2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

anyone... water injection or bypass mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone... water injection or bypass mod?

Im big into tuning my Corolla (don't laugh, haha) and im getting into your site b/c we have identical superchargers. Has anyone here really gotten into water/methanol injection or bypassing the bypass valve (that sounds so funny).

I have been running water injection for about a year and it is great. No power gains by itself but with tuning you can make some great numbers. My S/C's ECU is set to run rich (10:1) to avoid knock and just running the water injection alone only further richens it up. With a fuel controller I can lean out the a/f for some good gains (im now at 11.5:1). Is this where you guys are at or are you running a pretty good a/f ratio stock?

Also, running an aftermarket intake was burning out our catalytic converters due to the increased exhaust temps (close to 1300 degrees), but the water injection reduces the exhaust temps enough to run it safely now (1050 degrees). Are you guys having burnt out cat problems also?

Lastly, the bypass valve is limiting us to about 10 psi of boost (the stock boost pressure is 7.5psi). Have you guys successfully done a bypass mod that showed good gains?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by polo708
Im big into tuning my Corolla (don't laugh, haha) and im getting into your site b/c we have identical superchargers. Has anyone here really gotten into water/methanol injection or bypassing the bypass valve (that sounds so funny).

I have been running water injection for about a year and it is great. No power gains by itself but with tuning you can make some great numbers. My S/C's ECU is set to run rich (10:1) to avoid knock and just running the water injection alone only further richens it up. With a fuel controller I can lean out the a/f for some good gains (im now at 11.5:1). Is this where you guys are at or are you running a pretty good a/f ratio stock?

Also, running an aftermarket intake was burning out our catalytic converters due to the increased exhaust temps (close to 1300 degrees), but the water injection reduces the exhaust temps enough to run it safely now (1050 degrees). Are you guys having burnt out cat problems also?

Lastly, the bypass valve is limiting us to about 10 psi of boost (the stock boost pressure is 7.5psi). Have you guys successfully done a bypass mod that showed good gains?
From what Ive read, the water/alcohol injection on our cars havent shown much promise. As for the bypass mod, yea some peeps on here have gotten into the bypass mod. The last guy I saw was running 270 Hp with just a smaller pulley and the bypass ( I think ).

What are your corolla's stats?(hp,0-60,1/4mi,mods,etc)
Old 01-26-2006, 12:19 AM

There was one guy that ran water injection for a little bit and he saw a difference.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:21 AM

bypass mod is a must. or pcm with f-with your boost and bounce it around till redline.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:23 AM

Im big into tuning my Corolla (don't laugh, haha)
Corolla? HAHAHAHA!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 12:25 AM

F&^k bypass mods and water injectors, TWIN-CHARGE!!!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 12:26 AM

What are your corolla's stats?(hp,0-60,1/4mi,mods,etc)
210whp, 14.2@94 quarter mile, my car only weights about 2450 lbs.
mods: s/c@9.5psi, 5th injector, TRD ECU piggyback, water injection, intake, additional injector controller, header, midpipe (hi flow cat and 2 resonators 2.5" piping), magnaflow exhaust, wideband o2 sensor.

Im afraid im pretty well maxed out on power. Tried a smaller pulley but it pretty much just produced more heat with little power gains, need to try the bypass mod with that pulley and see if its bleeding off any of that extra boost the pulley is making?? any ideas? hoping to get a different perspective of my setup other than Corolla guys.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC
F&^k bypass mods and water injectors, TWIN-CHARGE!!!!!
I'm no fan of twin charging. I think its over rated. If it was so great more different cars would be trying it. I cosign a well tuned big turbo though. Like a 20g thats a good size one for our cars.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:34 AM

vw is actually working on a twin charged GTI... only 170hp though
Old 01-26-2006, 01:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darksun280
I'm no fan of twin charging. I think its over rated.

yeah bolting a turbo to an already supercharged car and basically doubling the whp is soooo over-rated
Old 01-26-2006, 01:47 AM

You don't get double the hp, you just gain the benifit of all time boost
Old 01-26-2006, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

210whp, 14.2@94 quarter mile, my car only weights about 2450 lbs.
mods: s/c@9.5psi, 5th injector, TRD ECU piggyback, water injection, intake, additional injector controller, header, midpipe (hi flow cat and 2 resonators 2.5" piping), magnaflow exhaust, wideband o2 sensor.

