2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Cold Air Intake - Cobalt SS TC plz post here

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cold Air Intake - Cobalt SS TC plz post here

I am looking for information on all the available CAI's for the 2008 - 2010 Cobalt SS
Please post here which Cold Air Intake is the best and why. Also please post any experiences with water ingestion. Thx!

Brands Posted so far:
AEM
Injen
Hahn
Dejon
CIA

Last edited by More_Torque_More_HP; 08-07-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by More_Torque_More_HP
I am looking for information on all the available CAI's for the 2008 - 2010 Cobalt SS
Please post here which Cold Air Intake is the best and why. Also please post any experiences with water ingestionn. Thx!
Collecting info for Stage 2!?!?
Old 08-06-2009, 05:52 PM

AEM and the CIA seem to be the ONLY one's that don't cause sever MAF skews.

Terminator2 has the AEM and has gotten "most" of the bugs worked out of the tune now.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:55 PM

I have the aem intake on stock tune and on a cold start it makes a load sucking noise, hahah , but before learn down i could feel it accelerate better. And the turbo sounds good with it.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TrevMo
Collecting info for Stage 2!?!?
we dont even have all of stage 1 yet lmao
Old 08-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Banned

All current CAI's for SS/TC blow.

We are hoping that CPE can make a good one.

/end thread.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by gr3y_f0x_n1nja
All current CAI's for SS/TC blow.

We are hoping that CPE can make a good one.

/end thread.
Not if you retune for it. I have the AEM CAI and it's larger diameter skews the MAF sensor readings. Larger diameter for a given flow decreases velocity, so the sensor 'thinks' you are getting less air than you are, the o2 feedback says I need more fuel skewing the LTFT's.

LTFT's went to +12 until I tuned for it. Now LTFT's are zero and airflow is up to 32 lbs/min on the stock CP's & DP.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Iam Broke
Not if you retune for it. I have the AEM CAI and it's larger diameter skews the MAF sensor readings. Larger diameter for a given flow decreases velocity, so the sensor 'thinks' you are getting less air than you are, the o2 feedback says I need more fuel skewing the LTFT's.

LTFT's went to +12 until I tuned for it. Now LTFT's are zero and airflow is up to 32 lbs/min on the stock CP's & DP.
thats the whole point of a intake though, plug and play and not screw up the MAF. I have contacted cpe to see if they can use their DI knowledge from bmw and the mazda's to make our SS's some parts. What if I get a stage 1 kit, to keep the stock warranty I would NOT be able to use a HPTuners tune on top of that to fix the a/f. If designed properly for the engine it will keep stock or similar parameters. Just because an intake doesnt throw a cel doesnt mean its working properly. IMO all intakes on the market are not up to spec.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:36 PM

I have had the Injen intake for approximately 5k miles and have had no issues whatsoever. No CELs. Only intake i've heard with issues is Hahn's, but i believe it has an easy fix.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:53 PM

The AEM intake threw no codes at +12 LTFT. Not sure of the threshold for a code, but I think it's around +/- 14

Most wouldn't know if it's close or not unless the CEL came on.

I'm not arguing against an intake that would be spot on to stock, but since no one has hit the combo yet, it might be a very elusive target.

I'm happy with the results of my AEM CAI with my tune. I wish I had the HP Tuners to read it when I had the Dejon SRI on. It never set a code either.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by northvibe
thats the whole point of a intake though, plug and play and not screw up the MAF. I have contacted cpe to see if they can use their DI knowledge from bmw and the mazda's to make our SS's some parts. What if I get a stage 1 kit, to keep the stock warranty I would NOT be able to use a HPTuners tune on top of that to fix the a/f. If designed properly for the engine it will keep stock or similar parameters. Just because an intake doesnt throw a cel doesnt mean its working properly. IMO all intakes on the market are not up to spec.
ok if ur so worried about warranty, then why are u contacting CPE about aftermarket intake? cuz an Intake essentially will void warranty, depending on how **** ur dealer is. if he's not **** then u dont have to worry about them voiding warranty due to tuning w/ HP Tuners. and regardless of what intake u get ur not really going to see mods once the learn down feature kicks in. and umm Injen made one hell of an intake that didnt cause any codes on the SS S/C, and 1 member above says he has 5k miles and no issues with it. u'll see initial gains from any intake but once the lean down feature kicks in ur toast, unless u tune.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
ok if ur so worried about warranty, then why are u contacting CPE about aftermarket intake? cuz an Intake essentially will void warranty, depending on how **** ur dealer is. if he's not **** then u dont have to worry about them voiding warranty due to tuning w/ HP Tuners. and regardless of what intake u get ur not really going to see mods once the learn down feature kicks in. and umm Injen made one hell of an intake that didnt cause any codes on the SS S/C, and 1 member above says he has 5k miles and no issues with it. u'll see initial gains from any intake but once the lean down feature kicks in ur toast, unless u tune.
an intake does not void the warranty unless that is found to be the cause of the issue I would bring the car in for. GM JUST stated again if they find a aftermarket tune used it voids the cars warranty. Also if you see how easy it is to access the intake and turbo, swapping to a stock air box is what 15 min? then bring it to a dealer.

