2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Clogged Cat with tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clogged Cat with tune?

Okay, so I was talking with Reign1 today.

I'm thinking about getting the CIA Stainless DP with high flow CAT.

I do plan on getting tuned as well once all my bolt ons are done.

Has anyone with a tune noticed their cats getting clogged?

I have a muffler delete right now and I know going catless I'd be loud as ***** (I'd get the muffler put back on of course).

I d have to pass emissions here in PA every year. So, which route should I go if plan on getting tuned?

Catless DP - putting muffler back on

OR

Catted DP leaving muffler off

I'm mainly concerned about the CAT getting clogged or not. Anyone with experience chime in. THANKS!

bump, anyone?

bump, anyone?

Last edited by wantedSS/TC; 06-10-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-10-2009, 05:26 PM

yeah, that's what I heard ... just wanted to get some opinions on here .... back on with the muffler and off with the stock DP it is then ... replace with a catless DP
Old 06-10-2009, 05:27 PM

^deleted my message.. just realized I was in the LNF section.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:27 PM

meh, same difference though ... it's still probably going to get the same results ... sc or not
Old 06-10-2009, 06:32 PM

Why worry about a clogged cat? The tune is supposed to remove fuel most areas and add it when it calls for it. These cars, like most run pig rich from the factory. Look at your tailpipe and tell me they don't. A high flow cat wouldn't get clogged by fuel or excess oil in my opinion. I have had many, many cars that I have swapped high flow cats into and never had a problem.

Seems like Reign is the only one that talks about clogged cats....

I ordered a catted DP from Turbo tech last week, and I am waiting to put it on. I'm not worried about them clogging, ESPECIALLY with a tune of any kind....

Also, I don't want to sound like a hippy - but cats are on cars for a reason. They help lower toxic emissions. We can all sit back and say "not in my lifetime", but I wonder what the people 100's of years ago said when they burned massive amounts of coal to fuel their houses. Now we have a hole in the ozone layer.

Sure, one car woun't make that hole bigger, but if we continually do stupid (and ILLEGAL mind you) things like removing cats before 50,000 miles without them being damaged, someone will have to pay the price...someday.

Last edited by Donny Brasco; 06-10-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-10-2009, 06:51 PM

if you run stupid rich on tune with stock cats you can clog them with the large excess of unburned fuel deposits and if you run stupid lean you will burn them out from heat. if you got emissions to pass every year then go wit a catted DP or you wil not pass. a muffler has nothing to do with emissions only sound pollution.

The products of combusion pass through the cats creating chemical reactions with the different materials based on the gas being HC, C0, N0x inside the cat to form c02 and water vapours and nitrogen these materials are expensive materials so dont through them away. (Platinum, Palladium in oxidizing cats usualy the pre-cats usualy 2, this cat chemicaly produces water vapour and carbon dioxide. and Rhodium in the reducing post-cat speeding the the chemical reaction removing oxygen from NOx to make nitrogen)

These chemical reactions are most efficient at 14.7 Air fuel ratio the richer or leaner the poorer the reactions ans thus do cause factory cat clogging so ppl run high flow cats

as for the above post there is no actual hole or we would all die from radiation. Ozone is consantly created but also destroyed by emisions from everything! the industrial industry is harming it the worst right next to SHIP LINERS being the worst there is. the is no emision laws for tankers YET but will be soon they are planning on. i can get a technical about it but im not going to.

Hope this filled your minds with a little
thanks

Last edited by sheldon729; 06-10-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Donny Brasco
These cars, like most run pig rich from the factory. Look at your tailpipe and tell me they don't.
Actually, they don't . If anything they are tuned lean from the factory. When I dyno'd mine (bone stock) it never dropped below a 13 afr (well maybe like 12.8 at the very top end). The dyno guys were worried because of how comparatively lean it was.

The stuff you see at the end of your tailpipe is PM (particulate material - aka soot) - a byproduct of the DI process. It would be there even if you ran super lean all the time. DI cars put out as much soot as a diesel engine.

If you don't believe me I can dig up some of the studies done in the EU that show the PM emissions from a GDi is as high as a diesel, and recommending the same particulate filters that modern diesel engines are required to have.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say go catless, then change out your stock DP once a year for inspection, considering how easy it is to change this out. Cheaper and more power. A little more work, but fck it, its worth it.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will a clogged cat hurt performance? Because I have a Trifecta Tune and at WOT it goes into the 11's so how will I know if I have a clogged cat?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:17 PM

click.. i think mine may be clogged
Old 06-11-2009, 12:12 AM

a clogged cat wil affect performance its restricting exhaust flow! you can find out by taking a therma heat gun and pointing it at the inlet pipe of the cat and the outlet pipe of the cat and if the temp going in is hoter then going out then the cat is plugged. the temps in and out should be relativly the same.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:13 AM

a clogged cat wil affect performance its restricting exhaust flow! you can find out by taking a thermal heat gun and pointing it at the inlet pipe of the cat and the outlet pipe of the cat and if the temp going in is hoter then going out then the cat is plugged. the temps in and out should be relativly the same.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:37 AM

As an emissions discussion, its not so much a matter of clogging it... but if the aftermarket tune isn't running properly to get the cat lit (ie: too rich in cruise) ... you will kill it with a quickness. At the very least you will kill its efficiency.

