2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

GM Upgrade Kits...???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM Upgrade Kits...???

I just picked up my SS tonight and right before i left, one of the sales associates told me that GM was coming out with factory stage 2 and stage 3 kits.. he told me that gm would back them and it wouldnt void your waranty. Only number i got was @ 270 hp for the stage 2 kit.. anyone else here of this?
Old 05-26-2005, 08:57 PM
KJS

keep an eye on...

www.gmtunersource.com
Old 05-26-2005, 11:21 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would definately be interested in that. 270hp sounds great to me I wonder what the stage 3 would put out.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:24 PM

I am pretty sure this is true. I spoke with a plant manager at the Detroit auto show back in January and he mentioned that they will be comming out with performance package upgrades. I wonder how much these will cost... God knows I'm getting the higest rated one.

Tom
Old 06-03-2005, 12:02 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KJS
keep an eye on...

www.gmtunersource.com

Ahh it only 95% of that site wasn't an underconstruction page
Old 06-03-2005, 12:42 AM

Seeing as how Dodge has the over the counter warrranty approved stuff----Gm should follow suit.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by avro206
Seeing as how Dodge has the over the counter warrranty approved stuff----Gm should follow suit.
now where did you hear that?... i went to a dodge dealer to just glance at an SRT-4.. but i woulndt do it without a stage 2 kit.. so i went to the parts manager and the first thing that he said to me is that when you buy the upgraded mopar pakages, they put your vin number in the computer and no dodge dealer will then work on your car under waranty.. he said they wouldnt work on a stock SRT-4 with just a BOV.. How shitty is that?!?!?!

As for Chevy upgrade kits.. i was told that they would be covered.. i hope this holds true
Old 06-03-2005, 08:39 AM

I emailed the GM Tuner people, and in short, they said that they're working on a kit that would include a smaller pulley, injectors, and calibrations (similar to the Grand AM Cup car in the Tuner Guide). They didn't give an exact date, however from the way he talked, it sounded like it might still be pretty far off (ie he made comments like 'we're still considering the business case'... stuff like that, that makes you wonder whether it might not even happen period, let alone when...).
Old 06-03-2005, 11:07 AM

well i cant wait to hear about them actually comming out with such a thing
Old 06-23-2005, 12:14 AM

wish they would hurry up and release it

This doesn't add much to the topic but I've gotta vent....
I wish they'd hurry it up and bring out the staged upgrades already! I'm not going to do it til the stages come out just so it's done all at once, but I plan to do the limited slip at the same time.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:37 PM

When this comes out not in the near future, i think they have to install it to be under the warrenty, and that will cost alot so idk what to do.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PaulSS
now where did you hear that?... i went to a dodge dealer to just glance at an SRT-4.. but i woulndt do it without a stage 2 kit.. so i went to the parts manager and the first thing that he said to me is that when you buy the upgraded mopar pakages, they put your vin number in the computer and no dodge dealer will then work on your car under waranty.. he said they wouldnt work on a stock SRT-4 with just a BOV.. How shitty is that?!?!?!

As for Chevy upgrade kits.. i was told that they would be covered.. i hope this holds true
depending on the mods, are you guys familiar with the magnusson-moss ruling? i thought the dealerships had to prove that your mods caused the damage you would've been bringing it in for repairs under.... i haven't read the whole thing but i believe that's the whole of the situation
Old 06-23-2005, 06:35 PM

Yes, but some dealerships are still going to try and rip anyone off that they feel they can. Not all dealerships are like that but I know how rediculous some of them can get.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:46 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by selfinfliction
depending on the mods, are you guys familiar with the magnusson-moss ruling? i thought the dealerships had to prove that your mods caused the damage you would've been bringing it in for repairs under.... i haven't read the whole thing but i believe that's the whole of the situation

From what I have heard it seems more like the customer is responsible for proving their mods didn't cause the problem. That ruling is only going to help of you wanna take the service dept at your dealer to court, and well then I wouldn't want them working on my car anymore....

BTW I am not quoting the court ruling but more reflecting how real life works.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:25 PM

just bumping this up to the top this is some good info on wht could happen in the future. this would make the cobalt superior to the srt-4, however, i dotn knw how much the stage 3 srt-4's are puttin out.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:07 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bullitzx2
just bumping this up to the top this is some good info on wht could happen in the future. this would make the cobalt superior to the srt-4, however, i dotn knw how much the stage 3 srt-4's are puttin out.
The stage 3 SRT4 is producing around 300hp I beleive. It's a 70hp increase from the factory rated 230hp.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Banned

The dollar per HP on the Stage 3 kit on the SRT-4 is to high.

It will take less money to make the SS/SC faster and it will take less additional HP too since it's a S/C.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:54 PM
JCX

Originally Posted by MarcS
The stage 3 SRT4 is producing around 300hp I beleive. It's a 70hp increase from the factory rated 230hp.
On pump gas I've personally seen a Stage 3 SRT-4 put 325 hp and 345 tq to the wheels. The only other modification was a catback. This is quite typical. If you get the race gas switch you can figure another ~25HP and ~50TQ to the wheels with 100 octane.

Stage 3 is not cheap, but it is good power and no tuning is needed. Install, turn key, drive away.

Originally Posted by codyss
The dollar per HP on the Stage 3 kit on the SRT-4 is to high.