I ordered the stage 1 kit so that will disable the learn down feature, thus being able to use bolt ons.

Again this is a LNF not a lsj they are much different engines. That imo is why all the intakes currently are crap. No one has developed the proper intake with DI/its maf in mind. Go look at my CP-E thread and look at their MS3/MS6/cx7 sri. not only does it have the MAF in a spot to allow a straight airflow it has a air straightener. If you do your research, that was the main issue on the ms3 intakes causing cel's and mess up a/f's on even the Mazdaspeed intake along with AEM's (same intake) and a couple other brands. This isnt just a throw a pipe on a car with a filter and if it doesnt throw a code after 2 months, produce it. This needs serious R&D done. After having CP-e's intakes tested on ms3's there were no a/f issues or cel's, nothing. Again proper intake is needed and none fit the bill imo.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Please post here which Cold Air Intake is the best and why. Also please post any experiences with water ingestionn. Thx!
i got the hahn cai, after i fixed the the breather hose issue (they dont have a way to clip it on so it can pop off) i have had 0 problems, i love it, sounds awesome. i looked at my filter today, just a little dirty, it doesnt suck up water and doesnt get wet as far as i can tell. havent thrown a cell yet after 6000+ miles
Old 08-06-2009, 08:56 PM

an intake does not void the warranty unless that is found to be the cause of the issue I would bring the car in for. GM JUST stated again if they find a aftermarket tune used it voids the cars warranty. Also if you see how easy it is to access the intake and turbo, swapping to a stock air box is what 15 min? then bring it to a dealer.

I ordered the stage 1 kit so that will disable the learn down feature, thus being able to use bolt ons.

Again this is a LNF not a lsj they are much different engines. That imo is why all the intakes currently are crap. No one has developed the proper intake with DI/its maf in mind. Go look at my CP-E thread and look at their MS3/MS6/cx7 sri. not only does it have the MAF in a spot to allow a straight airflow it has a air straightener. If you do your research, that was the main issue on the ms3 intakes causing cel's and mess up a/f's on even the Mazdaspeed intake along with AEM's (same intake) and a couple other brands. This isnt just a throw a pipe on a car with a filter and if it doesnt throw a code after 2 months, produce it. This needs serious R&D done. After having CP-e's intakes tested on ms3's there were no a/f issues or cel's, nothing. Again proper intake is needed and none fit the bill imo.
I like CP-E products...but if you looked at those AEM setups, they where 1st generation. The MS3 kit includes a straightner for the MAF. If you browse the MS3 forums you would find zero performance gain in going w/ a straightner and w/o. It just seems the MS3's MAF (which is different then ours) has more issues and throws codes. GM has always had MAF's that if they needed a straightner they had them (for those that remember the honeycomb MAFs?).....I'm not sure this MAF needs a straightner installed in them. The factory didnt do it...I guess the question for the day is does the factory setup for MS3 have an air straightner built into it or not.

GM needs better intake tube! The factory stock unit has horrible bends, and really shortends as you get to the turbo w/ an odd bend instead of a smooth transition. I run an AEM intake tube because of this (smoother) and has better fitting for the breather line (that is prone to breaking on GM's)

After that I have no issues w/ the GM setup. What did you find w/ the K&N Filter test...in most test I've seen the K&N's really barely outflow the stock paper elements. Most gains from intakes are fixing the factory piping, and installing a larger surface area filter. Just curious what you saw (saw your selling one in another post)

Last edited by boosted4dr; 08-06-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-06-2009, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by boosted4dr
I like CP-E products...but if you looked at those AEM setups, they where 1st generation. The MS3 kit includes a straightner for the MAF. If you browse the MS3 forums you would find zero performance gain in going w/ a straightner and w/o. It just seems the MS3's MAF (which is different then ours) has more issues and throws codes. GM has always had MAF's that if they needed a straightner they had them (for those that remember the honeycomb MAFs?).....I'm not sure this MAF needs a straightner installed in them. The factory didnt do it...I guess the question for the day is does the factory setup for MS3 have an air straightner built into it or not.

