2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Trifecta and Emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trifecta and Emissions?

I'm currently looking at a 2010 LNF with about 55 miles and it comes with a ZZP catted downpipe + Trifecta switchable tune. Unfortunately I live in Onterrible, Canada and we have mandatory OBD emissions testing before a car can be transferred.

As it stands, the car is reporting not ready for the O2 sensor monitor.

The owner can provide me with the stock tune and Trifecta cable, as well as the stock downpipe. My plan is to revert to stock temporarily and then reload the trifecta tune afterward. Can anybody confirm that this is possible as I've never worked with Trifecta before. I know Trifecta is pretty much dead now and I don't want to dick around with HPT.

To make matters even more complicated, the car is allowed only 20 days on the road before an etest must be done.

Has anybody had trouble getting their cars to pass emissions or their OBD monitors ready?

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
yes u can flash back to stock with trifecta cable, ull just have to download the software from their site. id just get an hptune after. much better.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Just put the stock downpipe back on and drive the car a bit. I have a cat delete pipe that showed the cats as not ready in my last inspection. That was solved after I put the cats back on.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the responses. Tomj77 I appreciate your replies to all my threads, hopefully this LNF will pan out for me

I read that Vince of Trifecta keeps the stock tune for every car on file. Suppose the original owner lost the file, will I be able to get it from Vince directly myself?

I readt that Vince may be a deadbeat now. Is this true?
Old 02-04-2015, 09:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I had no issues passing OBD emissions with basically the same setup, but Idk how it it in Canada. Here, pretty much as long as you don't have a check engine code popping up for emissions you will pass.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by LTBALTBMX
Thanks for the responses. Tomj77 I appreciate your replies to all my threads, hopefully this LNF will pan out for me

I read that Vince of Trifecta keeps the stock tune for every car on file. Suppose the original owner lost the file, will I be able to get it from Vince directly myself?

I readt that Vince may be a deadbeat now. Is this true?
The stock tune can be easily loaded with the Trifecta cable, it's saved in the programing so that wouldn't be a problem. But unless you have the Trifecta tune saved somewhere to reload you're pretty much screwed. Neither Vince nor Trifecta responds to emails anymore.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was wondering about that.... not to hijack but what happens when you buy a trifecta tune? Does Vince still do the,m?
Old 02-04-2015, 10:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Vince and 2 other guys still tune. Here we can have catless, All they do here is obdii check.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by footballplaya3k
The stock tune can be easily loaded with the Trifecta cable, it's saved in the programing so that wouldn't be a problem. But unless you have the Trifecta tune saved somewhere to reload you're pretty much screwed. Neither Vince nor Trifecta responds to emails anymore.
I suspect its similar in Onterrible, all ready + no codes = good to go.

When you say its saved in programming, do you mean on the ECU itself? I guess I would run EZFlash with the red OBD cable on my laptop and let it work its magic to restore to stock?
Old 02-04-2015, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
ya the stock fine should be built into ur tune u have now. if u have that file just load it and choose flash stock file. and ya trifecta just takes forever to tune u, and I just wont comment on the tuning abilities of some of their tuners.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by LTBALTBMX

I suspect its similar in Onterrible, all ready + no codes = good to go.

When you say its saved in programming, do you mean on the ECU itself? I guess I would run EZFlash with the red OBD cable on my laptop and let it work its magic to restore to stock?
The EZFlash programing should have the stock tune. It's an option when you connect your car to it. I would try to pass emissions how it is first.

Originally Posted by jk0078888
I was wondering about that.... not to hijack but what happens when you buy a trifecta tune? Does Vince still do the,m?
Vince has them yes, but he is no longer contactable.

Last edited by footballplaya3k; 02-04-2015 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-05-2015, 11:31 AM

You really believe it's Trifecta causing the not ready state for the cat? It's not, but go ahead and find out the hard way. Think about this. If it was the tuning causing this problem, why wouldn't it go away if you just keep it in stock mode via the CC or ESC buttons? Just because there's no CEL doesn't mean it's going to pass inspection.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So wait it has 55 miles? or 55,000miles? Why aren't you using kilometers it's far more accurate and proper.

Maybe it's your 02 sensor?

Are you getting any codes/lights currently?

Why didn't the previous owner give you the cable with the car...

Next time make HIM get the e-test before buying it. I was unaware of this law and thought it just went by the cars year. That sucks.

Is it a 200cell or 400cell zzp catted dp? Did you get the angled bung?

I've got no codes/lights, trifecta select-a-tune, 400cell zpp dp, no angled bung. I plan to just e-test it and see how it does. Worst case another $40 to re-test. but I think I'm good until 2016 or 2017.

The last time I did an e-test was on my supercharged gm tune 2.2 ecotec sunfire. They just put a sniffer on the exhaust and held it at xxxx RPM for a bit. If there were no illuminated lights and all the parameters were within acceptable range it was a pass.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Solaris99
Just because there's no CEL doesn't mean it's going to pass inspection.
That's how it works here.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by footballplaya3k
That's how it works here.
Must be different in Canada. Here, in North Carolina, an OBD check means they look for things like the cat readiness.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:58 PM

I live in Vancouver, America so Idk how Canada works either. I just know I pass fine with no cat.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All sensors on the car get a ready state after driving around for about a week. That's why sometimes when you reset a ecu a cell will disappear for a while, but come back on in a week or 2.

If a sensor is disabled it will never reach it's ready state and you will fail your emissions in Ontario. You can maybe reactivate that sensor yourself in the software, or ask Vince for a simple update. If you get a cell get a 02 defouler.

Even the most basic odb2 readers can check if your car is in the ready state or not. Don't go test unless it is ready or you will fail.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:12 AM

The Trifecta tune doesn't disable the rear O2 sensor. Maybe it was a custom thing that Vince did for that particular car, but the normal Trifecta tune leaves the sensor on. I know this because Vince told me they don't mess with the sensor when I had my issue. He told me it was my catless downpipe causing the readiness problem and he was right. I've never gotten a CEL because of that downpipe, by the way.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:04 PM

Have people been able to pass emissions with the ZZP catted DP and a O2S defouler attachment?

Originally Posted by bland1
All sensors on the car get a ready state after driving around for about a week. That's why sometimes when you reset a ecu a cell will disappear for a while, but come back on in a week or 2.

If a sensor is disabled it will never reach it's ready state and you will fail your emissions in Ontario. You can maybe reactivate that sensor yourself in the software, or ask Vince for a simple update. If you get a cell get a 02 defouler.

Even the most basic odb2 readers can check if your car is in the ready state or not. Don't go test unless it is ready or you will fail.
I am tempted to deactivate the O2S OBD monitor. Technically it will pass as all the monitors are ready but it would be a dead giveaway the car has been messed with.

Originally Posted by Solaris99
The Trifecta tune doesn't disable the rear O2 sensor. Maybe it was a custom thing that Vince did for that particular car, but the normal Trifecta tune leaves the sensor on. I know this because Vince told me they don't mess with the sensor when I had my issue. He told me it was my catless downpipe causing the readiness problem and he was right. I've never gotten a CEL because of that downpipe, by the way.
Theres an option in EZ-Flash where you can deactivate DTC and OBD readiness monitors on your own risk.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:14 PM

If it fails its like $40 to retest. Are you afraid they'll call the Ministry of transportation and slap you with a fine? I don't think that would happen, if by miracle it happened play dumb and blame previous owner.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Shanedude
If it fails its like $40 to retest. Are you afraid they'll call the Ministry of transportation and slap you with a fine? I don't think that would happen, if by miracle it happened play dumb and blame previous owner.
Not too concerned with the costs at this point but I have only 20 days on a temporary permit to get the OBD monitors ready. I know they can be real finicky and often without reason.

Last resort would be to kill the O2S monitor and hope for the best, though I don't expect much from this option.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:27 PM

I think you're over thinking it. Delete the code and e-test the sucker. You've got a 200 or 400cell cat on it right?
Old 02-06-2015, 03:29 PM

This might work. Form the drive clean site itself.

‘Readiness’ conditional pass

A vehicle receives a ‘readiness’ conditional pass (deemed still not ready) when it:

receives 2 ‘not ready’ results and
no emissions problems have been identified

You get a readiness conditional ‘pass’ to allow you to renew your licence plate sticker.

To qualify:

at least 24 hours has to pass between each test
your vehicle must have been driven – at least 30 kms between the tests
the battery hasn’t been disconnected in the last 30 km of driving
the on-board diagnostic codes haven’t been cleared (in the last 30 km of driving)
the number of “not ready” monitors has not increased
Old 02-06-2015, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by bland1
This might work. Form the drive clean site itself.

‘Readiness’ conditional pass

A vehicle receives a ‘readiness’ conditional pass (deemed still not ready) when it:

receives 2 ‘not ready’ results and
no emissions problems have been identified

You get a readiness conditional ‘pass’ to allow you to renew your licence plate sticker.

To qualify:

at least 24 hours has to pass between each test
your vehicle must have been driven – at least 30 kms between the tests
the battery hasn’t been disconnected in the last 30 km of driving
the on-board diagnostic codes haven’t been cleared (in the last 30 km of driving)
the number of “not ready” monitors has not increased
Conditional passes are not applicable to ownership transfers unfortunately.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:54 PM

That's a shitty deal. you did your homework. lol

Quick Reply: Trifecta and Emissions?