2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Engine Power Reduced...This car Sucks..!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine Power Reduced...This car Sucks..!?

06 ss/sc with about 70,000 miles, actually my wifes car, engine power reduced came on once with her, and then with me in it, she's been driving a different car for the last week and the ss has been sitting till i could mess with it, i got some MAF cleaner....and cleaned the throttle body out cuz it did have some oily dark residue in it...haven't gotten to the actual MAF sensor..if their is one...I'm assuming that's the little piece at the end of the intake with a wiring harness hoooked into it? is this correct?...car is stock except for ebay intake which i'm about to take off and return to stock then call the dealership and have the recall fix on the catalytic converter done...
Old 06-17-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What code is it throwing...
Old 06-17-2010, 12:48 PM

not sure, always had the cel on since putting the intake on which was like....almost 2 years ago, car had always ran fine really since then...i hadn't done the ebay intake "fix" of cutting the smaller section down though so if i put the stocker back on i prolly will, but when i'd checked the code a while back it was a rich code...not lean like most people on here have talked about
Old 06-17-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
When it goes into epr it throws a code, so check that and then go from there.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:52 PM

hmmm...well it doesn't run in engine power reduced actually, it'll go into it, i or my wife pull over and shut it off cuz it's running really crappily, feels like the motor's shaking etc..., and me or her will restart it like 2 or 3 times waiting like a min or two inbetween start ups and turning it off, then it'll start and run...BUT...it's like it doesn't wanna make boost or really doesn't, the 2nd time this had happened i got on it a little to get the boost up and it went back into EPR...shut it off and started like 2 or 3 times, and it ran....not wanting to make boost, brought it home...cleaned the throttle body, drove down the road, had boost and everything, ran fine..i'm bout to go drive it and see if it kicks in ...actually i'm about to just drive the stupid POS car into the river....or not
Old 06-17-2010, 09:28 PM

well number one. take off the stupid ebay intake. that was a mistake. then bring it to the dealer, get whats broken fixed and then research anything you do for the car next time you do it. i dont get it, you drive around for years with a check engine light on and then you complain when the car doesnt run right.... wow
Old 06-17-2010, 10:36 PM

"wow" is right, this is why a lot of people don't goto forums cuz of super douches like yourself..and can you send me some pix and engineering expertise showing good solid proof the differences between a 250 dollar intake and an ebay intake...seeing as how their really big engineered....rubber elbows...and mandrel bent aluminum..please, send me that info, just pm it to me, and pm me back to back dyno pulls of an injen, an ebay intake, a fujita and the K&n on the same car, all done the same day, then i guess i'll go buy that intake ok??
Old 06-17-2010, 10:40 PM

"wow" is you leaving on a CEL for 2 years then bitching your car lost power and saying it sucks. Thats ******* "wow"

Get you CEL fixed, its probably directly linked to that stupid ebay intake. Take it off, go back to stock.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 PM

"WOW" i guess i will......any input on putting the aem dry flow back on in the stock airbox...it will fit won't it?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:00 PM

I like my ebay intake... no problems at all. you have the same perspectives on intakes as I do. piece of aluminum with rubber elbows... unless the other ones are bigger, ebay intake should match the airflow. Does sound like a MAF problem though. maybe too much oil on the cone?? idk.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:13 PM

nah, your an idiot like me man, ebay intake's suck, so does making your own exhaust, learning to weld or anything else, reTAARDS we are..i do feel bad for not buying a "company engineered" product with a sticker on it and everything..ESPECIALLY if it's manufactured in the US..like most or all edelbrock stuff is...but are the "NAME BRAND" intakes actually made in the US...anyone know??

i agree guys come on give him a break yeah he left the cel go for two years but but still he knew what the code was and what was causing it... i bought a k&n intake and it set my check engine light till i got it tuned.... but i hate to say it my intake after being installed did the same thing with the reduced engine power mode but i set a few different codes....
1. throttle position corelation out of range or something like that
2. MAF sensor out of range
3. some boost sensor not reading corectly or something
forgive me iv been tuned for over a year now and forgot what they were but i got out the scan tool at work and looked at my pid's and all was ok once tuned knock on wood never had the problem again

the knowns:

you have a cel (go to autozone and get a FREE diagnostic scan) and report the trouble codes here!
engine power reduced
you have an ebay intake.

throw the old intake back on. unless you have mods, extra air for a stock cobalt doesn't really do much, a few hp maybe. after that, disconnect your battery + and touch it to negative for a bit, this clears out the PCM then reattach the + and your codes will be cleared.

drive the car, see if problem remains. if it repeats, get the code scanned and consult knowledgeable people on this site.

could be that you're computer sees more air than it is really getting, richening up the mixture and giving you your rich code. also, check the throttle body connector for proper connectioin and wires going to it.

as for intakes... they all have the same in common: a filter attached to a tube that goes to the throttle body. different sizes yes, but to the above poster... don't assume a cheapo intake will cause severe problems like the OP is having, unless it has a shitty filter... which not only filters air from getting particles in your engine, but **** getting on the MAF, one of the critical sensors! don't trash his choice... unless of course it is the cause for the problems.

lets see what the code is, then go from there. hell, it could be a leaking fucked up injector causing richness and drivability probs, no1 can know for sure.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:35 PM

