I'm thinking I should start a build thread. Guess this is it. - Page 13 - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Engine Technical Discussion > 2.0L LNF Performance Tech
I'm thinking I should start a build thread. Guess this is it. >

I'm thinking I should start a build thread. Guess this is it.

2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

I'm thinking I should start a build thread. Guess this is it.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:57 PM
  #301  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,753
Thanked 106 Times in 96 Posts


Trans is on



About to push her under the car
tomj77 is offline  
Old 04-14-2017, 11:32 PM
  #302  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,753
Thanked 106 Times in 96 Posts


Motor going in



Shes got a new heart finally
tomj77 is offline  
Old 04-14-2017, 11:34 PM
  #303  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,753
Thanked 106 Times in 96 Posts
installing the motor was a little bit of a pain in the butt, but it went in. now I got a slight problem. ZZP and their downpipe and dump tube location design seems to not fit at all. I can put the down pipe on fine, but the dump tube wont fit with the downpipe installed it seems. looks like I will have to modify the dump, idk why they made it like this, they had a lot of room to do it right.
tomj77 is offline  
Old 04-15-2017, 08:12 AM
  #304  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 06-13-12
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,119
Thanked 262 Times in 247 Posts
Nice to see it back in place. Shame you have to modify brand new crap.
63 Nova SS is offline  
Old 04-15-2017, 09:52 AM
  #305  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 07-19-10
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 22,266
Thanked 372 Times in 329 Posts
I was wondering from that picture if it was going to fit in the bay. Shitty if has to be modified to fit.
ECaulk is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 12:04 AM
  #306  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,753
Thanked 106 Times in 96 Posts
well after trying everything to make the dump tube fit, nothing, then I checked zzp website, and my dump tube, according to their description, they sent me the one for the grand prix. ****, more waiting now. other than that, got a lot done, got subframe up, rotated mounts on and properly roatated, control arms installed, downpipe installed.

I had to modify the heatsheild on the rear trans mount so the downpipe doesn't touch it, so that's done, that all fits perfectly. I think ill need a longer oil line so ill have to order some hose, mine will be to short to go around the dump tube. what else did I do today, I think that may be about it. next ill do axles and start connecting the wiring harness. then rad, ac and intercooler.
tomj77 is offline  
Old 04-17-2017, 08:52 PM
  #307  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,753
Thanked 106 Times in 96 Posts


I know u dont see it but i got a friend to cut flange off and weld a new one on properly, fits perfect now



There she is installed



Everything is pretty close but it fits snug
tomj77 is offline  
Old 04-17-2017, 09:42 PM
  #308  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-04-10
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 3,283
Thanked 62 Times in 50 Posts
Looks good. I wouldnt of heat wrapped all that stainless........ Not good for the metal over time.
Omiotek is offline  
Old 04-17-2017, 10:26 PM
  #309  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,753
Thanked 106 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Omiotek View Post
Looks good. I wouldnt of heat wrapped all that stainless........ Not good for the metal over time.
My oil line will be pretty close , that's why I did. Probably didnt need to all the way down though lol
tomj77 is offline  
Old 04-17-2017, 10:27 PM
  #310  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,753
Thanked 106 Times in 96 Posts
Downpipe is only heat wrapped till the flex section
tomj77 is offline  
Old 04-17-2017, 10:31 PM
  #311  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 06-13-12
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,119
Thanked 262 Times in 247 Posts
Can't imagine why the Grand Prix tube won't work...
63 Nova SS is offline  
Old 04-18-2017, 01:07 AM
  #312  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,753
Thanked 106 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS View Post
Can't imagine why the Grand Prix tube won't work...
idk if it was, it looked like it, if it is, it has a 1/16 gap on the bottom of the flange when connecting to wg, so I cant tighten it down, cause the flange is welded onto the tube with the bottom of the flange angles back a bit. we cut it off, had one that came with wg, and welded it on straight, and it made the short leg before the bend slightly longer, so it matched up perfectly. now I just need a new oil line since mine is now to short, plus I'm going stainless fittings on it, cause quite frankly, I don't like the idea of aluminum fitting on a hot ass turbo.
tomj77 is offline  
Old 04-18-2017, 03:19 PM
  #313  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-04-10
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 3,283
Thanked 62 Times in 50 Posts
Aeroquip teflon steel fittings is what i use.

You have to be careful with stainless. Its a lot more brittle and likes to strip out more
Omiotek is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 12:23 AM
  #314  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,753
Thanked 106 Times in 96 Posts
Probably a lot cheaper to eh lol. Well zzp did confirm they sent me wrong dump tube, and because I had to go through the trouble of fixing it, they offered to refund my money for it, which I accepted. Hell of a bunch of nice guys there. Got it all wired up today, on the home stretch. Woo




tomj77 is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 12:03 PM
  #315  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 02-03-16
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,186
Thanked 129 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by tomj77 View Post
Probably a lot cheaper to eh lol. Well zzp did confirm they sent me wrong dump tube, and because I had to go through the trouble of fixing it, they offered to refund my money for it, which I accepted. Hell of a bunch of nice guys there. Got it all wired up today, on the home stretch. Woo




