2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

????

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
????

hey guys i wanna know if i were to change my pistons n rods on my car, would i have to do any type of tuning to my car
Old 10-27-2008, 08:17 PM

If you were going with stock size pistons i don't see why you would need a tune for that unless you change injectors,intake mani, and pulley
Old 10-27-2008, 08:23 PM

i ready have a stage 2 but i been running nitrous on my car lot n i just wanted to start building the motor but i wanted to know if i need tuning or will the car drive the same with out a problem with the stage two n the pistons n rods
Old 10-27-2008, 08:24 PM

Depends on the piston being used. What piston were you thinking of?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:26 PM

Pistons and rods will only hold up better no tuning needed
Old 10-27-2008, 08:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedss26
your assuming he's going with stock 9.5:1 compression

what compression ratio are you going with with the new pistons? if its higher than stock, you DEFINITELY need a tune, and if its lower than stock (you probably want to go in this direction), then a tune would be ideal, but not needed
Old 10-27-2008, 08:55 PM

i wanna upgrade to better ones but with stock compression
Old 10-27-2008, 09:02 PM

then no, you will not need a retune
Old 10-28-2008, 10:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Changing pistons would not require a tune anymore then running a bigger or smaller pulley. As with any mod though, you will get more benefit if you tune.

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
your assuming he's going with stock 9.5:1 compression

what compression ratio are you going with with the new pistons? if its higher than stock, you DEFINITELY need a tune, and if its lower than stock (you probably want to go in this direction), then a tune would be ideal, but not needed
If you were to go with higher compression pistons you could definately run into detonation problems and a tune would be a good idea. Typically you don't want to run higher compression unless you are staying with a bigger pulley.

Last edited by rnjmur; 10-28-2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-28-2008, 05:59 PM

I don't think higher compression is nessesarily a bad idea. Let's say I want to get the max out of my M62 and then run nitrous for the track. I want to run water/meth, and after 20-something degrees or timing advance, more timing doesn't yield alot more power does it? So why not throw in some 10.5:1 or even 11:1 cr pistons? Sounds like an idea to me...
Old 10-28-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by rnjmur
Changing pistons would not require a tune anymore then running a bigger or smaller pulley. As with any mod though, you will get more benefit if you tune.

If you were to go with higher compression pistons you could definately run into detonation problems and a tune would be a good idea. Typically you don't want to run higher compression unless you are staying with a bigger pulley.
im sorry....what?

and im well aware of the relation of boost pressure to CR, thank you

Originally Posted by MidnightNB
I don't think higher compression is nessesarily a bad idea. Let's say I want to get the max out of my M62 and then run nitrous for the track. I want to run water/meth, and after 20-something degrees or timing advance, more timing doesn't yield alot more power does it? So why not throw in some 10.5:1 or even 11:1 cr pistons? Sounds like an idea to me...
thats kind of high. I would throw in some 10:1 CR pistons if yur trying to go that route...and you better be running meth. If you have 11:1 pistons with the stock supercharger then you better be running 100 octane fuel to go with your meth, unless you have a large pulley
Old 10-28-2008, 10:55 PM

on the opposite end of things.. what if the compression was droped to lets say 9:1 or even 8.5:1 would this be worth it if a 2.5 pully was added? lower the compression but raise the boost... would this be safe or even worth it?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jrhdpaintball
on the opposite end of things.. what if the compression was droped to lets say 9:1 or even 8.5:1 would this be worth it if a 2.5 pully was added? lower the compression but raise the boost... would this be safe or even worth it?
you can do this...what you are saying would be the normal procedure for our cars, but the M62 is way out of its efficiency range with a 2.5" pulley, so you will likely yield less HP going this route. Basically, while the CR you are saying can take the added airflow much better than stock, there will still be way too much heat in the intake charge, which will lead to detonation.

Area likes to point out that with our blowers, its easier to make power by adding ignition timing rather than adding more psi
Old 10-29-2008, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by usdm08
hey guys i wanna know if i were to change my pistons n rods on my car, would i have to do any type of tuning to my car
No...unless you raise or lower the compression ratio.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:49 AM

you can do this...what you are saying would be the normal procedure for our cars, but the M62 is way out of its efficiency range with a 2.5" pulley, so you will likely yield less HP going this route. Basically, while the CR you are saying can take the added airflow much better than stock, there will still be way too much heat in the intake charge, which will lead to detonation.

Area likes to point out that with our blowers, its easier to make power by adding ignition timing rather than adding more psi
i see your points and agree...but what if you had extensive cooling mods: 2nd h/e, stu mod, meth, and SINGLE pass intake mani

just trying to learn some new things
Old 10-29-2008, 07:57 AM

^^ while those all combat the heat, they dont stop it. say a stock setup removes 30% of the heat, and the above setup removes 70% of the heat... there will still be added heat to the system, and the faster the blower spins, the more heat is made, at an exponential rate

Lets just say most of the people who blew their stock motors on the m62 had 2.5" pulleys
Old 10-29-2008, 08:02 AM

If you were going with stock size pistons i don't see why you would need a tune for that unless you change injectors,intake mani, and pulley
^^ these two posts combined are your answer.

You only need to tune if you change the physics/chemistry of the engine.

Example:

Anything that drops temperatures like meth or a heat exchanger. If you change piston size/compression, it changes the chemistry of the Air to Fuel (AFR).
Old 10-29-2008, 08:33 AM

^^ while those all combat the heat, they dont stop it. say a stock setup removes 30% of the heat, and the above setup removes 70% of the heat... there will still be added heat to the system, and the faster the blower spins, the more heat is made, at an exponential rate

Lets just say most of the people who blew their stock motors on the m62 had 2.5" pulleys
great thanks.. so the only real benefit from lowering the compression would be if i was putting maybe a harrop on? something that can make more power and not overspin the charger
Old 10-29-2008, 10:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
im sorry....what?

and im well aware of the relation of boost pressure to CR, thank you
Look jackass, I was directing that at the OP.

I was also pretty much agreeing with what you said just throwing a bit of explaination in there for the OP who obviously DOESN'T know.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by rnjmur
Look jackass, I was directing that at the OP.

I was also pretty much agreeing with what you said just throwing a bit of explaination in there for the OP who obviously DOESN'T know.
haha relax dude. you quoted my post before saying that...which made me believe you were responding to the post you quoted. no need to call me a jackass

Originally Posted by Jrhdpaintball
great thanks.. so the only real benefit from lowering the compression would be if i was putting maybe a harrop on? something that can make more power and not overspin the charger
this is correct. I PERSONALLY would not reccomend a lower CR unless going with the TVS, or a turbo swap
Old 10-29-2008, 09:19 PM

thanks man... sounds like if i were to lower the compression... it would be a fortune...by the time i got pistons, rings, connecting rods, and port the head... i would have to then by a harrop and get it tuned... this thing would have so much money dumped into it... but man would it be worth it in the end