Im afraid im pretty well maxed out on power. Tried a smaller pulley but it pretty much just produced more heat with little power gains, need to try the bypass mod with that pulley and see if its bleeding off any of that extra boost the pulley is making?? any ideas? hoping to get a different perspective of my setup other than Corolla guys.

PICS!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JMAc88
yeah it's only good for 15 horsepower...

read up on it buddy, the twincharged redline is running 450whp~ on stock internals
Old 01-26-2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
yeah it's only good for 15 horsepower...

read up on it buddy, the twincharged redline is running 450whp~ on stock internals
Well by all means please post up a link to this if your talking about whos car I think you are. And I doubt the internals are completely stock but will see. And 450 whp you say but let me guess no track times or anything to back up that its worth the time. Dyno numbers always seem good enough for the members on this site. Same thing with the Intense kit. They screamed it was 270 Whp so people ran out and bought it like sheep. And More than half aren't getting the numbers they thought they would, or the results.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Darksun280
Well by all means please post up a link to this if your talking about whos car I think you are. And I doubt the internals are completely stock but will see. And 450 whp you say but let me guess no track times or anything to back up that its worth the time. Dyno numbers always seem good enough for the members on this site. Same thing with the Intense kit. They screamed it was 270 Whp so people ran out and bought it like sheep. And More than half aren't getting the numbers they thought they would, or the results.
Why are you gonna start that in this thread. But, seeing how you did and all... the baseline for the Intense car was around 230Whp (for whatever reason) so they only showed a gain of approximately 40whp. People that can't understand that, are never going to understand why they're not hitting the same numbers with the same mods (being most cars dyno at least 15-20whp lower stock). The 450whp number for the twincharged car is an estimate, and not from Twincharged. Ant said he was conservatively running at least 350whp. The higher estimate came from Mark (formerly of Psi-Fi, now with RevItUp) when he said that the car has to be at least 400hp because of the way if kept up and stayed side by side with him in a "friendly" highway run when they ran it. Mark was in a 440whp Audi S4. You want track times? When the snow stops and the tracks open back up, then you'll have a reason to bitch about no track times, till then, it's a mute point. And dyno numbers will come when he's finished tuning, which can also be finalized in spring.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:33 PM

I will hopefully get water injextion in my car this summer
Old 01-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by selfinfliction
yeah bolting a turbo to an already supercharged car and basically doubling the whp is soooo over-rated
I would say its unproven.

Other that some forum posts and a video that I saw that was dark and hard to see I haven't seen any dyno videos or 1/4 runs, ect.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:48 PM

