Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LNF Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/)
-   -   Cam phaser question (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/cam-phaser-question-308491/)

paintballerr78 03-30-2014 10:41 PM

Cam phaser question

Recentlty my car has not been wanting to run at all. I am getting a p0336 code for the crankshat sensor. I changed out the sensor/hardwired the sensor in and also checked all my wiring. Still the car will not idle at all or run. Now i understand there is a correlation between the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor and im starting to think my camshaft sensor is not working. I went into my rpf to check my cam phaser angle on a hunch and it says no data. Could this possibly be why my car wont idle my camshaft sensor is fried. Any help will be amazing at this point

ItalianJoe1 03-30-2014 11:21 PM

Yeah 336 isn't the normal crank failure code. That has to be something with the cam system. I'm not gonna look it up right this second but I've seen them fail, I would replace both just to be on the safe side.

paintballerr78 03-31-2014 12:21 AM

i replaced the crank sensor now im gonna order the camshaft sensor. If that fails only other thought is maybe the camshaft variable timing solenoids on the top of the valve cover

This is what it says for the code when i looked it up
Primary malfunction signal and criteria-p0336 unexpected re-synchronization> loss of reference mark

ctn2mb 03-31-2014 04:02 AM

If you remove the CPS you have to set it the correct way. Also the cam phaser shows data not available because that code your pulling disables VVT.

paintballerr78 03-31-2014 09:15 AM

The CPS only goes in one way it has one bolt in spot so I imagine that only goes one way. I'm talking about the sensor that's whine the hpfp

Slowbalt2000 03-31-2014 09:29 AM

i kinda read through this, but i figured id post it because it may help you.

DTC Descriptors
DTC P0335

Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit

DTC P0336

Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Performance

DTC P0338

Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit High Duty Cycle

Diagnostic Fault Information

Circuit/System Description

The crankshaft position (CKP) sensor circuits consist of an engine control module (ECM) supplied 5-volt reference circuit, low reference circuit, and an output signal circuit. The CKP sensor is an internally magnetic biased digital output integrated circuit sensing device. The sensor detects magnetic flux changes of the teeth and slots of a 58-tooth reluctor wheel on the crankshaft. Each tooth on the reluctor wheel is spaced at 60-tooth spacing, with 2 missing teeth for the reference gap. The CKP sensor produces an ON/OFF DC voltage of varying frequency, with 58 output pulses per crankshaft revolution. The frequency of the CKP sensor output depends on the velocity of the crankshaft. The CKP sensor sends a digital signal, which represents an image of the crankshaft reluctor wheel, to the ECM as each tooth on the wheel rotates past the CKP sensor. The ECM uses each CKP signal pulse to determine crankshaft speed and decodes the crankshaft reluctor wheel reference gap to identify crankshaft position. This information is then used to sequence the ignition timing and fuel injection events for the engine. The ECM also uses CKP sensor output information to determine the camshaft relative position to the crankshaft, to detect cylinder misfire, and to control the camshaft position (CMP) actuator if equipped.

Conditions for Running the DTC

The engine is cranking or operating.
The ECM has detected greater than 12 camshaft revolutions.
The DTCs run continuously once the above conditions are met for greater than 5 seconds.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

P0335

The ECM does not detect a signal from the CKP sensor. OR, the ECM detects a CKP signal with out reference pulse for more than 6 revolutions. Either condition exists for greater than 4 seconds or a cumulative of 50 seconds.

P0336

The ECM re-syncs the engine position 2,600 or more times during an ignition cycle. OR, the ECM detects 28 or more interruptions in the engine speed signal during an ignition cycle. Either condition exists for greater than 4 seconds or a cumulative of 50 seconds.

P0338

The ECM detects a difference of more than 250 teeth between reference gap position pulses for 4 consecutive crankshaft revolutions in which the same number of pulses are detected each crankshaft revolution or a cumulative of 50 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTCs P0335, P0336, and P0338 are Type A DTCs.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

DTCs P0335, P0336, and P0338 are Type A DTCs.

Diagnostic Aids

The ECM uses the camshaft position sensors to determine engine speed and position when there is a CKP sensor condition.
The engine will operate with a CKP sensor condition only if the ECM has stored the learned reference position of the camshafts in memory. With a crankshaft position sensor condition the engine will go into a limp home mode after a restart. The ECM then calculates engine speed from one of the camshaft position sensors.
An intermittent condition in the camshaft position (CMP) sensor circuits can cause a CKP DTC to set. Inspect the CMP sensor, harness connections, and related wiring, if you suspect this condition.
Test the current out-put of the signal circuit if you suspect high resistance in the circuit. The current out-put should be greater than 1 mA when measured on the 400 mA scale.
A low fuel condition may set DTC P0336. If the fuel tank is allowed to run dry and numerous attempts are made to restart the engine after the initial stall, DTC P0336 may set. Any other condition that results in fuel starvation where unsuccessful start attempts are made may set DTC P0336.

