Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LNF Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/)
-   -   Cold Air Intake - Cobalt SS TC plz post here (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/cold-air-intake-cobalt-ss-tc-plz-post-here-183693/)

Eddie 08-07-2009 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by northvibe (Post 4191144)
an intake does not void the warranty unless that is found to be the cause of the issue I would bring the car in for. GM JUST stated again if they find a aftermarket tune used it voids the cars warranty. Also if you see how easy it is to access the intake and turbo, swapping to a stock air box is what 15 min? then bring it to a dealer.

I ordered the stage 1 kit so that will disable the learn down feature, thus being able to use bolt ons.

Again this is a LNF not a lsj they are much different engines. That imo is why all the intakes currently are crap. No one has developed the proper intake with DI/its maf in mind. Go look at my CP-E thread and look at their MS3/MS6/cx7 sri. not only does it have the MAF in a spot to allow a straight airflow it has a air straightener. If you do your research, that was the main issue on the ms3 intakes causing cel's and mess up a/f's on even the Mazdaspeed intake along with AEM's (same intake) and a couple other brands. This isnt just a throw a pipe on a car with a filter and if it doesnt throw a code after 2 months, produce it. This needs serious R&D done. After having CP-e's intakes tested on ms3's there were no a/f issues or cel's, nothing. Again proper intake is needed and none fit the bill imo.

i'll refere u to member above with injen and 5k miles and no codes. the fact is plain and simple, u mod ur car u expect codes no matter what, thats where tuning comes into place. sorry if gm wants to void warranty over a tune, they'll void warranty over an intake, they'll find a way. plus it all depends on how anal ur dealer is.

Terminator2 08-07-2009 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie (Post 4193048)
i'll refere u to member above with injen and 5k miles and no codes. the fact is plain and simple, u mod ur car u expect codes no matter what, thats where tuning comes into place. sorry if gm wants to void warranty over a tune, they'll void warranty over an intake, they'll find a way. plus it all depends on how anal ur dealer is.

No codes does not mean no issues. It takes serious MAF skew to cause CELs. -25% LTFT will trigger a rich bank one code and +25 LTFT will trigger a lean bank one code. Injen's intake causes -7 to -8 LTFT so the car is running rich with causes bogging and power loss. Even tuned Tofu's car made 15 wrtq less than with the stock airbox.

northvibe 08-07-2009 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie (Post 4193048)

Look at CP-E's intake statement :

Originally Posted by cp-e.com
We actually made a name for ourselves selling our XCel line of intakes. The "XCel" name literally means no CEL, and we could guarantee this to people because we carefully designed and manufactured the mass air sensor housings from billet aluminum, as opposed to just using extruded aluminum pipe like most manufacturers do. Like the exhaust stuff, this would be an easy start for us and we'd guarantee no CELs from our intake.

Also I will restate what I have said before. Just because it does not throw a cel does NOT mean it is working properly. The a/f ratio can still be way out of whack. This is exactly what is happening with CIA's sri.

The warranty voiding...do you know how the warranty works? have you yourself read the fine print? They can not void over a intake unless that was caused the problem and they can prove it. A tune like HPTuners is technically "hacking" the ecu to get around the current security on it. Its just like hacking a xbox or wii. Yes it can be done, yes it works, but it breaks the warranty.

Rownan 08-07-2009 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tofu (Post 4192769)
I also dyno'd before and after with my Injen and lost torque across the board and low/mid hp.

How much of a loss? How much HP on the top end was gained?

Tofu 08-07-2009 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rownan (Post 4193195)
How much of a loss? How much HP on the top end was gained?

I lost at least 15wtq, upwards of 20+wtq in the upper RPM. I gained 5whp up top around 4k RPM but lost around 5-10whp down low.

Total waste of money for me.

2FST4U 08-07-2009 12:11 PM

The Dejon SRI is wacked on my TC. Stock MAF was running Rich with rough idle. Changed MAF with brand new now it shows Lean with rough idle. I am also looking for a new intake but dont know what to go with.

