2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Swapping LNF PCM Back after Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swapping LNF PCM Back after Stage 1

I kept my Stock PCM from my LNF

I installed the Stage One sensors from Performance Autowerks

Flashed the Stage 1 tune with HP Tuners

Question is if i need to ever swap back my PCM for anything at the dealer can I with the 3 bar map sensors?

Or should i just do a Write Entire of the GM Stage 1 Tune and plead ignorance?

If i have no use for the extra pcm im going to sell it

Thanks
Old 06-09-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I mean if something castastrophic happened like you blew the turbo, you could always go back to stock MAP's and stock ECU and be fine. I think you can run the 3 bars with the stock ECU but the dealer might be like WTF, but knowing most dealers they dont know the difference in MAP sensors anyway
Old 06-09-2010, 06:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't run 3 bars on stock tune.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by SSlobalt
Can't run 3 bars on stock tune.
So it worth me keeping it?

How can the dealer tell if the Stage 1 was flashed by them or HPT ?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by D-mac

I have absolutely no idea how they determine that. PM one of the tune geeks. The techs here in Austin don't know an LNF from a rabid wombat. I don't know how they would ever figure it out.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have absolutely no idea how they determine that. PM one of the tune geeks. The techs here in Austin don't know an LNF from a rabid wombat. I don't know how they would ever figure it out.
Good thing you won't be bringing that car by my dealer... We happen to be well versed... =p
Old 06-09-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Malaclypsemus
Good thing you won't be bringing that car by my dealer... We happen to be well versed... =p
thats what a lot of dealers say.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:31 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I think its logged everytime they sell a tune kit and there is a unique verification number you get. (they will not flash it without this because gm wont give them the tune) i think this also prevents warranty approved re sale of a stage kit because even with the sensors gm wont give you the tune.

so if the tune you have is a duplicate or it doesnt match one they sold they would realize it was a fake.... i doublt they woudl ever realize though.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dart_SI
thats what a lot of dealers say.
I only say that because we've been dealing with the LNF since 2007 in the Redline and GXP. We've installed a few stage kits and have been instructed on how to check for afftermarket tunes.

Disclaimer: I'm not one of those ******** who'll try and turn everything CP because of an aftermarket exhaust. Sometimes its out of my hands, though.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:40 PM

I only say that because we've been dealing with the LNF since 2007 in the Redline and GXP. We've installed a few stage kits and have been instructed on how to check for afftermarket tunes.

Disclaimer: I'm not one of those ******** who'll try and turn everything CP because of an aftermarket exhaust. Sometimes its out of my hands, though.
im glad you said that.
because for a min things were starting to sound fishy,
do you have an lnf?

hopefully you really aren't some dealership, trying to void warranties, cause i've already heard horror stories of people here in austin comparing a un to a car, and then voiding it.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by interviewatruins
im glad you said that.
because for a min things were starting to sound fishy,
do you have an lnf?

hopefully you really aren't some dealership, trying to void warranties, cause i've already heard horror stories of people here in austin comparing a un to a car, and then voiding it.
I picked up my 2010 SS two weeks ago. I plan on either keeping it stock or going with the GM S1 kit. The stage kit is even iffy... because I like the car how it is. I don't have a need to go faster.

Here's the break down on where I stand with mods and warranties. I'm not looking for any excuse to deny a warranty repair. However, in some cases I'm required to check the vehicle for certain things (IE Aftermarket tunes). What is done with that information isn't my decision.

Thankfully I doubt I'll be seeing any Cobalts for warranty repairs. This post would probably make me pretty unpopular around here...
Old 06-09-2010, 09:38 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

As Ive understood it:
  • all GM tunes have an ID code stored in it
  • all ID codes are on file for a given vehicle

Any modifications to the cars tune, because of a mathmatical calculation of the tune's values, changes your tune's ID code.

When you order a Stage 1, you give your vin, and a new tune is prepared for you;
When you bring your car to get reflashed, the dealer submits your car info to GM, along with a unique ID code given to you with the stage 1 kit;
This new tune then becomes associated with your vehicle.

Originally Posted by slapbetcommissioner
I think its logged everytime they sell a tune kit and there is a unique verification number you get. (they will not flash it without this because gm wont give them the tune) i think this also prevents warranty approved re sale of a stage kit because even with the sensors gm wont give you the tune.

so if the tune you have is a duplicate or it doesnt match one they sold they would realize it was a fake.... i doublt they woudl ever realize though.
correct.

the service tech may not ever know it's not a stock tune, but when ever any warranty claim is submitted the diagnostic scanner is hooked up to your car and the tune ID code is given to GM;
if your code doesn't match what they have on file, you're up crap creek.

I don't work at a dealer, I'm not even a tech;
I just do my homework (hopefully I passed )

FYI: I'm bone stock, but I ordered (have but have not installed) a Stage 1 for my car... because I do not believe in such a think as "enough" power...
(and because I want to retain my warranty)
Old 06-09-2010, 09:56 PM

I picked up my 2010 SS two weeks ago. I plan on either keeping it stock or going with the GM S1 kit. The stage kit is even iffy... because I like the car how it is. I don't have a need to go faster.

