2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

GM performance upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SEMA is the first week in November.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:40 PM

I don't know where you guys are hearing this stuff. I just talked to my GM rep yesterday, he said there are no plans for an upgrade kit anytime soon
Old 07-29-2005, 05:59 PM

A GM Seller here in Canada said to me that they tested the Stage 2 for the Cobalt, it was successfull, I don't know when it will arrive, but it will be 1000$ CAN and it's suppose to bring up the HP's from 205 to 300,... On warranty!!
Old 07-29-2005, 06:01 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Domtar
A GM Seller here in Canada said to me that they tested the Stage 2 for the Cobalt, it was successfull, I don't know when it will arrive, but it will be 1000$ CAN and it's suppose to bring up the HP's from 205 to 300,... On warranty!!
300bhp? Thats on-par with mopar's stage 3 for the SRT4. I'll beleive it when I see it
Old 07-29-2005, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by MarcS
300bhp? That on-par with mopar's stage 3 for the SRT4. I'll beleive it when I see it
Yeah, that's REALLY high for a stage 2 upgrade. And the price seems incredibly low...$1k Canadian is $815.86 US...if we can get 300hp under warranty for that price I am IN ...just doesn't seem realistic though. How much were the Mopar Stage 3's?
Old 07-29-2005, 08:44 PM
Proud Playstation 3 Owner

Originally Posted by MarcS
300bhp? That on-par with mopar's stage 3 for the SRT4. I'll beleive it when I see it
I seconded that.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:57 PM

The stage 3 from Mopar is from what I read, about 3000$ and brings them up to 300 ponies.. I was hoping the stage 2 would be in the 1 to 2 thousand dollar range, but hey, 900$ for 100 horses I'll do no problem. I did read that the mopar upgrades were not for emisions controled vehicles.....is that true? Cause I would be glad I moved out here without the air checking things...

Anyway, I'll just wait till November for SEMA and then till Jan or Feb and see what my options are....

By the way, anyone? Can these stages be added after you buy the car? like a 03 SRT-4 and just get it done in 05? Or does it have to be done before you take possesion?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Adam
I don't know where you guys are hearing this stuff. I just talked to my GM rep yesterday, he said there are no plans for an upgrade kit anytime soon
This just goes to show you that some people---even a GM employee do not know everything that happens in the company.

There are enough rumours out there and as they say, "Wheres there smoke, theres fire"

They have to be experimenting and thinking about it. GM knows all about Mopar upgrades.
And to really be a players in the facory sport compacts they must offer a factroy upgrade.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS SChgd
The stage 3 from Mopar is from what I read, about 3000$ and brings them up to 300 ponies.. I was hoping the stage 2 would be in the 1 to 2 thousand dollar range, but hey, 900$ for 100 horses I'll do no problem. I did read that the mopar upgrades were not for emisions controled vehicles.....is that true? Cause I would be glad I moved out here without the air checking things...
Yea, apparently the Mopar Stage 3 kit is not for sale on "pollution controlled" vehicles. Of course every registered vehicle in the country is "pollution controlled", so what they are basically saying is that the Stage 3 is only for off-road use, like on track-only race cars. But if you live in a state where there is no required vehicle inspection, nobody's going to bother you about it

By the way, anyone? Can these stages be added after you buy the car? like a 03 SRT-4 and just get it done in 05? Or does it have to be done before you take possesion?
Yep, the stages can be added after you buy the car without a problem. Basically you can just order it through the dealer and have them install it, or it might even be possible to do it yourself. Even when you order a stage kit when you purchase the car, its not installed at the factory - the dealer just installs it before you pick the car up
Old 07-29-2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by avro206
This just goes to show you that some people---even a GM employee do not know everything that happens in the company.
I hate to say this because my family has been selling GMs for years, but sometimes the salesmen are the biggest offenders. Some dealerships have great employees who are very knowledgable and trustworthy and others have idiots working for them. Case in point: the guy who sold me my SS tried to convince me that the motor was made by Honda........
Old 07-29-2005, 11:46 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by alleycat58
the guy who sold me my SS tried to convince me that the motor was made by Honda........
lol maybe he secretly worked for Honda and was trying to persuade you to get an Accord instead
Old 07-29-2005, 11:49 PM
Banned

Since CobaltSS.net is such a large online community isn't there someone at GM that we could contact that will give us a 100% bullshit free answer?