Terminator2 08-07-2009 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by 2FST4U (Post 4193228)
The Dejon SRI is wacked on my TC. Stock MAF was running Rich with rough idle. Changed MAF with brand new now it shows Lean with rough idle. I am also looking for a new intake but dont know what to go with.

Clearimage claims their CAI has no MAF skew problems but as of now no one has done an independent log to check the LTFTs and STFTs.

2FST4U 08-07-2009 12:26 PM

Well shit :lol:

wantedSS/TC 08-07-2009 12:29 PM

yeah, I'll get some logging on my Clear Image Intake once it's installed one the tune. I'll post as soon as I get the intake actually delivered.

Stamina 08-07-2009 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by northvibe (Post 4191347)
AEM did not change their intake, they just added a air straightener to the intake, ie. a drop in air straightener. the MS cai and AEM were exactly the same unit. The factory ms3 airbox did have a straightener. Well obviously the current inakes are throwing goofy numbers so there is something not right. Its not just the straightener, when I talked to cpe they also mentioned how and where the MAF is positioned inside the intake.

What's keeping us from just fabricating/popping in an air straightener for our intakes?

2FST4U 08-07-2009 12:49 PM

So lets wrap this together I have been reading in and out. Our system needs a pipe as straight as can be. I am willing to fav my own intake. I go to school for highperformance

northvibe 08-07-2009 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Stamina (Post 4193309)
What's keeping us from just fabricating/popping in an air straightener for our intakes?

no one has fabbed one, when I was talking to a company that currently makes a cobalt intake they didnt seem to care...But you also have to look at maf placement in the pipe, just adding a straightener to any intake may not fix it. Placement of the maf in the intake tube is also important.

Terminator2 08-07-2009 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stamina (Post 4193309)

I would like one for my intake. Know where you can get one for a 3.25" OD intake.

lecznar1 08-07-2009 12:56 PM

love my aem

Eddie 08-07-2009 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by northvibe (Post 4193154)
Look at CP-E's intake statement :

Also I will restate what I have said before. Just because it does not throw a cel does NOT mean it is working properly. The a/f ratio can still be way out of whack. This is exactly what is happening with CIA's sri.

The warranty voiding...do you know how the warranty works? have you yourself read the fine print? They can not void over a intake unless that was caused the problem and they can prove it. A tune like HPTuners is technically "hacking" the ecu to get around the current security on it. Its just like hacking a xbox or wii. Yes it can be done, yes it works, but it breaks the warranty.

ok, u said it ur self, umm just cuz theres no cel doesnt mean its working properly. even if CP-E makes one that doesnt throw a CEL, doesnt mean it will work properly because of THE LEARN DOWN FEATURE. so gains will be non exsistant after a while.

and yes do know how waranty works. and u should know that gm or any manufacture will come up with n e thing and everything trying to void a warranty even with a K&N replacement filter. hell if u dont change ur blinker fluid they'll void it. (sarcasm) gm will try and void the power train warranty if theres any aftermarket product on the vehicle. and yes i'm fully aware of the magnuson moss act. it doesnt mean that they still wont try and void it.

Stamina 08-07-2009 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator2 (Post 4193412)
I would like one for my intake. Know where you can get one for a 3.25" OD intake.

Well, I did some searching and found this AEM one: http://www.jscspeed.com/mazdaspeed3/...raightener.htm

I couldn't find the diameter though.

Edit: Maybe we could just ask AEM to fab one that fits their intake kit. Seems simple enough.

northvibe 08-07-2009 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie (Post 4193517)
ok, u said it ur self, umm just cuz theres no cel doesnt mean its working properly. even if CP-E makes one that doesnt throw a CEL, doesnt mean it will work properly because of THE LEARN DOWN FEATURE. so gains will be non exsistant after a while.

and yes do know how waranty works. and u should know that gm or any manufacture will come up with n e thing and everything trying to void a warranty even with a K&N replacement filter. hell if u dont change ur blinker fluid they'll void it. (sarcasm) gm will try and void the power train warranty if theres any aftermarket product on the vehicle. and yes i'm fully aware of the magnuson moss act. it doesnt mean that they still wont try and void it.

by the time cp-e makes a intake the stage kit will be out, the learn down feature is not a problem. cpe would never release an intake if they couldnt find a proper solution to why the a/f's are messed up.

