2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

running lean at idle... (boost leak?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
running lean at idle... (boost leak?)

ok, so, i have had my car back for about 2 weeks now, running on just a basic tune to get me around until bill gets back so he can do the real tuning, and the day before yesterday i popped a code, had it checked, and it read this,,,, "running lean at idle"
so, i began to check a lil bit under the hood, i found one loose fitting, tightened it up, and did not have tools/time to tighten anything else... i have the full setup from hahn, to include the S20G turbo, & Hahn BOV, so, if yall have any suggestions, please post them.. my plan now is to,,,... today i am going to pop loose all the hoses and fittings, put a lil high temp silicone in all areas, and slap it all back together, and put more clamps on, only upside down,, (reverse from the other clamps) that way, i can be sure that there is no weak spot in the clamps... so, hopefully that works, and hopefully i get my 20 psi back, cuz since this light has been on due to this, i have fell down to 10 psi, a major indicator of boost leak, and my computer saying, whoa,,, hey,,, what do i do with all this air??? AHHH!!! let me know what yall think..
Old 04-26-2009, 04:55 AM

I don't think it's that.

If you have been ******* with the tune, that is where I would start...
Old 04-26-2009, 04:59 AM

no, i have not messed with anything on the tune, or the cars electronic system itself... i'm not that kinda guy, i leave my work to the pros, i pay to have my mods done right, and only for a price.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by badbaltguy
no, i have not messed with anything on the tune, or the cars electronic system itself... i'm not that kinda guy, i leave my work to the pros, i pay to have my mods done right, and only for a price.
running on just a basic tune to get me around until bill gets back so he can do the real tuning
What I am trying to say is that it has been tampered with from factory.. So what is more likely, that the plastic tubes are causing a fuel delivery problem, or the MAP THAT CONTROLS THE FUEL DELIVERY NEEDS TO BE ADJUSTED?
Old 04-26-2009, 05:10 AM

uhm... guy,,, you need to read my signature,,, MY CAR IS NO LONGER ANYWHERE CLOSE TO STOCK NO MORE!!!!!!!!! here,,, HAHN intercooler,,, HAHN charge piping (hot and cold side) HAHN aold air intake, HAHN billet BOV system, HAHN S20G turbo upgrade, HAHN 3" catless downpipe, HAHN 3" cat-back exhaust.... AAAAAAANNNNNNDDD...... they tuned the car, did some road tests, and sent me home with it tuned down quite a notch lower until bill gets back to finish it up and get what i wanted... so, no,,, nothing is messed up with the tune,,, even though it aint a full tune yet.... something is loose,, i can hear it, i just have to find it and seal it up..
Old 04-26-2009, 05:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless they did a few days of tuning and drove it a good bit, there is a chance it could be in the tune. You missed the point that was being made by Brian MP5T, that you have modified the car above stock and the easiest "culprit" may be the tune. What's the wideband readings btw, at idle, cruise, and WOT? Hopefully it is some clamps/tubing and such.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:50 AM

the reason i say it's not the tuning is because I WAS THERE the day it wasa road tested like,, 10 times.... it is not the tune, i have been driving the car for a couple weeks now, and if it was the tune it would have showed up that very day that i drove it home..... since then i have taken it to the track, run the hell outta it, played with it on the streets, and all that... so, it's not the tune... i just got back from buying me a toolset and some high temp silicone so as soon as i get some sleep, i am gonna tear into it and redo all the fittings, EVERY SINGLE FITTING.....,,,, and add on some extra clamps. i'm gonna shut this leak up, and hopefully that code clears.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:01 AM

have Bill fix it....
Old 04-26-2009, 09:14 AM

Ok, You asked for help, but had already decided that anything other than what you think is correct is wrong.

Why did you bother, instead of typing all that ****, you should have started to look for your phantom leak.

It would have been finished and you would have realized that it didn't fix ****.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaxVQ35DE
have Bill fix it....
That's what i was thinking, have the pro's do it if you don't like to tinker with it. Maybe you just need to add some fuel at idle, who knows, you gotta log the car and get some data from it.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL the same thing happened, check the recirculating line
Old 04-26-2009, 06:01 PM

Boost leak anywhere after the turbo anywhere will make it run rich at idle not lean.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jarhead
Boost leak anywhere after the turbo anywhere will make it run rich at idle not lean.
Would this only be true under boost? At idle obviously it's not boosting. I could understand under boost running rich, but at idle there's a vacuum. So it'd be sucking IN extra air making it lean and under boost the boost would escape making it run rich. N/A cars with intake manifold leaks for example run lean don't they?

Not being an ass... just asking. I may not know what I'm even talking about.

Anyway, if not the tune my first try would be where the intake mounts on the inlet of the Turbo. Just because it's a little PIA back there.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Zander916
Would this only be true under boost? At idle obviously it's not boosting. I could understand under boost running rich, but at idle there's a vacuum. So it'd be sucking IN extra air making it lean and under boost the boost would escape making it run rich. N/A cars with intake manifold leaks for example run lean don't they?

Not being an ass... just asking. I may not know what I'm even talking about.

Anyway, if not the tune my first try would be where the intake mounts on the inlet of the Turbo. Just because it's a little PIA back there.
Is that what cel code you get lean at idle? A vacuum leak or a maf problem did you recently put a cai on by chance? will cause lean condition, but a boost leak will cause rich at idle every time with or w/o actually being in boost. Hope this helps.

By the way I moved from Springfield tn two years ago and I have a friend who lives right by gate two in Clarksville he is running a 5 sec 1/8 mile dragster at the same track you do. I see now in you're sig you have about every mod and a turbo upgrade I would look before the turbo starting with the cai. maf sensors wiring and vacuum lines And the recirculating hose as others have the same problem. I would bet money is not a boost leak after turbo.

Last edited by jarhead; 04-26-2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-26-2009, 07:19 PM

well, i finally got under the hood and did some tightening of ALL the fittings,, every single fitting, and clamp, and it fixed the problem... it took some time to get all of them tight, but the issue is now fixed, and i'm now boosting stronger, and cleaner than ever before. no check engine light.... problem solved.