Reference Information
Schematic Reference

Engine Controls Schematics (See: Powertrain Management\Diagrams\Electrical)
Connector End View Reference

Component Connector End Views (See: Diagrams\Connector Views)
Electrical Information Reference

Circuit Testing (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics)
Connector Repairs (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics)
Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics)
Wiring Repairs (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics)

DTC Type Reference

Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions (See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions)
Scan Tool Reference

Control Module References (See: Testing and Inspection\Programming and Relearning) for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification

Ignition OFF, inspect the engine wiring harness carrying the CKP sensor circuits for the following conditions:

Close routing of aftermarket electrical equipment
Close to solenoids, motors, and relays

¤ Correct any wire harness routing or component placement conditions if it is determined to be a possible source of electrical interference.

Ignition ON, engine OFF, use the live plot function on the scan tool. Select the engine speed parameter and the CKP sensor parameter. Change the minimum spec to 400 RPM for both parameters. Change the maximum spec to 4,000 RPM for both parameters.
Start the engine and observe the scan tool.
Quickly accelerate and release the accelerator pedal several times. Do not accelerate past 4,000 RPM. The two graphed lines on the live plot display should track together across the screen.

Circuit/System Testing

Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the CKP sensor.
Ignition OFF, test for less than 1 ohm of resistance between the low reference circuit terminal 2 and ground.

¤ If greater than the specified range, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Ignition ON, engine OFF, test for 4.8-5.2 volts between the 5-volt reference circuit terminal 1 and ground.

¤ If less than the specified range, test the 5-volt reference circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
¤ If greater than the specified range, test the 5-volt reference circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Ignition ON, engine OFF, test for 4.8-5.2 volts between the signal circuit terminal 3 and ground.

¤ If less than the specified range, test the signal circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
¤ If greater than the specified range, test the signal circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Ignition OFF, connect a fused jumper wire to signal circuit terminal 3.
Ignition ON, momentarily touch the other end of the fused jumper wire to the battery negative post repeatedly. The CKP Active Counter and the CMP sensor parameter should change.

¤ If the CKP Active Counter and the CMP sensor parameter change, test or replace the CKP sensor.
¤ If the CKP Active Counter and the CMP sensor parameter does not change, replace the ECM.

Ignition OFF, inspect the CKP sensor for correct installation.

¤ If the sensor is loose, inspect the sensor and the O-ring for damage. Replace as necessary.

Inspect the engine for the following conditions:

Engine oil for debris
Crankshaft reluctor wheel for damage
Timing chain, tensioner, and sprockets for wear or damage

¤ If debris is found in the engine oil, inspect the internal engine components to determine the cause. Repair or replace any worn or damaged components. Refer to Camshaft Timing Chain and Sprocket Cleaning and Inspection () and Camshaft Cleaning and Inspection ().

If all circuits and components test normal, test or replace the CKP sensor.

Component Testing

Important: You must perform the Circuit/System Testing before proceeding with Component Testing.

Remove the CKP sensor and inspect the sensor and the O-ring for damage.

¤ If the sensor is loose, incorrectly installed, or damaged, replace the CKP sensor.

Connect the connector to the CKP sensor.
Ignition ON, engine OFF, observe the CKP Active Counter while passing a steel object by the tip of the sensor repeatedly. The CKP Active Counter should increment.

¤ If the CKP Active Counter does not increment, replace the CKP sensor.

Repair Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification (See: Verification Tests) after completing the diagnostic procedure.

Control Module References (See: Testing and Inspection\Programming and Relearning) for ECM replacement, setup, and programming
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement (See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Crankshaft Position Sensor\Service and Repair)

paintballerr78 03-31-2014 02:18 PM

I checked the harness for volts got 4.8 as specified. I'm stating to think mate it's my computer that is messed up since I had a bent pin to the fuse

Slowbalt2000 03-31-2014 03:12 PM

There was a nifty little chart included with that info that says the p0336 has to do with a weak signal from the sensor signal wire.

paintballerr78 03-31-2014 05:41 PM

its weird i checked all the wiring and its perfectly fine i checked from the sensor back to the main harness then went and checked where it connected to my pcm this is just becoming a pain.

EDIT Went and checked the terminals for volts and ohms on terminal one the 5 volt reference i get 5 volts with a multimeter in the connecter itself. When I go to check terminals 2/3 inside the connector i get no reading but when i go and check pre connector i get readings. So its making me think my actual connector that goes to the sensor itself it whats messed up

SSlobalt 03-31-2014 07:55 PM

Good job, sir!. That means the wire has broken away from the pin. That usually occurs from a good yanking. You can test continuity through the connector and give the connector a "wiggle" while having the leads connected. You should reach continuity at some point, meaning you have a wire break.

