2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Different stock HPs ?? Im confused

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Different stock HPs ?? Im confused

Ok the manual i believe says the were rated at 205 hp at the wheels. But as i been doing some research ive been seeing that this may vary. ive seen people on this sight talk about having up to or around 205 to 220 Hp or somewhere in between, after being dynoed at stock. This was interesting to me. I guess cause no car is the same, or it depends on the supercharger. I dont know i just thought it was cool to know that you might have more than you thought you did. Kinda like a grab bag.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:07 PM

it is well know to most that the gm rating of 205 is at the wheels and we have about 220 at the crank
Old 04-22-2006, 11:08 PM
p7x

It has been very interesting to see everyone with diff #'s usually a car dynos in a narrow range but our cars are unique like that. Our range is like 197 - 236 hp. Large range but u have to take into account what gear and what kinda of dyno, condition, setup. But it is coo that on average our cars have more than 205 hp.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:08 PM

So there for it could be true that every one might vary. I dunno i was just curious
Old 04-22-2006, 11:11 PM

under the same conditions, every cobalt ss s/c has as much HP as the next one. people have been sayin 06's are a little faster then 05's but not by much. but the difference in dyno #'s is because of numerous factors, not because of some SS s/c's are faster then other SS s/c's
Old 04-22-2006, 11:39 PM
p7x

Originally Posted by PuSha050
people have been sayin 06's are a little faster then 05's but not by much.
yes because the GM badge gives 10 hp. And the lower SS badge is more aerodynamic.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by p7x
yes because the GM badge gives 10 hp. And the lower SS badge is more aerodynamic.
that is great, good thing I got my '06!
Old 04-22-2006, 11:49 PM

This is actually common on all vehicles...just an error percentage. It is very dificult to produce an engine that creates the same numbers time and time again, that's all. And to be safe GM underrated the motors so you get an actual 'real world' number.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:53 PM

The 205 hp rating is at 5600 RPM. Our cars build power to redline -> so about 220ish at 6500 RPM.

-P
Old 04-23-2006, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by PuSha050
under the same conditions, every cobalt ss s/c has as much HP as the next one. people have been sayin 06's are a little faster then 05's but not by much. but the difference in dyno #'s is because of numerous factors, not because of some SS s/c's are faster then other SS s/c's
Not true at all....every engine is different so there can be varying power outputs within the same exact model cars. The 205 is an average rating.

It is true that the dynos diffs do account for some variability too though.

Originally Posted by Pully Police
The 205 hp rating is at 5600 RPM. Our cars build power to redline -> so about 220ish at 6500 RPM.

-P
EXACTLY!!
Old 04-23-2006, 01:02 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by retrop
Not true at all....every engine is different so there can be varying power outputs within the same exact model cars. The 205 is an average rating.

It is true that the dynos diffs do account for some variability too though.

EXACTLY!!
All the engines are very very close to the same. Mass production makes sure of that. There is no way one engine is going to make 205 HP and another is going to make 230 HP, it's that dyno's aren't are calibrated the same.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:35 AM

Remember its a mass produced vehicle, not a hand built gallardo. Every cobalt should be similar but no cigar.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:00 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zinner
All the engines are very very close to the same. Mass production makes sure of that. There is no way one engine is going to make 205 HP and another is going to make 230 HP, it's that dyno's aren't are calibrated the same.
well on average very close.

you have to consider conditions when dynoing as many have said. more specifically what gas are you running. is it good from the station you bought it from. what kind of dyno, is the dyno rolling resistance the same as the next? should be but is it? what is your altitude. what is the temperature, and humidity.

When it comes to engines the major reason why there is performance variances is due to cam timing. that is why you can buy adjustable cam timing sprockets. not only can you tune with the timing of your valves you compensate for the few degrees that the factory cam is off from factory. With road race bikes we have found large performance gains in some and in recent years we have gained the experience to check the timing before ordering the cam sprockets. we just wanted to ensure we needed them before buying them. We had seen a large increase in accuracy of getting cam timing correct right from the factory.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:21 AM
Banned

I haven't dyno'ed mine yet but I am going to say 220-240whp. somewhere between there.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:56 AM

it also has to do with elevation determining how much boost you can run as well as air temp with denser air as well
Old 04-23-2006, 09:45 AM
tio

Completely agree ! ^^^ NO way that mass production using the same parts and assembly procedures would have over a 10 % difference.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:02 AM

I am a Machinist/Tool Maker and run a CNC machine and i can say that Mass Production does NOT mean identical parts .... one part will be off from the next even in the best machine .. it could be a few .0001 or even +/- .0015 depending on wht they call out for on the prints. so yes even a thousandth here or there could make up a 10% or more diffrence.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by TheYellowSS
Ok the manual i believe says the were rated at 205 hp at the wheels.
Is it just me--or did know one set this man straight?

