2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Cold side charge piping.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cold side charge piping.

I'm looking to replace the cold side charge piping on my Cobalt, does anyone have pictures of the Hahn piping installed so I can see where the MAP sensor sits in the piping? They say its moved to better accommodate the GMS1 sensor over the factory piping but I havent seen pictures anywhere.

I know the ZZP one improveson the MAP sensor fitment.

Whats everyone's experience with the pipes? Im running a factory intercooler and Injen hot side charge pipes. How was install, is it a hoist job or a driveway job? I know I can get my factory pipe out without even jacking the car up but Its a really tight fit around the subframe.

If it makes a difference I'm not looking at a MAF relocate, just moving the GMS1 Map sensor away from the AC Compressor where its causing issues from interference.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Zzp pipes, when I bought Em needed modding. Was hard to get Te cold side in, idk if they fixed that . Possibly adjusting intercooler helps, I just cut it off and put a 90 degree coupler and it's super easy to install. Great pipe
Old 07-07-2016, 09:23 AM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
I have all treadstone intercooler piping with the TR10 intercooler. Fixed my issue I had with placement with the map sensor.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:24 AM

Might want to put money into a new intercooler before a cold side charge pipe.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by no_ss
Might want to put money into a new intercooler before a cold side charge pipe.

My intercooler is fine, my charge pipe needs to be replaced. I should probably put money into the parts that will get my car running correctly before I upgrade things that work fine. The previous owner stripped the threads for the mounting bolt for the map sensor so it doesn't sit correctly, plus the issue with the wiring harness chafing on the AC makes that my priority.

The treadstone one looks like the sensor mounts towards the front of the vehicle, is there a possibility for interference with the radiator fan with this mounting position? I would be interested in pictures of the sensor mounting.

I also noticed that the treadstone pipe does not have the provision for the vacuum line coming off the pipe. What is the pros and cons of this? Obviously would require bypassing the bpv solenoid (my vac tank is already bypassed).

Originally Posted by tomj77
Zzp pipes, when I bought Em needed modding. Was hard to get Te cold side in, idk if they fixed that . Possibly adjusting intercooler helps, I just cut it off and put a 90 degree coupler and it's super easy to install. Great pipe
Ive heard that about the ZZP pipes, i'm not huge on purchasing something that I'd likely need to cut up to make it work, but your right, they may have fixed it.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
My zzp pipe fit just fine going for 2 yrs with it
Old 07-07-2016, 12:33 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Honestly I'd recommend replacing with a stock cold side pipe. All the after market ones fit like **** simply because their 90 degree going to the IC is metal versus a rubber coupler on the stock pipe. I've been running close to 500 whp for over 2 years now with the stock cold side pipe without any issues whatsoever. I had a Hahn pipe for a while which was a **** to install and which actually caused my AC wiring harness to chafe straight through. Never had that issue with the stock pipe with 3 bar sensors (although I have since deleted my AC)
Old 07-07-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
I cut off the metal bend on my ZZP lower and uses a 90 coupler instead. Perfect fit. They should have made them that way from the beginning.

Name:  7A28B1A5-F828-4184-A0AF-69F87ED7D86E_zpsb6xmqmav.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  111.8 KB
Old 07-07-2016, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by DarrenGC
My intercooler is fine, my charge pipe needs to be replaced. I should probably put money into the parts that will get my car running correctly before I upgrade things that work fine. The previous owner stripped the threads for the mounting bolt for the map sensor so it doesn't sit correctly, plus the issue with the wiring harness chafing on the AC makes that my priority.

The treadstone one looks like the sensor mounts towards the front of the vehicle, is there a possibility for interference with the radiator fan with this mounting position? I would be interested in pictures of the sensor mounting.

I also noticed that the treadstone pipe does not have the provision for the vacuum line coming off the pipe. What is the pros and cons of this? Obviously would require bypassing the bpv solenoid (my vac tank is already bypassed).Ive heard that about the ZZP pipes, i'm not huge on purchasing something that I'd likely need to cut up to make it work, but your right, they may have fixed it.
If you're tuned I would also invest in a new intercooler because plastic end tanks and I like not having to deal with the extra electrical stuff and I rerouted wire so it doesn't chaf before I had a new one. I also turned the map sensor to be facing the radiator fans. No problem with it touching the fans and messing up. It touches the outside guard but doesn't seem like it wants to go anywhere.

This is the best pic i have
Attached Thumbnails photo510.jpg  
Old 07-07-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I cut an inch out of the center of my zzp lower and put a coupler on it, fits much better
Old 07-07-2016, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that it worked perfectly from zzp I had a harder time getting the upper aligned so it wouldn't hit my ac line
Old 07-07-2016, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by colodude18
Honestly I'd recommend replacing with a stock cold side pipe. All the after market ones fit like **** simply because their 90 degree going to the IC is metal versus a rubber coupler on the stock pipe. I've been running close to 500 whp for over 2 years now with the stock cold side pipe without any issues whatsoever. I had a Hahn pipe for a while which was a **** to install and which actually caused my AC wiring harness to chafe straight through. Never had that issue with the stock pipe with 3 bar sensors (although I have since deleted my AC)

Ive considered deleting my AC but realistically its a luxury i would like to have (even though its not currently working). Im sure the stock pipe is strong enough but the MAP sensor placement really concerns me, I may consider flipping it around though.

Originally Posted by blueLNFftw
I cut off the metal bend on my ZZP lower and uses a 90 coupler instead. Perfect fit. They should have made them that way from the beginning.
Yeah that may be what I end up having to do. I know of others who have had to do the same which is why I was considering the HAHN one if i could find pictures of it.

Originally Posted by no_ss
If you're tuned I would also invest in a new intercooler because plastic end tanks and I like not having to deal with the extra electrical stuff and I rerouted wire so it doesn't chaf before I had a new one. I also turned the map sensor to be facing the radiator fans. No problem with it touching the fans and messing up. It touches the outside guard but doesn't seem like it wants to go anywhere.

This is the best pic i have

I agree the intercooler is a future upgrade, but not something i'm planning right now. Getting the engine running correctly is priority #1. Thank you for the picture of the treadstone pipe, it looks like the MAP sensor is stock location so it may not solve my issue.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:22 AM

Ive considered deleting my AC but realistically its a luxury i would like to have (even though its not currently working). Im sure the stock pipe is strong enough but the MAP sensor placement really concerns me, I may consider flipping it around though.Yeah that may be what I end up having to do. I know of others who have had to do the same which is why I was considering the HAHN one if i could find pictures of it.I agree the intercooler is a future upgrade, but not something i'm planning right now. Getting the engine running correctly is priority #1. Thank you for the picture of the treadstone pipe, it looks like the MAP sensor is stock location so it may not solve my issue.
Had the same problem as you bud. I haven't had problems in weeks.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:07 PM

Yeah that may be what I end up having to do. I know of others who have had to do the same which is why I was considering the HAHN one if i could find pictures of it.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by colodude18
Thank you, I appreciate it. It doesn't look like it moves the MAP sensor much if at all, I may have to stick with the ZZP one.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:51 AM

Hahn charge pipe was the one I chose to go with. Great fitment and it does relocate the sensor towards the passenger side more, giving it the clearance it needs. A couple of small complaints:

The bolts supplied for the MAP sensor are a bit short, hard to get started from where they powder coated it and the head on them could be bigger and of a different style (they are a 3mm allen key, a HEX head might be easier to work with in the space.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:28 PM

Hahn charge pipe was the one I chose to go with. Great fitment and it does relocate the sensor towards the passenger side more, giving it the clearance it needs. A couple of small complaints:

The bolts supplied for the MAP sensor are a bit short, hard to get started from where they powder coated it and the head on them could be bigger and of a different style (they are a 3mm allen key, a HEX head might be easier to work with in the space.
Yes I remember the MAP sensor bolts when I had the Hahn pipe installed. They are already a pain to get to and when I stripped one of them I have to uninstall the entire pipe to get it out. If I were you I'd replace them with something beefier just in case
Old 10-06-2020, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobalt SS cold side charge pipe.

Originally Posted by blueLNFftw

Attachment 11625
Hello, I am looking to repair my cold side charge pipe (it's crushed) I cannot find a 2.5" silicone coupler like the one in your photo to save my life. All the ones I have found online are only 4 inches long. Where did you find this? Thanks in advance
Old 10-06-2020, 10:51 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by Billybobby 1
Hello, I am looking to repair my cold side charge pipe (it's crushed) I cannot find a 2.5" silicone coupler like the one in your photo to save my life. All the ones I have found online are only 4 inches long. Where did you find this? Thanks in advance
Try siliconeintakes.com mot sure if they have it but they have a plethora of different parts/options