2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

ECU with selectable 22PSI tune.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ECU with selectable 22PSI tune.

What are the ods of finding this used?

Ive been putting off a tune forever because I don't want to spend as much as the GMS1 (about $800-1200 around here)

Id like to 'keep' my warranty, so this is why trifecta has been what I want to go with but it still ends up being really pricing living in canada where i do.

Can GM tell if you swap out ECU's, like if I went with HP tune?

OK with GM tune, but limits me to stock everything basically(would like do to Downpipe).. and im stuck at 20PSI 24/7.

Would like a selectable tune, or swappable ECU assuming you can get around warranty. This way I can put my car to stock for long trips, or winter time.

it winter now so basically im looking out for deals, used things.. and part outs.. the like

Anyone else run 10-15PSI to 22PSI selectable tunes? Do you find yourself not running tuned , like how I plan?
Old 12-01-2010, 07:02 PM

You can go back to stock with any tune, the tuner just has to perform a write entire for the stock tune and there you go.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:24 PM

Typically though re-tunes and adjustments require a cable and sending logs over e-mail? This also probably costs money (not sure %100)..

Its kinda like having two sets of wheels/tires for winter rather than paying someone to swap your tires with a single set of wheels every time it snows.

I like to be able to swap my wheels/tires out as the weather changes week to week and id like to be able to do the same for the tune.

Basically Im really hooked on the idea of a user selectable tunes, or a ECU swap. (The aftermarket approach wopens to the door to getting the tune tweaked as I get any bolt ons, kinda like what you suggested).
Old 12-01-2010, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You get the cable, load the tune. Log it and email the log to your tuner. After you do that about 5 or 6 times you should be dialed in. The trifecta tune isn't as expensive as a GMS1. The trifecta selectable will be your best bet. Run it at like 22 psi.

Last edited by RyRidesMotox; 12-01-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the selectable tune, it nice to press the button when you need to kick a$$$$!!.. I've keep my tune on during the summer and winter, and found the tune works fine in all seasons. Even in long trips to chicago/miami/dallas/vegas i've done in the last 3 months.

But your best bet is have two ecm's: one stock [original] for warranty work and second one with your tunes.
I say this because you'll never know if the dealership will swap out your ECM and send it in to GM to look at.. I've read it's happened already and you can guess what the results where.

Last edited by gone_in_10_sec; 12-01-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 PM

You guys realize that you can just flash your vehicle's computer back to stock right? It is cheaper and easier than replacing the ECM. Unless you can find an ECM for like free.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RyRidesMotox
You guys realize that you can just flash your vehicle's computer back to stock right? It is cheaper and easier than replacing the ECM. Unless you can find an ECM for like free.
My one problem flashing the ECM you'll lose your TF tune. Then if you don't have the cable, you'll have to get the cable and tune it all over again. Having a second ECM will solve this problem.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:37 PM

If you are the one that flashed the Trifecta in there originally then you should still have the TF file. Then you could just borrow someone's or have Vince send you another one. But even if you get the tune from Vince and keep the cable you are looking at around $500. Just an ECM is going to run you almost that much unless you get lucky and scoop one up at the junkyard or something. I'm not saying that the ECM swap is not a viable option. I'm just saying that I'm lazy and I would rather just plug my laptop in rather than swap the ECM and have to do crank relearns everytime you do.

By the way 486/517 you're out of your damn mind, in a totally awesome I want to steal your car kind of way.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:55 PM

Well ive got alot of un-answered questions, I should probably just ask vince..

The cable I buy from trifecta:

-Does it come with tuning software (probably not, just a lil image flasher utility AFAIK)
-Can the cable be used with other cars (aka is there tuning software available for my cobalt, or other ODB2 cars).
-Can the cable be used to do anything else but flash my cobalt

Things I think I know about the cable:

if I buy it I have the choice between my tune file, and stock file (this is presumably the only reason to buy the cable to me)

wich sorta negates the fact im going with this tune because it selectable in the first place (so really don't neeeeeeed the cable).

***So basically im paying $200 for a cable rather than $500 for a spare ECM? Correct me if im wrong...
Old 12-01-2010, 11:40 PM

The cable can be used to flash any OBD II cars that Vince tunes. I asked him already but you might want to double check. Most cables, like my hp tuner, won't write other company's files (I could not install my trifecta tune with my hpt cable). When you get the tune from Vince, unless you go through a local tuner, you have to pay a deposit on the cable of $200. So thats 350 for the tune and 200 for the cable unless you return it and get the $200 back. In my opinion its worth it to just "buy" the cable.

The way the selectable works is when you have the cruise or traction control pressed you can have 22psi, when its deactivated you are stock 15psi. If you get another computer (which you stated before that you want to do) you have to do a crankshaft "relearn" everytime you switch, so you would need a cable for that anyways. Plus you can flash and reflash your computer before and after dealership trips.

Long story short: Buy the cable, load the tune, keep the cable, and go have fun.

Last edited by RyRidesMotox; 12-01-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:56 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
there's one for sale right now... wanna link?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:47 AM

Ive had really bad experiences bringing things across the border, I know there is trifecta tuners in canada, just non in SK.

Ive been a Retail Buyer/Purchaser for about 3 years, and its seems you really get rolled on shipping if your bringing anything less than a half pallet of stuff across the border. Im not really cheap.. but im not in a hurry so I wanna make the most solid investments.

Currency exchange, a rip

Shipping, a rip

Duty, a rip

Brokerage, a rip

Tax, well.. hmm

Anyone know if I can get everything vince offers shipped in canada?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:51 AM

Here is what the fees look like when want something from tirerack, for example *maybe tires are a bad example*

UPS Standard: $274.24
Excise Tax: $0.00
GST: $87.51
PST: $100.42
Duty: $104.20
Provincial Tire Fee: $16.00
Brokerage Fee: $30.00

$600 later
Old 12-02-2010, 01:04 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
you cannot avoid tax.

brokerage, and any other absurd charges are 100% a result of you using a courier instead of regular post.

if you specify USPS (their version of Canada post), you wouldn't have any extra fees.

I didn't really pay attention, but "saskaton" threw me off...

If you want to avoid any tax or brokerage, get Projekt to give you a selectable tune;
I have understood that he's willing to travel to SK & AB if there are enough people, and he's in Winnipeg, so if you can figure a good enough excuse for hte drive, then you don't even have to worry about getting other people who would want a tune at the same time as you.

and yes, HPT is great, but only Trifecta dealers can give you the selectable tune...

my first post stands.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Former Vendor

You can use that Tactrix cable from Vince to tune Subaru's and Mistubishi's plus you can become a dealer very easily and turn that cable into a couple bucks for yourself

Buying the cable also gives you an interface to connect to the car with, and there ARE cheap or free OBD2 Logger programs that you can download and log your own car with. Good for piece of mind (since you can log with TF but can't view it yourself, only Vince sees it..)
Old 12-02-2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by BYT*SS*TURBO
You can use that Tactrix cable from Vince to tune Subaru's and Mistubishi's plus you can become a dealer very easily and turn that cable into a couple bucks for yourself

Buying the cable also gives you an interface to connect to the car with, and there ARE cheap or free OBD2 Logger programs that you can download and log your own car with. Good for piece of mind (since you can log with TF but can't view it yourself, only Vince sees it..)
Like the idea of making couple of bucks.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:24 AM

I sent a PM to this dude

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/cana...-ab-sk-221767/

I have not got a response though.. anyone know if there is someone similar? Thanks