2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Header install this weekend, have a Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Header install this weekend, have a Question

Ok I will be removing the Extrude honed manifold that's on the car and will be replacing it with the C/A v2 shorty header this weekend, my queston is can I do it with out completely removing the downpipe, the 2 bolts that connect the downpipe to the cat back look really nasty and I really dont want to mess with them right now
Old 12-12-2008, 05:33 PM

You *probably* can, so long as you can find enough clearance to lift the header up to clear the studs on the downpipe while pulling it back off the head... It should likely give enough to complete it because of the flexpipe section.

You should just buy a downpipe too
Old 12-12-2008, 05:37 PM

i had ti remove mine its 100x easier, that header is easier to put on than it is to take off the mani
Old 12-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

Soak the studs with wd-40 or liquid wrench the day before,they may look nasty but they will come off.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by csementuh
You *probably* can, so long as you can find enough clearance to lift the header up to clear the studs on the downpipe while pulling it back off the head... It should likely give enough to complete it because of the flexpipe section.

You should just buy a downpipe too

Im going to an exhaust shop next week to get the cat removed and have a ss peice of pipe put in it's place ( I know the guy that works here), this is jus temp, due to spending an ass load of money on christmas gifts for the familey and friends, I really cant see spending 250+ on a DP on I really dont need right now, after the holidays I can go back to blowing cash on my car (which my wife hates )
Old 12-13-2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by My06ss
Im going to an exhaust shop next week to get the cat removed and have a ss peice of pipe put in it's place ( I know the guy that works here), this is jus temp, due to spending an ass load of money on christmas gifts for the familey and friends, I really cant see spending 250+ on a DP on I really dont need right now, after the holidays I can go back to blowing cash on my car (which my wife hates )
I'm sorry you dyoned whats in your sig with no header or downpipe? What mods do you have cuz that sounds way way way to high? (Not bashing, just interested)
Old 12-13-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by runriot
I'm sorry you dyoned whats in your sig with no header or downpipe? What mods do you have cuz that sounds way way way to high? (Not bashing, just interested)
I had 60lb injectors, 2.9 pulley, Extrude honed manifold, injen intake,poly trans mounts, Ingalls stiffy torque damper when I was dyno tuned at ZZP,

I have know Idea how I put down those numbers but I did, there were 2 cobalt's there that day with similar mods and I out dyno'ed both of them by like 15-20hp how I have no idea, I'm sure the weather played a part in it ,was like 20-25 degrees, all I know is that the car pulls ungodly and as of any future engine mods go I'm done, well except for the header, but then again alot of people say that, Ill try to get a pic of the dyno sheet up if I can figure out how, pm me your email and ill send it to you

Dyno sheet now in vbgarage.....

Last edited by My06ss; 12-14-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:10 PM

what every one else said, and congrats on teh upgrade!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:47 PM

I had 60lb injectors, 2.9 pulley, Extrude honed manifold, injen intake, MagnaFlow cat back,poly trans mounts, Ingalls stiffy torque damper when I was dyno tuned at ZZP,

I have know Idea how I put down those numbers but I did, there were 2 cobalt's there that day with similar mods and I out dyno'ed both of them by like 15-20hp how I have no idea, I'm sure the weather played a part in it ,was like 20-25 degrees, all I know is that the car pulls ungodly and as of any future engine mods go I'm done, well except for the header, but then again alot of people say that, Ill try to get a pic of the dyno sheet up if I can figure out how, pm me your email and ill send it to you
No no need to see it, but in your vbgarage it says you had 42.5 injectors and a 3.0 pully. thought maybe you were on the magic juice!!!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:53 PM

No no need to see it, but in your vbgarage it says you had 42.5 injectors and a 3.0 pully. thought maybe you were on the magic juice!!!!!
forgot to update
Old 12-13-2008, 07:37 PM

forget wd40 or liquid wrench
use pb blaster
that thing is gods gift to mechanics
Old 12-13-2008, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Omnigear
forget wd40 or liquid wrench
use pb blaster
that thing is gods gift to mechanics
That's what I used, I sprayed the **** out of all the bolts that I will be removing tomorrow
Old 12-14-2008, 02:51 PM

All done , took me about 2 hours, everything went very smoothly,took it for a test drive and I have to say is WOW ,

and Yes you can remove the header with out removing the downpipe, plenty of room
Old 12-14-2008, 11:11 PM

Did you use the gaskets that came with the header from Cobalt Addiction?

