ebay header/downpipe - Cobalt SS Network

2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

ebay header/downpipe

Reply

 
 
 
Old 07-26-2017, 03:35 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-24-17
Location: Oregon
Posts: 453
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ebay header/downpipe

does the stock exhaust have a pre and post cat o2 sensor?

i'm looking at the ebay headers cause im super cheap and it has bungs on in both places.

but i also notice that the zzp longtube comes with a o2 extension...?
Johnny Bliss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:40 PM
  #2  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-24-17
Location: Oregon
Posts: 453
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
the stock exhaust is 2.5" and the outlet of the ebay header/downpipe is 2.75? how would that even bolt up. it looks like its actually 2.5 and would both directly to the stock cat back
Johnny Bliss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:40 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 02-03-16
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,732
Thanked 116 Times in 112 Posts
Yes it has at least both. Pre-cat o2 sensor monitors fuel mixture and post cat o2 is for emissions to let your computer know that your cat is working correctly. I seem to remember something about the LSJ having a wideband pre-cat o2 sensor but am not sure on that.

ZZP provides an extension because with longtube header it shifts the o2 sensor much further to the rear than on the stock manifold it is difficult for it to reach without it.
jdbaugh1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:42 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-24-17
Location: Oregon
Posts: 453
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 View Post
Yes it has at least both. Pre-cat o2 sensor monitors fuel mixture and post cat o2 is for emissions to let your computer know that your cat is working correctly. I seem to remember something about the LSJ having a wideband pre-cat o2 sensor but am not sure on that.
it would make sense because of it being boosted.

its hard in some of these ebay picutres to see everything.

the ebay headers all say the downpipe exit is 2.75 when the stock cat back is 2.5

i guess it won't bolt up??
Johnny Bliss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:45 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-24-17
Location: Oregon
Posts: 453
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
maybe the ads are talking the outlet of the header into the downpipe is 2.75"
Johnny Bliss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:45 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 02-03-16
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,732
Thanked 116 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Bliss View Post
it would make sense because of it being boosted.

its hard in some of these ebay picutres to see everything.

the ebay headers all say the downpipe exit is 2.75 when the stock cat back is 2.5

i guess it won't bolt up??
What matters for bolting up is your downpipe exit flange size. I think you know you are rolling the dice with ebay stuff "bolting up" any way you look at it.
jdbaugh1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:46 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-24-17
Location: Oregon
Posts: 453
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ahh i can see in the pictures now the downpipe narrows down to 2.5" right where it bolts to the stock cat back
Johnny Bliss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:47 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-24-17
Location: Oregon
Posts: 453
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 View Post
What matters for bolting up is your downpipe exit flange. I think you know you are rolling the dice with ebay stuff "bolting up" any way you look at it.

id rather have to modified the ebay stuff then spend 400-600 for a header. not going to happen

600/10hp = $60 per hp LOL
Johnny Bliss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:53 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 02-03-16
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,732
Thanked 116 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Bliss View Post
id rather have to modified the ebay stuff then spend 400-600 for a header. not going to happen

600/10hp = $60 per hp LOL
I'm not telling you not to, just saying ebay stuff is what it is. Typically the cheaper the kit the more "modifying" you have to do to make it work. Also, the material quality typically isn't as good with thinner walls so sometimes you have to re-weld them down the road.
jdbaugh1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:02 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-24-17
Location: Oregon
Posts: 453
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thanks
Johnny Bliss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:44 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-21-11
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,685
Thanked 34 Times in 34 Posts
Flex pipe on those are garbage. I've seen 3 people with them and theirs blew in months. And the stock exhaust is 2.25 in the largest area.
chevygirl2006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:51 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-24-17
Location: Oregon
Posts: 453
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They are definitely hit and miss.

