2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Almost there!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:24 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Almost there!

Well today I just received my stage 2 kit from SScarTuning and I am pretty hyped about it. I would post some pics but who has not seen a stage 2 kit really. I have some concerns with the kit and would love to here some advice from others.

Well the kit is VERY EASY to install and all the dealers around my area want $300 plus to install it. I just can't bring my self to let them do it for that or any amount since I am capable of doing it myself. I am worried if I install it and have to take the car for warranty work they will try and relate back to the kit if it is engine related. So my thoughts are if I do a flawless install how and can they void my warranty. The kit itself will not void the warranty but if installed incorrectly it can. If I am mistaken please chime it. In order to void the power train warranty they would have to find a problem with my install correct? If there is no problem with my install they can not void any type of warranty correct? Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well.. if you do a flawless install then there should be no reason to think it will cause warranty related issues. however if issues arrise GM will prolly blame you somehow for installing it yourself saying you did somthing wrong, but it depends on your dealer i guess. i wouldnt chance it unless you got enough connections/knowledge to get you out of trouble if you happen to **** somthing up.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:58 PM
RBC

Originally Posted by tkaugh29
well.. if you do a flawless install then there should be no reason to think it will cause warranty related issues. however if issues arrise GM will prolly blame you somehow for installing it yourself saying you did somthing wrong, but it depends on your dealer i guess. i wouldnt chance it unless you got enough connections/knowledge to get you out of trouble if you happen to **** somthing up.
I don't think I will have a problem with my install, but **** happens. If a head gasket blow for some reason I don't want the finger pointed at me. I have dealt with a dealer trying to void my warranty on a stock vehicle. Some are just like that and I know not all are. I am just wondering if there is no flaw in my install if they can legally void my warranty.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by RBC
I don't think I will have a problem with my install, but **** happens. If a head gasket blow for some reason I don't want the finger pointed at me. I have dealt with a dealer trying to void my warranty on a stock vehicle. Some are just like that and I know not all are. I am just wondering if there is no flaw in my install if they can legally void my warranty.
Yes they can legally void it. I believe somewhere on one of their sites it even says that if you are a "do-it-yourselfer" that the parts will remain under warranty but that's it. I will check to make sure.

Here's my opinion; if you were going to install it yourself then you should have maybe just gone with a kit that you pieced together yourself, or gotten a stage kit from another company because you would have gotten more value that way if you are not concerned with warranty. If you are concerned with it just get it installed even though it's painful.

Trust me, it bugs me to get it installed elsewhere as well. I'm a technician for Mercedes and have access to a press and lifts of course yet i'm still going to get it installed at a dealership just to be safe. I also bought my kit from sscartuning for the promotional price.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:38 AM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
when a car gets a stage two bought and installed at a gm dealership. it gets flagged as having such modifications.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:40 AM

lets say you install the kit, will it be safe to drive the car to the dealership without it tuned? Would there be detonation?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:42 AM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SS07
lets say you install the kit, will it be safe to drive the car to the dealership without it tuned? Would there be detonation?

if you do not hit boost you will be fine.
reset the ecm before to drive it.
let it fully warm up before you do drive it, and be very easy on it
Old 05-30-2007, 01:15 AM
RBC

There is also this.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/your-rights-about-your-car-warranty-aftermarket-mods-7439/

GM has said if installed properly the kit will not void you warranty. A local dealer is so posed to call me back tomorrow and I think I will ask him if I do the install if they will inspect the install and maybe see if they will put something in writing saying it is installed right when I go get the re tune. What is the cheapest anyone has had the stage 2 kit installed for?
Old 05-30-2007, 01:22 PM

I believe it was $150 for my installation at a GM dealer, but the F***ed it up bigtime and had to replace a bunch of parts for free
Old 05-30-2007, 09:21 PM
RBC

One place that I talked to the mechanic he said it would take him an hour tops but the dam service manager said the book quotes four hours and that is what they will have to charge me. Thats bull **** if you ask me. I talked to the same guy that said it would take an hour, and told him I would do the install and pay the dealer $150 for the flash and to inspect the install and say they did it. The mechanic said hell yea I do it, less work for me. The service manager once again said no. He said thats the price, no matter where you go that will continue to be the price. Anyone who said they paid less is full of ****. I told him that you must rip people off all the time, called him a jackass and left.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by RBC
One place that I talked to the mechanic he said it would take him an hour tops but the dam service manager said the book quotes four hours and that is what they will have to charge me. Thats bull **** if you ask me. I talked to the same guy that said it would take an hour, and told him I would do the install and pay the dealer $150 for the flash and to inspect the install and say they did it. The mechanic said hell yea I do it, less work for me. The service manager once again said no. He said thats the price, no matter where you go that will continue to be the price. Anyone who said they paid less is full of ****. I told him that you must rip people off all the time, called him a jackass and left.
I got quoted $200 today by a dealership near my house. The tech said he's already done two installs this month.