2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

303 WHP 325 Ft Lbs ---What Clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm due for a new clutch. I'm at 156k miles with full bolt ons ( just no tune ) so based on what everyone is saying the the LNF stock is the same as the LSJ clutch. ProbBly going to pick one of them up from ZZP but think she out of stock. What's another good site to pick one up? And would the kit come with everything but a flywheel?
Old 07-23-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by KINGMAROSS
I'm due for a new clutch. I'm at 156k miles with full bolt ons ( just no tune ) so based on what everyone is saying the the LNF stock is the same as the LSJ clutch. ProbBly going to pick one of them up from ZZP but think she out of stock. What's another good site to pick one up? And would the kit come with everything but a flywheel?
CED has the GMPP upgrade kit
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Ecot...12-P10781.aspx
So after this you'll still need a flywheel and flywheel bolts. Buy the flywheel bolts from CED because you're already buying from there anyway. I used new TOB bolts because they are known to strip (torx heads).
I'd recommend an OEM flywheel if you can get a deal on it (I got mine for $200 compared to ZZP's $150 for a non OEM flywheel). Make sure it's a LNF flywheel as pp mounting pins are different size for the pressure plate in the LNF OEM/GMPP upgrade kit.

ionRL_585 has an OEM LNF flywheel for sale.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePanduuh
Ecotec LSJ Clutch Upgrade Kit 19212712
So after this you'll still need a flywheel and flywheel bolts. Buy the flywheel bolts from CED because you're already buying from there anyway. I used new TOB bolts because they are known to strip (torx heads).
I'd recommend an OEM flywheel if you can get a deal on it (I got mine for $200 compared to ZZP's $150 for a non OEM flywheel). Make sure it's a LNF flywheel as pp mounting pins are different size for the pressure plate in the LNF OEM/GMPP upgrade kit.

Where the hell did you find a oem lnf one for $200?! I ripped my hair out shopping so that's why I went with the one from zzp.

And thanks for the marketing on the flywheel. I'll give you a 3% cut haha.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by ionRL_585
Where the hell did you find a oem lnf one for $200?! I ripped my hair out shopping so that's why I went with the one from zzp.

And thanks for the marketing on the flywheel. I'll give you a 3% cut haha.
Guy on a Facebook group tried to use it on a SAAB and it didn't work because his Saab had a dual mass. So he wanted it gone to get a flywheel that would work for his car. He put it up for sale the same day I got my busted ass LUK flywheel in the mail. Returned that right away. Well worth the extra $100 for peace of mind. LUK didn't look that good at all. Machining was not up to my standards.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:03 PM

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
Guy on a Facebook group tried to use it on a SAAB and it didn't work because his Saab had a dual mass. So he wanted it gone to get a flywheel that would work for his car. He put it up for sale the same day I got my busted ass LUK flywheel in the mail. Returned that right away. Well worth the extra $100 for peace of mind. LUK didn't look that good at all. Machining was not up to my standards.
I gotta say, it was awesome that you happened upon a genuine OEM for the price you paid. But I also have to say don't knock the LuK too much based on your experience, considering yours was the first we had seen with that poor of a finish, let alone no stampings of being made in Germany like every other one we've seen.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tdubbs
I gotta say, it was awesome that you happened upon a genuine OEM for the price you paid. But I also have to say don't knock the LuK too much based on your experience, considering yours was the first we had seen with that poor of a finish, let alone no stampings of being made in Germany like every other one we've seen.
Not knocking on it. But rockauto is slim on stock iirc and ZZP charges $50 more for the same thing. Either way, the OEM flywheel just makes it easier to install the pressure plate with the GMPP/OEM LNF clutch kit. I've talked to people with all types of flywheels, both LUK and ZZP's flywheel. Both have had no issues. Just make sure to get new flywheel bolts because TTY!
Old 07-23-2017, 10:15 PM

Not knocking on it. But rockauto is slim on stock iirc and ZZP charges $50 more for the same thing. Either way, the OEM flywheel just makes it easier to install the pressure plate with the GMPP/OEM LNF clutch kit. I've talked to people with all types of flywheels, both LUK and ZZP's flywheel. Both have had no issues. Just make sure to get new flywheel bolts because TTY!
Yeah, still trying to figure out if LuK decided to go cheap and manufacture all of their flywheels in China like the one you got, or if they're doing dual manufacturing. If it's the former, I'm going to pick up another German made one if I can find it before they all disappear.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:26 PM

