Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LNF Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/)
-   -   Flex Pipe on the Downpipe (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/flex-pipe-downpipe-196479/)

reign1 11-23-2009 12:17 PM

Flex Pipe on the Downpipe

OK so i am working with a company thats aking a new DP thats coming out. 3 in catless as it should be.

But they decided to not put a flex pipe in there. Just straight flange then pipe.

Iasked why they did this and they said flex pipe makes you lose HP. but now im curious because I dont want to crack welds or Bolts because I know the motor moves.

Discuss?

slowbalt84 11-23-2009 12:18 PM

good luck lol

BartSS 11-23-2009 12:23 PM

^^^^ what he said

glen229 11-23-2009 12:24 PM

lose hp lol not at all

reign1 11-23-2009 12:27 PM

lol yeah luckily they are making their DP just like my Catless DP (3 in catless DP WITH flex pipe)

and Ill switch it out so I can run their 3In Exhaust with my DP.

Gimpster 11-23-2009 12:43 PM

If you've ever fabricated many exhaust parts, you know why the flex is there. Keeps everything from rattling & reduces the possibility of cracking and metal fatigue in general. Even with solid mounts a motor rocks back/forth quite a bit during hard pulls. For a street duty car I'd be hard pressed not to use one.

A GOOD QUALITY flex isn't cheap, so there are financial reasons why a shop might not opt to use one. The performance angle of it would be really minimal if hardly measurable.

reign1 11-23-2009 01:12 PM

shop is pretty big im not just naming the company.lol

ddsscobalt 11-23-2009 01:22 PM

yea that flex section is for the motor movement... motor is gonna move no matter what mounts you have.. shits gonna break homie

TurboTechRacing 11-23-2009 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gimpster (Post 4473891)
If you've ever fabricated many exhaust parts, you know why the flex is there. Keeps everything from rattling & reduces the possibility of cracking and metal fatigue in general. Even with solid mounts a motor rocks back/forth quite a bit during hard pulls. For a street duty car I'd be hard pressed not to use one.

A GOOD QUALITY flex isn't cheap, so there are financial reasons why a shop might not opt to use one. The performance angle of it would be really minimal if hardly measurable.

Agreed

You should really have a flex as stated here, they are not cheap, but well worth it. It should be a good flex also, otherwise the flex itself will fail.

Originally Posted by ddsscobalt (Post 4473988)
yea that flex section is for the motor movement... motor is gonna move no matter what mounts you have.. shits gonna break homie

Also agreed.

Mounts will help, but will not be enough to remove/forget about having a flex.

A company should not cheap out to have a better apealing price and not put a flex in, they (the company) will most likely have many product failures.

glen229 11-23-2009 01:40 PM

yes, get the Turbo specific interlocking flex pipes

reign1 11-23-2009 03:12 PM

understood. ill recomend it to them.,

just wanted to double check

oopsitouchedmyself 11-24-2009 06:58 AM

i find it hard to believe a reputable large company would need to have any advice on whether or not to use a flex pipe.. i'm not saying i don't believe this is what they've told you, i'm saying what most other ppl here have said, it's not right. a good company would be more interested in doing things correct..

TurboTechRacing 11-24-2009 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by oopsitouchedmyself (Post 4475736)
i find it hard to believe a reputable large company would need to have any advice on whether or not to use a flex pipe.. I'm not saying i don't believe this is what they've told you, i'm saying what most other ppl here have said, it's not right. A good company would be more interested in doing things correct..

x2...

BYT*SS*TURBO 11-24-2009 12:11 PM

Moving the flex piece I would be a fan of. I never liked how the Flex was RIGHT at the turbo. Altho it seems to work well, just something that rubbed me wrong from day 1 honestly.