2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Eaton TVS superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eaton TVS superchargers

Wrote to Eaton today to find out if there new TVS superchargers would fit the cobalt and this is the answer I got.

As of now the TVS would not bolt up directly
However I do know our aftermarket partners are working on TVS upgrades
for your application
Please keep an eye on our web site for product announcements
Regards

I think this would be a pretty good supercharger upgrade for the ss sc. What do you all think?
Old 07-12-2007, 12:33 AM

I got invited to Eaton's private track day in Milan, MI. last month by Intense. So I took the oppurtunity to talk to Eaton about the TVS. Of course the guys I talked to didn't know much about it but said keep an eye out for the applications on the Magnuson(spelling) website. So i'm hoping thats a hint that they are working on it. I know it will be a great swap for our cars. Also picked up a flyer about it and whats different.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:41 AM

It's still a roots style blower which will likely lead to the same problems we have with the M62. But that is my $.02 that nobody wanted to listen to in the other threads about this.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Supercharged
It's still a roots style blower which will likely lead to the same problems we have with the M62. But that is my $.02 that nobody wanted to listen to in the other threads about this.

That is true, but I know a company that has a proto type of this and it added 30whp on a stock SS/SC by just bolting it on. I would love to just bolt on 30whp.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:45 AM

You can. It's called Stage 2 and doesn't cost as much.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:56 AM
Banned

Hell with a TVS. I'll take an M90
Old 07-12-2007, 02:01 AM

What makes a TVS supercharger so special?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:17 AM

it's basically just a twin screw.

look at the air flow plots from the m62, m90 and the new tvs and you'll see the difference it makes.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:43 AM

Hell with the TVS AND the M90, I'll take a W140AX
Old 07-12-2007, 03:02 AM
syP

hell with that.. ill take a Kenne Belle 2.6...

haha
Old 07-12-2007, 09:07 AM

To hell with all that..ill take the whipple 3.3!
Old 07-12-2007, 09:11 AM

i want the kenne bell supposedly tnt is working on it...
Old 07-12-2007, 09:13 AM

If I remember correctly, the TVS was thermally more efficient than a twin screw in respect to pressure ratios, however still quite less than a similar sized turbo. Superchargers generally don't like high PRs and on a small displacement 4 banger, the only way to achive high horsepower levels is running air in amounts with significantly higher pressure than ambient. Its the entire reason why an M90 swap would actually make less power on our cars.

I don't have any compressor maps in front of me...just going off what I remember.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:18 AM

I agree with Witt. The higher PRs are going to make more power. If its built like a twin screw then it better at holding/making higher PRs. But I think for the money. A centifical or turbo will be better off and happier with the resalts.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All the TVS info you need!

Next Generation Eaton TVS Supercharger Provides Bigger Boost in Smaller Package.

SOUTHFIELD, Mich.--Diversified industrial manufacturer Eaton Corporation today unveiled its newest generation of Roots-type supercharger design that will allow automakers to use smaller, more efficient compressors to create more engine boost. The company unveiled the new design, called Twin Vortices Series (TVS™) at the Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association (SEMA) tradeshow in Las Vegas.

“We think the TVS™ is a game changer that will allow our customers to make more horsepower without the traditional engineering tradeoffs,” said Jeff Romig, vice president and general manager of Eaton’s supercharger business. “The TVS design has remarkably improved efficiencies and broadens the performance range of the supercharger across an engine’s entire performance range.”

The new patented TVS™ design features four-lobe rotors and high-flow inlet and outlet ports that greatly enhance thermal efficiency, enabling greater volumetric capacity at higher revolutions per minute (RPM). Previous Eaton Roots-type designs featured only three-lobe rotor assemblies. The new TVS™ supercharger design is scalable and adaptable to virtually all engine designs.

The TVS™ supercharger design builds on Eaton’s market leadership position of designing and manufacturing Roots-type superchargers for premiere automotive brands.
The first original equipment application of an Eaton supercharger debuted on the 1989 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe. Since, Eaton superchargers have appeared on the Buick Park Avenue UltraTM, Buick RegalTM, Pontiac Grand PrixTM, Ford Mustang Cobra SVTTM and the Ford Lightening SVTTM. The current generation of Eaton supercharger is available on the MINI Cooper STM, Jaguar XKRTM, Range Rover SportTM, Cadillac STS-VTM, Cadillac XLR-VTM, Chevrolet Cobalt SSTM, Saturn Ion RedlineTM and the Mustang Shelby GT500TM.