I had a eBay flex pipe on a twin turbo mustang setup and it latest but it wasn't very flexible at all lol
Johnny Bliss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:20 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 01-30-13
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,758
Thanked 127 Times in 106 Posts
One of our older members did a review on this years ago. Basically he had to fix a couple welds and supply better gaskets, but said it was pretty solid overall.
double clutch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:12 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-21-11
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,685
Thanked 34 Times in 34 Posts
That's a mustang. I'm just telling you that specific one made for cobalts has bad pieces on it. Why not just spend a bit more on something quality that will last instead of buying cheap parts you will probably keep having to replace. Pay once.
chevygirl2006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:25 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 02-03-16
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,732
Thanked 116 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by chevygirl2006 View Post
That's a mustang. I'm just telling you that specific one made for cobalts has bad pieces on it. Why not just spend a bit more on something quality that will last instead of buying cheap parts you will probably keep having to replace. Pay once.
As I always say buy once, cry once. Ultimately what has happened when I tried to use cheap parts I ended up buying the more expensive option down the road anyway.
jdbaugh1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:32 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 01-30-13
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,758
Thanked 127 Times in 106 Posts
They are both made in china so they cant be too far off.
double clutch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:59 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-24-17
Location: Oregon
Posts: 453
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
it wasn't specifically made for a mustang i just bought the actual piece by itself and welded up my own hot side. back then they didn't have pre fabbed ching chong kits for mustangs lol.

they are all made from the same place i'm sure they are shitty but it'll work.
Johnny Bliss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:31 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 01-30-13
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,758
Thanked 127 Times in 106 Posts
I was talking about the zzp and ching chong header. zzp sources some of their stuff from china. I wouldnt be suprised if their longtube was as well.
double clutch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:52 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 02-03-16
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,732
Thanked 116 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by double clutch View Post
I was talking about the zzp and ching chong header. zzp sources some of their stuff from china. I wouldnt be suprised if their longtube was as well.
There is a difference between things made in China and Chinese knock-offs. Quality parts can be made in China anymore.
jdbaugh1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:52 PM
  #20  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: 09-29-06
Location: Land of Freedom
Posts: 22,885
Thanked 145 Times in 116 Posts
i made good verified numbers with a badmab
07MetallicSC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:01 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 01-30-13
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,758
Thanked 127 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 View Post
There is a difference between things made in China and Chinese knock-offs. Quality parts can be made in China anymore.
Oh believe me, I know. Many people say craftsman is junk now because they are made in china. I always have to explain that just because it is from china, doesn't mean they cannot make quality parts.

In the case of zzp, there have been many complaints about the casting of dual pass endplates. I know alot of the grand prix guys had issues with their headers flange being out of whack. Not to say they don't make good parts, but they have had issues of their own.
double clutch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:04 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-21-11
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,685
Thanked 34 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC View Post
i made good verified numbers with a badmab
Mine cracked in a few years. Same spots a lot of reported people claimed.
chevygirl2006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:14 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 02-03-16
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,732
Thanked 116 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by double clutch View Post
Oh believe me, I know. Many people say craftsman is junk now because they are made in china. I always have to explain that just because it is from china, doesn't mean they cannot make quality parts.

In the case of zzp, there have been many complaints about the casting of dual pass endplates. I know alot of the grand prix guys had issues with their headers flange being out of whack. Not to say they don't make good parts, but they have had issues of their own.
I have their LT header which I honestly think is a quality piece and have not had any issues with it. Now their dual pass end plate that I have did not seal around on of the press fit nipples when new and I had to fix it with water weld (they sent me a replacement unit but I wasn't patient enough to wait for it). They have had certain batches of products with issues but I think for the most part they try to correct problems moving forward.
jdbaugh1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:19 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 01-30-13
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,758
Thanked 127 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 View Post
I have their LT header which I honestly think is a quality piece and have not had any issues with it. Now their dual pass end plate that I have did not seal around on of the press fit nipples when new and I had to fix it with water weld (they sent me a replacement unit but I wasn't patient enough to wait for it). They have had certain batches of products with issues but I think for the most part they try to correct problems moving forward.
Yea no doubt. Im not trying to bad mouth zzp here. They always correct their mistakes. Just pointing out the facts.
double clutch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:59 PM
  #25  
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 11-03-14
Location: Virginia
Posts: 285
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I bought a ZZP shorty header and their downpipe about 6 months ago and when I went to bolt it up to my exhaust it was about an inch too short. I could pull the exhaust to make it mate up but it put a strain on things and I picked up some NVH from it. I contacted them and they said my exhaust must not have been stock (it was). I was going to get one of their exhausts anyway but that kind of forced my hand. They did give me a little discount on it. Not bad mouthing them at all as their customer service is great but I guess my point is their stuff isn't always perfect either.

I had a 92 Sentra Se-r years ago that I bought an ebay header and intermediate pipe (downpipe) for and it fit without any problems. You never really know what you're going to get nowadays but I guess at least with a reputable company they usually try to correct any issue you may have.
jmix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread