2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

In what order should I do these upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In what order should I do these upgrades?

I have a 09 ss/tc with 8k miles on it. Currently the mods I have done are primarily all audio, except the muffler delete i did about a month ago. I have been looking into getting the ZZP charge piping,
http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...1131&catid=178
the ZZP downpipe,
(I'm not sure which options I need to select? I'm just guessing but the DP off-roading with o2 bung doesn't have a cat but has a o2 gap so no CEL is thrown?)
http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...1016&catid=155

and finally the Trifecta tune.

I've heard that its best to have everything installed and then go and get the tune, but I only have enough money for now to upgrade one thing. If I were to buy the tune, and eventually get the downpipe, is it free to update my tune on my car with the DP or do I have to pay for the full retune? What is better to get the GT Tuner or the EZ flash cable?

With the following all in place, airbox mod, downpipe, hot charge piping, and a trifecta tune, what would you estimate the power to be around? Is this the best route for bang for buck performance upgrades?
Old 02-16-2010, 03:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the ZZP catted DP (spun metal cat) Outstanding quality and quick service. It's a great mod. Regardless of catted or catless the DP should come with the O2 bung for the secondary O2. The optional O2 bung is for a wideband if you plan on putting one on. Otherwise just select your DP and you're good to go.

Depending on if you plan to tune (I imagine you want to) and what tune... you can do that first or last. If you're going to get custom tuned I'd just put the bolt ons first. If you do bolt-ons first it doesn't really matter what order you put them on cause the learndown will negate the gains. It might spool quicker though.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If you're planning on gradually upgrading you parts spread out over some time, (which is what I had to do as well) I would HIGHLY recommend dishing out the extra money to purchace the EZ flash cable. Reason being is if you have the cable and then a month down the line you maybe upgrade to a CAI and some charge pipes, now all you have to do is datalog on your laptop with the new parts installed, email Vince the new logs, and he will email you back the new tune file at no charge. With the GT tuner he will have to ship the tuner back and forth every time you need to update you tune, and that will obviously now cost you money, then on top of that you will have to wait for however long it takes for it to get shipped to you instead of instantly through email.

As far as the downpipe, I have the ZZP catless and I love it. I personally would recommend having the second O2 bung welded in just in case you ever decide to install a wideband somewhere down the line. It's way cheaper and easier top just have them do it now rather than later. For now just purchase one of thier O2 bung caps to seal off the hole.

That's just my oppinion on the matter. Do whatever you feel will work best for you my friend
Old 02-16-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the great advice from the two of you. I think I'm going to order the trifecta tune within this month, most likely with the data cable too. On that cable, how much extra is it compared to just getting the GT Tuner mailed to you? Does it just plug into usb? A

Again thanks for explaining the options from ZZP, 09CobaltSS1. I had no clue what I should get with the o2 options. On the o2 wideband, what is the purpose of having another o2 sensor in the exhaust? 1 before turbo, one after?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Stephenishere
Thanks for the great advice from the two of you. I think I'm going to order the trifecta tune within this month, most likely with the data cable too. On that cable, how much extra is it compared to just getting the GT Tuner mailed to you? Does it just plug into usb? A

Again thanks for explaining the options from ZZP, 09CobaltSS1. I had no clue what I should get with the o2 options. On the o2 wideband, what is the purpose of having another o2 sensor in the exhaust? 1 before turbo, one after?
In the stock exhaust system you already have 2 O2 sensors, 1 directly after the turbo, and 1 between the 2 cats in the downpipe. The extra O2 bung option when you're ordering a downpipe adds yet another O2 bung for a wideband O2 sensor to screw into on the DP. Like I said, even if you don't plan on getting a wideband at the moment, I would still recommend ordering the DP with the extra O2 bung welded in, and then just buy the bung cap for $5 that just screws into the bung hole (yes I just said bung hole.. lol) until you finally decide to install a wideband.

Just so we're on the same page here, a wideband is used to measure Air/Fuel ratios via a wideband O2 sensor placed far up in the exhaust system, in this case it mounts in the DP. Hense the extra O2 bung option I hope this helped..
Old 02-16-2010, 09:31 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you plan on doing a tune, I would wait and get every part you want first, then order the tune to account for everything (you need a tune if you want a cai or bov) and then install everything at the same time. It may be a longer wait, but at least everything will run smoothly. If you really want to put something on right away, I would say get the downpipe, since you don't need to tune for it, then get the charge piping, then tune later. If you plan on getting a cai or bov though, get those first then tune so you only need to tune once.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

^^ Or you could just buy the EZflash cable and get free tune updates as you add parts. That is unless you just happen to have $1500+ just laying around to devote to car parts such as charge pipe, DP, exhaust, CAI, intercooler, ect ect to purchace everything all at once. I would think it makes more sense to just purchace the cable and then tune the new parts in as you go along. Again, it is free to update your tune file as long as you have the cable. Very useful, and in the long run, a cost effective tool to have.

But do whatever fits your needs and wants. Only you know what that is. I can only make first hand experience recommendations