2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Charge Pipes bov

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Charge Pipes / bpv / circulated bov questions

So hear that basically if I put my intake I have here on and tune the Upper Charge pipe will probably blow.

Most companies it looks like make aluminum charge pipes, but I hear they chafe and wear through, plus don't handle as much boost.

I see Hahn has charge pipes that seem ok, but hear people have had issue with them fitting under the hood properly. Not sure how many have had that issue, and thread I read was from 2008, so hoping that's fixed by now. I see back in 2008 they were planning on coming out with a BOV for the hanh charge pipes later that year, but I see today it still says to come... so in three years they haven't released their BOV?
I hear our BOV leaks, and the Hanh one they were suppose to have was a recirculating BOV, like the one we have by default. They are suppose to be best from what I read as it helps spool up faster.

Also our intercooler, how many people exactly have broke that?
I've been looking at the Autowerks intercoolers seem to be the best for handling boost from what I read and fit under the front lip.

So with all that said, why are their so many aluminum charge pipes if they're not that great?

What's the options for other charge pipes that aren't Hanh that are good that aren't aluminum?

What's the deal with Hanh's BOV? anyone know?

How much boost would I be loosing with a tune from our leaky BOV?

How many people busted their factory intercooler?

How much boost can the factory intercooler handle?

How many people have busted their upper charge pipe?

Recommendations welcome, but you have to back them up with some facts as to why you'd recommend one over the other. I like specs and experiences.

Last edited by nutty21; 09-17-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:44 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by nutty21
So hear that basically if I put my intake I have here on and tune the Upper Charge pipe will probably blow.

Most companies it looks like make aluminum charge pipes, but I hear they chafe and wear through, plus don't handle as much boost.

I see Hahn has charge pipes that seem ok, but hear people have had issue with them fitting under the hood properly. Not sure how many have had that issue, and thread I read was from 2008, so hoping that's fixed by now. I see back in 2008 they were planning on coming out with a BOV for the hanh charge pipes later that year, but I see today it still says to come... so in three years they haven't released their BOV?
I hear our BOV leaks, and the Hanh one they were suppose to have was a recirculating BOV, like the one we have by default. They are suppose to be best from what I read as it helps spool up fater.

Also our intercooler, how many people exactly have broke that?
I've been looking at the Autowerks intercoolers seem to be the best for handling boost from what I read and fit under the front lip.

Recommendations welcome, but you have to back them up with some facts as to why you'd recommend one over the other. I like specs and experiences.

So with all that said, why are their so many aluminum charge pipes if they're not that great?

Why would you think Aluminum charge pipes are no good? Thats crazy, they are better than plastic ones. What other options for charge pipes have you seen?

What's the options for other charge pipes that aren't Hanh that are good that aren't aluminum?

I dunno, I think ZZP upper pipe is pretty good but its aluminum.

What's the deal with Hanh's BOV? anyone know?

cant answer.

How much boost would I be loosing with a tune from our leaky BOV?

hard to say, if your tuned to 23 psi, you may only see 20-21psi with a larger Intercooler. What you will really see is Huge Negative fuel trims.. LTFTs.

Alot. I am one of them and it wasnt because of boost. It was debris in the road :/ They are not exactly the sturdiest piece.

How much boost can the factory intercooler handle?

some have seen up to 30psi, but this is dependant on atmospheric conditions, and how the operator drives.

None.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:54 PM

Why would you think Aluminum charge pipes are no good? Thats crazy, they are better than plastic ones. What other options for charge pipes have you seen?

Steel pipes. Aluminum is suppose to chafe or wear, and don't handle the boost of no weld steel.

Alot. I am one of them and it wasnt because of boost. It was debris in the road :/ They are not exactly the sturdiest piece.

Yeah I know the plastic end caps are crap, that's why I was wondering how much boost that could handle too. Hear a lot of people cracked theirs bottoming out on the road. That and lower charge pipe.

None.

Now I know that's not true...
Old 09-16-2011, 03:27 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
hey hey chill, lol. Im just answering the question to the best of my knowledge. At least that tells you the list of people who bust there uppercharge pipe (not because of RECALL) are minimal.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by CudaJoe
hey hey chill, lol. Im just answering the question to the best of my knowledge. At least that tells you the list of people who bust there uppercharge pipe (not because of RECALL) are minimal.
But I've heard the plastic was burst easily, and I've heard Nick had an aluminum blow on him. The company replaced it, but still leaves a guy wondering.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We don't drive diesels hawse, you won't run more boost than a aluminum cp will hold on a Cobalt. Maybe if your making 800 hp but still I know 1 gens and evo's around my area that are over 700 whp with aluminum cp.