SEE!! iknew their were some sensible people on here, and yeah i believe it was a rich code the last time i had it scanned...and as far as having tuned i might do that, crazy thing is this is my wifes car....daily driver...she doesnt really have the money to do stuff to it i just figured what the hell on the intake..i'd like to make it a lot faster but my first car was a v8...and you can get junk yard ls motors for around 1500 slap it in something, tune this, do that whamoo 400 hp in a vehicle for less than 10,0000 EASILy....my wifes car was around 17,500 WHEN SHE bought it like 3 years ago....so i think it's kinda silly to spend hundreds if not over 1,000 bucks to break 220 HP AT THE WHEELS, but thanks, will do all accordingly...i'm gonnja drive it tommorrow to work and see if engine power reduced comes back up or on...the cel is on...maybe cuz of rich reading like it did about 2 years ago when I put the intake on originally, i'd read or seen on here that cutting the end piece on the intake off..where it narrows down (for some reason..??) off makes the CEL stay off....but yah, i did the battery disconect when i swapped the filters, i'm gonna drive it tommorrow to work, see if the engine power reduced comes back on if it does intakes coming off, stocker going on, prolly gonna buy a obdII scanner/tool to check and clear the code..OR i might say tough luck, ebay intake bye bye, return stocker, clear pcm and drive and maybe be happy with no CEL or any other crap going wrong on a car we're still paying off and now i've learned i'm gonna be a dad so more cost on this car is not what i want really
Old 06-17-2010, 11:41 PM

I'm sorry, but you cant go around running with a CEL for TWO years and then bitch about your car. Im sorry, you deserve whatever happens. It takes 5mins to to go autozone and get it scanned for free.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:51 PM

supercharged for life i was not bashing his choice on intakes.... i was actually agreeing with him on his earlier post saying there all in a way the same i bought the high dollar intake from k and n and had the problem with the cel like he did for a rich code... buy as for the reduced engine power there are a number of reasons as we all know that could cause this i am not saying its because of his intake at all... just get the code checked and see whats going on it may not even pertain to the intake
Old 06-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
its all about the location of the maf in the tube
Old 06-18-2010, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by slowswap
I'm with him. If you're car is openly telling you that you have a problem, you shouldn't put it off until it fails.
Exactly

My point is, its NOT the fact that he has an Ebay intake...its the fact that he bought and installed an ebay intake which triggered the CEL (per his words) and he left it on for 2 years. Sorry thats stupid. And its more than likely directly related to that ebay intake (the CEL). Just because he got it from ebay, doesnt mean its the same one you others with an ebay intake have.

...So, me telling him to check the CEL and swap out the intakes wasnt out of line...
Old 06-18-2010, 12:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have had the same probelm. 2006 with 86k on the clock.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/car-died-after-acceleration-212271/
I got a p068 (maf,map,tps correlation) i cleand the maf and it ran fine for a month but it did it again yesterday. no code or EPR tjis time. i'll check the maf again, it may be blow by wich is bad news. or it could be the crank sensor or cam sensor.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:54 AM

nolagss, i wasn't referring to you my bad. i meant above poster, as in some1 earlier in the thread. turns out a few ppl posted while i was typing my response.

anywho, yea the OP had ample time to fix it... either way, engine power reduced is never fun, i had that issue and i had my throttle body replaced under warranty... turns out the Throttle plate motor was bad and wasn't opening in regards to what the PCM was commanding.

OP needs to clean the throttle body, clean his MAF sensor, get the code scanned so he can investigate, clear the code, drive and see if it comes back. if it does with same code, it wasn't fixed and something needs to be corrected in regards to what the code issued is.

I have AllData, and I have access to mitchellondemand too so, i can look up the entire flowchart for diagnosing any and all trouble codes. the computer is throwing a bitchfit, time to see what the deal is!
Old 06-18-2010, 01:42 PM

clean throttle body, drove to work, no EPR....checking code at autozone after work
Old 06-18-2010, 02:10 PM

I'll give you some free advice.... remove the filter, take a hack saw to the intake and cut off that neck down section before the MAF, then put the filter back on.
Ta-da! Your CEL will magically not return!
Old 06-18-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Erick161
Exactly

My point is, its NOT the fact that he has an Ebay intake...its the fact that he bought and installed an ebay intake which triggered the CEL (per his words) and he left it on for 2 years. Sorry thats stupid. And its more than likely directly related to that ebay intake (the CEL). Just because he got it from ebay, doesnt mean its the same one you others with an ebay intake have.

...So, me telling him to check the CEL and swap out the intakes wasnt out of line...
i have to agree. OP, if your wife had a bad fever and told you, would you still make her work out in the sun all day? If not then you shouldnt do it with your 20k+ car, if so, then you have other problems
Old 06-18-2010, 07:54 PM

I had a EPR from a slipped Cam position sensor or something which caused my CAT to implode on itself and gave me the EPR all over again. EPR can be from many things. Get the Codes read, there is more then one mostlikely.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:34 PM

p0172
p0068
p0182

i know one's rich prolly cuz of intake, one's throttle position sensor i think which pisses me off because i asked a question on here and got smart ass answers of how it unplugs from the throttle body, does the purple plug come out or does that stay on the black piece and all that unplug from the throttle body? cuz i guess maybe the wires on it might be a little loose or something from struggling to unplug it...i didn't get it unplugged and cleaned the throttle body while holding onto it..how's it unplug? also how do you clear the pCm ? just unhoook the battery cables and wait a little bit?.....also...this might sound kinda dumb,...but never done it but to clean the MAF...just pull it outta the intake tube and spray with the MAF cleaner right..??it's all small and expensive looking

Quick Reply: Engine Power Reduced...This car Sucks..!?