2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Which clutch for my HHR SS/TC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which clutch for my HHR SS/TC?

Well, my latest R&D tune is showing me I'll need a clutch upgrade. It won't hold full boost (about 30psi) in 3rd until about 4000 RPM and forget about it in 4th and 5th. LOL

So, any recommendations for a clutch upgrade? I know it's not a Cobalt SS/TC but I'm going to assume the clutch is the same for the HHR SS/TC.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2009, 12:53 PM

You have a pm sir
Old 06-12-2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by VinceTrifecta
Well, my latest R&D tune is showing me I'll need a clutch upgrade. It won't hold full boost (about 30psi) in 3rd until about 4000 RPM and forget about it in 4th and 5th. LOL

So, any recommendations for a clutch upgrade? I know it's not a Cobalt SS/TC but I'm going to assume the clutch is the same for the HHR SS/TC.

Thanks
No idea... but just a question... isnt the HHR/TC same motor than the Cobalt SS/TC? if so... how come are you pushing 30 PSI and wats ur WHP/WTQ?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:55 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
that was my ?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:00 PM

hahn says they use clutch masters...

vince do your tunes delete the learn down feature?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:10 PM

We have a custom OS tweak that defeated the 20psi boost limit in the tune (called the Infiniboost mod). Works on the Cobalt, too, but we're still testing to see what will happen with the turbo at that boost level

I don't have numbers yet because the clutch won't hold the power.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:14 PM

woooow where can we get this upgrade>???
Old 06-12-2009, 01:32 PM

After our testing is complete, our customers will be able to get the upgrade as a "tune update"

There's other goodies we're working on also - like being able to switch between the "stage 1" tune (basically the GM Stage tune) and "stage 2" tune using the Competitive Mode selection for traction control
Old 06-12-2009, 01:35 PM

The Exedy Hyper Single will work

I think that's what I'll get when it's time to upgrade
Old 06-12-2009, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vince, i assume LSJWANNABE pm'd you about the exedy...reading the reviews thats the one i would go with.

also, ill be calling you around 3 CST.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:36 PM

After our testing is complete, our customers will be able to get the upgrade as a "tune update"

There's other goodies we're working on also - like being able to switch between the "stage 1" tune (basically the GM Stage tune) and "stage 2" tune using the Competitive Mode selection for traction control
Talked to ya on the phone the other day. This is Michael. Keep up the good work mane...how does the 30 PSI feel when it does catch? Stock turbo still keeping on keeping on?

And HB is right the exedy is probably the best clutch on the market right now for these setups.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:37 PM

how is that gonna work and whats gonna be the power difference
Old 06-12-2009, 01:37 PM

i have your tune.... around how long will it take you guys to know when its done? how much will the "upgrade' cost? wats the expecting numbers?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by ericgt79
He explained it to me on the phone the other day. What he has planned is amazing. I have a feeling high to mid 12's will be cake with the right traction.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ericgt79
We have the 2009 HHR SS/TC stage tune from GM now, so that'll be "stage 1" - it'll be the same setup for the Cobalt. They rated the tune at, what, 290HP at the crank? It's an upgrade over stock but not totally crazy.

"Stage 2" will be whatever we end up with on our car. I'm expecting at least 20HP over what we get now - on our car, in 3rd, its 20psi up until about 4000 RPM, then it jumps to the max psi, and you can feel the difference in power. It wants to torque-steer bad at 50+ MPH.

Originally Posted by cardelino18
i have your tune.... around how long will it take you guys to know when its done? how much will the "upgrade' cost? wats the expecting numbers?
I want to put some miles on the tune first - if we learn the stock turbo can't take this level of power for very long it won't make much sense to sell the tune as an upgrade. But, so far, so good. Tune upgrades are going for $75 + shipping right now, but people that own the EZ Flash cable will probably get it for less.