If the cat deteriorates and clogs the exhaust flow, .... well you know the outcome of that.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:40 AM

What if it makes an insanely large pop when you stomp on it in 2nd gear? lol
Old 06-11-2009, 08:39 AM

a large pop possible pre detonation or you could be running to rich in conditions you dont need to be and your getting ignition in the exhaust. many things
Old 06-11-2009, 10:01 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by sheldon729
as for the above post there is no actual hole or we would all die from radiation. Ozone is consantly created but also destroyed by emisions from everything! the industrial industry is harming it the worst right next to SHIP LINERS being the worst there is. the is no emision laws for tankers YET but will be soon they are planning on. i can get a technical about it but im not going to.

Hope this filled your minds with a little
thanks
http://www.theozonehole.com/

There's your hole It's actually defined as a really low low low concentration of ozone compared to the surrounding ozone areas, so it's pretty much a hole.

And based on this website, your right. The ozone degregrades over the antartic year round when ice starts to form.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by wantedSS/TC
Okay, so I was talking with Reign1 today.

I'm thinking about getting the CIA Stainless DP with high flow CAT.

I do plan on getting tuned as well once all my bolt ons are done.

Has anyone with a tune noticed their cats getting clogged?

I have a muffler delete right now and I know going catless I'd be loud as ***** (I'd get the muffler put back on of course).

I d have to pass emissions here in PA every year. So, which route should I go if plan on getting tuned?

Catless DP - putting muffler back on

OR

Catted DP leaving muffler off

I'm mainly concerned about the CAT getting clogged or not. Anyone with experience chime in. THANKS!

bump, anyone?

bump, anyone?
its not really loud at all and i have catless dp and mufflerdelete it sounds like sex actually
Old 06-11-2009, 10:32 AM

Rissas stock cat is getting clogged.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 AM

Catless and depending on how rich your tune is yes you can **** the cat with a tune.

Catless D/P with the angled o2 bung to offset any COT codes you may get!
Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 AM

I'm not rich at all...I'm running at 12.8, and sometimes it'll pop insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanely loud when I really get on it lol and sometimes it feels like the car just doesn't feel like performing it's best on certain days. I put the stock ecu in that way I can feel what going slow really feels like, because sometimes my car doesn't feel the same. And is it not true that if your cat is clogged it'll boost abnormally high but you won't really feel it? Because mine doesn't do that.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:08 PM

I had an interesting problem the other day getting on the interstate, and my car is STOCK as a ROCK. I nailed the gas and sat and backfired repeatidly for about 5 seconds like I was on the NLTS. I backed out and punched it again and everything was fine.

My wife was like your car is a pile.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:12 PM

sooooo yeah. im not the only one talking bout cat problems...
Old 06-11-2009, 03:17 PM

sound wise, turbo breaks up the raspy'ness of your exhaust. with a cat i say leave the muffler off. youll still have a turbo, a cat and a resonator in your exhaust. plenty to muffle sound
Old 06-11-2009, 03:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Donny Brasco
Why worry about a clogged cat? The tune is supposed to remove fuel most areas and add it when it calls for it. These cars, like most run pig rich from the factory. Look at your tailpipe and tell me they don't. A high flow cat wouldn't get clogged by fuel or excess oil in my opinion. I have had many, many cars that I have swapped high flow cats into and never had a problem.

Seems like Reign is the only one that talks about clogged cats....

I ordered a catted DP from Turbo tech last week, and I am waiting to put it on. I'm not worried about them clogging, ESPECIALLY with a tune of any kind....

Also, I don't want to sound like a hippy - but cats are on cars for a reason. They help lower toxic emissions. We can all sit back and say "not in my lifetime", but I wonder what the people 100's of years ago said when they burned massive amounts of coal to fuel their houses. Now we have a hole in the ozone layer.

Sure, one car woun't make that hole bigger, but if we continually do stupid (and ILLEGAL mind you) things like removing cats before 50,000 miles without them being damaged, someone will have to pay the price...someday.
Stock tune is leaner than any aftermarket tune. It is around 13.4-13.0 A/F stock. Most aftermarket tunes are 12.8-11.6 A/F.

Originally Posted by Rissa
I'm not rich at all...I'm running at 12.8, and sometimes it'll pop insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanely loud when I really get on it lol and sometimes it feels like the car just doesn't feel like performing it's best on certain days. I put the stock ecu in that way I can feel what going slow really feels like, because sometimes my car doesn't feel the same. And is it not true that if your cat is clogged it'll boost abnormally high but you won't really feel it? Because mine doesn't do that.
12.8 is a little too lean IMHO. Makes more power at 12.6 or so. It actually makes a bigger difference than you might think.

Originally Posted by Rissa
What if it makes an insanely large pop when you stomp on it in 2nd gear? lol
Could be Stevo's cam changes. I have heard a couple people say they have had poping and misfire with his tune and I know that messing with those cam tables too much will cause KR and misfires. Too much cylinder pressure in some cases.

Last edited by Terminator2; 06-11-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-11-2009, 04:04 PM

Hmmmm I wonder if anyone could help me out with that. I'll see if I can get it to do it with the stock ecu in lol. I haven't had a misfire though. And maybe 3 pops since last September.

Quick Reply: Clogged Cat with tune?