Are u crazy? You would have huge HP gains because the S/C would be powering the turbo, and the turbo would be powering the S/C. You would need to replace A LOT of stock components, but it would definitely increase HP substantially.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Blue04RedLine
Why are you gonna start that in this thread. But, seeing how you did and all... the baseline for the Intense car was around 230Whp (for whatever reason) so they only showed a gain of approximately 40whp. People that can't understand that, are never going to understand why they're not hitting the same numbers with the same mods (being most cars dyno at least 15-20whp lower stock). The 450whp number for the twincharged car is an estimate, and not from Twincharged. Ant said he was conservatively running at least 350whp. The higher estimate came from Mark (formerly of Psi-Fi, now with RevItUp) when he said that the car has to be at least 400hp because of the way if kept up and stayed side by side with him in a "friendly" highway run when they ran it. Mark was in a 440whp Audi S4. You want track times? When the snow stops and the tracks open back up, then you'll have a reason to bitch about no track times, till then, it's a mute point. And dyno numbers will come when he's finished tuning, which can also be finalized in spring.
HA! What did I start? Selfinfliction is trying to make it seem like I don't know anything because I don't believe that twincharging is the way to go. Than On top of that he tried to throw a dyno number at me of 450 whp when you just said yourself there is no dyno for the car and any dyno numbers that where thrown around where just estimates. And about the Intense kit, people are picking it up because there under the impression that 270 whp is what there gonna get even thought it has been stated that the cars base line run was 230 whp. Noobie members on here turn into sheep once gusstimates and dyno numbers start getting thrown around. And yeah I know the guy has no track times because its winter time in our area. I'm not doubting his setup persay but When He tried to tell me the guy is making 450 on a stock motor of course im gonna jump all over that. And what are you a twincharge groupie or somthing? Don't try and say im bitching about something when All I stated where facts when some one else threw speculations at me. Plus your saying im bitching because theres no track times but what the hell are you defending that setup off of? A friend of a friend told your moms uncle that his car kept up with another car that someone else heard was fast? Comon.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC
Are u crazy? You would have huge HP gains because the S/C would be powering the turbo, and the turbo would be powering the S/C. You would need to replace A LOT of stock components, but it would definitely increase HP substantially.
I would kinda think the supercharger is just in the way once the car needs to breath more in the higher gears. Plus I don't see if you have the turbo lets say at 20 psi how the supercharger is suposed to compress that any more. I didn't think you can compress the air twice when the second element isn't even trying to compress the air more than the first. Than if you wanna say how bout putting the turbo at only 10 psi and have the supercharger at 15 psi than why have the turbo not helping out. You would have to put on a small turbo to still have it efficient at that low boost but than when it comes time to really move lets say in mid 3rd gear on the things not helping out anymore. All I see is traction problems with out slicks from that kinda set up and being stuck to 60 mph roll races. Plus trying to worry about fuel maps for two differnt kinds of boost at differnt speeds and rpms Blah. Rmember the guys piggy backing doesn't sound like too much fun or ease doing that kinda tune with a piggy back.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:39 PM

I don't care about the logistics of it. It translates to fast!
Old 01-26-2006, 01:48 PM

Another thread hijacked ...
Sorry polo708 ... hopefully someone with some input relative to your questions will manage to find their way through the muck this post has become.

I know that people on here have had problems with clogged / malfunctioning cats, but I'm not sure if it was due to higher than normal exhaust temps. Also, I've run across a few members doing a boost bypass bypass (ha), and it seems to be working for them, but I'm not sure if anyone has dyno numbers or track times to back it up. And, finally, I don't know much about water injection so ... no comment there.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by cmj917
Another thread hijacked ...
Sorry polo708 ... hopefully someone with some input relative to your questions will manage to find their way through the muck this post has become.

I know that people on here have had problems with clogged / malfunctioning cats, but I'm not sure if it was due to higher than normal exhaust temps. Also, I've run across a few members doing a boost bypass bypass (ha), and it seems to be working for them, but I'm not sure if anyone has dyno numbers or track times to back it up. And, finally, I don't know much about water injection so ... no comment there.

Hope that helps.
Hey I answerd his question or atleast tried to before before It got hijacked and went off topic. Some one else brought up the twincharging thing so i replied to that too.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:01 PM

thanks for the help.

As for twin charging: the biggest headache will be in the ECU and control. You will have to tune it perfectly to really see worthy gains. The s/c has to be bypassed at the right time in order to make way for the spooled turbo. its an engine managment nightmare, haha.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:16 PM

3.15 in pulley
boost by pass mod
drop in filter removed bottom cover on air box
torque brace
neon adds 5 hp lol

This is what I have done so far hp number I do not know butt dyno tells me much faster than stock.

Quick Reply: anyone... water injection or bypass mod?