Eaton has development programs underway with several automakers to incorporate the TVS™ into future vehicle programs and it is working with its aftermarket partners to make the TVS™ technology available to performance enthusiast in 2007.

Eaton Corporation is a diversified industrial manufacturer with 2005 sales of $11.1 billion. Eaton is a global leader in electrical systems and components for power quality, distribution and control; fluid power systems and services for industrial, mobile and aircraft equipment; intelligent truck drivetrain systems for safety and fuel economy; and automotive engine air management systems, powertrain solutions and specialty controls for performance, fuel economy and safety. Eaton has 60,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 125 countries. For more information, visit http://www.eatonperformance.com/superchargers/TVS.html.

Eaton’s new Twin Vortices Series (TVS) is a roots-type supercharger for a variety of engine applications that delivers more power and better fuel economy in a smaller package, for uncompromising, high-performance driving.

The TVS supercharger’s patented design features four-lobe rotors and high-flow inlet and outlet ports that greatly enhance thermal efficiency, deliver higher volumetric capacity, and enable higher operating speeds. The TVS supercharger is capable of running with a high thermal efficiency (up to 76 percent) across a very wide operating range.

The improvements incorporated into the TVS design allow for the use of a smaller supercharger, reducing the package size and weight of the system. The sizes range from 350cc to 2300cc per revolution, and cover engines from 0.6 liter up to large displacement V-engines. All TVS superchargers have a 2.4 pressure ratio capability and a thermal efficiency that exceeds 70 percent, which enables more compact packaging and greater output.

The twin four-lobe rotors feature 160-degree twists. The higher helix angle of the rotors coupled with a redesigned inlet and outlet ports, improves the TVS’s air-handling characteristics without increasing the overall size of the unit. The TVS improved noise and vibration characteristics eliminate additional noise-reduction treatments, complexity and system cost.

Nov 1, 2006
Source: Eaton Corporation
Old 07-12-2007, 10:33 AM

I have plenty of time until my 75k bumper to bumper warnity is gone. So, I'll sit back and watch and hope in a few years I can pull my motor, do internal work and do a blower swap. Will Rock hardcore!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Blown 4-banger
Hell with the TVS AND the M90, I'll take a W140AX
You guys do realize I wasn't (was not) joking right?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys do realize I wasn't (was not) joking right?
I know you're not joking. That is the best Whipple by far. Most bang for the size.

SUPERCHARGER SIZES

Description
Liters
Max RPM
Max CFM
Max PSI
Peak VE
Peak AE

W140AX

W200AX

W200R

W305AX

W305R
Old 07-12-2007, 04:52 PM

I just think this would be the easiest supercharger to swap out with and see very good results.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueSSupercharged
I just think this would be the easiest supercharger to swap out with and see very good results.
Better question is how much does the TVS cost
Old 07-12-2007, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Onyxd04Redline
Hell with a TVS. I'll take an M90
The problem with a roots blower is it does not like the high pressure at all, but especially lower speeds. To get the CFM we need would require the M90 to be spun slower resulting in it being even less efficient than the M62.

Originally Posted by Witt
If I remember correctly, the TVS was thermally more efficient than a twin screw in respect to pressure ratios, however still quite less than a similar sized turbo. Superchargers generally don't like high PRs and on a small displacement 4 banger, the only way to achive high horsepower levels is running air in amounts with significantly higher pressure than ambient. Its the entire reason why an M90 swap would actually make less power on our cars.

I don't have any compressor maps in front of me...just going off what I remember.
I don't understand how it can be more thermally efficient than the twin screw when it is still lacks internal compression. I can see the Hi-Helix 4 tip rotors promoting volumetric efficiency, but not thermal efficiency since it compress the air the exact same way the M62 does. I brought that up in the other threads on this subject and the only response I got the compressor maps.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Supercharged
The problem with a roots blower is it does not like the high pressure at all, but especially lower speeds. To get the CFM we need would require the M90 to be spun slower resulting in it being even less efficient than the M62.

