2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

No-Lift Shift is Giving Me Trouble :-(

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No-Lift Shift is Giving Me Trouble :-(

Hey guys...

I have had my car for 2000 miles now and I have yet to experience no-lift shifting. I can't seem to nail it for some reason. I have a few questions:

- Do I have to use launch control in order to use the no-lift shift feature?
- If not, do I still put the car in launch control / competitive mode?
- While making the shifts, I keep my throttle wide open while pushing in the clutch and
shifting. I must complete the shift in less that .2 seconds, correct?

The only reason I am asking such stupid questions is because the car doesn't even try to retard the timing (or whatever it does) to lower the RPM, it immediately redlines the car as soon as I press in the clutch. I'm sorry that I keep bringing up this same topic, but I'm really having trouble and the dealership doesn't understand what my problem is. They say it shifts fine and have not heard of the no-lift shifting. They do not have any documents on it either. Thanks for your time....

Jake
Old 08-05-2008, 05:42 PM

Competition mode ON, don't need to use launch control, throttle to the floor constantly through the shifting. I've heard people not liking the 1st to 2nd no-lift, have you tried 2nd to 3rd?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:52 PM

Ya, it won't lower the RPM at all. I have gone through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th with full throttle attempting the no-lift and the car never attempted to lower the rpm between shifts, not even for .2 seconds. :-(
Old 08-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Banned

It's not supposed to lower the RPM.........it's supposed to hold it to keep boost up.

It keeps boost going by dumping fuel and pulling timing to heat the **** out of the exhaust.

Why would you want to lower the rpm while doing full throttle shifting???
Old 08-05-2008, 06:54 PM

you dont have to be in comp mode.....
Old 08-05-2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by StreetDreamz
It's not supposed to lower the RPM.........it's supposed to hold it to keep boost up.

It keeps boost going by dumping fuel and pulling timing to heat the **** out of the exhaust.

Why would you want to lower the rpm while doing full throttle shifting???
You would want to lower the RPM so that it will be better syncronized with the transmission once the clutch is dropped. I though that was the point. I'm dumb though and I'm still learning.

Either way, the RPM redlines. It slams up to redline the second I push in the clutch.

Last edited by sbdblyss; 08-05-2008 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-05-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Doesn't no-lift shift only work for a split second anyways? After that the rev limiter should kick in as normal.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Psykostevo
Doesn't no-lift shift only work for a split second anyways? After that the rev limiter should kick in as normal.
The rev limiter does kick in and the RPM immediately goes to redline. It doesn't wait for .2 seconds.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sbdblyss
You would want to lower the RPM so that it will be better syncronized with the transmission once the clutch is dropped. I though that was the point. I'm dumb though and I'm still learning.

Either way, the RPM redlines. It slams up to redline the second I push in the clutch.

Yes but if you drop the redline then you kill the engine load and there is nothing to spool the turbo if the load is gone. The transmission will drop the revs just fine.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've done it without comp mode on. You just have to be quick about your gear changes.

Personally, I don't care for doing it 1st to 2nd.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Banned

.2 seconds is a pretty fast shift. maybe you're just not shifting fast enough.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
.2 seconds is a pretty fast shift. maybe you're just not shifting fast enough.
Really...

I'm no pro, but I have yet to have a problem with this. The only odd thing I've noticed in the recent month is when I wait too long to shift. It will hit the limiter and fall flat on it's face. But that's my fault - not the car's. If you don't think you're doing it right, swing over to YouTube and search for 'powershift' or 'powershifting' and you'll find tons of vids.

Basically, the best way to describe the procedure is this....

**WITH COMP MODE ON**

As you approach redline during a WOT run, you want to stab the clutch with your left foot and keep your right foot firmly planted....and when I say stab, I mean you pretend like you're Bruce Lee and be on and off that clutch as fast as you can. In the split second your left foot is passing the halfway point in the clutch pedal's travel, you should start your gear change.

**SIDE NOTE** You can feel the point where the clutch disengages by applying a bit of pressure on the shifter. When trying to feel it out, do so on normal shifts until you have a good understanding where that point is. Then, you can translate your understanding to the NLS.

Back to the stabbing... You need to be completely in the next gear just before you get back to that same point of travel on the rebound. If you're not coordinated enough to accomplish this, you probably shouldn't be 'no-lift shifting' (aka powershifting) your car.

