2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

I have another question reguarding the cobalt ss/sc

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink I have another question reguarding the cobalt ss/sc

I have noticed in all the video's of the cobalt ss that i have watched,that they are able to spin the tires in first gear,without launching,just putting it to the floor,so i was wondering,is that a result of not having limited slip,or does having the g85 package still allow you to spin tires,in that manner....also did yall know that the cobalt ss engine,the LSJ,is in the ward's top 10 best engines of 2006,its ranked number 6,and i think that is awsome..
Old 11-24-2006, 05:05 AM

The stock cobalt cant, to my knowledge and testing, spin the tires in 1st gear. I know for damn sure a RL cant. But when a car spins tires it can be due to stickiness of the tire and the stickiness of the ground below the tire. The RL comes with a more performance oriented tire than the cobalt and that could attribute to why we cant spin in 1st, the cobalt comes with an all season tire. Any car can spin tires with the right combination of circumstances. G85 includes a LSD and that "helps" in drag racing but not so much you'd notice, it helps more in the corners to lock the tires rotation to the other tire. Most know that the engine is on wards top 10 engines and those that dont I guess know now, lol.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:06 AM

I can still spin with my G85. Just cruising in 2nd, I can stomp on it and they'll break loose.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by AlphaJaguar5
The stock cobalt cant, to my knowledge and testing, spin the tires in 1st gear.
The SS/SC can
Old 11-24-2006, 06:39 AM

The stock cobalt cant, to my knowledge and testing, spin the tires in 1st gear. I know for damn sure a RL cant. But when a car spins tires it can be due to stickiness of the tire and the stickiness of the ground below the tire. The RL comes with a more performance oriented tire than the cobalt and that could attribute to why we cant spin in 1st, the cobalt comes with an all season tire. Any car can spin tires with the right combination of circumstances. G85 includes a LSD and that "helps" in drag racing but not so much you'd notice, it helps more in the corners to lock the tires rotation to the other tire. Most know that the engine is on wards top 10 engines and those that dont I guess know now, lol.
The SS/SC has more performance oriented tires then the Red line.
P- Zero Rosso's are better the Dunlops
Old 11-24-2006, 07:00 AM

Also, if the RL can't spin in first, it probably has something to do with it having a different gear setup than the SS/SC.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:13 AM

I can pretty much spin my tires in first or second whenever I want to. you just have to mash the gas. I have a non G85 car. 1st gear is rediculously short in this car which makes it very spin prone.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huh Pirrelli's aren't very performance oriented tires, I wonder if Ferrari knows that.

Pirrelli's ARE world class performance tires or you wouldn't see them on Ferrari's.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jackalope
Huh Pirrelli's aren't very performance oriented tires, I wonder if Ferrari knows that.

Pirrelli's ARE world class performance tires or you wouldn't see them on Ferrari's.

Ah what do those hacks at Ferrari know anyway? When was the last time they built a car that could stand up to the Cobalt?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by IMADreamer
Ah what do those hacks at Ferrari know anyway? When was the last time they built a car that could stand up to the Cobalt?

Yeah no **** right?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:39 AM

my ss/sc is stock and i can spin the tires in first just by stomping it. Im not sure who said they can spin them in second, but they must have extensive mods.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:42 AM

i spun tires from 1st-3rd lol then finally caught grip, but there was a factor in this lol it was raining!!! lol but on a dry day jsut flooring it will spin tires on mine in 1st then catch grip then chirp gears into 2nd then itll jsut go lol and the g85 cobalts can spin tires its jsut they spin both tires all the time the non g85 spin 1 or 2 tires depending on wat the car wants to do lol
Old 11-24-2006, 10:50 AM

^^I can spin 1-5 when its raining. But my tires are pretty much slicks.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:51 AM

my G5 with the 2.4L can spin 1 and 2ec and if i dont spin first and shft hard into 2ec the tires will spin a little
Old 11-24-2006, 11:03 AM

I have worn out ass Pirellis and I get 2 to break lose all the way up to the rev limiter.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:40 PM

Ive got a 06 ss/sc with g85 and can break em loose in first just by stomping on it, never in second unless i downshift hard, but i agree first gear feels just way too short for a car with this much torque.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:43 PM

I have an 06 non G85 and traction and first gear have never played well together on my car. Ever.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by RedSSBaltSC
Also, if the RL can't spin in first, it probably has something to do with it having a different gear setup than the SS/SC.
just an fyi the ss and rl have the same tranny and gearing

Ok for those trying to help his kid out in trying to find out about the cobalt this is in no way directed towards you as you guys arent tools.

