2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

How do I scan the OEM wide band with HP Tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I scan the OEM wide band with HP Tuners?

I have had HP Tuners for a while now for other cars and I just got around to trying to log my Cobalt. I can't seem to get the AFR to scan or log. What do I need to do to set it up? I am a novice with this software other then plugging it in and scanning/logging. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:57 PM

a wideband sensor
Old 12-04-2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by originaladrian
a wideband sensor
I am not sure what you are trying to say but if I understand you correctly you are assuming I don't have a wide band O2. Well, the LNF cars all have wide band O2 sensors. I just need some help scanning it with HP Tuners. I know others have done it and I need them to show me how.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:54 PM

Download the config (.cfg) file and put it in the appropriate folder. Ask tuning questions in that forum and you'll get a quicker response.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9331
Old 12-04-2008, 04:17 PM

What config file do you recommend? I have tried 2 or three different ones already and none of them will scan the WB O2. Did you have to do something to make HP Tuners see the WB O2? Would you be willing to send me the config file that you are using? PM me if you want my email.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by marcusicp
What config file do you recommend? I have tried 2 or three different ones already and none of them will scan the WB O2. Did you have to do something to make HP Tuners see the WB O2? Would you be willing to send me the config file that you are using? PM me if you want my email.
PM me with your email and I'll send you my config file and I'll take a snapshot of the PID you need to have to get it to work
Old 12-04-2008, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi-res narrow band, good, but not bitchen.

none the less you call it up in the table set, then add it to you chart, histogram, ect.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by 08BlackSS/TC
PM me with your email and I'll send you my config file and I'll take a snapshot of the PID you need to have to get it to work
PM sent!

Originally Posted by 06black
hi-res narrow band, good, but not bitchen.

none the less you call it up in the table set, then add it to you chart, histogram, ect.
What's the difference in a wide band and a high-res narrow band? Would it be worth picking up a "real" wide band for the turbo cars?

Last edited by marcusicp; 12-04-2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-05-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by marcusicp
PM sent!

What's the difference in a wide band and a high-res narrow band? Would it be worth picking up a "real" wide band for the turbo cars?
resolution and much response!

you bet your ass it would be.

another nice feature of a normal wideband is the ability to tie it into HPT and log that info along with the car during pulls.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:07 AM

resolution and much response!

you bet your ass it would be.

another nice feature of a normal wideband is the ability to tie it into HPT and log that info along with the car during pulls.
Bryan, the SS/TC come with a wideband from the factory
Old 12-05-2008, 09:57 AM

say it with me....

"hi-res narrow band"

vary Ls-1 ish,

cars that have actual factory wideband sensors are more economy based performance cars, the new honda accourd V6 for example.

runs 2 lab grade widebands, a set up from a dealer will run you well over the $1000 mark.

the OE LNF stuff is good, not AM WB quality, but good. Thanks in large part to the 32B sectioned processor, but none the less, nice to have.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:10 AM

say it with me....

"hi-res narrow band"
Look in the mirror and repeat after me....

"I can be wrong from time to time."

http://www.urbanracer.com/articles/a...3039&print=yes

Emissions controls:
close-coupled catalytic converters, Quick-Sync 58x ignition system; returnless fuel rail; wide-range O2 sensor
That comes straight out of a document I'm looking at that GM released to the press.

http://media.gm.com/
Old 12-05-2008, 12:41 PM

god dam this iPhone.

I've tried to type a reply like 3 times now and it just gets laggy with the buttons and closed the program.

Once I'm back in the office I'll show u what I mean. Narrow band doesn't mean 1v range and wide band / ranges doesn't mean 5v range.

U need more then 1v for lamda calcs but the oe doesn't test out to 5v, goes to 3.x volts.

The bitchen widebands that we do emmision cal with report backbwith more then a 10v range.

This is why I use a normal wb on the lnf cars I tune.

The .2-.3 afr diff between or and am makes a big differance in safty and max power, also have the gauge display helps the driver check for safe afr's as weather changes.
Ballen.

I hate this phone more with every
Post i try to make.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:48 PM

god dam this iPhone.

I've tried to type a reply like 3 times now and it just gets laggy with the buttons and closed the program.

Once I'm back in the office I'll show u what I mean. Narrow band doesn't mean 1v range and wide band / ranges doesn't mean 5v range.

U need more then 1v for lamda calcs but the oe doesn't test out to 5v, goes to 3.x volts.

The bitchen widebands that we do emmision cal with report backbwith more then a 10v range.

The .2-.3 afr diff between or and am makes a big differance in safty and max power, also have the gauge display helps the driver check for safe afr's as weather changes.
Ballen.

Post i try to make.
I think you're confusing precision with band. AFAIK, the "band" in wideband refers to the range of AFR's detectable (i.e. some WB's are good for measuring AFR's of 7:1 to 22:1). The precision in which they report those AFR's (i.e. the range of voltage output they have) is a different story. If the sensor can accurately and consistently report to the hundreth, why wouldn't that be good enough?

Example...

Assume there's a 3v operating range. If the sensor's precision is accurate to the .xx hundreth, then you could have an equation such as:

AFR=(V*2)+11

...the net result being an accruate AFR (to the tenth) between 11.0:1 and 17.0:1.

I'd highly doubt that GM would spend the extra $$$ to set up the car with a WB and then cheap out on the engineering design and operation of the part.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:02 PM

they dident spend more, or cheap out.

This is a new system that was developed to raise the mpg across the range, the new cafe std's are a bitch!!

It's just cool to have this on a performance car.

True oe approved widebands are huge money, part cost alone can answer this debate.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
god dam this iPhone.

Ballen.

Post i try to make.
Welcome to typing on a forum on the iphone. Worst part is that it never saves what you typed.

Or I also enjoy when it decides that it wants to freeze on the Backspace button and all you can do is sit and cry while you watch everything you typed get uncontrollably erased!

On the config file the WBo2 was mistakingly listed as EQ, but it is calculated as Lamda so it's labelled wrong. Just multiply that times the Stoich AFR, which actually isnt listed in the HPT file :-( I have seen these cars idle pretty lean, and not always near 14.7

Last edited by Psykostevo; 12-05-2008 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-05-2008, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Psykostevo
Welcome to typing on a forum on the iphone. Worst part is that it never saves what you typed.

Or I also enjoy when it decides that it wants to freeze on the Backspace button and all you can do is sit and cry while you watch everything you typed get uncontrollably erased!

On the config file the WBo2 was mistakingly listed as EQ, but it is calculated as Lamda so it's labelled wrong. Just multiply that times the Stoich AFR, which actually isnt listed in the HPT file :-( I have seen these cars idle pretty lean, and not always near 14.7
so I'm not the only one with the backspace button of death!!!!!

Any who, if u look at the resolution count, it's much more defined/ updated more around the stoic-to-lean cruse area of the lamda scale.

Lamda rocks tho, make more sience then afr.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Banned

I hate when the god damn backspace freezes and deletes everything.