2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Cry02...get cooler air intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cry02...get cooler air intake

I was thinking about a way to cool down the air intake temp and came across this, what do you think, it just seems like refilling the tank could get costly, and it's like NOS, only activate on a switch. I am working with some F150 guys on a design like this. Except of using non-recirculating liquid Nitro, using the recirculation of Freon from the AC. They did this on their F150 but AC needs to be on, however on a F150 the AC turns off at WOT. Not sure how to solve this problem for the Cobalts yet, I'm working on it.

Get cooler air into your intake manifold.
These DEI air intake charge cooler kits have a special bulb with a cryogenic chamber mounted inside a 4 in. long segment of air tube. When charged with liquid CO2, the bulb freezes and chills the air as it passes through the intake, resulting in 35 percent cooler air and more power. The kits include silicone hose connection sleeves, hose clamps for mounting, vent hose, and the intake segment and bulb that will fit your factory or aftermarket air intake.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:02 PM

Isnt that the same thing as a dry shot of nitrous? If you want cooler intake temps, get water/meth injection.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:03 PM

This seems like a good idea but wouldnt water/meth injection be cheaper and more efficent??? My buddy has a SVT cobra and it runs the water/meth injection at anythig above 7psi. Is there any downfalls to this system?? I was thinking of buying one for the cobalt after i get my stage 2.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by SRT-4_UK
Isnt that the same thing as a dry shot of nitrous? If you want cooler intake temps, get water/meth injection.
It doesn't actually inject anything into the throttle body, just cools the air going by the bulb. What's a water-meth injection?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kennyspec
This seems like a good idea but wouldnt water/meth injection be cheaper and more efficent??? My buddy has a SVT cobra and it runs the water/meth injection at anythig above 7psi. Is there any downfalls to this system?? I was thinking of buying one for the cobalt after i get my stage 2.
Do you mean water/meth or the cry02
Old 06-20-2006, 06:06 PM

water meth injects a fine mist of water/meth mix into your intake reducing knock, increasing octane, cleaning your engine, and greatly reducing intake temps depending on what mix you run.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:07 PM

I've known about these guys for a couple of years, they won best new product at SEMA a few years back for this. Seems like it would work, one guy said he gained about a 1/2 sec et. with the pictured setup on a stock SVT Focus.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kennyspec
Oh, I think I've seen that method on a cobra. Is it a resevior filled with chilled water? I see the only downfall to this is the air is only cooled when on the bottle, so you would only use it in a race probably. It doesn't get specific on operation, but maybe it puts a small shot into the cryo-bulb and it holds it cool for a certain amount of time instead of a constant shot like NOS. Know what i mean?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:08 PM

water meth injects a fine mist of water/meth mix into your intake reducing knock, increasing octane, cleaning your engine, and greatly reducing intake temps depending on what mix you run.
so it's a wet shot, and you would have to set it up like NOS straight into your intake tube? Kinda like this without the bulb right?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:11 PM

They also have a Intercooler sprayer, and a fuel bar. The fuel bar is basically a small aluminum box with fuel lines running through it, cooling the fuel, and there for cooling combustion chamber temps.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:11 PM

Does not work as well as nitrous because it is not as cold. It works in an opposite way nitrous by actually reducing detonation instead of increasing it. It is much safer and less costly.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:13 PM

I'm thinking about getting the whole set-up, intake, fuel, oil, and trans. Is too cool bad?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:14 PM

The water/Meth system on my buddies SVT Cobra is injecting winter windsheild washer fluid directly into the intake manifold before the air hits the supercharger. it only starts injecting after 7psi of boost. It really helped the car cause you can safely run more boost/timing without detonating. My brother has one on order for his cavalier.

By the way his cavalier is a 2002 and has a GM 3.1V6 in it that we have just finished turboing. He beat me by about 3 car lengths at 3psi.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:14 PM

Does not work as well as nitrous because it is not as cold. It works in an opposite way nitrous by actually reducing detonation instead of increasing it. It is much safer and less costly.
It's just to keep engine temp down mostly, not to gain an explosive HP gain.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:17 PM

It does keep down intake temps and does not give explosive hp gains unless tuned to do so i.e. more boost. It also cleans out the carbon buildup on the engine internals.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:18 PM

so it would be safe to have a direct shot of water/meth into the CAI before the SC? That's what the SVT are doing right?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:18 PM

water/meth injection is a small injector in your intake track, that sprays a small amount of a water/methane mix to help cool your combustion chamber temp, allowing you to run on pump gas when you should be running on race gas.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:19 PM

It does keep down intake temps and does not give explosive hp gains unless tuned to do so i.e. more boost. It also cleans out the carbon buildup on the engine internals.
are you talking about the CRY02 system or the water/meth?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by juststickit124
are you talking about the CRY02 system or the water/meth?
the water/meth.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:22 PM

Here is a link to how water/meth works
http://www.enginerunup.com/how-it-works-faqs/info_8.php
Old 06-20-2006, 06:24 PM

Usine a combo of both wouldn't be a bad idea, just make sure the water/meth is downstream of the bulb. Cry02 is intended to cool intake temps, water/meth is intended to cool combustion temps.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSonOfS.A.M.
Usine a combo of both wouldn't be a bad idea, just make sure the water/meth is downstream of the bulb. Cry02 is intended to cool intake temps, water/meth is intended to cool combustion temps.
Water/meth will also cool the intake temps. I saw a decrease of 25-30 degrees at WOT.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSonOfS.A.M.
that sounds like a pretty good idea. Now reading the water/meth article, it seems like it would only benefit crazy HP or combustion. It would be a while before i have gains like that, would the water/meth be harmful? I just want the engine to run a little cooler ,"healthier", and help it perform in the hot weather without changing a thermostat. It would probably help lean out the A/F too since these cars run rich anyways.

I might try this CRY02 system before the water/meth. I'm still trying to fabricat it working on AC freon though, but can't figure out how to get the freon cold without running the factory ac. Maybe an aux compressor and condesor? Mount a little condensor in front of the stock one and the compressor in that open area just to the left of the motor mount. But the compressor would have to be run of a pully wouldn't it?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by juststickit124
that sounds like a pretty good idea. Now reading the water/meth article, it seems like it would only benefit crazy HP or combustion. It would be a while before i have gains like that, would the water/meth be harmful? I just want the engine to run a little cooler ,"healthier", and help it perform in the hot weather without changing a thermostat. It would probably help lean out the A/F too since these cars run rich anyways.

I might try this CRY02 system before the water/meth. I'm still trying to fabricat it working on AC freon though, but can't figure out how to get the freon cold without running the factory ac. Maybe an aux compressor and condesor? Mount a little condensor in front of the stock one and the compressor in that open area just to the left of the motor mount. But the compressor would have to be run of a pully wouldn't it?
The water meth will help in any situation whether you have huge hp or not. Water meth is not harmful at all. It also richens the car a little bit not leans it out. Running a lower thermostat will lower the engine temp but put more stress on it over time.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:37 PM

after reading that article is seems detonation is what happened to my friends STI sunday. He has crazy stage V tuning and only a CAI and exhuast. Stock intercooler, IC hoses, and thermostat. Anyways, we were driving through the canyons and his car just siezed up. We checked the oil and it was bone dry and steaming. Not exactly sure what happened but Subie is making him pay 6,800 for a new engine.

Quick Reply: Cry02...get cooler air intake