2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

how reliable is a 2.6/ 2.7 inch pulley with a stage kit and a good tune on 17.5 boost

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how reliable is a 2.6/ 2.7 inch pulley with a stage kit and a good tune on 17.5 boost

im a little bit mroe aggressive than the average driving, but under normal conditions if i dont abuse it, is it as reliable as stock?
Old 01-13-2009, 05:04 AM
Banned

If you are running cooling mods and 60lbers with a good solid tune you can get away with the 2.7, however you will be over spinning the blower and I would recommend using the 2.8.

Anything below a 2.8 is just creating way to much heat and without methanol injection is just pointless and will heat soak way to quickly. However, if you have all the cooling mods, like I said, you can get away with a 2.7. Cooling mods and the tune are the key

Also as you continue to mod your car the reliability factor is going to decrease, but if you don't beat on it all the time and you treat it right, it will last. Make sure you change the oil, the plugs, etc and it should last. As I said above though, cooling mods and the tune are VERY important.

Last edited by Zach06CobaltSC; 01-13-2009 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-13-2009, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Zach06CobaltSC
If you are running cooling mods and 60lbers with a good solid tune you can get away with the 2.7, however you will be over spinning the blower and I would recommend using the 2.8.

Anything below a 2.8 is just creating way to much heat and without methanol injection is just pointless and will heat soak way to quickly. However, if you have all the cooling mods, like I said, you can get away with a 2.7. Cooling mods and the tune are the key
im going to instal a ottp heat exchanger, would that be enough?
Old 01-13-2009, 05:21 AM
Banned

No, not nearly enough. Without methanol/water injection your iat2's are going to be way way to high. I recommend sticking with a 2.9 without meth, or a 2.8 with meth. Either way, make sure you go with 60lbers.

Also remember that boost does not equal power.

Last edited by Zach06CobaltSC; 01-13-2009 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-13-2009, 05:22 AM

No, not nearly enough. Without methanol/water injection your iat2's are going to be way way to high. I recommend sticking with a 2.9 without meth, or a 2.8 with meth. Either way, make sure you go with 60lbers.

Also remember that boost does not equal power.
how much does meth inj cost?
Old 01-13-2009, 05:28 AM
Banned

Depends on which kit you pick up. There are 2 devils own kits that are on www.ottperformance.com and a kit from turbotechracing.com which is the aem methanol kit.

I have used both and both are good solid reliable kits.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:30 AM

Depends on which kit you pick up. There are 2 devils own kits that are on www.ottperformance.com and a kit from turbotechracing.com which is the aem methanol kit.

I have used both and both are good solid reliable kits.
thanks for the info, the parts i listed before are actually parts from an ottp stage 1 kit, except the 2.7 pulley. ill look into it...
Old 01-13-2009, 05:33 AM
Banned

No problem man I am here to help. I run methanol injection and do some tuning and I can tell you from experience if you don't have meth/water injection your iat2's are going to be through the roof and you WILL lose power, especially with a pulley smaller then a 2.8.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:37 AM

i noticed all your mods under your post, what does your car do in the 1/4?
Old 01-13-2009, 05:41 AM
Banned

I haven't raced it on the 1/4mile track yet. I wanted to finish all of my mods and tuning before I took her to the track . I can tell you however that on the dyno that I use I put down 280whp without the 50shot. However take that with only a grain of salt because every dyno varies so who knows.

I am very confident that I will have absolutely no problem getting my car into the 11s this summer, with the 50shot and slicks that is .
Old 01-13-2009, 05:51 AM

I haven't raced it on the 1/4mile track yet. I wanted to finish all of my mods and tuning before I took her to the track . I can tell you however that on the dyno that I use I put down 280whp without the 50shot. However take that with only a grain of salt because every dyno varies so who knows.

I am very confident that I will have absolutely no problem getting my car into the 11s this summer, with the 50shot and slicks that is .
11's... thats HUGE for a cobalt ss/sc, good luck with that, im just looking for low 13's, high 12's by summer time, its gonna be on street tires, maybe falkin. so im not expecting 12's
Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 AM
Banned

If you don't have any traction mods I would recommend getting some. When you have a lot of power and you can't put it to the ground you get wheel hop, I am sure you have heard about it, or felt it in your car. If you get wheel hop at the track it's very easy to snap an axle.

Contrary to popular belief, slicks can actually prevent wheel hop and help you put the power you have to the ground. I recommend ONLY using slicks at the track, no street tires.

What happens with street tires when you launch is they start to spin and then suddenly hook up, this sudden hook up of the street tires after spinning for so long and so fast, is what causes axles to snap. When you use slicks the tires hook up very quickly and can help prevent wheel hop.

11s is pretty big for a cobalt, however with all of the time and money I have put into my car it won't seem like much in the end lol.

Last edited by Zach06CobaltSC; 01-13-2009 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-13-2009, 06:00 AM

If you don't have any traction mods I would recommend getting some. When you have a lot of power and you can't put it to the ground you get wheel hop, I am sure you have heard about it, or felt it in your car. If you get wheel hop at the track it's very easy to snap an axle.

Contrary to popular belief, slicks can actually prevent wheel hop and help you put the power you have to the ground. I recommend ONLY using slicks at the track, no street tires.