GM needs better intake tube! The factory stock unit has horrible bends, and really shortends as you get to the turbo w/ an odd bend instead of a smooth transition. I run an AEM intake tube because of this (smoother) and has better fitting for the breather line (that is prone to breaking on GM's)

After that I have no issues w/ the GM setup. What did you find w/ the K&N Filter test...in most test I've seen the K&N's really barely outflow the stock paper elements. Most gains from intakes are fixing the factory piping, and installing a larger surface area filter. Just curious what you saw (saw your selling one in another post)
AEM did not change their intake, they just added a air straightener to the intake, ie. a drop in air straightener. the MS cai and AEM were exactly the same unit. The factory ms3 airbox did have a straightener. Well obviously the current inakes are throwing goofy numbers so there is something not right. Its not just the straightener, when I talked to cpe they also mentioned how and where the MAF is positioned inside the intake.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 PM

AEM did not change their intake, they just added a air straightener to the intake, ie. a drop in air straightener. the MS cai and AEM were exactly the same unit. The factory ms3 airbox did have a straightener. Well obviously the current inakes are throwing goofy numbers so there is something not right. Its not just the straightener, when I talked to cpe they also mentioned how and where the MAF is positioned inside the intake.
The only issues I've heard of from intakes where on Hahns w/ the side breather coming loose. Then the CIA SRI needs some fine tuning required. After that none of the other intakes ahve thrown codes unlike MS3's

I had the Dejon SRI w/ no codes or issues noted. Installed factory box due to rubbing issues though
Old 08-07-2009, 08:54 AM

Brands Posted so far & Summary of comments:
AEM - No codes - skews MAF readings
Injen - No issues
Hahn - Breahter pipe clamping issue
Dejon - Rubbing issues - no codes

Any others out there. Still looking for all comments on CAI's
Old 08-07-2009, 09:11 AM

Brands Posted so far & Summary of comments:
AEM - No codes - skews MAF readings
Injen - No issues
Hahn - Breahter pipe clamping issue
Dejon - Rubbing issues - no codes

Any others out there. Still looking for all comments on CAI's
Well they all had the breather pipe claimping issue except AEM.

They also all have skewed MAF readings...and I think the results where AEM had the least skewed MAF readings.

This explains why GM has had such issue getting an intake for the Stage Kit. I would just replace the piping going from air box to turbo, design a dry flow drop-in air filter (dont like K&N) and call it good.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:17 AM

They also all have skewed MAF readings...and I think the results where AEM had the least skewed MAF readings.

This explains why GM has had such issue getting an intake for the Stage Kit. I would just replace the piping going from air box to turbo, design a dry flow drop-in air filter (dont like K&N) and call it good.
yeah specially since with just a tune they get over 300whp and stock airbox.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dejon SRI = -7 LTFT
AEM CAI = + 9 LTFT
Hahn CAI = Mixed I have seen no skew in Fuel trims and up to +10 LTFT probably the result of a leaky breather connection.
Injen -7 to -8 LTFT as tested by Tofu

The MAF is so sensitive on this car that removing the filter from the factory airbox will cause -8 LTFTs compared to -1 to -2 normally.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Terminator2
Dejon SRI = -7 LTFT
AEM CAI = + 9 LTFT
Hahn CAI = Mixed I have seen no skew in Fuel trims and up to +10 LTFT probably the result of a leaky breather connection.
Injen -7 to -8 LTFT as tested by Tofu

The MAF is so sensitive on this car that removing the filter from the factory airbox will cause -8 LTFTs compared to -1 to -2 normally.
Thank you Terminator
Old 08-07-2009, 09:54 AM

awaiting people to get the CAI from CIA! then there will be reviews
Old 08-07-2009, 09:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank you Terminator
Your welcome. I have either tested these myself or have looked over logs from others who have tested them. I have yet to see a log from CIAs CAI though.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:00 AM

I also dyno'd before and after with my Injen and lost torque across the board and low/mid hp. Tested it on two tunes, one w/o any MAF calibration and one with the LTFT's "in check"...Made almost no difference.

Point being, don't get an Injen.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:30 AM

I will be testing a new intake over the weekend.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake - Cobalt SS TC plz post here