2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Blown Head Gasket or Cracked Block

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown Head Gasket or Cracked Block

Figured I should start a new thread since the other seems to have gotten stale.

Continuation of :

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...ebuild-325360/

Ran an oil analysis and the sample tested positive for glycol, 0.12%. This doesn't seem to match the amount of coolant I lost. Judging by amount I put into the surge tank, I lost upwards of 1 L of coolant, so I would expect the glycol percentages to be much higher.

I tied in an air connection to the coolant surge tank to pressurize the system. Can't hear any leaks, and it doesn't seem like I am losing pressure.

Now I need to determine whether my head gasket has failed, or if I have a cracked block.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by LTBALTBMX
Figured I should start a new thread since the other seems to have gotten stale.

Continuation of :

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...ebuild-325360/

Ran an oil analysis and the sample tested positive for glycol, 0.12%. This doesn't seem to match the amount of coolant I lost. Judging by amount I put into the surge tank, I lost upwards of 1 L of coolant, so I would expect the glycol percentages to be much higher.

I tied in an air connection to the coolant surge tank to pressurize the system. Can't hear any leaks, and it doesn't seem like I am losing pressure.

Now I need to determine whether my head gasket has failed, or if I have a cracked block.
What is 0.12% of 5 quarts? Not much, 5mL .
Old 11-27-2017, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Porus block
Old 11-27-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by umrdyldo
What is 0.12% of 5 quarts? Not much, 5mL .
I would assume the glycol would burn off way faster than the oil, so it wouldn't be easy to make a direct calculation like that.

OP take a closer look at things, either you have a porus block which will require a new engine (which taking down an engine is a fun experience when you know you're replacing it) or you have to do a head gasket, if the head gasket is the issue you should be able to see right away in the gasket. Then you just have the gasket and head studs to replace. iirc you have a winter car so you have the winter to repair it since it's not a daily. So no need to rush into things and at the very least you'll have fun ripping into the engine.