Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LNF Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/)
-   -   Oil in Turbo (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/oil-turbo-308789/)

boooost 04-09-2014 06:15 AM

Oil in Turbo

So yesterday during my install of my new K&N SRI when I pulled out my stock intake there was oil on the turbo where the intake would connect to. Took a picture inside the turbo to check, thank god there was no oil in there but its weird theres oil at all there. Just wondering if you guys had came across this? Or what would be the cause of this?

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/...94065165_n.jpg

andrewcarr1993 04-09-2014 04:47 PM

Pretty normal, invest in Powell's PCV and you won't have this issue.

Dutchman 04-09-2014 05:08 PM

I just bought it the other day

Grave 04-09-2014 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993 (Post 7320136)
Pretty normal, invest in Powell's PCV and you won't have this issue.

This is normal:
Attachment 24170

What the OP posted is well beyond that. I'm not sure what the mileage is, but there is something going on and I'm sure the valves are not in good shape.

umrdyldo 04-09-2014 07:12 PM

I agree that seems like a lot of oil.

I am guessing there is an aftermarket tune on the car and at high boost you are getting a lot of oil blow by.

I would also agree that you need to be looking at the valves to see how bad they are.

So OP what kind of mods are on the car. Do you have a warranty left?

I wouldn't order the Powell PCV yet until you get everything figured out on the car.

Do you have any other issues that you have found?

ECaulk 04-09-2014 08:46 PM

Miles on car?

boooost 04-09-2014 09:03 PM

I bought it at the dealership has 57k miles all stock just installed intake. Was previously owned by some lady. Im the 2nd owner of the car. Yea I thought it was weird with that much oil..only other issue ive had is just shift selector but that was my fault lol other then that car seems to be running fine. Turbo valves are all good also.

footballplaya3k 04-09-2014 09:26 PM

Get Powell's separator.

umrdyldo 04-09-2014 09:29 PM

No we mean you need to get a camera and look at the intake valves on the engine. If she drove it like a grandma the valves will have a ton of oil deposits on them.

Common issue. What part of Oklahoma you in

boooost 04-09-2014 09:35 PM

Ill have to look into it this weekend with my cousin. Gonna clean it up and hopefully it was just because its been forever and just been building up. I live tulsa OK northeast of OK 1hr away from OKC

umrdyldo 04-09-2014 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by boooost (Post 7320304)
Ill have to look into it this weekend with my cousin. Gonna clean it up and hopefully it was just because its been forever and just been building up. I live tulsa OK northeast of OK 1hr away from OKC

I'm in Springfield MO

Here is my valve gunk thread. There are many on here.
LNF valve gunk pics - Cobalt SS Network

ECaulk 04-09-2014 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo (Post 7320303)
No we mean you need to get a camera and look at the intake valves on the engine. If she drove it like a grandma the valves will have a ton of oil deposits on them.

Common issue. What part of Oklahoma you in

Almost bet it was driven extended periods of time at lower rpm to try to get better fuel mileage.

blrt 04-10-2014 07:14 AM

Oil accumulates in the turbo area is from driving under boost a lot and the opposite for oil in the intake manifold. That's how the pcv works on the lnf. I have no oil in my turbo area but lots of it in the intake manifold because of my driving styles - mostly off boost or not at full boost every time.
My take is that it would be better to have oil in the turbo then inside the intake manifold.

MADDOGCORPSMAN 07-11-2016 11:23 PM

Misfire explained!! 80K on this car

So the misfires were phantom ones at least after replacing all of my coils, and trying to ferret out the codes reappearing.
I had a dealer try and ended up with my original Stock tune in the computer.
What exactly do I need to do a Walnut Shell cleaning? Meantime does the Powell kit include some sort of breather for the crankcase?
It is good to know what was causing my issue...still I am not up to speed on doing the compressor thing.