Is that last picture some sort of oil pressure sending unit? If so do you mind sharing some more information about it?
jdbaugh1 is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 07:41 PM
  #316  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,753
Thanked 106 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 View Post
Is that last picture some sort of oil pressure sending unit? If so do you mind sharing some more information about it?
That's my solution to no galley plugs for oil pressure gauge on ldk block. I put a line onto stock oil switch port and into my oil pressure block i made out of an air manifold, and tapped a port for the stock switch and the gauge sender . There are pics of it on earlier pages, what do u wanna know about it
tomj77 is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 10:56 PM
  #317  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 12-07-09
Location: The Desert
Posts: 1,347
Thanked 63 Times in 51 Posts
Great to see everything on it's way to being buttoned up Tom!
T-Man is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 PM
  #318  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,753
Thanked 106 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
Great to see everything on it's way to being buttoned up Tom!
yup for sure. did some clutch bleeding today, now I just need to install fuse box, and get all the front end goodies on, and its basically ready for a test go. after fluids that is.
tomj77 is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 11:54 PM
  #319  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,753
Thanked 106 Times in 96 Posts


My boost solinoid / failsafe solinoid setup
tomj77 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 06:33 AM
  #320  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 06-13-12
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,119
Thanked 262 Times in 247 Posts
Gettin close! Make sure you get all those relays seated well. And pull the fuel pump fuse just in case you are tired and giddy and want to jump in and fire it up without priming the turbo with oil.
63 Nova SS is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 07:59 AM
  #321  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,753
Thanked 106 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS View Post
Gettin close! Make sure you get all those relays seated well. And pull the fuel pump fuse just in case you are tired and giddy and want to jump in and fire it up without priming the turbo with oil.
I hear ya, left the injectors unplugged for this reason
tomj77 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:09 AM
  #322  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 02-03-16
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,186
Thanked 129 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by tomj77 View Post
That's my solution to no galley plugs for oil pressure gauge on ldk block. I put a line onto stock oil switch port and into my oil pressure block i made out of an air manifold, and tapped a port for the stock switch and the gauge sender . There are pics of it on earlier pages, what do u wanna know about it

I'll go back and look. Just something I would consider duplicating at some point. I about had an oil pressure gauge hooked up using fittings but luckily I stripped one out because it wasn't looking good as far as longevity as the sending unit was being supported through the fittings and oil plug bore. Your setup looks like you could hit some heavy bumps and it wouldn't be fazed.
jdbaugh1 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 02:04 PM
  #323  
Junior Member
 
08VRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-06-12
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 484
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I took some notes from your pics of how I'm setting up my PCV system, so thanks for the helpful posts and pics. I'm done building my engine tomorrow and going to swap it in next weekend.

My old LNF made it 147,000 miles and now has a timing chain tensioner tick, bad enough where its pulling 11.9* of timing thinking its knocking at low loads. I'm glad its perfect timing for the swap. Its going to be nice to see the new beast in the car, your pics gave me some encouragement lol. Keep up the good work Tom.

Gotta button up a few more things but its almost done.

Can't wait to see your car done and mine as well.


08VRSS is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 02:27 PM
  #324  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,753
Thanked 106 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by 08VRSS View Post
I took some notes from your pics of how I'm setting up my PCV system, so thanks for the helpful posts and pics. I'm done building my engine tomorrow and going to swap it in next weekend.

My old LNF made it 147,000 miles and now has a timing chain tensioner tick, bad enough where its pulling 11.9* of timing thinking its knocking at low loads. I'm glad its perfect timing for the swap. Its going to be nice to see the new beast in the car, your pics gave me some encouragement lol. Keep up the good work Tom.

Gotta button up a few more things but its almost done.

Can't wait to see your car done and mine as well.


Thank u and ur welcome, try to help when I can. Only thing I'm a little worried about on mine is the aluminum hose fittings. They are pretty strong but its still aluminum lol. I'm sure it will hold up cause there is really nothing to damage it at all, but I should still have used stainless or something just cause I'm overkill like that lol. I didn't want to so like u did cause I just didn't like the idea of so many fittings and adapters , I brainstormed a while sitting there looking at it before i figured out this setup. I had the oil block from my last setup, which was off to the side on the intake heatsheid as a relocate , so having that helped invent this system. If u need any help with what parts u need or where to get em let me know. Fifth injector is sweet. Love Ur intake mani
tomj77 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 03:06 PM
  #325  
Junior Member
 
08VRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-06-12
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 484
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tomj77 View Post
Thank u and ur welcome, try to help when I can. Only thing I'm a little worried about on mine is the aluminum hose fittings. They are pretty strong but its still aluminum lol. I'm sure it will hold up cause there is really nothing to damage it at all, but I should still have used stainless or something just cause I'm overkill like that lol. I didn't want to so like u did cause I just didn't like the idea of so many fittings and adapters , I brainstormed a while sitting there looking at it before i figured out this setup. I had the oil block from my last setup, which was off to the side on the intake heatsheid as a relocate , so having that helped invent this system. If u need any help with what parts u need or where to get em let me know. Fifth injector is sweet. Love Ur intake mani

I disliked the way zzp did theirs and decided to just do it myself and I have an injector controller just collecting dust so we'lolsee how well it works with the 60# injector.

that intake took a lot of time so cut or sand off all the stand off posts I'm not using and then hand sanding it, wrinkle paint, oven baking but it came out good, thanks for the compliment.

If I come up with any questions I'll definitely post them here and maybe we can come up solutions togethet since it seems like we're both good at this. Cheers.
08VRSS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm thinking I should start a build thread. Guess this is it.


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.