The warranty anal'ness is usually based on dealer to dealer. So maybe you had a bad experience but there are plenty of dealers that dont care about parts unless they are suspicious it caused the error. I know they try to void it, not sure why as they get paid to fix it..unless they think they can make more money off you if its not under warranty, but say a sri. Thats a 15 min job to install or remove. I had my ms3 in the dealer a handful of times for random stuff and would just put my stock air box back in. I dont take the chance of them blaming that for anything. The point I was making was a intake wouldnt be as suspicious as a tune.

fulloutpwr 08-07-2009 01:43 PM

Judging by results on the LS1 cars... I think all we TRULY need is a stock lower airbox with something other than a K&N with a molded upper tube/lid combo. LS1 had a maf issue as well, even more so when owners started de-screening their maf's.

Imagine an MTI upper ls1 lid to fit the stock airbox, with a silicone hose with no sharp bends and 3.5" from lid to turbo.

Stamina 08-07-2009 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator2 (Post 4193412)

Originally Posted by Stamina (Post 4193625)
Well, I did some searching and found this AEM one: http://www.jscspeed.com/mazdaspeed3/...raightener.htm

Edit: Maybe we could just ask AEM to fab one that fits their intake kit. Seems simple enough.

That's right.. I just quoted myself... :lol:

Here's AEM's info if anybody has some down time today. I'm back at work, so I won't be able to follow up unless I get off early today or something.

AEM Induction Systems
2205 126th Street, Unit A
Hawthorne CA. 90250
Phone: (800) 992-3000
Fax: (951) 826-4001
sales@aemintakes.com

northvibe 08-07-2009 01:47 PM

yes aem distributes them, they dont sell them, but vendors have them. They were such a pita to get it made idk if you could get them to fab one. Theirs looks pretty chincy too though. the intakes with them built in are very nice, this drop in needs to be right in front of the maf, not sure if there is a cut on the current intakes? it would be VERY interesting to see the results though. Dang I knew a guy on the speed forums selling those cheap...I should go look

Eddie 08-07-2009 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by northvibe (Post 4193650)
by the time cp-e makes a intake the stage kit will be out, the learn down feature is not a problem. cpe would never release an intake if they couldnt find a proper solution to why the a/f's are messed up.

The warranty anal'ness is usually based on dealer to dealer. So maybe you had a bad experience but there are plenty of dealers that dont care about parts unless they are suspicious it caused the error. I know they try to void it, not sure why as they get paid to fix it..unless they think they can make more money off you if its not under warranty, but say a sri. Thats a 15 min job to install or remove. I had my ms3 in the dealer a handful of times for random stuff and would just put my stock air box back in. I dont take the chance of them blaming that for anything. The point I was making was a intake wouldnt be as suspicious as a tune.

nope no problems with my dealer, theyre all for modding, they even over look smog, and here in cali, we're emesions nazzis. I still think the other intakes that are out, well only Injen, is still a good intake. no codes so thats good. tune out the leaern down feature and ur good to go.

Terminator2 08-07-2009 02:01 PM

Our MAF has a similar design to that it has an inlet of the air then it flows over the sensor itself I dunno if that would help or not. The was thinking more of a honeycomb screen.

Stamina 08-07-2009 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator2 (Post 4193753)
Our MAF has a similar design to that it has an inlet of the air then it flows over the sensor itself I dunno if that would help or not. The was thinking more of a honeycomb screen.

Like that?

http://www.c5racer.com/catalog/images/HC.125-3.jpg

That just looks like it'd start getting restrictive at high flow. Also, that last thing I want is to suck so much on it that the engine injests it. :lol:

Terminator2 08-07-2009 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Stamina (Post 4193764)

Yes sir.

Stamina 08-07-2009 02:15 PM

I found some Halltech ones that looked like it was a honeycomb-incorporated MAF for Corvettes, but that's all I've been able to find.