2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Eaton M62 blower specs

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eaton M62 blower specs

here is the link straight to the company website, with the details of our blower! MAybe with this info, some of the engineers here can tell us in english what this gibberish means!

http://www.automotive.eaton.com/prod...argers/M62.asp
Old 06-22-2005, 01:52 AM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I was looking at this info yesterday, I was trying to figure out the max potential boost pressure of the SC. On the pulley that comes with it on our SS's it produces 12psi but the question is how much more can it go on smaller pulleys until it becomes inefficient.

Anyway, what they tell you are the basic dimentions, and show you a few charts. Delta P = change in pressure.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by MarcS
On the pulley that comes with it on our SS's it produces 12psi but the question is how much more can it go on smaller pulleys until it becomes inefficient.

Good question, if anyone out there knows the answer please post it for the rest of us.
TIA!
Old 06-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Banned

I wrote an e-mail (see below), I'm sure they will write back with an answer

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is Mike, I am inquiring about the Eaton M62 Blower. I recently purchased a 2005 Chevy Cobalt Super Sport that has the M62 Blower installed on my Ecotec 2.0L motor factory Direct from GM. By default, GM offered max PSI of 12 lbs/sq in on this setup. My question is how efficient would the supercharger be if more boost was applied from the supercharger to the motor.
My understanding that most superchargers can run a pretty good amount of boost depending on the setup/application to almost 20PSI. I was looking for specifications and tolerances of the supercharger to see it's max power just before it just generates a mass amount of heat without yielding results. I do realize that by pushing more out of the supercharger may have negative impact on operations depending what I am doing. Do you think this M62 is capable of running 18PSI? Any information is greatly appreciated. By the way the webpage doesn't yield too much information on anything past 10PSI.

Sincerely,

Mike Exelby
Old 06-24-2005, 03:27 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sneaky
I wrote an e-mail (see below), I'm sure they will write back with an answer

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is Mike, I am inquiring about the Eaton M62 Blower. I recently purchased a 2005 Chevy Cobalt Super Sport that has the M62 Blower installed on my Ecotec 2.0L motor factory Direct from GM. By default, GM offered max PSI of 12 lbs/sq in on this setup. My question is how efficient would the supercharger be if more boost was applied from the supercharger to the motor.
My understanding that most superchargers can run a pretty good amount of boost depending on the setup/application to almost 20PSI. I was looking for specifications and tolerances of the supercharger to see it's max power just before it just generates a mass amount of heat without yielding results. I do realize that by pushing more out of the supercharger may have negative impact on operations depending what I am doing. Do you think this M62 is capable of running 18PSI? Any information is greatly appreciated. By the way the webpage doesn't yield too much information on anything past 10PSI.

Sincerely,

Mike Exelby
Well written! let us know if you get a response.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:40 PM

Any answer from this previous e-mail sent to Eaton ?
Old 12-06-2005, 02:17 PM

*sigh*

with a roots style blower, its not about psi. running 18 psi would not be a good thing anyways. When your engine becomes more efficient (exhaust/cams/head/etc) boost will drop even though performance will be increased. No matter what the m62 will push x amount of air for a given pulley size. PSI is the measure of resistance of the air trying to get in. When putting in heads or a cam, the air can travel more freely and thus the psi is dropped.

for instance:
someone could have a 2.8 pulley and piggyback and run 15 psi
while someone else could be running a 2.7 pulley, a piggyback and cams and still be making 15 psi

why? because the cams allow air to move more freely and thus lower boost. The lower pulley adds more boost.

another example is
person A: 2.8 and piggyback = 15 psi
person B: 2.8 piggyback, cams= 12 psi

is Person B slower because they have less PSI? no. The X amount of air the blower is producing is just finding its way into the engine easier than person A's. Same amount of air is being thrown into each engine, its just the easier (lower psi) to get air into person B's motor than A's.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stuffy236
*sigh*

with a roots style blower, its not about psi. running 18 psi would not be a good thing anyways. When your engine becomes more efficient (exhaust/cams/head/etc) boost will drop even though performance will be increased. No matter what the m62 will push x amount of air for a given pulley size. PSI is the measure of resistance of the air trying to get in. When putting in heads or a cam, the air can travel more freely and thus the psi is dropped.

for instance:
someone could have a 2.8 pulley and piggyback and run 15 psi
while someone else could be running a 2.7 pulley, a piggyback and cams and still be making 15 psi

why? because the cams allow air to move more freely and thus lower boost. The lower pulley adds more boost.

another example is
person A: 2.8 and piggyback = 15 psi
person B: 2.8 piggyback, cams= 12 psi

is Person B slower because they have less PSI? no. The X amount of air the blower is producing is just finding its way into the engine easier than person A's. Same amount of air is being thrown into each engine, its just the easier (lower psi) to get air into person B's motor than A's.
Well written. A good goal which I am trying to do is I/H/E w/cams a 2.8 pulley and stage 2. Probably 15 pounds of boost and around 300 hp while not working the blower too hard.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am pretty sure that with any forced induction it's not all about just boost levels.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
I am pretty sure that with any forced induction it's not all about just boost levels.
Definitely. That's the #1 mistake people always make when talking about this car. More boost is not necessarily a good thing. In fact, fundamentally, boost is a measure of RESTRICTION - of air that's NOT getting into your engine. If you have 18psi of boost, all that means is that you're trying really hard to ram air someplace that it doesn't want to go. To just keep slapping on smaller pulleys to "shove" it where it doesn't want to go is ultimately self-defeating. You'd be way better off looking at some more freely flowing cams, or a better head, or something of that sort that will actually help you move the air without just creating huge backpressure, heat, etc.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:43 AM
JCX