Powell Race Parts 03-31-2014 08:17 PM

^^^ well resolved and discussed. kudos/ diagnostic bulletin very big help . The op has a volt/ohm meter and understands ohms law: priceless.

almost want to stay on this forum with threads like this.

paintballerr78 04-08-2014 08:40 AM

well i installed a new connector have a reading for all 3 ports..still nothing im a utter loss right now with what to do. Idk if it matters but i have my car on jackstands when i start it and its under a quarter tank of gas

PrincessTurbo 04-08-2014 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by paintballerr78 (Post 7318954)
well i installed a new connector have a reading for all 3 ports..still nothing im a utter loss right now with what to do. Idk if it matters but i have my car on jackstands when i start it and its under a quarter tank of gas

if you are testing the leads at the sensors with the correct loads and resistances then its probably the sensors in question that are bad..

ECU's can go bad, it is possible but rare in my opinion especially for a Bosch one. I have an extra ECU laying around. everyone should just for the what ifs. There are a few people with factory bad ECU's . One time I seen a guys car act like a ghost where the speedo even with the car completely off the needle would jump around, random LED's and lights would come on. It was a bad BCM and ECU , the BCM caused it to short.

In your case start with new sensors or ECU if you are at a stand still. I don't see much else you can do besides going through the whole loom or replacing it .

when did it all start happening anything significant replaced or changed before hand?

paintballerr78 04-08-2014 01:16 PM

Changed the crank sensor along with the connector going to it power all the way to the sensor. Trying to do a Ecu relearn now with my extra stock Ecu. It all happened after getting cams installed by ZZP along with a tune. The car threw a p0336 codes then but it would start after the first attempt

Probably would be nice if I had the tool to see if the counters change to when I pass a metal object past the ckp sensor

Could the main harness be the issue as stated here
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/prob...sensor-300793/

PrincessTurbo 04-08-2014 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by paintballerr78 (Post 7319184)
Changed the crank sensor along with the connector going to it power all the way to the sensor. Trying to do a Ecu relearn now with my extra stock Ecu. It all happened after getting cams installed by ZZP along with a tune. The car threw a p0336 codes then but it would start after the first attempt

Probably would be nice if I had the tool to see if the counters change to when I pass a metal object past the ckp sensor

Could the main harness be the issue as stated here
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/prob...sensor-300793/

Not insulting your install skills but did you disconnect the battery before doing the cam work etc?

Shorts can really screw you. Always check your fuses it could be something that simple. I remember someone having some similar issues took weeks to track down , ended up being a fuse .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/390434965706?lpid=82
Id just replace the fucking thing as much as you are ready to light it on fire.. lol

paintballerr78 04-08-2014 02:06 PM

ZZP did the install so im guessing they did everything as needed. I looked at that harness some of the plugs are all messed up so i wasnt going to bother. I also checked all the fuses under the hood and nothing...IM gonn just burn the car

PrincessTurbo 04-08-2014 02:36 PM

ill take the engine and trans .. you can have mine .....

paintballerr78 04-08-2014 02:43 PM

Hahah im honestly thinking only other thing i can do is swap the whole engine harness only thing im afraid of is i spend 400 on that and it still doesnt work then ill seriously burn the car. What else could honestly be causing this besides what ive done. Ive changed the crank sensor/hardwired in the sensor/changed the connector. I tried doing a new PCM but it wont start at all i did the relearn like 3 times now try to start it nothing leave key in run leave on for 10 minutes after that shut off for 5 try to start again and repeated those steps.

PrincessTurbo 04-08-2014 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by paintballerr78 (Post 7319263)
Hahah im honestly thinking only other thing i can do is swap the whole engine harness only thing im afraid of is i spend 400 on that and it still doesnt work then ill seriously burn the car. What else could honestly be causing this besides what ive done. Ive changed the crank sensor/hardwired in the sensor/changed the connector. I tried doing a new PCM but it wont start at all i did the relearn like 3 times now try to start it nothing leave key in run leave on for 10 minutes after that shut off for 5 try to start again and repeated those steps.

just showed you a harness for 200....

paintballerr78 04-08-2014 03:01 PM

i just ordered a brand new one for 275 that one was missing plugs and had broken plugs. If this doesnt work the car will be burned to the ground

ItalianJoe1 04-08-2014 03:55 PM

If the new ECU isn't learning you still don't know that the ecu isn't the problem. I'd still suggest trying that before you replace the whole harness and still have a potentially faulty computer.

paintballerr78 04-08-2014 04:14 PM

the relearn isnt working is the issue ive tried everything. After plugging in the new ECU i go to start it nothing. I leave the key in run and let the car sit for 10 minutes i then turn it off for 5-10 then do this step 2 times after the intial turning into 30 minutes of the car on and 15 off and it wont start when i go to start it itll just shut everything off

Powell Race Parts 04-08-2014 05:09 PM

I agree with Italian Joe this can happen the ECU failing. Or the BCM> start with the ECU cheers and good luck

paintballerr78 04-08-2014 05:19 PM

bad thing is i have to do a clutch pedal relearn it seems and i have no way to get my car to the dealer for them to do this

SSlobalt 04-08-2014 06:48 PM

Car on fire, yet?