Yeah, still trying to figure out if LuK decided to go cheap and manufacture all of their flywheels in China like the one you got, or if they're doing dual manufacturing. If it's the former, I'm going to pick up another German made one if I can find it before they all disappear.
Buy from ZZP? If the rockauto ones are all Chinese just order it from ZZP? Unless theirs isn't made in Germany? I will say when ordering the flywheel I noticed the price went down $10 and I was confused why but ordered anyway. I guess I just got a bad one. Everyone else has had plenty of luck. I got my luck with that OEM flywheel
Old 07-24-2017, 04:07 PM

I got mine from AutoPartsWarehouse.com. When I bought mine it was only $119, now it's $134, but I'll try my luck with them again vs RockAuto.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:51 AM

Almost the full 500 miles on my clutch. Took a lot longer than expected. I'll be putting another 1k miles on it all highway in about a week. Hope I broke it in enough. Holds boost fine, stronger than before for sure. Accidentally boosted it pretty good
Old 07-31-2017, 07:26 AM

I did 800 break in miles and did some nice pulls the other day, she will hold it just fine. I'd do 1k if I were you and call it a day if you are 2nd guessing it.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I now have about 1500 Kms on mine and seems to work really well so far.
But as Murphy's Law would have it there's a new issue:
Again my car is a 2010 Cobalt SS. ZZP dyno-tuned it about a month ago to 303 HP 325 ft-lbs !
The issue: started getting popping or backfiring from 4000 RPM up after my clutch was broken in. Had a hidden fault code 302 said: "#2 cylinder misfire". So I took out the 2000 Km new AC Delco 41-108 stock plug out of #2 and the gap was .045 !!! Took it to my buddies work and looked at it under a magnifying device hooked to his computer. The iridium tip was gone !!! The other thing we noticed is the electrode was down inside the porcelain insulator further than my old 41-108's. Put an old stock plug in it with stock gap and was better. But then today got the popping again. Pulled the rest of the plugs and they were all missing the iridium tips and electrodes further down in porcelain insulator like the #2 cylinder spark plug. Changed them all out for the old ones and car is running like a champ again. Bought these plugs new in the box off Ebay.
Would these plugs be possible rejects or off spec plugs that someone has gotten a hold of and selling them on Ebay anyway ?
Or is this some other issue ??
Thanks.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Ecotec LSJ Clutch Upgrade Kit 19212712

In the description it says not for LNF cars, voids warranty. Is it that much better than a LNF oem replacement? I have to do my clutch asap and don't want to order the wrong thing.
I'm about 310/340 to the wheels and running a ky stage 3, what do you guys think? Help me out here
Old 08-03-2017, 06:24 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by SECRETARIAT
I now have about 1500 Kms on mine and seems to work really well so far.
But as Murphy's Law would have it there's a new issue:
Again my car is a 2010 Cobalt SS. ZZP dyno-tuned it about a month ago to 303 HP 325 ft-lbs !
The issue: started getting popping or backfiring from 4000 RPM up after my clutch was broken in. Had a hidden fault code 302 said: "#2 cylinder misfire". So I took out the 2000 Km new AC Delco 41-108 stock plug out of #2 and the gap was .045 !!! Took it to my buddies work and looked at it under a magnifying device hooked to his computer. The iridium tip was gone !!! The other thing we noticed is the electrode was down inside the porcelain insulator further than my old 41-108's. Put an old stock plug in it with stock gap and was better. But then today got the popping again. Pulled the rest of the plugs and they were all missing the iridium tips and electrodes further down in porcelain insulator like the #2 cylinder spark plug. Changed them all out for the old ones and car is running like a champ again. Bought these plugs new in the box off Ebay.
Would these plugs be possible rejects or off spec plugs that someone has gotten a hold of and selling them on Ebay anyway ?
Or is this some other issue ??
Thanks.
It's hard to say if someone from eBay was selling rebranded or fakes. Although it's entirely possible. On a tuned LNF I would change your plugs every 10k if you're doing a lot of pulls, if you do more daily driving and some pulls then you can usually sneak the change out to 20k (EDIT: those are miles not km)
Old 08-04-2017, 11:23 AM