I don't understand how it can be more thermally efficient than the twin screw when it is still lacks internal compression. I can see the Hi-Helix 4 tip rotors promoting volumetric efficiency, but not thermal efficiency since it compress the air the exact same way the M62 does. I brought that up in the other threads on this subject and the only response I got the compressor maps.
The TVS, according to Eaton functions at a thermal efficiency of over 70% because of it's added lobe, helix twists and inlet and outlet design. The twin screw functions at 70-80% according to a few websites I visited. Here are the two excerpts:

"The improvements incorporated into the TVS design allow for the use of a smaller supercharger, reducing the package size and weight of the system. The sizes range from 350cc to 2300cc per revolution, and cover engines from 0.6 liter up to large displacement V-engines. All TVS superchargers have a 2.4 pressure ratio capability and a thermal efficiency that exceeds 70 percent, which enables more compact packaging and greater output.

The twin four-lobe rotors feature 160-degree twists. The higher helix angle of the rotors coupled with a redesigned inlet and outlet ports, improves the TVS’s air-handling characteristics without increasing the overall size of the unit. The TVS improved noise and vibration characteristics eliminate additional noise-reduction treatments, complexity and system cost."

"The twin-screw supercharger has many of the benefits of the Roots supercharger but few of its disadvantages. Being a positive-displacement supercharger it produces excellent boost at low RPM but it has a much better thermal efficiency of 70-80% compared to the 50-60% of the Roots supercharger. The improved thermal efficiency makes the twin-screw supercharger ideal for applications that require medium to high boost with good boost from low RPMs."
Old 07-12-2007, 09:55 PM

Yeah those compressor maps are showing the temp the air exits the blower. True is exits at a decently cool temp, but since its packin air into the manifold, THAT is where all the heat is made.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:09 PM

Cobalt Supercharged:

Here is a description of why an added lobe increases thermal efficiency; it's because it reduces back flow.

"A blower with two lobe rotors can pump more air than one with three lobe rotors, but it will also experience more "backflow" which reduces pumping efficiency compared to a three lobe design. Straight cut two and three lobe rotors can also be quite noisy, so that's why some blowers use the twisted flute three rotor design (typical of the OEM superchargers made by Eaton that Ford and GM have used over the years). A twisted flute rotor opens to the manifold cavity more gradually as it turns, which reduces backflow and the pressure waves that create noise."

Yeah those compressor maps are showing the temp the air exits the blower. True is exits at a decently cool temp, but since its packin air into the manifold, THAT is where all the heat is made.
True, but even though a twinscrew compresses internally it's charge is still compressed in the intake manifold as well but with a lower outlet temp than a coventional roots. If both the TVS and the twin screw function at a similar efficiency range then the air in the intake manifold should be very close between the two. Reguardless of how they achieve their level of thermal efficiency, if they have X efficiency at X pressure ratio on the same engine the air should be the same between two compressors. At least this is how I interpret it, is this correct?

Last edited by Mikey851; 07-12-2007 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-12-2007, 10:46 PM

^^ Yeah I just re-read the part about the "backflow" or as it it is labeled in the book "carryback".

2.4 Bar is ~20.6 psi which is what we are already seeing on the M62. Granted it should require less spinning to create that since the volumetric efficiency is better, but I don't think it will compare to the twin-screw.

Straight from the book Supercharged by Corky Bell:

Originally Posted by Corky Bell in Supercharged
(regarding the roots style)One of the consequences of no internal compression ratio is the production of more heat...Roots blowers created by Eaton have brought thermal efficiency into an acceptable range, although it still lags the twin-screw and centrifugal. pg. 48

(regarding the twin-screw)The twin-screw's ability to pump its internal volume of of air per revolution approaches 95% at low pressures. Volumetric efficiency drops off as the pressue ratio rises, just as with the Roots. At pressures ratios near 3.0 (30 psi boost), the volumetric efficiency of the twin-screw can as low as 80%.

Of the fixed-displacement supercharged, only the twin-screw is comfortable with pressure ratios much in excess of 2. The relatively high thermal efficiency permits higher boost and doesn't offer a clear boost limit that would dictate when the charge has become too hot to be of further practical use. To take advantage of this high boost pressure is another story and calls for serious engine prep. pg. 89

Quick Reply: Eaton TVS superchargers