GM rates all hp at the flywheel (AKA crank) they are under rating the 2.0 S/C.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:21 AM

Thumbs up Agreed

The biggest difference will come from dyno accuracy and atmosphere conditions such as temperature, humidity, and atmospheric pressure. I can feel a difference in power when the weather is cool and cloudy vs. sunny and hot. The engine computer will compensate for these changes to some degree but has it's limitations.

Cooler air, maybe around 65F, is good and is why many performance cars try to gather air from outside the engine compartment. On days when the temperature is oh... 95F... gathering 65F air is not possible without an air cooler.

Physics...
Old 04-23-2006, 11:08 AM

I wasn't trying to imply gross differences like that.....sorry if it came off that way. I wouldn't be surprised to see a maybe 5 hp difference possible within the cobalts stock. And this could be compounded by the dyno diffs as well.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:14 AM
tio

Originally Posted by UnstableSS
I am a Machinist/Tool Maker and run a CNC machine and i can say that Mass Production does NOT mean identical parts .... one part will be off from the next even in the best machine .. it could be a few .0001 or even +/- .0015 depending on wht they call out for on the prints. so yes even a thousandth here or there could make up a 10% or more diffrence.
Understand what you are saying. My father in-law is a millwright,my brother in-law is a machinist, and my other brother in-law is a tool & die maker. (Dinner conversation is F**king brutal with these guys ) but 10 % variable in horsepower is huge. It has been many years but one of my first jobs was rebuilding small block V-8s in a performance shop. This was way before the CNC became maintstream. Although engines have changed a great deal since then, a gas engine is still fuel,compression and ignition. At least one of these has to be changed to increase horsepower. I realize that the parts used are not identical,but, they are really close (within a few thou). If the variable of tolerance was an issue here, why are there not some SS/SC guys claiming some low dyno numbers ? If numbers as high as 236 whp are being claimed should there not also be some guys complaining about 174 whp ???

A dyno is a tuning tool. They can be quite effective provided you use the same dyno before and after a mod and try to re-create the variables as much as possible. The variable of correction factor,weather conditions and dyno calibration are more likely to affect such a large swing in numbers. A wheel dyno is to a car what a bathroom scale is to a women. We all know a women that will only weigh herself on certain scales because she likes the number she sees when she looks down. This is usually the same women that will not wear a bikini at the beach

Peace
Steve.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:00 PM

haha i used 2 use cnc machines in my major in High school. i never said anything about 06's being faster then 05's i just stated htat some people think that is true. me personally i think they are the same (cough* 2006s are better *cough)

true there are always slight differences in mass production but 99% of the cars produced will be the same as the next one IN THE SAME CONDITIONS!!!!!!! the same car with the same motor with teh same supercharger boost with teh same engine calibration doesnt make for differences of 20HP.. 1-2HP yes, but what some people are suggesting is crazy
Old 04-23-2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by tio
Understand what you are saying. My father in-law is a millwright,my brother in-law is a machinist, and my other brother in-law is a tool & die maker. (Dinner conversation is F**king brutal with these guys ) but 10 % variable in horsepower is huge. It has been many years but one of my first jobs was rebuilding small block V-8s in a performance shop. This was way before the CNC became maintstream. Although engines have changed a great deal since then, a gas engine is still fuel,compression and ignition. At least one of these has to be changed to increase horsepower. I realize that the parts used are not identical,but, they are really close (within a few thou). If the variable of tolerance was an issue here, why are there not some SS/SC guys claiming some low dyno numbers ? If numbers as high as 236 whp are being claimed should there not also be some guys complaining about 174 whp ???

A dyno is a tuning tool. They can be quite effective provided you use the same dyno before and after a mod and try to re-create the variables as much as possible. The variable of correction factor,weather conditions and dyno calibration are more likely to affect such a large swing in numbers. A wheel dyno is to a car what a bathroom scale is to a women. We all know a women that will only weigh herself on certain scales because she likes the number she sees when she looks down. This is usually the same women that will not wear a bikini at the beach

Peace
Steve.

I agree. I seen on here people get anywhere from 200-230 whp on the dyno. it's because of the dyno, I don't believe there can be a 30 WHP difference between 2 stock cobalts.

look at the track times people post, most(not all) run around the same mph.

same day,same dyno, the cars are going to dyno almost the same in most cases.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Doc

Originally Posted by tio
A wheel dyno is to a car what a bathroom scale is to a women. We all know a women that will only weigh herself on certain scales because she likes the number she sees when she looks down. This is usually the same women that will not wear a bikini at the beach

Peace
Steve.
this is the best quote I've heard in awhile....
Old 04-23-2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by avro206
Is it just me--or did know one set this man straight?

GM rates all hp at the flywheel (AKA crank) they are under rating the 2.0 S/C.
I understood the 205hp rating was at the wheels....

Quick Reply: Different stock HPs ?? Im confused