2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

FML blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FML blown Head Gasket

So my car was running really good, I had noticed the tail pipe leaking some water recently but figured it was because I wash it religiously might have got some water in there.

Well, after taking it out this last weekend I was having some fun until I looked down and seen my temp at 242, Its almost my fault as I felt there had been some trapped air in the cooling system but I just refilled it and ignored it after the top return pipe blew off one day randomly and looked like old faithful ...

Getting air out of this system is a royal pain in the ass in my opinion ..

If you look here.

The tank looks different some what and GM decided to put the bolt up side ******* down ( by firewall ) so you cant just get the bolt out to raise it up and try what this guy tried easily.

So I did the old let it sit with the cap off rev till 2500 , got the air out. but it didn't help.

So .... Opened the oil cap and what do I see, milky ******* oil and water.

Cars temps go up as I get into boost can notice a significant difference in boost building etc power etc.

Other wise it runs good. I can drive it but more coolant is getting into the oil..

FML

My question to the community is what about WERKS Head gasket etc. and ZZP head studs / bolts

ANy one know of some helpful Head removal procedures etc tips are greatly appreciated.

I am probably going to just pull the whole thing and build it like I want and wait for the bigger ZFR 5th injector ECU control etc.

Thanks all , its been fun , till now. Going to pawn my liver now.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
That sucks dude. no cruise for you this weekend lol
Old 01-22-2013, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by leemanfor
That sucks dude. no cruise for you this weekend lol
Yeah and I always seem to be the idiot defending and bragging about how bad ass and tough these motors are.

( its not all the engines fault I did lack the attention the cooling system deserved but what can you do)

Its been running like a beast for this long cant complain I guess.

At least I went out with a bang , that turbo honda was a sad little boy , his girlfriend was cute too..
Old 01-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Banned

why dont you just buy another OEM HG and be done with it? the HG rarely blows on these cars.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Werks HG. Great piece, can't go wrong with their products in general..
Old 01-22-2013, 03:54 PM

why dont you just buy another OEM HG and be done with it? the HG rarely blows on these cars.
Because if I am opening the motor in my mind I have to put better parts in it or it's not worth my time. Especially if I plan on putting in cams/springs etc.

Good excuse to put some stuff in there I guess.

I am not sure if the heat is what blew it or boost or the combo. I am thinking it was something creeping up on me , then a combination of boost and heat/ My car gains so much in the cold. It's no wonder.

I am thinking higher mileage cars fully bolted running e on steep timing are going to run into the same thing.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
YOu sure its not a pourus block issue? I thought the same thing until that was discovered. Free new motor for me
Old 01-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PrincessTurbo
Because if I am opening the motor in my mind I have to put better parts in it or it's not worth my time. Especially if I plan on putting in cams/springs etc.

Good excuse to put some stuff in there I guess.

I am not sure if the heat is what blew it or boost or the combo. I am thinking it was something creeping up on me , then a combination of boost and heat/ My car gains so much in the cold. It's no wonder.

I am thinking higher mileage cars fully bolted running e on steep timing are going to run into the same thing.
True, how many miles are on your car now? mines at 69k and i have no cooling issues but im not running E right now
Old 01-22-2013, 04:03 PM

Gotta ask. So, you popped your HG racing a Civic?! I wouldn't have driven the car unless all of the air pockets were driven out. That's just asking for trouble, man.
The following users liked this post:
sugarcanejuice (11-14-2022)
Old 01-22-2013, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by mkulrey13
YOu sure its not a pourus block issue? I thought the same thing until that was discovered. Free new motor for me
I've had this baby since 6 miles on the dash , its been nothing but a gem. Its exceeded my expectations ..

If it is indeed a porous block , what do I need to do for inspection to prove that.

Its been fully bolted and tuned for its entire life .

It has 47k on it .....
Old 01-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Banned

I've had this baby since 6 miles on the dash , its been nothing but a gem. Its exceeded my expectations ..

If it is indeed a porous block , what do I need to do for inspection to prove that.

Its been fully bolted and tuned for its entire life .

It has 47k on it .....
only way really is to take it to GM and ask them to look into the pourous block issue, there is a TSB on it somewhere. IIRC it affects early 09 models.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by prevsrt4owner
Gotta ask. So, you popped your HG racing a Civic?! I wouldn't have driven the car unless all of the air pockets were driven out. That's just asking for trouble, man.
I'm not going to get into it with you about beating the turbo civic and its specs as its irrelevant. The return hose popped off the head and I refilled it and it ran for 25 thousand miles before ever showing an over heating issue or air pocket issue and it was never over heated during that problem.

