Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   Can't figure out this miss fire / idle issue (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/cant-figure-out-miss-fire-idle-issue-325850/)

BEnSonn 02-23-2018 02:39 PM

Can't figure out this miss fire / idle issue

Currently I have no engine codes and my car idles kinda rough ( like at stop lights or stop signs). Usually with the idle it will miss, a range from 8 right away then a jump to 28 then 52 (according to my interceptor gauges, not sure how fast they update). Recently I had a camshaft position sensor code and I fixed that, if anything it got worse. I've had my intake and exhaust smoked for leaks and none were found. I noticed that when my gas tank is completely full it will run pretty much perfect. we also found yesterday that when the car was on a slight angle downward towards the passenger side the car idles perfect with no miss fires. I read it could be a sticky egr valve, bad fuel pump or fuel filter. last year I changed the fuel filter. Could it be the fuel pump? or an egr valve or maybe something else?.

from what I remember the idle started getting bad when I got the car tuned sometime last summer. I had siemens 60# fuel injectors installed so could that just be the problem I read people having idle issues with those injectors. I also cleaned my throttle body recently and my air intake filter. If anyone has any ideas of what it could be or point me in a direction of a thread that is similar to my issue would be appreciated.

chevygirl2006 02-23-2018 03:03 PM

60s don’t have idle issues for people that can tune them correctly. See what cylinder is misfiring. Then go from there. Could be spark plugs, coil packs, dirty injectors or a vacuum leak.

BEnSonn 02-23-2018 04:39 PM

spark plugs are relatively new, the person who tuned my car went out of business so its probably a crappy tune, but that wouldn't explain the fuel tank questions. like i said when the tank is full it runs perfect no miss and no rough idle. or when it was on the slight downward angle it was fine as well. when i had the engine code for miss fires it was random miss fire and cylinder 1, the spark plug was a bit black but I changed it, all codes went away when i changed my camshaft position sensor. my coils are also fine, injectors are pretty new only a few months, also used an injector cleaner recently so i don't think they are dirty. the vacuum leak is possible but the only thing i can think of where it would be at this point is something to do with fuel lines or fuel related components, since last month i had the intake and exhaust smoked and there was no leaks at all

exninja 02-23-2018 04:56 PM

I would think if it's a fueling issue your trims would be nuts and you'd get lean codes.

jdbaugh1 02-25-2018 09:25 AM

When I have read about people with idle issues that go away with a full tank of fuel it sometimes has to do with the EVAP system.

BKRedline 02-25-2018 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by BEnSonn (Post 7678527)
Currently I have no engine codes and my car idles kinda rough ( like at stop lights or stop signs). Usually with the idle it will miss, a range from 8 right away then a jump to 28 then 52 (according to my interceptor gauges, not sure how fast they update). Recently I had a camshaft position sensor code and I fixed that, if anything it got worse. I've had my intake and exhaust smoked for leaks and none were found. I noticed that when my gas tank is completely full it will run pretty much perfect. we also found yesterday that when the car was on a slight angle downward towards the passenger side the car idles perfect with no miss fires. I read it could be a sticky egr valve, bad fuel pump or fuel filter. last year I changed the fuel filter. Could it be the fuel pump? or an egr valve or maybe something else?.

from what I remember the idle started getting bad when I got the car tuned sometime last summer. I had siemens 60# fuel injectors installed so could that just be the problem I read people having idle issues with those injectors. I also cleaned my throttle body recently and my air intake filter. If anyone has any ideas of what it could be or point me in a direction of a thread that is similar to my issue would be appreciated.

im having same issue. Cylinder 1, swapped plugs same, swapped coils same, changed coils same, replaced tmap, maf, baro, and a few others. I’m starting to think it’s fuel issue. Have a e85 pump waiting to go in with filter and will pick up a regulator with return before installation. Issue is cylinder 1 misfires puts the car in closed loop idle bounces trying to recover balance until it recovers back normal till it misfires and starts over.