2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

About top speed on cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About top speed on cobalt

Some random info for you guys. Well tonight car was running good so for kicks i decided to do another top speed run but this time at a different place than I usually make them at. This new place had more level ground and I noticed that the cobalt ss/sc does have a fuel cut limiter somewhere not too far past 160MPH. I had hit 160 on the speedo for 3-4 seconds and was a hair past 6000 rpms and then car hit a definate fuel cut. Since I'm the only one on here thats ever said they've hit 160+ in this car theres no one to back up my claims and adding a passenger to the car to video tape would hinder me to much to hit 160 in a decent amount of time. I'll figure some way to get a vid of it one day to show you guys.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:05 AM

Shift into 6th! lol
Old 03-21-2006, 01:34 AM

Ok Im not going to say its not posable. Im not going to flame. But I want some proof of this claim. The main reson being that GM said they did not put a speed limiter on the car.

Later
Old 03-21-2006, 01:57 AM

^^^ I'm with him. What mods do you have, because i read that the car was drag limited at 146... I'd think you at least need a pulley, I/H/E to add 14 mph...and it to be lowered.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:57 AM

wow 160! if its true (and i realy hope it is) then u have some ***** doign that on the road man
Old 03-21-2006, 03:27 AM
Banned

160 my ass its a 4 cyl and carand driver said drag limited at 154 ive done 147 my self and that was about it. come on the gto is governed at 158 gm would not let there 4 cly be faster then there 8s
Old 03-21-2006, 03:40 AM

Get a portable GPS with a Top Speed Indicator.

It will be easier to prove as you do not need hands and you won’t have to take your hands off the wheel.

That is very high on the Tachometer for any throttle loading. Shifting in spikes to the redline is normal, but sustained high RPM driving under full load will cause the cranks minor defects to deform. (Crank Walk) the crank can erodes the main bearings in one place and then crank goes slightly off center under loading. This places higher stress on the rods as they are now not aligned with the crank. Another thing to think about is tensile loading of the rods. Metal is strong but stress over and over will build up and create weakness. Force is exponential with RPM. Double the engine speed, you get much more than double the loading on the internals. Metal fatigue is cumulative and you have a new car. It's like making a bunch of $10.00 payments from a $100.00 account. One day you'll be broke and there is no overdraft on your car.

Not trying to rain on your parade but speed limiters are there for your safety and to keep people from busting the engine so GM does not have to do too many warranty claims and look like they build shitty cars (They Don't).

I'm just happy that you aren't doing that to my car..

I’m sure I’m not telling you anything you haven’t thought of before. Most cars have a breaking point, this is a very new car and the SS owners are just starting to push the **** out of the car as far as modifications and speed. We have already seen than the clutch is weak, we will soon find the limits of a “Top Ten Engine”

Enjoy..
Old 03-21-2006, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Brian MP5T
Get a portable GPS with a Top Speed Indicator.

It will be easier to prove as you do not need hands and you won’t have to take your hands off the wheel.

That is very high on the Tachometer for any throttle loading. Shifting in spikes to the redline is normal, but sustained high RPM driving under full load will cause the cranks minor defects to deform. (Crank Walk) the crank can erodes the main bearings in one place and then crank goes slightly off center under loading. This places higher stress on the rods as they are now not aligned with the crank. Another thing to think about is tensile loading of the rods. Metal is strong but stress over and over will build up and create weakness. Force is exponential with RPM. Double the engine speed, you get much more than double the loading on the internals. Metal fatigue is cumulative and you have a new car. It's like making a bunch of $10.00 payments from a $100.00 account. One day you'll be broke and there is no overdraft on your car.

Not trying to rain on your parade but speed limiters are there for your safety and to keep people from busting the engine so GM does not have to do too many warranty claims and look like they build shitty cars (They Don't).

I'm just happy that you aren't doing that to my car..