That's pretty much all there is to it. Just be cautious on the 2>3 upshift - it's probably the easiest one to miss. That and redline. The tach is a little slow to respond - so you may have to start the 1>2 earlier than the rest of your gear changes to avoid the 'falls on it's face' part.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:35 PM

silly question but are you taking it to redline before attempting to shift? because if your not and you do no lift shift of coarse the rpm are gonna fly up higher... because you say youv done it from 3rd to 4th and thats 110+mph so im just thinking you may be trying to use it without going to redline? which will not work so well for the clutchy
Old 08-06-2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by hungryhip-ccp
silly question but are you taking it to redline before attempting to shift? because if your not and you do no lift shift of coarse the rpm are gonna fly up higher... because you say youv done it from 3rd to 4th and thats 110+mph so im just thinking you may be trying to use it without going to redline? which will not work so well for the clutchy
I think it's possible that some people on this board (not all - just a select few) choose not to obey the posted speed limits on our nation's roadways.

http://content.gmownercenter.yahoo.c...alt_owners.pdf

That's the owners manual. I thought there was something in there about NLS....but upon further inspection, couldn't find anything. Sorry.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 08-06-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:56 PM

Actually you want to be shifting before you hit the clutch... it sounds odd i know... it what my dad told me when i was still driving my 79 Camaro and i gave him the look....

Right Foot Firmly Planted on the Throttle Pedal... Shift AND Mash the clutch at the same time...
now i drive an SS/SC so my RPM's go flying up but from what i read and hear your RPM should hold steady...

I've done it this way everytime im at the track (granted not first -> 2nd gear but the rest)

This is just my .02 so...
Old 08-06-2008, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with "same time" but not "before"
Old 08-06-2008, 07:20 PM

yeah sorry anomalous.... its kinda hard to explain...
its just a force of habit now for me so explaining it is hard
Old 08-06-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by an0malous
I agree with "same time" but not "before"
Thats the key. It has to be done as one fluid motion, and it has to happen really fast. If you are thinking about any part of it while doing it, you are taking too long. I've WOT shifted my car and many others, you just have to go for it. As long as the car is set up correctly it works out fine, the SS/TC just has extra electronics to make it easier on the drivetrain, so they can advertise it from the factory. It will achieve the same effect anyway if you shift very fast without lifting your right foot.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
. It has to be done as one fluid motion, and it has to happen really fast. If you are thinking about any part of it while doing it, you are taking too long.
haha Exactly what i was TRYIN to say
Old 08-07-2008, 12:26 PM

There doesn't seem to be a lot of "official" info from GM, but from the media coverage at GM hosted events like the big track day out here in SoCal they were saying you have at most around three-tenths of a second to complete the shift and you need to do it right at redline (one mentioned at 6250 which is just before the 6300 soft limiter). I have a suspicion that it may not even be active and won't alter the cam timing (and probably fuel, electronic throttle, and ignition timing as well) unless you are right at redline. You wouldn't want to do it at say 5500 or 6000 rpms.

Try taking it all the way up and doing it just as you're hitting redline. I was using it at the track and it works well and you can hear the characteristic "pop" if you do it right and listen carefully. The thing I don't like about the 1st to 2nd shift is that it's really harsh, especially with the stock mounts. After watching some videos or my track runs you can also hear the tires chirping even on the 2nd to 3rd shift.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:53 PM

it works... I did my 1st two last night at 478 miles on the car, just to see if I could... I also launch at around 2200 rpm, don't like launch control...
Old 08-07-2008, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its all good sniper, i knew what you meant, just didnt want people to start rammin that gearbox around without clutching

Ive wotshifted more times than i can count,
and as i said in the other big thread about it, no-lift shift hasnt proven itself to be anything more than a gimmick to me so far.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:03 PM

i hear that Anomalous... i think i've heard more complaining bout it then i have anyone loving it...

either way i wouldnt mind tryin it out!
Old 08-07-2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by sn!perwolf
i hear that Anomalous... i think i've heard more complaining bout it then i have anyone loving it...

either way i wouldnt mind tryin it out!
I LOVE IT! Again, why would people get on here to say how much they love using something and tell everyone how they get it to work perfectly. All of the people posting about it are complaining because they don't know how to use it...
Old 08-07-2008, 05:18 PM

Simmer down fella.. im sure there are lots of people who love it, like yourself for example... we were just simply stating some helpful hints to ease them into knowing how to do it!

I dont doubt for a minute that if you know how to use it its fun (i.e. - hahn at the track!)... i wouldnt have said i didnt want to try it if 95% of the people were complaining....

Quick Reply: No-Lift Shift is Giving Me Trouble :-(