2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Anyone try this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone try this?

I wasn't liking my Fujita intake, so I decided that I was going to take the Cobalt Addiction one and modify it slightly with a really stupid concept. It seemed like I kept getting moisture into my Fujita, so to resolve this, I decide to do a variation of a filter box mod. I basically used the original filter box, removed the stock filter, threw in a performance filter, took longer screws, to compensate for the gap, and essentially hooked up the cobalt addiction intake to the box. So now, I have about a 1 inch gap on the bottom of the filter box, allowing more air flow, while protecting the majority of the cone. But this wasn't enough for me... I also and welded a vortex style shape into the intake. This of course will spin the air and supposedly create a tornado style action through the intake, increasing the speed, while I assume cooling the air slightly.

Now with my Fujita I could only really hear my supercharger whirl with a window open or the sunroof open... NOW... I can hear the supercharger whirl even with my music turned up to a reasonable driving level. After driving around for about an hour, I had NO check engine lights and no issues except a slight fit issue with the plastic guard in the wheel well, which I created a new screw hole for in order to hold back the slightly cumbersome intake.

I'm sure this has been done before to some degree, just curious more than anything if it has been done by someone that has used a modification like this long term? I'm curious if by keeping the sensor connected to the stock box it could trigger fewer CELs.

Oh... and if you are looking to get a CA intake, they are quite possibly the worst fitting intakes, with or without modification... and the sleeves ARE A BITCH to move around.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the tornado work??
Old 05-15-2007, 05:24 PM

I don't see how creating more turbulent airflow will help.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:28 PM

my buddy ran a CAI and a tornado and kept gettikng a CEL from it
Old 05-15-2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by alaskacobalt
I wasn't liking my Fujita intake, so I decided that I was going to take the Cobalt Addiction one and modify it slightly with a really stupid concept. It seemed like I kept getting moisture into my Fujita, so to resolve this, I decide to do a variation of a filter box mod. I basically used the original filter box, removed the stock filter, threw in a performance filter, took longer screws, to compensate for the gap, and essentially hooked up the cobalt addiction intake to the box. So now, I have about a 1 inch gap on the bottom of the filter box, allowing more air flow, while protecting the majority of the cone. But this wasn't enough for me... I also and welded a vortex style shape into the intake. This of course will spin the air and supposedly create a tornado style action through the intake, increasing the speed, while I assume cooling the air slightly.

Now with my Fujita I could only really hear my supercharger whirl with a window open or the sunroof open... NOW... I can hear the supercharger whirl even with my music turned up to a reasonable driving level. After driving around for about an hour, I had NO check engine lights and no issues except a slight fit issue with the plastic guard in the wheel well, which I created a new screw hole for in order to hold back the slightly cumbersome intake.

I'm sure this has been done before to some degree, just curious more than anything if it has been done by someone that has used a modification like this long term? I'm curious if by keeping the sensor connected to the stock box it could trigger fewer CELs.

Oh... and if you are looking to get a CA intake, they are quite possibly the worst fitting intakes, with or without modification... and the sleeves ARE A BITCH to move around.
I'm not saying it doesn't matter at all, but most of the changes before the supercharger do not really have an effect on the outcome of the boost that it makes (As far as swirl or ram air etc.). The probable reason for not throwing a CEL is that the tornado and similar devices restrict airflow (Especially on a supercharged engine) therefore you will not get the code.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dude! YOU LIVE IN ALASKA! If you need cooler air, there really isn't anywhere cooler to go that has roads.

Try sucking in 130*+ air off the pavement here in Arizona
Old 05-15-2007, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that tornado thing is bullshit, you may have screwed up your intake.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:26 PM

Basically it was an experiment more than anything. I can't tell you if there is a performance gain from it or not, because fast is fast and once you get up to stage 3-4, all you notice is that your back is against the seat. For me, I think the major benefit is the sound... that whirling sound is awesome and gets A LOT of looks and compliments. My buddy has a WRX and he calls it the sound of impending loss, because as soon as it starts whirling, I smoke past him every time.

If nothing else, it is definitely an improvement in airflow over stock, and certainly a MAJOR improvement in sound quality over stock AND Fujita. I definitely now realize I need some handling modifications before I can pack on anymore power... the car has a mean jump to it and if you hit a groove in the road and Alaska has a lot of them... the car whirls through multiple lanes.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:19 PM

i had the fujita and my car screams with windows up and music too..thats weird..but everybody has their own opinion..good luck..and yea ingalls and mounts will make it launch like no tomorrow..
Old 05-16-2007, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by G85Cobalt
i had the fujita and my car screams with windows up and music too..thats weird..but everybody has their own opinion..good luck..and yea ingalls and mounts will make it launch like no tomorrow..
Yeah I figure I'll spend the next several thousand on better ride and handling... there's a point when you have more power than is reasonable to control with any real quality, and I think I'm quickly closing in on that point.

As for Fujita, it was good, but I didn't give me what I was looking for and kept kicking CELs like crazy. I would start reversing my car and the damn thing would go off sometimes. But it seems to be completely different for each car, so that's why I normally don't tell someone to buy any certain intake... because each one seems to be more or less hit or miss depending upon the car, the driver, the install, etc.