I’m sure I’m not telling you anything you haven’t thought of before. Most cars have a breaking point, this is a very new car and the SS owners are just starting to push the **** out of the car as far as modifications and speed. We have already seen than the clutch is weak, we will soon find the limits of a “Top Ten Engine”

Enjoy..
I here yeah loud and clear. I'm more worried about my tires going first. The ones i have on right now aren't rated for that speed let alone for that speed x time it took me to pull that 160mph twice to confirm the fuel cut. I've had a blow out beofre just doing 100mph in a car let alone trying to have one doing 160. I'll tell you right now I'll be damned if I take one hand off the wheel at that speed too again to line up and take a picture if I don't have to. I moved the wheel slightly at 150 at one point to get my arm comfortable and how stable/unstable the car was at that speed became very aparent to me very quickly. Very Fine line at that point. Maybe cause it was so cold out last night the ground was less forgiving but what ever. I've decided that I'm gonna take my friends camera phone and try and record the 150-160 pull into the rpm fuel cut tonight everything permitting. It can record for 30 sec's i believe which should be enough even though that last 5mph feels like an eternity. Maybe its all in my head though.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:51 AM

And I don't care really who doesn't belive this claim its not really that important in the big picture sense of things but please by all means muster up the curage to go try somthing like that yourself in your cobalt. I've got better things to do than put my life at risk and chance losing my car and license to come post lies on the Internet.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by stotte20
160 my ass its a 4 cyl and carand driver said drag limited at 154 ive done 147 my self and that was about it. come on the gto is governed at 158 gm would not let there 4 cly be faster then there 8s
drag limited means more HP higher you can go right? Well I have more power than a stock cobalt so car and drivers claims don't apply to me or anyone else who ain't stock. And please don't ask me my mods. I stoped posting up that **** a long time ago. Plus there not really that much out for the car anyone with an imagination couldn't figure out what i have or don't have.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by 05BlackCobaltSS
^^^ I'm with him. What mods do you have, because i read that the car was drag limited at 146... I'd think you at least need a pulley, I/H/E to add 14 mph...and it to be lowered.
not really in a sense Thats ricer math. You would need maybe like one mod like an exhaust and a **** load of road and time to hit a new better top speed. I would think The amount of road available and how up, down , or level it is would affect your outcome sooner than an intake. But thats Just IMO
Old 03-21-2006, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Badmunky
Ok Im not going to say its not posable. Im not going to flame. But I want some proof of this claim. The main reson being that GM said they did not put a speed limiter on the car.

Later
funny thing is when I had a car that could only get up to 107 I complained. Now I have this car and just realized that theres a fuel cut some where at 161+ and for some reason I have no complaints. I can't ever see me or any other person unless on the autoban needing more than that. If Gm did sneak a fuel cut inthere there god bless them. It'll keep fools like me from killing themselves.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darksun280
I've got better things to do than put my life at risk and chance losing my car and license to come post lies on the Internet.

you just did it twice.

150's not really that fast. I took my brother's R1 over 140 in second gear with the front tire off the ground most of the way there and still had 4 more gears to go. this is more plausible becuase people know they're actually that fast, but you can't add 25hp to get an additional 20mph top end on an already 140mph car
Old 03-21-2006, 07:20 AM

Some random info for you guys. Well tonight car was running good so for kicks i decided to do another top speed run but this time at a different place than I usually make them at. This new place had more level ground and I noticed that the cobalt ss/sc does have a fuel cut limiter somewhere not too far past 160MPH. I had hit 160 on the speedo for 3-4 seconds and was a hair past 6000 rpms and then car hit a definate fuel cut. Since I'm the only one on here thats ever said they've hit 160+ in this car theres no one to back up my claims and adding a passenger to the car to video tape would hinder me to much to hit 160 in a decent amount of time. I'll figure some way to get a vid of it one day to show you guys.
Dude did you have 4 people in your car and return it too stock??? LOL j/p where is that kid anyway. I've been sustained at 5900 in 5th when I just had a K&N and the tach just sat there. Interesting there is a limiter...do you have a wideband or a logger? I know once you hit IAT2's of 180+ the car dumps fuel to cool the motor. I know on a 3rd gear run to redline in 32 degree weather I was around 120+. Holding it for that long may have got you above the 180 thresh hlod and had your car go into cool down mod. If you can if/when u make another run see if you can watch or log you iat2's. Keep both hands and both eyes on the road though. We dont need nothing happening to ya.

