2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

No tune with aftermarket intake question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No tune with aftermarket intake question.

ive read and read and searched all about aftermarket intakes. i know that they all throw different fuel skews. my questions is ........ the hahn intake doesnt throw as bad as the others, can i run the intake on my car before i tune it? what would be the long term damge to my car until i get it tuned? would it be better to hold off and not put it on until i buy a tune?

for the people that ran an aftermarket intake on their untuned cobalt whats your opinion? thanks for any info
Old 01-02-2010, 10:41 PM

I know that it probablly isnt what you want to hear but I believe many are going to say stick with what you already have. I see nothing but good reviews for the K&N with Airbox Mod. Unfortunately I cant comment on your actual question. Good luck in your decision.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:45 PM

you can run untuned but dont ride her hard, you got to accel really slow. its not worth toseing it on till the tune.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hahn intake was the first mod that I did to my car, I just recently installed the GMS1 I was intake only for at least 6-8 months, and drove the car just as hard as I do now, and have never had a problem. I love this intake, is sounds great, looks great, and has never givin me any problems.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by silver187666
you can run untuned but dont ride her hard, you got to accel really slow. its not worth toseing it on till the tune.
Why is that?? I just bought my car, and it has a Hahn intake. As far as I know its untuned.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:19 AM

i through a injen CAI on my 2.2 ( yah i know but what ever) and it restircted my car cause of it
Old 01-03-2010, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by StreetDrag03
Hahn intake was the first mod that I did to my car, I just recently installed the GMS1 I was intake only for at least 6-8 months, and drove the car just as hard as I do now, and have never had a problem. I love this intake, is sounds great, looks great, and has never givin me any problems.
thanks for the info. that helps a lot. makes me want the hahn intake a lot more
Old 01-03-2010, 05:12 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its never given you problems because you've never scanned your car with HPT. Do that then you will wonder how your car isnt fucked up Just cause it "seems" normal doesnt mean it is.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ troof
Old 01-03-2010, 09:01 AM

My Hahn CoolRam intake skewed the fuel trims 10 - 12% before tuned, since no CEL is set, I guess you think it's good. It's not. It takes 25% error to set a CEL. You need to tune for all the aftermarket intakes to be right, even the airbox mod/K&N shifts it ~5-7%.

The AEM CAI has issues with the silicone piece being too flimsy causing compressor surge, as well as skewing the trims about the same as the Hahn.

Hahn CoolRam dialed in as best as I can over a few months still shifts from -1.6 to +2.3% depending on the weather, not to mention that it goes to ~+7 in the rain when the filter gets damp from the foglight opening. It runs the best of all the ones I tried, but still has issues.

I'm going to try the K&N Typhoon SRI when it comes out, hoping it's better than the Dejon SRI was.

Last edited by Iam Broke; 01-03-2010 at 09:07 AM. Reason: sp
Old 01-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Banned

to the OP, if you want to buy the intake without a tune go for it. IT WONT HURT YOUR CAR. its just an intake guys stop making it sound like hes "******* his car up" by putting it on. tuning it will give you maximum potential though.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mike09SS
to the OP, if you want to buy the intake without a tune go for it. IT WONT HURT YOUR CAR. its just an intake guys stop making it sound like hes "******* his car up" by putting it on. tuning it will give you maximum potential though.
It probably wont hurt his car, but it will cause drivability issues and skew the fuel trims (which lead to drivability issues). I drove around with my CIA SRI for a few weeks and noticed the compressor recirc valved liked to blow off for no reason, and there was surging (for lack of a better word) in between slow shifts. After the tune was fixed to correct for the intake, all of those issues went away. The problems were minor, but the effects could be felt. I never hit a CEL, but my LTFT's were off by about -15.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by IsItFast?
It probably wont hurt his car, but it will cause drivability issues and skew the fuel trims (which lead to drivability issues). I drove around with my CIA SRI for a few weeks and noticed the compressor recirc valved liked to blow off for no reason, and there was surging (for lack of a better word) in between slow shifts. After the tune was fixed to correct for the intake, all of those issues went away. The problems were minor, but the effects could be felt. I never hit a CEL, but my LTFT's were off by about -15.
mine doesnt do anything different with the hahn intake that it didnt do with the stock intake, except be louder.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:12 PM