Originally Posted by L.P.
Talked to ya on the phone the other day. This is Michael. Keep up the good work mane...how does the 30 PSI feel when it does catch? Stock turbo still keeping on keeping on?

And HB is right the exedy is probably the best clutch on the market right now for these setups.
Stock turbo is holding up just fine. There is a big difference in pull when it jumps from 20psi to max boost. It's absolutely nuts. I wish I had a clutch that would take full power now
Old 06-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
SPEC has a clutch for your application (which we carry), same clutch as the SS/TC cobalt. PM us if you find it cheaper
Old 06-12-2009, 01:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We have a custom OS tweak that defeated the 20psi boost limit in the tune (called the Infiniboost mod). Works on the Cobalt, too, but we're still testing to see what will happen with the turbo at that boost level

That is cool except the stock turbo is way out of it efficiency range at above 23 psi if you look at the compressor map for the stock turbo there is a very small efficiency island at pressures above 23 psi. It can handle up to 30 psi in the midrange but will fall off really hard up top. Look at ZZP car with their map clamps a MBC and ported head it made 410 wtrq on the stock turbo but could muster only a 12.97 at 110 mph IIRC. It is a cool mod though if you are looking to upgrade the turbo for one designed to run those pressures.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:57 PM

Holy ****, Vince... you just got me really pumped about this! Is this a post-Stage Kit add-on?

The clutch... it just... can't... hold... the powa!
Old 06-12-2009, 01:58 PM

muhahahahahahahaha.. that is all lol
Old 06-12-2009, 02:01 PM

I just think vine's tuning skills is a bit more advanced than ZZP's just my opinion though.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stamina
Holy ****, Vince... you just got me really pumped about this! Is this a post-Stage Kit add-on?

Too much torque. Mine slips sometimes.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Terminator2
. It is a cool mod though if you are looking to upgrade the turbo for one designed to run those pressures.
Which is what we're doing with my car.
I think i got to be a guinea pig for a lot of this.

Intercooler and 3' catback are holding me back right now.

Plus, it's really awesome being able to use an in-car boost controller.

Vince is the man!
Old 06-12-2009, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by mr_buddha

Vince is the man!
ahhh so you're the cobalt test dummy?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:05 PM

Sounds to me if the ECU is almost completly cracked other than the 400 hp ceiling which I am sure vince is working on.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator2
That is cool except the stock turbo is way out of it efficiency range at above 23 psi if you look at the compressor map for the stock turbo there is a very small efficiency island at pressures above 23 psi. It can handle up to 30 psi in the midrange but will fall off really hard up top. Look at ZZP car with their map clamps a MBC and ported head it made 410 wtrq on the stock turbo but could muster only a 12.97 at 110 mph IIRC. It is a cool mod though if you are looking to upgrade the turbo for one designed to run those pressures.
With this mod you can run any boost you want without clamps, without upgraded sensors, without fear of over/underboost or MAP codes. That's why we developed it - to assist with a customer that is running the upgraded turbo but those clamps are a major PIA to dial in correctly. He can set his boost level with the MBC without having to mess with anything.

Originally Posted by Stamina

Pre or post-stage kit add-on. The only thing GM did was change the MAP/Boost sensor to 3bar sensors, change the stage tune to assume 3bar sensors, and raise the boost levels to around what most people are getting on the stock tune, which wasn't even really necessary except to prevent people from simply copying the stage tune and putting it on cars with stock sensors.

Originally Posted by L.P.
Sounds to me if the ECU is almost completly cracked other than the 400 hp ceiling which I am sure vince is working on.
I need to find someone that wants to work with me to test something here. My car doesn't have enough mods to warrant additional fuel

Originally Posted by mr_buddha

Vince is the man!
Ah ha! I wondered if you were on the forums. ;-) Yes, mr_buddha and CJ deserve a ton of credit for helping test this - hours and hours of datalogging and testing. Lol

Last edited by VinceTrifecta; 06-12-2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Which clutch for my HHR SS/TC?