But if you want steel OTTP makes a complete kit that are SS.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:14 PM

*****Why would you think Aluminum charge pipes are no good? Thats crazy, they are better than plastic ones. What other options for charge pipes have you seen?

Steel pipes. Aluminum is suppose to chafe or wear, and don't handle the boost of no weld steel.

aluminum are fine that is what myself and everyone else with aftermarket charge pipes are using.

*****How many people have busted their upper charge pipe?

None.

nope its not....mine exploded and put a dent in the hood

Old 09-16-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS
*****Why would you think Aluminum charge pipes are no good? Thats crazy, they are better than plastic ones. What other options for charge pipes have you seen?

aluminum are fine that is what myself and everyone else with aftermarket charge pipes are using.

*****How many people have busted their upper charge pipe?

None.

nope its not....mine exploded and put a dent in the hood
Damn, that's no good.
The hahn ones I heard have space issues with the hood too, their steel, so don't blow, but brake other things around it.

The post I read people having issue with the hahn pipes was back in 2008 though, so anyone know if they worked that issue out?

Any recent purchases for hahn charge pipes?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by JBThrasher22
If you want steel OTTP makes a complete kit that are SS.
Hmm thanks,

Anyone have any experience with these?

Any good first hand reviews here?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:49 PM
QUEEF-NUGGETS

I dont know if this helps but im tuned at 24psi and on stock charge pipe.Been like that for almost 6k miles and no problems
Old 09-16-2011, 07:04 PM

i have dejon upper and lower charge pipes running 23 psi. not one problem. no problems with upper clearing the hood either
Old 09-16-2011, 07:25 PM

I have the Hahn charge pipes on my 06 LNF swap. No clearance issues with the hood, but it is very close! Only issue I had was with the GMS1 tmap (boost sensor) on the lower charge pipe. If you bolt the sensor in one way, the connector contacts the a/c compressor. If you turn it 180 degrees and bolt it in, the connector is almost touching the fan blades! So I had to turn it 90 degrees and tie-wrap it to the pipe. If you have the stock boost sensor, it's not an issue at all.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:43 PM

So also what about the bov questions?

I was hoping more people would have more imput from their experience with products and knowledge.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Banned

ok innercooler wise i pushed mine passed 35lbs sometimes 37lbs. I blew it about 9 times so i purchased the zzp innercooler. With the hahn bov its fine it just needs to be in a straight vacuum source and should be recirced. Another thing is the charge pipes litterally suck. The only okish thing was the exaust. so if i had to choose from one or the other id go with zzp!!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3
ok innercooler wise i pushed mine passed 35lbs sometimes 37lbs. I blew it about 9 times so i purchased the zzp innercooler. With the hahn bov its fine it just needs to be in a straight vacuum source and should be recirced. Another thing is the charge pipes litterally suck. The only okish thing was the exaust. so if i had to choose from one or the other id go with zzp!!
So xzp charge pipes? What about.the chafe/ware factor of aluminum?

So how much does the leak of our valve come into play?
should.i bother with a bov?
What about a bpv?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:08 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been tuned on GMS1 (23 psi) for a year and a half, and have never busted a charge piping or intercooler. It's just luck imo, some people have broken tons of them, others hold just fine. This chafe factor thing your talking about will only occur if the charge pipes are too tall or don't bolt down to the valve cover like stock does. It's not the fact that their aluminum or anything, it's the design of the pipes themselves. The stock Bypass valve holds boost just fine. IMO a blowoff valve is a useless hassle on these cares unless you are going with a bigger turbo. Just get an intake and you'll enjoy the extra sound.

the PWerks intercooler is very well designed imo, and the zzp one is good for being cheaper. ZZP charge pipes are a good design.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by TommypSS/TC
I've been tuned on GMS1 (23 psi) for a year and a half, and have never busted a charge piping or intercooler. It's just luck imo, some people have broken tons of them, others hold just fine. This chafe factor thing your talking about will only occur if the charge pipes are too tall or don't bolt down to the valve cover like stock does. It's not the fact that their aluminum or anything, it's the design of the pipes themselves. The stock Bypass valve holds boost just fine. IMO a blowoff valve is a useless hassle on these cares unless you are going with a bigger turbo. Just get an intake and you'll enjoy the extra sound.