The LTFT is -15 mainly because the CIA intakes are smaller diameter than the stock intake. Stock intake at the MAF is 3.25"OD Not sure on the exact ID, CIAs intakes are 3" OD IIRC. AEMs intake causes +9 LTFT because the intake tube's inner cross sectional area is approx 10% larger than stock.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Banned

I've noticed these exact issues with my car as well with my Hahn Intake. So my best bet would be to just get a tune?? Any recommendations?? I need something inexpensive if possible, this is just the DD.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD
I've noticed these exact issues with my car as well with my Hahn Intake. So my best bet would be to just get a tune?? Any recommendations?? I need something inexpensive if possible, this is just the DD.
honestly if you dont feel like wasting the money on a tune then dont. the car will run fine without a tune. if anything your hurting the car more by getting it tuned. boosting 22psi in the long run is going to cause more wear and tear on the car than running an intake on the stock tune. just FYI
Old 01-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Correct! You can run the Hahn intake on the stock tune, many have, including myself at one time.

You will still gain power though the ENTIRE power band with the intake, the ECU only limits PEAK power. You are not at 5800 RPM (peak power) very often. You spend most of your time below this point, so you will notice a difference.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mike09SS
honestly if you dont feel like wasting the money on a tune then dont. the car will run fine without a tune. if anything your hurting the car more by getting it tuned. boosting 22psi in the long run is going to cause more wear and tear on the car than running an intake on the stock tune. just FYI
A tune doesn't necessarily mean tons of boost. He could simply get the MAF scaled properly to get his fuel trims back in line.

For the cost of a couple hp tuners credits id say its worth it.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pyros777
A tune doesn't necessarily mean tons of boost. He could simply get the MAF scaled properly to get his fuel trims back in line.

I agree.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pyros777

good look finding someone whos going to tune your car for that. your looking at 200 dollars minimum and if your car isnt even going to be faster, whats the point. a simple intake wont see any long term effect on your car. anyone who pays for a tune like that would be classified retarded. now if it was unsafe then id agree, but this intake is definatley not going to do damage to the car in anyway, so its totally pointless
Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 PM

If you have access to HP Tuners, I'm sure someone could send you the Hahn or AEM MAf & correction files they are using, if you don't have HPT, then I guess you'd need to find someone that has it.

If not, run it the way it is if you don't want to pay for a tune. It's your car and your choice, right?

No worries.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get all the hahn parts you can.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:33 PM

Thanks for all the info for now i think im going to stick with the kn droping and airbox mod. Hopefully soon im going to get a tune..but not sure which one. i meet dan from CIA and vince from Trifect when i bought my charge piping. they were working on my dads 2010 2ss camaro at the same time. i got to ride in a ss/tc with full CIA bolt ons and also vinces infinboost tune...OMG it was amazing never would have guessed how easy it was to lose traction in 3rd gear. im just not sure if i want the infinboost tune due to the fact my cobalt is my daily driver. what tune would you guys recomend? i like to drag race and also auto-x...and im not going to lie also a few street races every so often. thanks for all the help
Old 01-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2009Cobalt
Thanks for all the info for now i think im going to stick with the kn droping and airbox mod. Hopefully soon im going to get a tune..but not sure which one. i meet dan from CIA and vince from Trifect when i bought my charge piping. they were working on my dads 2010 2ss camaro at the same time. i got to ride in a ss/tc with full CIA bolt ons and also vinces infinboost tune...OMG it was amazing never would have guessed how easy it was to lose traction in 3rd gear. im just not sure if i want the infinboost tune due to the fact my cobalt is my daily driver. what tune would you guys recomend? i like to drag race and also auto-x...and im not going to lie also a few street races every so often. thanks for all the help

every single tune is different. most people are upping the boost to 22psi for a standard tune. obviously other factors are involved but i dont know the 1st thing about tuning. from what i hear a standard trifecta tune is pretty good and is custom to your car and mods.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:17 AM

Since you're so close to the source, just go with Vince. You can't go wrong, especially if you get some dyno time with him.

Quick Reply: No tune with aftermarket intake question.