2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

So who thinks their intakes are messing up their car??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofu
That would be awesome Term, I'd be interested to know what the setup will consist of!
Going to Home Depot tonight to see what I can fabricate. I bet it will show some gains in flow as speeds increase. Depending on the results I might leave my stock filter in.

Originally Posted by reign1
im still missing my maf sensor screws......
Hardware store. Bring your intake in with you and just match it up.

Last edited by Terminator2; 08-18-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-18-2009, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black08SSTC
**** it im definitely putting on my stock intake
Smart man!

Run this fri with the CAI, and then go next week with the Stock intake and see if the traps get any reall diff
Old 08-18-2009, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by orbalt08
I don't want to have to put the stock box back in. I like having the intake. I don't want to have to justify to myself spending close to 300 to just use the silicone piece. There has to be something

If it makes you feel better, the backordered silicone piece was something like $180 shipped from Summit. I bought the entire intake too. No $$$, no gain. We are all guinea pigs on this stuff.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator2
All I can say is that I have never seen any reports of compressor surge issues with Hahn's intake, Injen's intake, or Dejons. All skew the fuel trims. That I can easily fix but this surging the AEM ntake causes is not so easy to get rid off. The only real big difference between Hahn's intake and AEM's is the MAF placement.
I have an unopened MAF adapter that I bought from the local auto parts store, I was going to build my own intake at one time but thought better of it. I still have the adapter.

I could block off the MAF location on my Injen pipe and do some experimentation with that adapter. Move it closer to the filter maybe and log some runs? I would have to extend the MAF harness but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Testing various locations for the MAF is something I would expect Injen would have done, but based on the issues being reported, I'm not so sure.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rissa
So I can sell my AEM now? SWEET!!!

How much you want for it???
Old 08-18-2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Iam Broke
If it makes you feel better, the backordered silicone piece was something like $180 shipped from Summit. I bought the entire intake too. No $$$, no gain. We are all guinea pigs on this stuff.
It really doesn't make me feel all that better about the situation. Guinea pigs is one way to put it, but it shouldn't be like this for the consumer to have to do this much testing with a "finished" product.

Term2, keep us updated with what you find out about rigging something up. I'll have to come see you again if it's promising.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Iam Broke
Part #???
Old 08-18-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Terminator, you should try to run a duct from the main box houseing (obviously taking out the tube) to the back of the fog light and see what gains you get.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by crypticscifer
Part #???
From summit racing. From the link on page 2
5-6821 tube
2-929 nipple valve
or you can use this instead of the nipple valve
Dorman Fuel line part # 800-155
Old 08-18-2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rownan
I have an unopened MAF adapter that I bought from the local auto parts store, I was going to build my own intake at one time but thought better of it. I still have the adapter.

I could block off the MAF location on my Injen pipe and do some experimentation with that adapter. Move it closer to the filter maybe and log some runs? I would have to extend the MAF harness but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Testing various locations for the MAF is something I would expect Injen would have done, but based on the issues being reported, I'm not so sure.
It seems like moving it closer to the filter but further from the engine is the worst thing to do in this case. My car had a few FT issues especially once it got hot with my Dejon SRI but it never caused any surge. I can fix the fuel trims but I have not found a fix for the surge.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:03 PM

Weak sauce!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by ecotecturbo
Weak sauce!
Explain please.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:10 PM

Well I will log the Clear Image intake once it's on. It's gonna throw fuel trims off definitely, but the question is, by how much.

According to Dan, he mentioned on the stock tune it hasn't caused any side effects, but we don't have any logs for proof.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by wantedSS/TC
Well I will log the Clear Image intake once it's on. It's gonna throw fuel trims off definitely, but the question is, by how much.

According to Dan, he mentioned on the stock tune it hasn't caused any side effects, but we don't have any logs for proof.
Did you get the CAI or SRI?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:36 PM

Did you get the CAI or SRI?
Cold Air Intake. After seeing the effects of the SRI, I opted out, unless you get THEIR tune with it, no thanks.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:37 PM

It seems like moving it closer to the filter but further from the engine is the worst thing to do in this case. My car had a few FT issues especially once it got hot with my Dejon SRI but it never caused any surge. I can fix the fuel trims but I have not found a fix for the surge.
Understood. I'm not sure I've experienced the surge with my Injen pipe, but I do get some occasional bucking under part throttle. Maybe this is what you are describing.

I understand that the FTs can be tuned out, but from the evidence gathered by Tofu, a recalibration still results in a LOSS of power through a large chunk of the power band. That bothers me even more than some simple cold startup driveability issues and some part throttle surging.

Do you suppose it's possible that the power loss is something that can be remedied when additional fuel tables are discovered?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:38 PM

Help?

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...4&postcount=95
Old 08-18-2009, 02:42 PM

Explain please.
He has a mancrush on Bill Hahn Jr.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rownan
Understood. I'm not sure I've experienced the surge with my Injen pipe, but I do get some occasional bucking under part throttle. Maybe this is what you are describing.

I understand that the FTs can be tuned out, but from the evidence gathered by Tofu, a recalibration still results in a LOSS of power through a large chunk of the power band. That bothers me even more than some simple cold startup driveability issues and some part throttle surging.

Do you suppose it's possible that the power loss is something that can be remedied when additional fuel tables are discovered?
I will take somepower loss over compressor surge anyday. Anyway once more of the fueling and spark tables are unlocked this can be fixed but until then I Am probably going back to the sock airbox.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:47 PM

I will take somepower loss over compressor surge anyday. Anyway once more of the fueling and spark tables are unlocked this can be fixed but until then I Am probably going back to the sock airbox.
Ahh, I thought you were referring to power surge, not compressor surge. Yes, I would also take a loss in power or go back to the stock airbox if I had symptoms of compressor surge.. You've got me wondering now.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:49 PM

What's causing the compressor surge? Too much suction head before the compressor?... I thought that half the point of an intake was to reduce that...
Old 08-18-2009, 02:50 PM

Pulling timing is not going to help the cold start surging as the timing is at -16 to -18* and we cannot adjust the timing at cold start up anyway.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:52 PM

Pulling timing is not going to help the cold start surging as the timing is at -16 to -18* and we cannot adjust the timing at cold start up anyway.
So you recommend I go AEM with stock box and go from there?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Stamina
What's causing the compressor surge? Too much suction head before the compressor?... I thought that half the point of an intake was to reduce that...
I am unsure but it seems like the extra time it takes for the measured airmass to reach the motor is part of the issue. I have logged a ton of non CEL setting misfires as well with this intake.

So you recommend I go AEM with stock box and go from there?
Yes at this point. I am keeping my AEM for the elbow and I might eventually put it back on the car.

Last edited by Terminator2; 08-18-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-18-2009, 02:58 PM

I am unsure but it seems like the extra time it takes for the measured airmass to reach the motor is part of the issue. I have logged a ton of non CEL setting misfires as well with this intake.
That's funny you mentioned that because that thought crossed my mind two days ago when I was thinking about MAF placement.

I wonder if there's a table that needs to be unlocked that has to do with "latency of MAF readings". In other words, the amount of time between the time the MAF makes a reading until the ECU knows it's time to act upon that reading.

What may be happening is that we've got the MAF/ECU out of sync with the engine when the MAF starts getting relocated.

Quick Reply: So who thinks their intakes are messing up their car??