Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   belt making sounds and bypass valve ? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/belt-making-sounds-bypass-valve-156582/)

YellowTyBalt06 02-19-2009 01:56 PM

belt making sounds and bypass valve ?

hey everybody 2 ?S first my one of my belts is like making a sqeeling sound when im idle it allmost sounds like its from the supercharger belt but not sure and ? 2 i was on a superchager site and it says any supercharged car with more than 7psi should have a bypass/blow off valve do we have a stock bypass in our car or is that just pointless?

HunterKiller89 02-19-2009 02:07 PM

we have a bypass valve built into the supercharger. as for the sounds, until you post a video of the sound, its hard to diagnose. Since its at idle, it wouldnt be belt slip, so im gonna lean towards your timing chain tensioner, since that seems to fail on these cars a decent amount

flash13brandon 02-19-2009 02:15 PM

I have the same noise at idle. Def. sounds like coming from the belt. Need info as well.

damien 05-12-2009 12:22 PM

Bump. Looking for more info.

Gonna test taking the belt off and seeing if it still makes the noise.

RedEcotecSS 05-12-2009 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by damien (Post 3858443)
Bump. Looking for more info.

Gonna test taking the belt off and seeing if it still makes the noise.

...and putting what on in it's place while you try to reproduce the squeel?

rallycobalt06 05-12-2009 12:28 PM

i had a horrible belt squeal, so i replaced the belt. it went away but it came back. i would spray water or wd-40 on it while it was running and it would go away. come to find out it was the belt tensioner, so i replaced it and it has gone away. i do have a slight squeak but it's sooooo much better than what it was. my s/c pulley isn't directly lined up with the rest of the pulleys and i highly believe that's the cause of the little squealing i have now. go to gmpartsdirect.com for the belt tensioner, cheapest brand new one i could find.

damien 05-12-2009 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by RedEcotecSS (Post 3858452)

Nothing. If it's the belt or tensioner, the squeel will go away. If it comes back then it's timing chain tensioner related.

If it still makes noise, time to diagnose the timing chain tensioner.

HunterKiller89 05-12-2009 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by RedEcotecSS (Post 3858452)

the only vital component the belt moves is the alternator. the battery should have enough juice to run the engine for 30 seconds or so with no problems. but yea, im on the same page as you, in that its a weird approach to go by to trobleshoot

damien 05-12-2009 09:44 PM

Not really. I can do the belt in 5 minutes. Without that squeelc I can better diagnose a bigger problem.