2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

No 2nd 4th or reverse gear and intake problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No 2nd 4th or reverse gear and intake problem

ok so just like a hour ago i was at a dead stop and went to do a launch (not launch controll) and my car launched fine but when i went to nls from 1st to second there was no 2nd (i also do not have 4th or reverse).... so i was about a block from my gfs so i took it there and then went under the hood and looked. a mesh tube snapped off of the intake just below the bracket. also i belive i am missing a bold off the bracket for the transmission. the car has just over 5k miles on it and this is my second tranny problem..... i believe the roll over pin is shot too due to the fact that i have none of my lower gears (2nd 4th and reverse) im going to call the dealer in the morning but any suggestions or advice or knowledge would be helpfull... thanks in advanced

bump

Last edited by dunit121; 07-07-2009 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-07-2009, 03:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like your breather hose blew off? Not sure about your tranny, but it sounds like the rollpin.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:29 AM

ok thanks ... im guna call the dealer now n let u guys know what happened
Old 07-07-2009, 07:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, you broke the roll pin in your shifter linkage. It's the connection w/ a brass armature on the transmission. You can see it through the driver's side wheel. There are two.

A tech at your dealership is going to have to press in a new roll pin. Make sure he lines up the armature perfectly before he presses it in or it'll weaken right off the bat and break again.

Good luck...
Old 07-07-2009, 07:49 AM

before you take it in take off the drivers side wheel remove some of the inner wheel well and check your shifter linkage. mine pops out of the clip all the time and i lose any gears that are in the back like yours. it just clips back in then your ready to go
Old 07-07-2009, 07:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DVSk8er
before you take it in take off the drivers side wheel remove some of the inner wheel well and check your shifter linkage. mine pops out of the clip all the time and i lose any gears that are in the back like yours. it just clips back in then your ready to go
Oh cool!

The 08-09's don't use roll pins?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:27 AM

The 08-09's sure do - I broke mine during a test drive. I get the hell out of there quicker than you can say it's broke".

Went back 2 days later and bought the car anyway.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 AM

the dealer told me that they dont know what is wrong so i told them what is wrong and then they told me that there guna wait till tommorow for the cobalt guy to come in and look at it then ill get a call.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
at least they are letting a tech that knows cobalts look at it instead of some random
Old 07-07-2009, 09:12 AM

thats only because i know the service cordinator....
Old 07-09-2009, 12:42 PM

I had this problem with my car. It feels like there's nothing in 2nd 4th or reverse? I took mine in and it was not the roll pin.. They said the replace the shift linkage. So that might be your problem. That's what was wrong with mine atleast.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:49 PM
thc

i had this prob on my lsj no bottom gears. it ended up being the tube that holds the cable from bending popped off the bracket thats mounted on top of the trans. not sure how different your set up is but might be that? all i did was push it back on and all gears were back. took some force to get it to pop back on
Old 07-09-2009, 12:51 PM

9 out of 10 its the roll pin
Old 07-10-2009, 08:35 AM

shift cable is broken, how to fix

Happened to mine at 1000miles. The shift cable seperated and broke several of the plastic tabs that hold itr by the bracket on the trans. The dealership replaced it in a day.

But why do they make it out of plastic? I made sure to adjust my shifter cable inside the car so that when u pull back u don't over extend the cable forcing the tabs to much stgrain and ultimatly breaking them.

Take out ur cup holder. Pops out. You have two shift cables one for side rto side and one for up and down. The up and down is on the right. Put the car into 2nd with the engine off and then find the gray rectangle clip that the cable attaches to. The clip just lifts up a centimeter or so to loosen the hold on the cable. Make sure the cable is fuly engaging 2nd gear and pull the shift back into 2nd position gently and with ur left hand secure the clip back to lock it. That will bottom out ur shidt cable causing u not to over extend the cable while shifting causing that hyperextentsion of the cable which causes the ball and socket joint to pop apart breaking tabs. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by crackbunny
Happened to mine at 1000miles. The shift cable seperated and broke several of the plastic tabs that hold itr by the bracket on the trans. The dealership replaced it in a day.

But why do they make it out of plastic? I made sure to adjust my shifter cable inside the car so that when u pull back u don't over extend the cable forcing the tabs to much stgrain and ultimatly breaking them.

Take out ur cup holder. Pops out. You have two shift cables one for side rto side and one for up and down. The up and down is on the right. Put the car into 2nd with the engine off and then find the gray rectangle clip that the cable attaches to. The clip just lifts up a centimeter or so to loosen the hold on the cable. Make sure the cable is fuly engaging 2nd gear and pull the shift back into 2nd position gently and with ur left hand secure the clip back to lock it. That will bottom out ur shidt cable causing u not to over extend the cable while shifting causing that hyperextentsion of the cable which causes the ball and socket joint to pop apart breaking tabs. Good luck!
^^^ur right but does extending the cable make you shift slower?.... i talked to the dealer today and the parts are on there way. they said new intake piece, blow off gasket, rolling pin and a clutch cable.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by dunit121
^^^ur right but does extending the cable make you shift slower?.... i talked to the dealer today and the parts are on there way. they said new intake piece, blow off gasket, rolling pin and a clutch cable.
Jesus christ everything let go at the exact same time...hopefully the parts show up quickly so you can get your car back on the road !
Old 07-10-2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Permafried-
Jesus christ everything let go at the exact same time...hopefully the parts show up quickly so you can get your car back on the road !
yah all at once.... parts should be in by wednesday hopefully and i should have it back by next friday if everything goes as planned
Old 07-10-2009, 03:43 PM

I'm not saying to physically extend the cable. I am saying that when u shift u are pushing the cable through the plastic sleeve, kinda like a bicycle brake cable, and when the shift linkage goes into gear whemn the shift rod moves and stops, sometimes if the shift cable is not ajusted with the shifter inside you will still be able to pull the shifter intn 2nd and the cable will not want to go anywhere but the shifter will still have that free play. This is bad especially if u bang gears and nls from first to second. So if the shifter still can move that centimeter more and the shift rod is all the way in gear that shift cable needs to go somewhere when ur forcing it. And that place is popping gthe shift cable plastic body apart. Got it. I think that these cars have the SS badge for a reason and ill alignments and bad tunes from factory don't help at all. It should take some abuse and be sporty and super fun to drive. And its never fun driving back to the dealer!