Originally Posted by 05REDROCKET
The SS/SC has more performance oriented tires then the Red line.
P- Zero Rosso's are better the Dunlops
I dont wanna be rude but if you want to make a blanket statement like that I would do research first. If you would like to go to tirerack.com, which individually tests every tire they sell, you would be able to see that the dunlop sp9000 ranks 7 places higher than the p zero rosso.

Originally Posted by Jackalope

WOW you are THE biggest dueche bag I've ever seen. You used a affiliation of a BRAND of a tire company to infer they are the best around. That is so intelligent I just might have sex with your mother to spite the gorilla that spawned you. Now for some intelligent thought: P Zero Rosso's are NOT the tire on a ferrari and just because ferrari has a product on there car DOESNT mean its the best. Also using your logic every car should be red cuz, "thats the best or you would see them on ferrari's."
Old 11-25-2006, 12:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW you are THE biggest dueche bag I've ever seen. You used a affiliation of a BRAND of a tire company to infer they are the best around. That is so intelligent I just might have sex with your mother to spite the gorilla that spawned you. Now for some intelligent thought: P Zero Rosso's are NOT the tire on a ferrari and just because ferrari has a product on there car DOESNT mean its the best. Also using your logic every car should be red cuz, "thats the best or you would see them on ferrari's."

completely uncalled for

not one comment in this thread has been hateful towards you.

You need to take a step back there chief.

to OP i had no probs breaking loose first and second...and an occasional chirp in 3rd with an intake.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by an0malous
completely uncalled for

not one comment in this thread has been hateful towards you.

You need to take a step back there chief.

to OP i had no probs breaking loose first and second...and an occasional chirp in 3rd with an intake.
the basis that the underlying attitude of that post was cynical as hell and the fact that he obviously has something out for me cuz he's made 3 previous posts in other threads that were cynical for no reason also. that was my reasoning behing my comment.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by 01sunfire01
my G5 with the 2.4L can spin 1 and 2ec and if i dont spin first and shft hard into 2ec the tires will spin a little
I spinny too!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:08 AM

I've spun through all first 3 gears with an intake, engine mount, and ingalls dampener... it was crazy (right after Iput them on I decided to test it, probably not a good idea, but no wheel hop)
Old 11-25-2006, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by torrin1234
I've spun through all first 3 gears with an intake, engine mount, and ingalls dampener... it was crazy (right after Iput them on I decided to test it, probably not a good idea, but no wheel hop)

Same here. I can spin the first 3 gears. 3erd is the hardest but it can be done. The thing is, in a race you don't want this. Its way better to ease into the first 60" of the race without spinning. Once you get traction go all out baby! Anyways, he is right about the tires. The tires we have on are cars are not the same as the badass red machines mentioned. They are the same brand, but that doesn't mean anything. IMO BFG Goodwrench KDW IIs are awesome. Then again, thats just from ratings who knows....
Old 11-25-2006, 03:22 AM

Just an FYI, the tires on our cars blow. They don't like to get traction off the line.

Another thing for those posts regarding spinning through 3 gears. All I have to say is
Old 11-25-2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by LSJ PUP
Just an FYI, the tires on our cars blow. They don't like to get traction off the line.

Another thing for those posts regarding spinning through 3 gears. All I have to say is

I really don't think it's the tires fault this car doesn't grip on the line. It's the really short 1st gear coupled with the FWD that make grip a premium in first. Also they suck when they are cold. These tires have plenty of grip in the corners though so I don't think they are that bad.

Quick Reply: I have another question reguarding the cobalt ss/sc