It will take less money to make the SS/SC faster and it will take less additional HP too since it's a S/C.
Wrong as usual.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:58 PM

cody its easier to make more hp on a turbo application then it is on a supercharger application. and you figure that claimed 300hp thats at the wheels, so thats 70whp increase, so thats roughly 100hp increase. for what 2-3 grand i'm not sure what the cost is. your looking for the same hp on the cobalt ss that gravana tuning is coming out with, and keep in mind thats allready twin charged.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Banned

I am talking about overal performance. A 70HP gain in a Cobalt SS shouldn't cost over $1000 should it? Pulley, programming w/Bypass mods should get close to that. I am used to my LS1 so 2-3 grand for 70HP is way to much.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:39 PM
JCX

I am talking about overal performance. A 70HP gain in a Cobalt SS shouldn't cost over $1000 should it? Pulley, programming w/Bypass mods should get close to that. I am used to my LS1 so 2-3 grand for 70HP is way to much.
You must think in percentages. 70WHP is about a 35% gain for a Cobalt SS.

A pulley and programming might get you 70 WHP on a Cobra. Not a Cobalt.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:08 PM

I'm betting a 3.25" pulley and good pcm tune would net 30-50hp.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:06 PM

torque brace = 120 (already installed)
replace filter = $54 (below list)
water injection = 285
PSI Upgrade = ~600 (2.8 pulley)
Headers = ~420 (The Other Guys)
Exhaust ~300-400 (Custom including resonator, undecided on muffler)

ok, revised plans are above, on top of that, i'm going to make an icebox for the intercooler (after the heat exchanger) and a ram air! i'll be done after that... hopefully we're close to 300whp with the above!

thankfully, all of the above comes to US$1829 using exhaust cost as 350. i'm sure i can bring that down, but i want to overestimate, in case i decide to splurge on a more expensive muffler.

not too shabby. we should know the power estimates on friday night for the PSI kit on a stock car !

i'm hoping an easy 250whp, lowballing from their kit alone. add in water injection, that should be good for another easy 20whp ON TOP of the PSI kit, and i'm hoping my new filter and exhaust work (including header) will tip the scales and get up to 300whp. i have a really good feeling that the icebox will put it over, and my ram air will be the icing on the cake for a freeway terror!

so hot, so very very hot. i should be able to whoop up on all the SRT guys around here that don't seem to have much done, not to mention i think i'll be able to make some evo/sti guys feel sorry they paid so much for their cars if i ever find them on the freeway, hopefully show up my guys WRX that he's invested so many dollars into. after this i'm likely done. gotta save for the SKY RL, and any more than 300whp in an open differential FWD car isn't going to be too much fun to drive on a daily basis...

this is good for the price, what does the srt stage 3 cost?
Old 07-06-2005, 04:14 PM
JCX

Originally Posted by Vita
torque brace = 120 (already installed)
replace filter = $54 (below list)
water injection = 285
PSI Upgrade = ~600 (2.8 pulley)
Headers = ~420 (The Other Guys)
Exhaust ~300-400 (Custom including resonator, undecided on muffler)

ok, revised plans are above, on top of that, i'm going to make an icebox for the intercooler (after the heat exchanger) and a ram air! i'll be done after that... hopefully we're close to 300whp with the above!

thankfully, all of the above comes to US$1829 using exhaust cost as 350. i'm sure i can bring that down, but i want to overestimate, in case i decide to splurge on a more expensive muffler.

not too shabby. we should know the power estimates on friday night for the PSI kit on a stock car !

i'm hoping an easy 250whp, lowballing from their kit alone. add in water injection, that should be good for another easy 20whp ON TOP of the PSI kit, and i'm hoping my new filter and exhaust work (including header) will tip the scales and get up to 300whp. i have a really good feeling that the icebox will put it over, and my ram air will be the icing on the cake for a freeway terror!

so hot, so very very hot. i should be able to whoop up on all the SRT guys around here that don't seem to have much done, not to mention i think i'll be able to make some evo/sti guys feel sorry they paid so much for their cars if i ever find them on the freeway, hopefully show up my guys WRX that he's invested so many dollars into. after this i'm likely done. gotta save for the SKY RL, and any more than 300whp in an open differential FWD car isn't going to be too much fun to drive on a daily basis...

this is good for the price, what does the srt stage 3 cost?
How much power is the PSI kit? You're hoping for 40-50WHP from what a pulley? That's a hell of a pulley. 20 WHP also seems a lot for WI as well based on what I've seen with other applications. Could be wrong though.

Don't take this the wrong way, but 300 WHP will represent nearly a 50% gain in power. I just don't see it on the stock blower unless you got a bottle in the trunk. Don't get me wrong, it will be very interesting to see how you make out and I applaud you but there are a lot of "ifs" there. Talking about 300 WHP is much different than having 300 WHP. Our camp learned this quickly.

I guess we'll see.

BTW, the SRT-4 stage 3 kits costs about $3K w/o toys and $3.6K with toys. Proven ~325WHP on pump gas with only a catback. More with other bolt ons. Note - it does not take Stage 3 to make an SRT-4 run quickly.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:38 PM

Please tell me how you will get 70 more horsepower under $1000.

Quick Reply: GM Upgrade Kits...???