Instead of all of these guesses, maybes and other hope building responses.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:42 AM

i work for a chevy dealer and if there are any other people who have acess to service know-how videos they talk about the stage one and stage two in the new model features 2005 chevy cobalt october 2004. they say the stage one is a smaller pully and a recal putting the hp in the 230-240 range. the stage 2 has some more engine mods and a higher output clutch and put New Model Features 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - October 2004.
here is a copy of where they talked about it in the video. i got this from the gmtraining.com web site.

Title: New Model Features 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - October 2004
Author: 10280.22D
[58:33] [Rating: * * * * ]

16. Q & A

Okay, so far, we've covered a decent amount of information for you and we want to make sure that you're up to speed.
So, if you have any questions for us on what I've covered, definitely encourage you to call in by pressing your call button.
And, to help out with this first call-in session, I'd like to introduce our two guests that are joining me.
First, we have Ken Wasmer and we have Ryan Brown.
Now, Ryan is the HVAC and Powertrain Cooling System Engineering Team Leader.
Ken is a Program Engineering Manager for small cars at GM's Performance Division.
Now, we also have Chris Case joining us from offsite.
He's from the Performance Division as well, Service Program Manager.
And he can help answer and field any of your questions also.
So, while we're waiting to see if anyone has any calls on your end, let's talk to Ken here.
Ken, on the Cobalt SS supercharged models, is there anything or any advice you can give us if our customers want to get a little more performance out of their vehicle?
[B] In the 200 market, we expect people are going to want to increase the horsepower of their vehicles.
We are coming up with stage 1, stage 2 kits that we're going to actually start showing at SEMA this year in November to increase horsepower. We've developed those at track and we'll be announcing pricing probably in the December time frame.
Okay, as you said, Ken, the 200 market, they're going to be interested in this type of vehicle.
And is there anything that they have to do to make this Cobalt SS supercharged model track-ready?
We've tested the vehicle actually on many racetracks around the United States and around the world including the Nurburgring in Germany.
We feel the car is very track-capable and so forth.
However, for long, extended track usages, we have seen a few items which we will be offering a service grease kit.

That is a higher temperature grease to insure that longer-duration running on the track is capable.
And, again, if you have any questions, we encourage you to call in with them so we can make sure that you're up to speed.
Now, Ryan, let's talk about this separate cooling system here that we saw the video on.
Can you tell us what kind of system pressure will we see or can we expect?
Well, the engine cooling system operates around 15 PSI.
The intercooler cooling system operates at only 5 PSI.
We also saw that that intercooler cooling system uses conventional DEX-Cool coolant.
What's the service interval for that system?
It has the same service interval of the engine cooling system of regular DEX-Cool of five years, 100,000 miles.
Okay very good, let's try Mr. Jensen at Koppel Chevrolet go ahead.
Yes good morning.
Getting back to the stage 1 and stage 2 service kits he was talking about, can he get into more detail as what the specifics of them will be?
I'm going to close your microphone here because we've got a motorboat condition and we want to make sure that you hear our response here.
Ken, can you tell us a little bit more about this stage 1 and stage 2 packaging?
Yes, clearly, the stage 1, as everybody would expect, is a different size pulley and a different cal which will push the horsepower in the neighborhood of 230, 240.
We are also showing the stage 2 package at SEMA which is 280 horsepower.
There are a little bit more engine modifications to accomplish that and a higher output clutch in that package.
Now, Ken, are these going to be dealer-installed items?
They can be either way.
Either a customer can come in and buy it through the GM performance parts catalog or they can buy it through the dealer and the dealer can opt to offer to install it for them
Okay, let's try Reliable Chevrolet, we have Steve go ahead.
Yes, I notice we're talking a lot about performance and modifications.
Is there any kind of abuse protection for the drivetrain when it gets a little overanxious?
What about that, Ken?
As I indicated, we've tested the vehicle for track conditions and so forth.
We run all types of abuse-type testing.
We just completed 250 miles of auto cross which simulates five years of auto cross usage and the car handled very, very well.
We actually just finished that test yesterday.
As far as protecting the vehicle, we do govern the boost to insure that we have 100,000-mile engine durability and warranty to 12 PSI.
We have validated the transmission for slightly higher torque than what we are putting into production.
And we really feel that everything from our testing and validation that the car is more than adequate.
Clearly, if someone raced it or pushed it harder than a typical on-road customer, we would expect them to consume brakes and tires at a quicker rate than a normal customer.
Okay, thank you Ken.
No more calls right now, so we're going to keep moving on.
Ryan is going to stick around and join us for our next call-in session but we want to say thanks to Ken for stopping by and sharing his information with us today.