Here's the break down on where I stand with mods and warranties. I'm not looking for any excuse to deny a warranty repair. However, in some cases I'm required to check the vehicle for certain things (IE Aftermarket tunes). What is done with that information isn't my decision.

Thankfully I doubt I'll be seeing any Cobalts for warranty repairs. This post would probably make me pretty unpopular around here...
you wouldn't happen to have a black one would you?
gm s1 would be good of course for warranty.
gonna pm you
Old 06-10-2010, 10:03 AM

I'm stock, so I would be glad to bring my car to you. I'd feel better knowing someone with some experience was working on the car. Just don't tell me you're at the Henna. I already took it there a while back for the oil leak and the rear brakes. They didn't want to fix either one. Went to Hewlett and they fixed the oil leak, but still not the rear brakes.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:18 AM

I'm stock, so I would be glad to bring my car to you. I'd feel better knowing someone with some experience was working on the car. Just don't tell me you're at the Henna. I already took it there a while back for the oil leak and the rear brakes. They didn't want to fix either one. Went to Hewlett and they fixed the oil leak, but still not the rear brakes.
capital just replaced my rear pads, that was their bs fix to my problem.
previously they resurfaced them and it obviously didn't fix it. that was when i had 500 miles on the car.
it was squeeking back then, but eventually they ended up grinding so they replaced the pads.
and my car is also stock, minus muffler delete which is no big deal.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Anytime your car is flashed by the dealer your vehicle "profile" is updated within their system. Basically, the system stores the OS and CRC code for your vehicle. The OS for the GM Stage tunes can only be loaded into your vehicle's profile if you have a code, the code which comes in the paperwork with the Stage Kit. There is no other way to get the Stage OS listed on your vehicle profile unless you have that code.

If you flash the vehicle with any modifications with, for example, HPTuners, then the OS will still be the same but the CRC code will be changed. If you take the car into GM for warrnaty work when they check the PCM and see the CRC is different they will know that you modified the program. If you flash the GM Stage 1 onto the vehicle that loads a different OS which will throw a big red flag if that OS is not listed as the OS that is supposed to be on the vehicle in the system.

If you run the car with 3bar MAP on a stock tune it will not only run like crap, but it will throw a bunch of DTCs as well.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LOL at the rabid wombat.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:46 AM

if i do ever get an aftermarket tune after my STG 1 could u not just get another ECM and tune onto that? then if u have issues swap ur stock GMS1 ECM before going to the dealer? or would that be noticeable as well?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Whitty
if i do ever get an aftermarket tune after my STG 1 could u not just get another ECM and tune onto that? then if u have issues swap ur stock GMS1 ECM before going to the dealer? or would that be noticeable as well?
There are quite a few people that swap PCMs.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by rnjmur
There are quite a few people that swap PCMs.
iirc this is why starting a couple years ago getting replacement ECM's became ALOT tougher ~ the manufacturers don't want you to have a second ECM - since they have no way of being able to tell if you swapped yours out...

I know a guy who sold his ECM - I don't think he has a clue how tough it might be to get another one when he gets his car running again...

@ Stamina;

I believe the tech2 can also tell how many times the tune has been reflashed - this would be on GM's database - so as I've understood, even if you save your OE tune, and reflash it to your ECM before bringing it in for service, they will see the correct OS ID, but they will be able to tell it's been reburnt...

how often that one is checked I do not know...

Last edited by soundjunky; 06-10-2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-10-2010, 12:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by soundjunky
@ Stamina;

I believe the tech2 can also tell how many times the tune has been reflashed - this would be on GM's database - so as I've understood, even if you save your OE tune, and reflash it to your ECM before bringing it in for service, they will see the correct OS ID, but they will be able to tell it's been reburnt...

how often that one is checked I do not know...
True, but a Write Entire resets the number (since the entire ECU is reflashed).

If, for instance, they are looking for a total flash number of 2 (once at the factory and once at the dealer during GMS1), then I suppose you could do a Write Entire and then do a Write Config once with no changes. That's getting into a grey area though.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stamina
True, but a Write Entire resets the number (since the entire ECU is reflashed).

If, for instance, they are looking for a total flash number of 2 (once at the factory and once at the dealer during GMS1), then I suppose you could do a Write Entire and then do a Write Config once with no changes. That's getting into a grey area though.
if that's so, then you taught me something new!
Old 06-10-2010, 01:40 PM

sounds good guys thanks, who sells ECM's just for ***** ?
Old 06-10-2010, 01:57 PM

You can find PCMs around if you hunt. I bought one off ebay for $125, brand new. The problem with getting a blank one is that it is hard to get it flashed. I have had mine for a month and still haven't found anyone who can/will flash my VIN and OS onto it for me. If possible, try and find one that was already in a car as it will be much easier to get it reprogrammed.

FYI, the 2008 - 2010 all use the same PCM.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:02 PM

perfect thanks for the info, can anyone with HPT just read and flash it for you ? i suppose that eats up a credit. or could vince just read and flash when i get tuned? or would just that process screw with the stock counter on my factory PCM?

Quick Reply: Swapping LNF PCM Back after Stage 1