2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Dual IC Pump setup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual IC Pump setup?

So here's the background:

I'm in training to operate shipboard nuclear reactors, and the most important thing when it comes to using a reactor is how to keep it cooled. One way to lower coolant temperature is to increase the rate at which the coolant flows.

What that means for our cars?:

My "hypothesis" is that if you were to run two stock IC pumps in parallel, you would double the flow rate in the IC loop. Loop pressure wouldn't change, but twice the amount of coolant would be flowing through the laminovas. This SHOULD drop IAT's and may be a viable replacement for dual pass? The only problem is, the location of the IC pumps would have to change and option B would almost be a must to prevent cavitation and subsequent reductions in pump efficiency. The theory behind this setup basically goes like this

If the fluid is flowing faster, it has less time to heat up in the laminovas, BUT since there's more fluid moving, the same cooling is provided while preventing the coolant temperature from getting as high during its heat cycle. Since heat transfer requires a temperature difference, and the rate of heat transfer depends on the magnitude of that temperature difference, sending cooler coolant to through the IM would promote faster heat transfer-> lower IAT2s

Just kind of word vomiting right now, but I feel like this could work. What do you guys think?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:53 PM

I understand the theory behind what your talking about. Making it work, well thats a different story.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Banned

I been thinking the same thing and will do it soon
Ima get the cxracing pump.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
if you have money try a dual heat exchanger too
Old 09-30-2011, 05:22 PM

the only problem with that could be that the coolant is moving to fast for the heat to transfer, correct me if im wrong but i belive the stock pump flows at like 6gpr and is the same pump on the ford lighting witch one of my frinds had and we bumped up the flow to like 12gpr and the ait2 went up bit but that is a pos ford but the setup would be differnt
Old 09-30-2011, 05:35 PM

I'm thinking mount the option b in the regular spot, run two lines out of the resevoir, mount the dual pumps directly underneath the tank, run two lines with threaded fittings from both pumps, screw the two fittings into a garden-like y fitting then run a larger line to the IM.

Sound like it would work?
Old 09-30-2011, 05:37 PM

I'm thinking mount the option b in the regular spot, run two lines out of the resevoir, mount the dual pumps directly underneath the tank, run two lines with threaded fittings from both pumps, screw the two fittings into a garden-like y fitting then run a larger line to the IM.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jdam8139

Old 09-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

I am intrigued. IF you do a single pass manifold you could essentially have each pump handling two lamnova cores each. There would be several ways to route the tubing and how you would make your connections but I think the theory is there. I imagine your IAT2's would drop somewhat and your recovery time would be very quick.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:59 PM

you guys are nuking it. put the spacer grif and single pass and call it a day.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:17 PM

Bumping up the speed on a single pump would raise coolant temps because the coolant is most likely used to cool and lube the pump itself. Upping the pump speed creates more friction and other heat producing losses.

I thing keeping the pumps separate and running them through two laminovas each might be a better plan
Old 09-30-2011, 07:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like a good theory,make it work. I been looking into the chiller killer set
Old 09-30-2011, 07:51 PM

the easiest way would be to use a dual pass plate and two pumps one feed bottom and other top but you dont want to run a dual end plate
Old 09-30-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:50 PM

Wouldnt this also allow the coolant to flow to quickly through the h/e not allowing a proper cool down? I think a dual or single pass would work better if you could increase(maybe double) the capacity of the system
Old 09-30-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by 09BlueBaltSS
Wouldnt this also allow the coolant to flow to quickly through the h/e not allowing a proper cool down? I think a dual or single pass would work better if you could increase(maybe double) the capacity of the system
let the nuke, umm nuke it ^_^
Old 10-01-2011, 12:45 AM

chiller killer+ dual pumps= ?????
I would really want to try this out.If only there was some way to cool the opt b tank so the liquid would already be fresh when it enters the h/e
Old 10-01-2011, 12:59 AM

IMO, the more capacity the system has the better and faster it will cool. A decent size flow through style tank, not a overflow, but an actual tank that the fluid enters and leaves on a regular basis will benefit you greatly. This can also be used as an ice tank for racing.

I know a lot of jbody guys use cobra tanks and cobra heat exchangers only (not added to any other h/e) with cobalt pumps, and see 12-15 degree drops with the addition of the cobra tank over the stock "t" neck or a option b. If filled properly, a system with out the option b can be very effective too. I only use the stock filler neck, and I have NO air in the system. I did for a while, then took about 25 mintues "bleeding" it one day, got about 3/4 to 1 cup more liquid in the system and temp dropped 5-6 degrees.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Omnigear
let the nuke, umm nuke it ^_^
Haha, never heard that one before....no just kidding, this is just me trying to do something that hasn't been done before. Its just like that guy that tried the air to air IC, IIRC it didn't work like he wanted it to, but he wouldn't have known that until he tried. Difference is, I'm taking information that I've learned from a completely different field and trying to apply it here. If it works, GREAT, if it doesn't, chalk it up to a learning experience.

Originally Posted by 09BlueBaltSS
The thing about raising the flow rate is that, yes, it would go through the HE faster, so basically the hot coolant wouldn't get as hot, and the cool coolant wouldn't get as cool, but the fact the average temperature of the coolant in the entire system would remain relatively unchanged.

The way I'm thinking about it, there are three possible outcomes:

1. With a constant heat load (meaning there is no considerable change in the heat removed from the intake charge) and a doubled flow rate, the hot coolant temp drops and the cold coolant temp raises making the difference in temperatures smaller. This should result in faster recovery times from hard pulls aka less heat soak.