Originally Posted by zinner
100% correct. A boost gauge is not a power gauge.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:11 AM

You want more cfm of air.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by DanM
Definitely. That's the #1 mistake people always make when talking about this car. More boost is not necessarily a good thing. In fact, fundamentally, boost is a measure of RESTRICTION - of air that's NOT getting into your engine. If you have 18psi of boost, all that means is that you're trying really hard to ram air someplace that it doesn't want to go. To just keep slapping on smaller pulleys to "shove" it where it doesn't want to go is ultimately self-defeating. You'd be way better off looking at some more freely flowing cams, or a better head, or something of that sort that will actually help you move the air without just creating huge backpressure, heat, etc.
Wow, you must be related to my tech class instructor. We just went over roots superchargers last week in class and I swear he said almost the exact same thing lol.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:46 AM

Yes the more PSI you can get into a cylinder then the more power you can get out. Also the better you can get the enter system to flow the more power you can get. Think of a diesel motor Some of the tractor pulling tractors push 100 psi or more into the engine. Simply put " the more air and fuel you can get in during the compression strok the more power. They also flow really well too of course when you see them spool up the smoke stack billows out the exhaust gasses really high. Also simply put " the better an engine can flow the less restrictions you have and hence more power. There is a lot of working in getting more power from boosting. Flow, PSI, Cooling, timing.... I do not know of the true formula but I know they all can help produce more HP. Just remember that the higher your PSI goes the more you will have to cool it to run pump gas. Also the engine internals need to handle the extra boost pressure. let us see if we can do the math ourselves. Simple questions are: At what rpm does the M62 reach it's max CFM? What is the ration form the crank pulley to the M62 pulley? IF the M62 is at max then how much temp will need to be dropped on charged side before it goes in to the engine so that you can run on pump gas? If you can find the number so this then it would be just a matter of fuel rations....

I hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:10 AM

I noticed all of this when i put on my 3 inch header...i was at 18lbs with a 2.8 pulley, intake, exhaust, 60lb injectors, and a tune....i put on my header which was double the factory header and my boost went down to 14.5 lbs i called zzp and several other shops and they told me this is normal it just means the header was WAY more efficient.......with all said and done i put down 268HP and 238TQ
Old 07-30-2008, 06:11 AM

Holy Old Ass Thread Batman
Old 07-30-2008, 06:22 AM

lol. you could consider this ancient
Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Bannned

yep, tit
Old 07-30-2008, 07:05 AM

Thread older than my existence, tagged for home
Old 07-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Banned

omfg this thread was older than old.....

i was plotting graphs on the old SC porting argument a while back as well as some intake manifold stuff.... here is an idea of effeciencies. These are projected and wont be 100% but its good enough for you to visiualize the fail.....

typically a 2.8 is reaching the ineffeciency range

if i remember correctly the 2.5 pulley is 20% effecient at 8k engine rpm

i didnt use the blower's rpm because it was easier to explain in terms of calculating the engine rpm vs the pulley vs the blower rpm on my own courtesy of whoever gave me the chart

Last edited by rrutter81; 07-30-2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-30-2008, 09:51 AM

thats a good idea and wow these things are not very good when you pulley down... any idea how efficient they are with stock pulley
Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned

guestimating here since i dont have omega's chart

54% at 7000 RPM if the blower is spinning

7000 engine rpm with stock pulley = 13,500 (guess part)

too lazy to double check but its in the ballpark. If im wrong about the engine rpm vs the blower rpm, just check what 13,500 rpm on the eaton is and compare it to the engine rpm with a stock pulley. Then replace my 7,000 rpm statement with the one found.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:03 AM

Okay... well heres my idea... I understand that boost doesnt mean better... But going with the example of the 2.8 with no cams / 2.7 with cams being the same boost... now if theyre at both say, 15.. if the 2.8 added cams he would go down to about 12.5, right? If the 2.7 lost boost he would too... Now your saying that it wouldnt be a good idea, heat mods installed, to change from a 2.8 to a 2.7 pulley to produce the boost you lost? More freely flowing cams with pressurized air cannot hurt?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ShortStack
Okay... well heres my idea... I understand that boost doesnt mean better... But going with the example of the 2.8 with no cams / 2.7 with cams being the same boost... now if theyre at both say, 15.. if the 2.8 added cams he would go down to about 12.5, right? If the 2.7 lost boost he would too... Now your saying that it wouldnt be a good idea, heat mods installed, to change from a 2.8 to a 2.7 pulley to produce the boost you lost? More freely flowing cams with pressurized air cannot hurt?
now your talking about actual CFM...which is different than what i discussed about the eaton blower.

psi is just wasted cfm the eaton produced that the engine cant "eat". more CFM = more "eaten" (eaton?) = more potential hp. Start over spinning the blower with more air you create heat, now the molecules expand greatly and the atoms that were required for detonation are less per volume....eg they are less densely packed. so the problem comes in to account that you will hit a bellcurve where the heat generated is removing power you could have gained as well as destroying your engine.

to understand what i am talking about.... go outside in the heat of the day and blow up a balloon. Throw the balloon in the freezer for 10 minutes.

It will shrink so much that it looks like it was deflated. but the same amount of molecules required for detonation/fire are there. This is where people using just cooling mods are gaining their power instead of "brute force" methods.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:17 AM

Very very well put... Basically the air will be so thin it wont really be pressure at all, just heated air? It makes sense when its put like that.... Once again science prevails to the over-boosters brittle attempts to make his cobalt faster ...

Quick Reply: Eaton M62 blower specs