Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LNF Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/)
-   -   Intake Camshaft Sensor ISSUE!!!!!! (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/intake-camshaft-sensor-issue-153670/)

SilverT/C 02-05-2009 07:38 PM

1. 80vetteL82 ('08)
2. Cobaltss/tc ('08)
3. Hill1513 ('09)
4. Joemann892 ('08)
5. Nakaiya21 ('08)
6. 1WhiteSSTC ('09)(10,000km or 6200miles)
7. BowTieTillIDie('09) 3,842 Miles
8. Krispy (08) 14k mi
9. Glhs379(08) 4500 miles
10. SilverT/C (08) 9900 miles

Cobaltss/TC 02-05-2009 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by buellfooll (Post 3423957)
By the way. Thanks to CobaltSS/TC for the heads up. My 09 sedan seems more like it's weeping oil. Like the aluminum arond the sensor is slightly porous. It's discolored but until I can wipe oil off with my finger I think I'll just cut my dealer, AND GM some slack. They've both got enough on their plate right now and I don't want GM to waste any money on a petty thing like this. But I will keep an eye on it and take it to the dealer if/when it get's worse. Thanks again CobaltSS/TC

You're very welcome i just wanted to inform people of this issue cause i don't want anything to go wrong for others cars, not saying GM is bad in anyway cause that would be stupid since i bought a GM car right. So i hope you all can get this resolved i will post when i find out more info. Also to those who are concerned about how long this sensor takes to replace,well it should take no longer then 30 mins once they have the sensor, very easy job to do.

1WhiteSSTC 02-05-2009 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cobaltss/TC (Post 3425274)
You're very welcome i just wanted to inform people of this issue cause i don't want anything to go wrong for others cars, not saying GM is bad in anyway cause that would be stupid since i bought a GM car right. So i hope you all can get this resolved i will post when i find out more info. Also to those who are concerned about how long this sensor takes to replace,well it should take no longer then 30 mins once they have the sensor, very easy job to do.

so because of the leak it caused your sensor to short out? Am I correct in assuming your engine said GTFO and walk when the sensor went?

Cobaltss/TC 02-05-2009 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1WhiteSSTC (Post 3425436)
so because of the leak it caused your sensor to short out? Am I correct in assuming your engine said GTFO and walk when the sensor went?

It was starting to read incorrect signals cause it got in the connector pretty bad. But yes you are correct if you loose the cam sensor signal the car will die if it is running or stumble at best and no you probably wont be able to start it, the cam sensors are just as important as the crank in the variable valve timing engines, sometimes the computer can give false signals so it can run or start to watch other sensors more closely but it wouldn't be pretty

Terminator2 02-06-2009 10:31 AM

[QUOTE=SilverT/C;3424721]1. 80vetteL82 ('08)
2. Cobaltss/tc ('08)
3. Hill1513 ('09)
4. Joemann892 ('08)
5. Nakaiya21 ('08)
8. Krispy (08) 14k mi
11. Terminator2 ('08) 5500 miles

Nakaiya21 02-06-2009 11:28 AM

Update - I took mine in this morning. The dealer can't find the exact location of the leak so they have put the trace dye in my car. I am going to run it for a week and take it back in...hopefully I will know more then....I will keep you guys posted if I find anything new....

Keep in mind that my leak wasn't bad (3600 miles ... oil change at 2500 miles) in the first place and I did clean the area so I have a feeling that is why they can't find the origin.....

The good news is I had the rotors/brakes looked at while I was there and no issues at all...

Joemann892 02-06-2009 06:42 PM

I went to the dealer and they told me that the oil was leaking thru the sensor, not thru the seal. I have heard of that being possible, but I dont know what to believe because when i told the dealer to look under by my fuel pump, and they laughed and said my fuel pump was in my gas tank...uhhh yeah ok... Looks like not many people know about this motor. W/E 3 hours at the dealer and they dont have the part so they need to call me back another day to put it in.

08BlackSS/TC 02-06-2009 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nakaiya21 (Post 3427676)
Update - I took mine in this morning. The dealer can't find the exact location of the leak so they have put the trace dye in my car. I am going to run it for a week and take it back in...hopefully I will know more then....I will keep you guys posted if I find anything new....

Keep in mind that my leak wasn't bad (3600 miles ... oil change at 2500 miles) in the first place and I did clean the area so I have a feeling that is why they can't find the origin.....

The good news is I had the rotors/brakes looked at while I was there and no issues at all...

