2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Can't figure out this miss fire / idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't figure out this miss fire / idle issue

Currently I have no engine codes and my car idles kinda rough ( like at stop lights or stop signs). Usually with the idle it will miss, a range from 8 right away then a jump to 28 then 52 (according to my interceptor gauges, not sure how fast they update). Recently I had a camshaft position sensor code and I fixed that, if anything it got worse. I've had my intake and exhaust smoked for leaks and none were found. I noticed that when my gas tank is completely full it will run pretty much perfect. we also found yesterday that when the car was on a slight angle downward towards the passenger side the car idles perfect with no miss fires. I read it could be a sticky egr valve, bad fuel pump or fuel filter. last year I changed the fuel filter. Could it be the fuel pump? or an egr valve or maybe something else?.

from what I remember the idle started getting bad when I got the car tuned sometime last summer. I had siemens 60# fuel injectors installed so could that just be the problem I read people having idle issues with those injectors. I also cleaned my throttle body recently and my air intake filter. If anyone has any ideas of what it could be or point me in a direction of a thread that is similar to my issue would be appreciated.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:03 PM

Received 91 Likes on 89 Posts
60s don’t have idle issues for people that can tune them correctly. See what cylinder is misfiring. Then go from there. Could be spark plugs, coil packs, dirty injectors or a vacuum leak.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:39 PM

spark plugs are relatively new, the person who tuned my car went out of business so its probably a crappy tune, but that wouldn't explain the fuel tank questions. like i said when the tank is full it runs perfect no miss and no rough idle. or when it was on the slight downward angle it was fine as well. when i had the engine code for miss fires it was random miss fire and cylinder 1, the spark plug was a bit black but I changed it, all codes went away when i changed my camshaft position sensor. my coils are also fine, injectors are pretty new only a few months, also used an injector cleaner recently so i don't think they are dirty. the vacuum leak is possible but the only thing i can think of where it would be at this point is something to do with fuel lines or fuel related components, since last month i had the intake and exhaust smoked and there was no leaks at all
Old 02-23-2018, 04:56 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
I would think if it's a fueling issue your trims would be nuts and you'd get lean codes.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:25 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
When I have read about people with idle issues that go away with a full tank of fuel it sometimes has to do with the EVAP system.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by BEnSonn
Currently I have no engine codes and my car idles kinda rough ( like at stop lights or stop signs). Usually with the idle it will miss, a range from 8 right away then a jump to 28 then 52 (according to my interceptor gauges, not sure how fast they update). Recently I had a camshaft position sensor code and I fixed that, if anything it got worse. I've had my intake and exhaust smoked for leaks and none were found. I noticed that when my gas tank is completely full it will run pretty much perfect. we also found yesterday that when the car was on a slight angle downward towards the passenger side the car idles perfect with no miss fires. I read it could be a sticky egr valve, bad fuel pump or fuel filter. last year I changed the fuel filter. Could it be the fuel pump? or an egr valve or maybe something else?.

from what I remember the idle started getting bad when I got the car tuned sometime last summer. I had siemens 60# fuel injectors installed so could that just be the problem I read people having idle issues with those injectors. I also cleaned my throttle body recently and my air intake filter. If anyone has any ideas of what it could be or point me in a direction of a thread that is similar to my issue would be appreciated.
im having same issue. Cylinder 1, swapped plugs same, swapped coils same, changed coils same, replaced tmap, maf, baro, and a few others. I’m starting to think it’s fuel issue. Have a e85 pump waiting to go in with filter and will pick up a regulator with return before installation. Issue is cylinder 1 misfires puts the car in closed loop idle bounces trying to recover balance until it recovers back normal till it misfires and starts over.