So , its not like there was a huge pocket of air in there and I just kept driving it , its like air got in it some how randomly ..
Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 PM

I'm not going to get into it with you about beating the turbo civic and its specs as its irrelevant. The return hose popped off the head and I refilled it and it ran for 25 thousand miles before ever showing an over heating issue or air pocket issue and it was never over heated during that problem.

So , its not like there was a huge pocket of air in there and I just kept driving it , its like air got in it some how randomly ..
Gotcha!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:16 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Your headgasket went because of the high temps (242*F). Thats how my sisters headgasket just went lololol.

Had you caught the high temp right away and took care of it, I dont think the headgasket would have crapped out.

Was there any dash indicator lights that there was a problem with the coolant?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by CudaJoe
Your headgasket went because of the high temps (242*F). Thats how my sisters headgasket just went lololol.

Had you caught the high temp right away and took care of it, I dont think the headgasket would have crapped out.

Was there any dash indicator lights that there was a problem with the coolant?
It would say coolant low randomly , but every time I checked the coolant it was correct level and other people report being on a hill WOT etc seeing the same thing randomly. Its very rare to see that message.

I always ride with the coolant temp on as I know what kills 4 cyl really fast or any engine for that matter heat is your worst enemy number one rule of thumb I am very conscious of that, whats weird is it was dripping water from the exhaust a few days before that night and it never over heated before that night. No CEL or dinging at all.... Thats why I shook my shoulders and said screw it its just plain water. i even smelled that **** 4 times . smelled like water no anti freeze smell at all.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 PM

ARP for head stud/bolt kit.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Banned

It would say coolant low randomly , but every time I checked the coolant it was correct level and other people report being on a hill WOT etc seeing the same thing randomly. Its very rare to see that message.

I always ride with the coolant temp on as I know what kills 4 cyl really fast or any engine for that matter heat is your worst enemy number one rule of thumb I am very conscious of that, whats weird is it was dripping water from the exhaust a few days before that night and it never over heated before that night. No CEL or dinging at all.... Thats why I shook my shoulders and said screw it its just plain water. i even smelled that **** 4 times . smelled like water no anti freeze smell at all.
The water is normal. At least mine does it on cold startup, it spits out condensation and then is fine.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 PM

are you cat-less?

air doesn't just get into the cooling system, its a closed, pressurized system. there is a bigger issue.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 PM

The water is normal. At least mine does it on cold startup, it spits out condensation and then is fine.
The problem is I live in 5% humidity , theres a certain level of that I know what you are saying normal levels. it does it worse after it snows and then warms up as snow melts more condensation etc .

I've checked the dip stick several times just to see chocolate milk. Sucks ... , didnt want to touch this **** till spring build
Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Banned

The problem is I live in 5% humidity , theres a certain level of that I know what you are saying normal levels. it does it worse after it snows and then warms up as snow melts more condensation etc .

I've checked the dip stick several times just to see chocolate milk. Sucks ... , didnt want to touch this **** till spring build
I see, I dont ever see milky oil. but i have had it spit a ton of water out and then its fine.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:14 PM

Sadly I think I've come to a second own head gasket going out! I have the problem of the engine starting to drink coolant and have rough start ups, but what's weird is that I don't have milky oil, just the coolant that is draining and rough startups and what not. I changed head gasket first time and all the problems cured. However I've only had this new head gasket on for about 4 months... Kinda fast to go out
Old 01-22-2013, 05:20 PM

The Cat is supposed to turn Hydrocarbons into... Hydro. hence the water coming from your tailpipe. its normal in small amounts. not sure on how much you had coming out, but if it was coming out like you say it was, the car wouldnt run right.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ryansalazan
Sadly I think I've come to a second own head gasket going out! I have the problem of the engine starting to drink coolant and have rough start ups, but what's weird is that I don't have milky oil, just the coolant that is draining and rough startups and what not. I changed head gasket first time and all the problems cured. However I've only had this new head gasket on for about 4 months... Kinda fast to go out
This would make me think porous block, are you using stock gaskets with that AGP turbo ?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FYI ive had the car up to 248* during track time and my HG is good.

Check for porous block.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by nhanson
FYI ive had the car up to 248* during track time and my HG is good.

Check for porous block.
I wish I could do that without taking it to a dealer .....

They are so stupid here and likely to charge you to tell you its a head gasket , and then they will put that on and it will probably be my fault some how if it still over heats and I will be a sitting duck.

If I take the head off , i still am not going to be able to see if its a block being casted with defects but I could at least see if it was the gasket ..

IDK man , torn on what to do right now. looking at getting new head , fuel lobe cams springs, all new slap it on with a new Werks gasket and call it a day till big build.

Quick Reply: FML blown Head Gasket