For instance, 250kpa is ~36psi...
Old 02-19-2013, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Matt M
That doesn't make sense. If you boost beyond the limit of your MAP sensor, why would the ECM switch to speed density? Speed density uses only MAP and does not use MAF.

On the LNF, it really doesn't matter if you go past the limit of your MAP sensor. On an LSJ, it is important to have accurate MAP readings because the injector flow varies significantly with a change in boost pressure. The ECM needs to know mass air flow and injector flow rate in order to deliver the correct amount of fuel. On the LNF, it is not as important because you have nearly 3000psi fuel pressure. Adding a few more psi to your boost does not significantly alter the injector flow rate. As long as you have an accurate MAF reading, your AFR will not change much because you raised the boost from 29 to 33.

FWIW, I have run up to 45psi boost several times on the dyno, running mostly E85 as well.(with GMS1 sensors) That's where you run into some real challenges based on running out of both fuel pumps, DI injectors, and 5th injector.
Thats why we run "8th injector" down here lol. Now I havnt pushed a set up beyond 40psi like yall have but doing individual cylinder injectors makes this much easier not only on this di platform but many others. This avoids any sort of fp issues due to running it beyond its normal operating pressures. Im working with ryan to get a set up like this on his car. Just hopefully the block and head gasket will hold up when we crank it up for tk13.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by PsychoGenius
Is the math in this fucked up, or is it just me. For instance, 250kpa is ~36psi...
Subtract atmopheric from than and you got it. But like stated earlier the map sensors have a little wiggle room when you use this formula for calculation of the limit.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullet08
Subtract atmopheric from than and you got it. But like stated earlier the map sensors have a little wiggle room when you use this formula for calculation of the limit.
Ah, there we go
Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cdnite
I think you are correct about the head room but over 20psi (+-2psi) on the 2.5bar and 26psi (+-2psi) on the 3bar my sensors don't alway match my logged boost gauge. Maybe it's the sensor for my boost gauge... But I thought GMTech and others on HPTForum noticed similar phenomena. They may read higher than rated but the last 80ish% are not accurate.

--Christian
I honestly haven't logged another boost input signal into hpt from another boost gauge to compare against so I'd be curious to see how much varience there is. I have used a mechanical gauge to compare my logs against (which seemed pretty spot on at the time) but that's obviously not such a perfect science when you're trying to peak back and forth between the gauge and the graph.. lol..

Do you have any screen shots you can post up of the 2 graphed against one another by any chance? Are you seeing that they're registering peak boost differently or is one just maybe lagging behind the other a bit? Also, is the equasion for the input signal from the other gauge you're using accurate as well?