s hp in the 280 range.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:05 AM
The Stig

yay 280hp sounds good to me.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:11 AM

I would be satisfied with 240-250 hp. *****Now, ladies and genteman, what do we think that pricing will be at? Stage1 I will say $1000 installed through GM stage 2 $2000 Installed. Sweet Q&A dude, By the way has it been confirmed or not if they are installed by GM will the warranty be voided or not???? This turned out to be a great thead guys and gals..

Old 07-30-2005, 11:29 AM

Yah im probly gonna wait til after SEMA to make my decision on what to buy....but im obviously getting the stage 2
Old 07-31-2005, 12:43 AM

I'm with him, Stage 2 here I come (Jan or Feb). I'll check out the SEMA stuff though. Good find.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quite a few of us running stage 3r have actually passed emissions and such
also base HP is not 300, it is 320-325 and HOM is 360 supposed to be FWHP but

I know everyone is getting those numbers TO THE WHEELS .....
Old 08-09-2005, 03:41 AM

That was a great transcript of the GMTECH Training class........ I remember those classes (I think the last one I took, was the Manditory Dealer one for the Trail Blazer....... at least one employee of the dealership had to take it, before the Dealer could get their first Trail Blazer/Envoy)

This makes me want the Cobalt even more......... get the new reflash for the higher boost
Old 08-09-2005, 07:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
now if GM could learn to strike the iron while it is HOT! HINT HINT
Old 08-09-2005, 08:35 PM

Little disapointerd in the stage two numbers, but I imagine it's a must until a stage 3 comes out.

I'm curious how the stage 2 will compare to the twincharging kits being built, both pricewise and pereformance.

but of corse there is th ebonus of maintaining the warrenty
Old 08-10-2005, 12:14 AM

I HEARD THAT GM IS WORKING ON A PACKAGE THAT BRINGS IT UP TO 270HP. tHAT INCLUDES A EXH. SYSTEM, A PULLEY, AND ECU REFLASH/PROGRAMMING.
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/...ss_concept.asp

google > you
Old 08-10-2005, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Keebler
That doesn't really tell us much. Thats a concept car from last year. Our cars have around 200hp stock. It says that concept has 270, and the only real go fast parts are an intake and cat-back. There is no way you're gonna add 70hp to this car with just an intake and exhaust.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick
That doesn't really tell us much. Thats a concept car from last year. Our cars have around 200hp stock. It says that concept has 270, and the only real go fast parts are an intake and cat-back. There is no way you're gonna add 70hp to this car with just an intake and exhaust.

maverick....i know that. i was looking at getting a cobalt a while back (when GM hyped the **** out of them), but then that deal fell through. ive seen the pics, ive seen the numbers. i know the cobalts specs, i know the 'concept' specs.

BUT, with an ecu reflash, smaller pulley, full cai, and a less restrictive exhaust, i wouldnt be suprised to see gains ALMOST of 70bhp. to the wheels? no.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Keebler
BUT, with an ecu reflash, smaller pulley, full cai, and a less restrictive exhaust, i wouldnt be suprised to see gains ALMOST of 70bhp. to the wheels? no.
Certainly. I was just saying that the concept you pointed out didn't have a reflash or a smaller pulley.

Quick Reply: GM performance upgrade