I also visited the dealer today and was told the same thing. They ordered a new sensor but we'll see what happens next week.

Keep us posted!

tomj77 02-06-2009 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Joemann892 (Post 3429756)
I went to the dealer and they told me that the oil was leaking thru the sensor, not thru the seal. I have heard of that being possible, but I dont know what to believe because when i told the dealer to look under by my fuel pump, and they laughed and said my fuel pump was in my gas tank...uhhh yeah ok... Looks like not many people know about this motor. W/E 3 hours at the dealer and they dont have the part so they need to call me back another day to put it in.

dealer was half right, u do have another fuel pump in ur gas tank to feed the one on ur motor, but u should have so laughed at him, and pointed it out.

WaRRioR-StaTuS 02-06-2009 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by 08BlackSS/TC (Post 3429985)
I also visited the dealer today and was told the same thing. They ordered a new sensor but we'll see what happens next week.

Keep us posted!

so even though your car is NO WHERE NEAR STOCK they are helping you out...? hmm

08BlackSS/TC 02-06-2009 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by WaRRioR-StaTuS (Post 3430193)
so even though your car is NO WHERE NEAR STOCK they are helping you out...? hmm

Well.... Let's just say I have connections :lol:

1WhiteSSTC 02-06-2009 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 08BlackSS/TC (Post 3430305)
Well.... Let's just say I have connections :lol:

it's the only way to go these days:D

08BlackSS/TC 02-06-2009 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1WhiteSSTC (Post 3430389)
it's the only way to go these days:D

Nuff said :thumb:

1WhiteSSTC 02-06-2009 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by 08BlackSS/TC (Post 3430394)
Nuff said :thumb:

QFT :cssNET:

80vetteL82 02-07-2009 07:43 AM

So I got my car back and the sensor has been "ordered" like every other damn part im still waiting for.

Ive decided that Im definitely going to tune my car because my dealer doesnt know shit about my car and would never even look for a tune. While I was there the other day I was telling the guy that the sensor leak is apparently a common problem on the ecotecs and he just looked at me. I was like...ecotec, you know, thats the engine thats in my car. He was then like, Oh, yeah we dont get many of those here, actually I think yours is the only one Ive seen, and hes not just talking about the SS, however they didnt know what that was either. The first time I brought them my car for the brakes he looked at it and was like, do those wheels and brakes come stock? What are those?

Then when we got to talking about where the hell my brake pads are I finally said, you know, my dealer I bought the car from said the pads may not be in this area until about august and I really dont think the brakes are going to last. I said, the inner pads are basically gone now and if we wait much longer im going to be down to just metal, and then my caliper and then you guys are going to wind up replacing more. He said, "How many miles are on your car?" ...7000k....."Well I dont think the pads will be gone this early"!!!! Are you kidding!?! The whole reason theres a problem with the brakes is because the pads are gone this early! Theyve already looked at the brakes and know this... these people are killing me. Hes still shooting down the idea for the Saab pads, he said theyve never done anything like that and hes got to talk to his service manager.

Sorry for the long rant, Im just sick of this sh!t.

MaxVQ35DE 02-07-2009 10:10 AM

1. 80vetteL82 ('08)
2. Cobaltss/tc ('08)
3. Hill1513 ('09)
4. Joemann892 ('08)
5. Nakaiya21 ('08)
8. Krispy (08) 14k mi
11. MaxVQ35DE (09) 5300 miles

Terminator2 02-07-2009 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 80vetteL82 (Post 3431522)
So I got my car back and the sensor has been "ordered" like every other damn part im still waiting for.

Ive decided that Im definitely going to tune my car because my dealer doesnt know shit about my car and would never even look for a tune. While I was there the other day I was telling the guy that the sensor leak is apparently a common problem on the ecotecs and he just looked at me. I was like...ecotec, you know, thats the engine thats in my car. He was then like, Oh, yeah we dont get many of those here, actually I think yours is the only one Ive seen, and hes not just talking about the SS, however they didnt know what that was either. The first time I brought them my car for the brakes he looked at it and was like, do those wheels and brakes come stock? What are those?

Then when we got to talking about where the hell my brake pads are I finally said, you know, my dealer I bought the car from said the pads may not be in this area until about august and I really dont think the brakes are going to last. I said, the inner pads are basically gone now and if we wait much longer im going to be down to just metal, and then my caliper and then you guys are going to wind up replacing more. He said, "How many miles are on your car?" ...7000k....."Well I dont think the pads will be gone this early"!!!! Are you kidding!?! The whole reason theres a problem with the brakes is because the pads are gone this early! Theyve already looked at the brakes and know this... these people are killing me. Hes still shooting down the idea for the Saab pads, he said theyve never done anything like that and hes got to talk to his service manager.

My dealer is just as stupid. My service writer said that they cannot use anything but the genuine GM rear pads because they have to still warranty them. I know for a fact that they are allowed to substitute an equivalent part if the other is not avaliable. They also took my car and drove it 16 miles. For no reason some asshole was joyriding in my car, and he apparently was beating the shit out of it too because he burned approx 3 gallons of gas in those 16 miles. Needless to say I was infuriated and i called the service manager and chewed him a new one and told him they are not to drive my car off the lot at all without me in the car. The service manager told me that it was the shop foreman and that he is very responsible orlder man well I have to tell you that getting an average of 5.8 mpg would require that asshole to floor my car at every opportunity. Sorry to rant as well but i feel like some disrespectful asshole raped my car.

redcomet303 02-07-2009 10:42 AM

take a shit by the front door and get a new dealer.

Terminator2 02-07-2009 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by redcomet303 (Post 3431778)
take a shit by the front door and get a new dealer.

That is probably what I will do but there are no other convenient dealers so I will give them 1 more chance.

redcomet303 02-07-2009 11:16 AM

next time you take it see if you can put a small camera in to record them.
and if anything if you have on star give them a call and see if they can tell you how fast your car is going and its location etc. and if he drives it hard then I would just knee him in the nuts. Or get him fired which ever you perfer

Terminator2 02-07-2009 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by redcomet303 (Post 3431877)
next time you take it see if you can put a small camera in to record them.
and if anything if you have on star give them a call and see if they can tell you how fast your car is going and its location etc. and if he drives it hard then I would just knee him in the nuts. Or get him fired which ever you perfer

I tried the onstar thing after the fact but they have to log in to the vehicle live to tell location, speed, etc. so that did not work. I will just reset all my DIC functions so I can see basically what they are doing. They have on more chance before I go apeshit on someone.

buellfooll 02-07-2009 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 80vetteL82 (Post 3431522)

A suggestion. Whenever the service writer says he, or God forbid, she says they have to get something approved by the service manager ask them to call the service manager NOW so we can get this thing taken care of. If the service manager is, conveniently, not available tell the service writer don't worry about it, write the service writers name and the time of day on a piece of paper (make sure he sees you) and tell him you"ll call and make an appointment with the service manager at a time convenient to YOU as the first step in a satisfactory resolution of your problem. They HATE it when you talk nice and seem reasonable. And the "first step" part tells them (subliminally sp) there WILL be a next step to your complaint and they start to worry what that step might be. Try this. It has worked for me in the past. Usually the service manager mysteriously shows up. Just remember to be calm, polite and to the point. It scares the hell out of them. I went to my dealer yesterday to have mine looked at even though I can't see anything myself. It was late in the day so I made an appointment for Mon. AM. I'm printing out this forum to show him why I just want this documented. The SR knew about the LNF but started to tell me they weren't available in the sedan. Then I raised the hood. SURPRISE. The BIG SURPRISE is my car doesn't show anywhere on their computer even though they were the delivering dealer. This should be fun.:guns:

MaxVQ35DE 02-07-2009 01:43 PM

so if this still leaks after repeated fixes, my next question is how should i clean the connector without damaging it?

i want to leave it dirty for the techs to see, but i dont want any electrical issues impairing driveability

buellfooll 02-07-2009 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator2 (Post 3431928)
I tried the onstar thing after the fact but they have to log in to the vehicle live to tell location, speed, etc. so that did not work. I will just reset all my DIC functions so I can see basically what they are doing. They have on more chance before I go apeshit on someone.

Read your owners manual. Page 7-17. Might work for you.

Z_Ghost 02-07-2009 05:19 PM

I figured this would be like the back brake problem and I would not have this problem, but guess what? I do.:thumbsdow
I went and looked today and found a big bug up in there and it was covered in oil and so was the plug.
I will be taking it to the dealer as soon as I can get some free time to get this looked at.

2. Cobaltss/tc ('08)
3. Hill1513 ('09)
4. Joemann892 ('08)
5. Nakaiya21 ('08)
8. Krispy (08) 14k mi
11. MaxVQ35DE (09) 5300 miles
12. Z_Ghost (08) 8500 miles