the PWerks intercooler is very well designed imo, and the zzp one is good for being cheaper. ZZP charge pipes are a good design.
yeah werks sounds like the best intercooler, but pricey.
Zzp innercooler I heard hangs beliw the lip?
So no new bvp then.
What about mounts. Seen clips that show how that engine can jump.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:25 PM
AWD > FWD

Some people swear by mounts, others will say that they don't see them as worth the money, idk, never ran them myself. Yes the zzp intercooler hangs below the lip, but everyone I've talked to always says that they've even scraped their lip and not hurt then intercooler, not sure how that works but whatever. I think either would be fine, but after reading up on intercooler design, werks still seems like the best one. one of those "expensive but worth it things" idk I wouldn't even worry about an intercooler that much unless you plan to turbo swap or the stock ones breaks imo.

IMO the best engine mods for this car are downpipe, intake, and upper charge piping, and of course a tune.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by TommypSS/TC
Some people swear by mounts, others will say that they don't see them as worth the money, idk, never ran them myself. Yes the zzp intercooler hangs below the lip, but everyone I've talked to always says that they've even scraped their lip and not hurt then intercooler, not sure how that works but whatever. I think either would be fine, but after reading up on intercooler design, werks still seems like the best one. one of those "expensive but worth it things" idk I wouldn't even worry about an intercooler that much unless you plan to turbo swap or the stock ones breaks imo.

IMO the best engine mods for this car are downpipe, intake, and upper charge piping, and of course a tune.
Dp on earlier this week.
Intake in my closet, waiting for tune first as I heatd can be issues with out a tune.
Then ill retune.
Looking at getting the upper charge pipe at the very least. Dont have a lot of moneu at the moment, but cars going with to ireland so I want to make sure it tip top before I go.

I had ordered a trifecta tune, but decided to return it, and I want to go hp tuners, just waiting to hear back from ricecop, or at least I,think im waiting for him to write me lol.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:10 PM

Also couplers.
Use factory rubber or zzp silicone?

I hear the stock rubber ones are good becaues they flex well.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Bump
Old 09-17-2011, 11:56 AM

i personally would not bother with a bov unless you have to...ie turbo swap...there have been a few issues with the stock bpv but not many....i am not aware of any leaky bpv's but that's not to say they don't exist. as far as the hahn bpv as far as i know chevycobaltss3 is the only one with that unit. hahn hasn't updated their website or posted on the forums in like 2 years and their quality for the price isn't all that great imo. you should be good with aluminum cp's that's what most of us have and either way you go id do silicone couplers with tbolt clamps. i would upgrade the intercooler....it gets heatsoaked easy and the endtanks are prone to breaking....my choice is treadstone or zzp for the ic
Old 09-17-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS
i personally would not bother with a bov unless you have to...ie turbo swap...there have been a few issues with the stock bpv but not many....i am not aware of any leaky bpv's but that's not to say they don't exist. as far as the hahn bpv as far as i know chevycobaltss3 is the only one with that unit. hahn hasn't updated their website or posted on the forums in like 2 years and their quality for the price isn't all that great imo. you should be good with aluminum cp's that's what most of us have and either way you go id do silicone couplers with tbolt clamps. i would upgrade the intercooler....it gets heatsoaked easy and the endtanks are prone to breaking....my choice is treadstone or zzp for the ic
Thanks for the info. I think chevycobaltss3 mentioned he thought the hanh charge pipes suxed, but I don't think he mentioned he had the hanh bpv. Still a tiny curious about the bvp,
hanh themselves are the only ones I think mentioned about the.stalk bvp leaking.

Sounds like majority have been saying go zzp for the upper charge pipe, don't worry about the lower, and replace the intercooler if it breaks, otherwise just leave it.
That all sound about right?

So from what I hear I need to tune before putting the intake on our there will be issues, then need to retune after, correct?
Old 09-17-2011, 12:33 PM
AWD > FWD

No, just wait till your gonna get a tune, then slap the intake on. Most intakes on stock tune will be ok, usually tuned cars get thrown off worse if you tune a different intake. I've been running my k&n for a few
Months and the fuel trims are fine. No real need to double tune. Just schedule your tune, and before you get tuned, slap the intake on.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:40 PM

Bump, still wouldn't mind hearing from a few others here on all discussed.

Quick Reply: Charge Pipes bov