Dan
Old 03-21-2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
you just did it twice.

150's not really that fast. I took my brother's R1 over 140 in second gear with the front tire off the ground most of the way there and still had 4 more gears to go. this is more plausible becuase people know they're actually that fast, but you can't add 25hp to get an additional 20mph top end on an already 140mph car
Don't know if your taking a jab at me or not but by all means get some mods on your cobalt start in 5th gear at 40mph like I did and try toping out the car. it'll peg the speedo. Not quick as lighting but it will do it. ITs not that hard people! Not like I'm saying my car runs 11's. Half the people who don't believe haven't even had there stock cobalt over 135mph. Since I'm alittle bit T'ed off Im gonna put my boy inthe car to record the whole damn thing. He weighs 170 pounds I weight in at 240. It'll slow me down but it can't stop me. ONce I hit 160 with a passenger Then you'll have to believe that I can hit it with just myself in the car.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by djt81185
Dude did you have 4 people in your car and return it too stock??? LOL j/p where is that kid anyway. I've been sustained at 5900 in 5th when I just had a K&N and the tach just sat there. Interesting there is a limiter...do you have a wideband or a logger? I know once you hit IAT2's of 180+ the car dumps fuel to cool the motor. I know on a 3rd gear run to redline in 32 degree weather I was around 120+. Holding it for that long may have got you above the 180 thresh hlod and had your car go into cool down mod. If you can if/when u make another run see if you can watch or log you iat2's. Keep both hands and both eyes on the road though. We dont need nothing happening to ya.

Dan
It felt just like bouncing off the limiter in any other gear. And since when I got my car dynoed it showed my air fuel at 13.4-6 at redline you can see that at around 5200 rpms and up my injectors where maxed out. So even if the computer wanted to dump in fuel to cool things off during one of my high speed runs it wouldn't be able to. Theres just no more fuel to give.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:51 AM

I've Only Hit 135 Mph But I Was In Forth Gear And I Never Put It In To Fifth. So How Can You Do 160 Mph.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:33 AM

It felt just like bouncing off the limiter in any other gear. And since when I got my car dynoed it showed my air fuel at 13.4-6 at redline you can see that at around 5200 rpms and up my injectors where maxed out. So even if the computer wanted to dump in fuel to cool things off during one of my high speed runs it wouldn't be able to. Theres just no more fuel to give.
maybe it saw that it wasnt cooling down and started cutting spark to make the car cool down. I'm just saying if you could log you iat2 when u run it would let us know or maybe give us some insight. Also IPW and ignition advance would shed some light.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:51 AM

I def agree with the SS hittin 160mph. Minez done 161mph on the 407..( Ont ) good ****
Old 03-21-2006, 11:53 AM

hey man, i just put the corsa cat back on. You would love it. practically zero interior distortion until you mash it. it sounds deep no rice
Old 03-21-2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by OUTPR4MZ
I def agree with the SS hittin 160mph. Minez done 161mph on the 407..( Ont ) good ****
what other mods do you have

Edit: and welcome to the site ..nice to see another Southern Ontario SS/SC
Old 03-21-2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by BigJavi52
I've Only Hit 135 Mph But I Was In Forth Gear And I Never Put It In To Fifth. So How Can You Do 160 Mph.
and you make sense how? you did 135 in 4th never touched or used 5th gear so that means no one else can go higher than that in a cobalt?!?! sorry but you sound real dumb right now. 100 dollar bet too your stock too. Keep quite and watch the thread I'll post vids and you'll feel dumb.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:50 PM

This thread has become like all the rest...

Close It..
Old 03-21-2006, 12:52 PM

I don't see why everytime someone claims they did something a bit unusual almost everyone starts yelling at them and calling them liars, honestly who would randomly go on a board and start some random bullshit thread??? I believe him, it's not like he said he went 500mph, though I am curious whether or not there is an actual cut off or if the engine is trying to cool down...
Old 03-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Banned

I've went 145 and then stopped. it would definitly kept on going.

Quick Reply: About top speed on cobalt