About 700 miles in, smelled a little clutch so I waited till the next morning and took her on a little romp and she held fine. Must have been from a shitty shift/lots of potholes around me I might have slipped a little xD but she's holding perfectly fine afaik. Tested WOT in 2,3,4 and even hit 15lbs in 5th and she held.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:30 PM

About 700 miles in, smelled a little clutch so I waited till the next morning and took her on a little romp and she held fine. Must have been from a shitty shift/lots of potholes around me I might have slipped a little xD but she's holding perfectly fine afaik. Tested WOT in 2,3,4 and even hit 15lbs in 5th and she held.
Nice man glad it's working out for you also!
Old 08-09-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow, this thread is perfect timing. My trans failed and I have a replacement sitting on my garage floor. I just needed to start reading up on clutches before I start my swap and I found this thread. I'll likely be going with the GMPP and ZZP OEM-spec flywheel along with the other miscellaneous goodies to accompany it. Thanks guys!
Old 08-23-2017, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
ur stock clutch should hold that no problem, I think u just need a new clutch in general. id get gmpp clutch or basically any stage 2 or 3 clutch if ur staying at that power....................................except ky cause I have a grudge
Old 08-23-2017, 08:05 AM

I ordered the GMPP clutch from CED last week. It's apparently on back order from GM until late September. Just be warned.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by NickD
I ordered the GMPP clutch from CED last week. It's apparently on back order from GM until late September. Just be warned.
The OEM LNF clutch isn't too far off spec wise, it'll hold about the same as the GMPP, but is more readily available! Doesn't come with all the goodies though, it is half price...

ThatGMPartsGuy.com
Old 08-23-2017, 11:37 AM

The OEM LNF clutch isn't too far off spec wise, it'll hold about the same as the GMPP, but is more readily available! Doesn't come with all the goodies though, it is half price...

ThatGMPartsGuy.com
Thanks for the info. I've decided to wait anyway. I have a slew of work I'm doing on my Cobalt that I expected quite some downtime and have another car to drive in the meantime.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by NickD
Thanks for the info. I've decided to wait anyway. I have a slew of work I'm doing on my Cobalt that I expected quite some downtime and have another car to drive in the meantime.
I see. I was in a time crunch and bought new clutch, got a hell of a deal on an OEM flywheel, new TOB, bolts for flywheel pp and TOB, new clutch pipe, new axles, new hubs, new axle seals. Got it all done in a weekend and I've driven across PA 2 times (4 total times of driving 400 miles, 1600 miles total) and she's been fine. Put about 700 miles on "break in" before going to the highway for 6 hours straight.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:49 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
If your in a time crunch we ship out daily the KY performance stage 3 kits. Plenty in stock for a quick ship.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't heard anything bad about it, other than nobody really knows it's upper limit for torque. It's definitley underrated, but by how much is anyone's guess.

So far mine has survived 9k miles on 328/356 from the stock turbo, and so far it's holding up to abuse from a Z54 "6758" EFR. I'm kinda the guinea pig with it at the moment

Edit: Forgot to mention 2 things.
First, if you're happy with the power level you're at, the GMPP kit and a ZZP or LuK flywheel will be more than enough to cover you.

Second, if you want some handling/traction help, I suggest you look into Powell control arm bushings and rotated mounts. Helps with wheel hop and limits movement in the suspension that shouldn't be there, helping to plant the power.
In regards to the rotated trans mounts, are ZZP mounts the same as the Powells and OTTP's in design, etc. Looking for traction help as mentioned above.
Thanks.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SECRETARIAT
In regards to the rotated trans mounts, are ZZP mounts the same as the Powells and OTTP's in design, etc. Looking for traction help as mentioned above.
Thanks.
Powell’s are legit. He worked with GM for years engineering parts specifically for our cars. As for ZZP, I’m sure they’re good but Powell has been in it for a lot longer than they have so I’d go with his parts. Ask him for yourself.