I'm just curious cause I just got my V2 also, but the gaskets look really flimsy (like they will leak).
Old 12-15-2008, 01:08 AM

nice numbers man. I might have to hit up zzp for a tune. Did you drive up there for a dyno tune i'm guessing. And isn't that a lil far from west virginia lol
Old 12-15-2008, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by BoostedYards86
nice numbers man. I might have to hit up zzp for a tune. Did you drive up there for a dyno tune i'm guessing. And isn't that a lil far from west virginia lol
Yea, I drove up, took me 7hr to get there 2hr's tuning & 9hrs back due to some pretty nasty snow storms,not a bad trip at all, interstate the whole way, it was well worth my time, nice little road trip I had fun
Old 12-15-2008, 04:01 PM

they are in mi right?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Plastic
Did you use the gaskets that came with the header from Cobalt Addiction?

I'm just curious cause I just got my V2 also, but the gaskets look really flimsy (like they will leak).
Yea, I used the ones they sent, their fine, the gaskets they sent with mine were alot thicker than the stock ones..although I think I have a leak, ill have to check it out when its not pissing down the rain.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:13 PM

Yea, I drove up, took me 7hr to get there 2hr's tuning & 9hrs back due to some pretty nasty snow storms,not a bad trip at all, interstate the whole way, it was well worth my time, nice little road trip I had fun
Must have been, your dynoing about 20-40HP more than other cars with the same mods!!!

Me thinks ZZP's numbers are a bit inflated there, to bad you didnt get a baseline from there, then you would see true gains. I wish I had my car dynod before and after.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:09 PM

Must have been, your dynoing about 20-40HP more than other cars with the same mods!!!

Me thinks ZZP's numbers are a bit inflated there, to bad you didnt get a baseline from there, then you would see true gains. I wish I had my car dynod before and after.
To tell you the truth I really dont give 2 ***** about what their dyno said, my ass dyno is the only thing I care about, the car pulls really hard, If I can pull on a 06 stang gt & a few STI's I know its putting down some power, dyno number's mean nuthing, the car puts a smile on my face every time I get on it and that is all that matters, how did we got of topic anyway this was a header install thread

Originally Posted by ShortStack
they are in mi right?
Yea, their in Wyoming MI

Last edited by My06ss; 12-15-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-15-2008, 06:15 PM

Save the hassle and take them off. Those 2 bolts are the easiest thing that you will do. The ones that connect the DP to the Header are the biggest BITCH in the world. I sat there for an hour trying my hardest to un-do 3 bolts. After getting a full chest workout.. I ended up pressing so hard that it snapped every single one of the 3 bolts. That's just how tight they are on there. The 2 bolts that connect the DP to the cat-back are cake. Then again... I didn't have WD-40 or anything so I REALLY hope that helps... If not.... Hit the gym before you try to do this. Haha. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:23 PM

I got a ca v2 header w/the dp. The gasket started leaking a couple days later, now i gotta get another 1 from CA. Does anyone know if you have to remove the header completely in order to replace the gasket? Or will it move enough when you unbolt it from the head?

Thanks for any info
Old 12-16-2008, 03:19 AM

To tell you the truth I really dont give 2 ***** about what their dyno said, my ass dyno is the only thing I care about, the car pulls really hard, If I can pull on a 06 stang gt & a few STI's I know its putting down some power, dyno number's mean nuthing, the car puts a smile on my face every time I get on it and that is all that matters, how did we got of topic anyway this was a header install thread

Yea, their in Wyoming MI
Thats what I was trying to point out, nice to get a before baseline and an after baseline. I know my Clear image header/downpipe combo gave me more HP/Torqe than any other mod I did, the car pulls so much harder know the entire RPM range. Exhaust is next for me, cuz the stock exhaust is by no means a 2.5, dont care what anyone says it supposed to be, its not. Probably will do 2.5 back to a borla muffler.

Anyways how about some pics of your header installed, would like to see it and compare it to my fitment wise.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:14 PM

Thats what I was trying to point out, nice to get a before baseline and an after baseline. I know my Clear image header/downpipe combo gave me more HP/Torqe than any other mod I did, the car pulls so much harder know the entire RPM range. Exhaust is next for me, cuz the stock exhaust is by no means a 2.5, dont care what anyone says it supposed to be, its not. Probably will do 2.5 back to a borla muffler.

Anyways how about some pics of your header installed, would like to see it and compare it to my fitment wise.
I had 0 fitment issues with the header install, Ill add the header pics to my VBgarage tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:22 PM

Notice any performance gain? and sound?

Quick Reply: Header install this weekend, have a Question