What happens with street tires when you launch is they start to spin and then suddenly hook up, this sudden hook up of the street tires after spinning for so long and so fast, is what causes axles to snap. When you use slicks the tires hook up very quickly and can help prevent wheel hop.

11s is pretty big for a cobalt, however with all of the time and money I have put into my car it won't seem like much in the end lol.
i only have mine for another year, so im not gonna put too much in it, my lease warranty ended so im gonna make my last year with the car a fun one. i was planning to order ingalls torque dampeners. any other recommendations? so whats the end goal for your cobalt?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:05 AM
Banned

I don't think I will ever have an "end goal" for my cobalt haha. I always keep coming up with more and more goals for it =D. I am currently using the ingalls torque dampener, coupled with some lower springs. It's a pretty good combination however I have heard that the solid motor mounts are better then the ingalls.

Either way, I recommend getting the tranny mounts also, I don't have them yet but will be picking them up when it gets a little warmer out . The more traction mods the better.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think I will ever have an "end goal" for my cobalt haha. I always keep coming up with more and more goals for it =D. I am currently using the ingalls torque dampener, coupled with some lower springs. It's a pretty good combination however I have heard that the solid motor mounts are better then the ingalls.

Either way, I recommend getting the tranny mounts also, I don't have them yet but will be picking them up when it gets a little warmer out . The more traction mods the better.
Do you do your own tuning?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:12 AM

im going to look into those, im not sure about lowering my car safely, montreal has horrible roads, bumps potholes, un even surfaces, its caused by our cold winter, and great contractors(they make sure they have a job every year, good business!) most of my friends with lowered cars have some damage here and there... im still debating that!
Old 01-13-2009, 06:27 AM
Banned

Black SS/SC 06 - Yes I do my own tuning, why?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Black SS/SC 06 - Yes I do my own tuning, why?
I was just curious. It makes things easier/cheaper if you can do your own.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:30 AM
Banned

ajjaro - one thing you could look into is coilovers. You can set it up for daily driving and keep it a little bit higher and then when you want to track it you can lower it.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:40 AM

i took a quick look, their expensive arent they? ottp has them for 1200. im trying to keep my total spending under 2000$ in mods, with a little bit of lee way, so far i have about 1500$ worth of quality mods planned. what should i do with the last 500$? what can you tell me about headers and their function, are they worth buying?

i can stretch it to 2500$, it is just one year, i have to save a little bit for the next car.

Last edited by ajjaro; 01-13-2009 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Banned

If you can know how to work on your car yourself, I would say grab some pistons and toss them in. If you don't know how, then it will cost way to much. What are your goals for the car?

Yea, a full exhaust would help the car quite a bit. I would recommend a full 3 inch exhaust. I had a shop custom make my exhaust out in cali, then picked up a zpp 3inch dp and header. I am using a magnaflow muffler and a 36inch glasspack for a resonator. The resonator toned it down a bit and eliminated all of the rasp at higher rpm's.

Exhaust is a good supporting mod though to pick up a few more ponies. Let me know what you wanna do with the car and I will suggest a few things for ya
Old 01-13-2009, 06:50 AM

If you can know how to work on your car yourself, I would say grab some pistons and toss them in. If you don't know how, then it will cost way to much. What are your goals for the car?

Yea, a full exhaust would help the car quite a bit. I would recommend a full 3 inch exhaust. I had a shop custom make my exhaust out in cali, then picked up a zpp 3inch dp and header. I am using a magnaflow muffler and a 36inch glasspack for a resonator. The resonator toned it down a bit and eliminated all of the rasp at higher rpm's.

Exhaust is a good supporting mod though to pick up a few more ponies. Let me know what you wanna do with the car and I will suggest a few things for ya
well to start i cant mod my car myself, no knowledge of that lol. i have a garage, family friend is the owner, who can do that for me at a good price, i want the best exhaust system i can get for under 500$ and injen intake(sure about that one, the ottp stage 1 package with 2.7 pulley, meth injection cooling mod, ingalls torque dampener the whole. my ultimate goals is to make my car faster than srt-8s(so my neighbour will shut up about his dad's car!), i want to put it in the range of m3's rs4 etc... if thats possible for under 2500$ the part selection i listed, to my knowledge seems too be the best combination i could come up with so far, but im no expert.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:00 AM
Banned

Have you thought about going with the TVS supercharger? Read up on that a bit, you will have no problem hitting over 300whp with it
Old 01-13-2009, 07:13 AM

Have you thought about going with the TVS supercharger? Read up on that a bit, you will have no problem hitting over 300whp with it
ill have to change my clutch for that kind of power, but ill look into it right away, if i were to get this supercharger, what mods would i have to get along with it in order to make it a reliable addition to my car, will i have to forge my internals?

i checked the pricing, its listed as 2250, thats too expensive, looks nice tho. any other supercharger suggestions, upgrades other than the options i've explored? maybe a supercharger swap between 1000 and 1500?

Last edited by ajjaro; 01-13-2009 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 AM
Banned

There are no other options for supercharger upgrades besides the TVS. The only thing you need to run it is 60lbers and cooling mods, exhaust is also recommended.

If you can save up a few more bucks, I would go for it personally. The swap is VERY straight forward.

Quick Reply: how reliable is a 2.6/ 2.7 inch pulley with a stage kit and a good tune on 17.5 boost