2. If flow rate doubles, and the change in coolant temperature from hot to cold is affected by a factor less than .5 (the difference in the hot coolant temp and cold coolant temp is less than half of original), then the amount of heat transferred out of the heat exchanger goes down.

3. If flow rate doubles, and the change in coolant temperature from hot to cold is affected by a factor greater than .5 (the difference in the hot coolant temp and cold coolant temp is greater than half of original), then the amount of heat transferred out of the heat exchanger will increase.

With increasing heat loads though, this means that the doubled flow rate will cause hot temps to go up and cold temps to go down. Once again this means less heat soak, and correct me if I'm wrong, but more efficient cooling.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jdam8139
Haha, never heard that one before....no just kidding, this is just me trying to do something that hasn't been done before. Its just like that guy that tried the air to air IC, IIRC it didn't work like he wanted it to, but he wouldn't have known that until he tried. Difference is, I'm taking information that I've learned from a completely different field and trying to apply it here. If it works, GREAT, if it doesn't, chalk it up to a learning experience.

The thing about raising the flow rate is that, yes, it would go through the HE faster, so basically the hot coolant wouldn't get as hot, and the cool coolant wouldn't get as cool, but the fact the average temperature of the coolant in the entire system would remain relatively unchanged.

The way I'm thinking about it, there are three possible outcomes:

1. With a constant heat load (meaning there is no considerable change in the heat removed from the intake charge) and a doubled flow rate, the hot coolant temp drops and the cold coolant temp raises making the difference in temperatures smaller. This should result in faster recovery times from hard pulls aka less heat soak.

2. If flow rate doubles, and the change in coolant temperature from hot to cold is affected by a factor less than .5 (the difference in the hot coolant temp and cold coolant temp is less than half of original), then the amount of heat transferred out of the heat exchanger goes down.

3. If flow rate doubles, and the change in coolant temperature from hot to cold is affected by a factor greater than .5 (the difference in the hot coolant temp and cold coolant temp is greater than half of original), then the amount of heat transferred out of the heat exchanger will increase.

With increasing heat loads though, this means that the doubled flow rate will cause hot temps to go up and cold temps to go down. Once again this means less heat soak, and correct me if I'm wrong, but more efficient cooling.
try and i hope you succeed, but my limited imagination see it differently >_<
Old 10-03-2011, 09:24 AM

The way I see it is both pumps flow the same speed, thats not going to make the coolant flow any fatser. Just because you have one car going 55 and another on his bumper also doing 55 doesn't mean your doing 110....see what i'm saying. Just buy a bigger option b tank so there is more coolant to flow there for making it harder to get all that fluid hot (shot of water/pan of water. Which gets hotter faster?) Good though tbut I really doubt it will work and besides it's not a nuclear reactor it's just a cobalt. Phenolic spacer= low IAT2's
Old 10-03-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by klloyd
The way I see it is both pumps flow the same speed, thats not going to make the coolant flow any fatser. Just because you have one car going 55 and another on his bumper also doing 55 doesn't mean your doing 110
Umm... He said "in parallel". So splicing in another pump on a split line will push/pull more fluid....Side by side, not bumper to bumper.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
Umm... He said "in parallel". So splicing in another pump on a split line will push/pull more fluid....Side by side, not bumper to bumper.
^^ This. Two identical pumps in parallel will double the volumetric flow rate= More coolant flow.

Originally Posted by klloyd
The way I see it is both pumps flow the same speed, thats not going to make the coolant flow any fatser. Just because you have one car going 55 and another on his bumper also doing 55 doesn't mean your doing 110....see what i'm saying. Just buy a bigger option b tank so there is more coolant to flow there for making it harder to get all that fluid hot (shot of water/pan of water. Which gets hotter faster?) Good though tbut I really doubt it will work and besides it's not a nuclear reactor it's just a cobalt. Phenolic spacer= low IAT2's
The reason I brought up the reactor is to relate the cooling principles. If this process works well enough to cool off a mass destroying (or converting ) reactor, then why shouldn't it work on a cobalt? I don't think anyone has tried this yet. So in a sense, yes I'm just trying to do something different. Like I said, if it works, GREAT! Now people have another option to combat heat. If it doesn't, no one will waste time on the idea in the future, and efforts can be put elsewhere.

Besides, I don't imagine this would make a huge difference in IAT's. I DO, however, think it would allow your IATs to recover faster. So a phenolic spacer, option b, dual pass, and this (if it works), would enable you to make multiple pulls with cooler IAT's and virtually no heat soak.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:17 AM

subd
Old 10-03-2011, 10:34 AM

Was doing a little research and found this. Its a description of one of the upgrades in a Renntech Stage 2 kit for the Mercedes SLR.....a dual IC pump upgrade.

"INTERCOOLER PUMP UPGRADE KIT

Our latest second generation intercooler pump out performs any other unit on the market; flowing over twice as much coolant as the problematic OEM pump and significantly more than its predecessor. Testing showed our Intercooler pump flowed 6.60 G.P.M compared to the OEM pumps 3.00 G.P.M flow rate. This increase in flow dramatically removes heat from the incoming air; allowing for a denser air/fuel mixture and substantially cooler charge air temperatures over the entire operating range."

Its starting to look promising.

Quick Reply: Dual IC Pump setup?