2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

insomnia thinking....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
insomnia thinking....

so i can't sleep and have been thinking about blower swaps like many do. The tvs is a very nice blower. Definate upgrade of the stock blower. However if this design is such an improvement then why don't cobras that wish to stay sc put on the larger tvs 2130 or whatever the number is. They still prefer to go twinscrew. So why don't we have this option. Well the only people that have tried this was RAW with the lysolm blower. 1.2l per rev and had a 15,000rpm max sc speed. Now it has laid down some pretty serious numbers with only the stock exhaust. However the dyno's seem to get funky above 6000rpms of the engine. This may be due to a bad tune, or too much backpressure. Or it may be due to the sc being too small. Now, why has no one considered the w140ax from whipple. it has a 1.6l/rev of positive displacement, and has an 18,000rpm sc speed. Apparently this sc has made serious power on 3800sc cars. Somewhere in the range of 530whp. So with a max boost of 30psi and flowing a max of 1430cfm I think this could be a serious blower for us. The only reason I'm stating this is because I'm not seeing any massive numbers on sc's with the LSJ's. TVS guys are in the 300's. Mostly low 300's few in the mid 300's. Only turbo guys are getting 400's. And why is this...one the intake manifold, the other is heat production. Intake manifold porting and new designs are starting to pop up now. Now heat production is the next problem. Twinscrews are known to run less heat. How much is up for debate, but many have been run without intercoolers. So with our intercooler setups I would assume it would still run fairly well. So any one wanna kick around some thoughts with me on this one. http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1162

THats the link to the specs on the w140ax.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:19 AM

The twinscrew just wasnt effiecient enough for our engines...

TVS = Twin Vortices Series

The 2130 is a larger displacement than the 1320 (2.1 vs 1.3) but the mustangs have bigger engine.

Your right about the turbos, they are just that much more efficient.. But people with twin-charged cobalts are still seeing 350 (with supercharger intake manifold, supercharger included ) and this is because the SC stops working after the turbo is spooled... but they can also reach 400 easy on the twincharged setup, using the OEM intake manifold... so i really dont think thats the big problem...

Actually, people have thought about the whipple, search for it... And i actually contacted them myself, and they have stated that their s/c's will not fit our application... And im sure some people are trying to figure out how, but i believe it will take SOME SERIOUS work to get it to fit, if it even could work at all...

The whipple has deffinatly been talked about before, and the thread died after a couple people got the same email from whipple saying they do not make their s/cs to our cars standard..
Old 10-14-2008, 10:16 AM

I'm sorry, I just dont understand how the TS is not efficient enough for our engines. ???
Old 10-14-2008, 10:20 AM

Because they have big engines to drive the big power...

If our two liter LSJ tried to spin a 2.3 liter supercharger we would lose 100hp doing so... It takes power to make power, and to make 2.3 liters of power (thats bigger than our engines) it would just over work it so much it would just be pointless...
Old 10-14-2008, 10:35 AM

^^^^ He is talking about the w140ax for our cars which is 1.6L, not the bigger 2.3L blower suited for a V8... The w140ax would still draw a lot of power, but if it was more efficient, and netted higher boost, it would likely provide gains...
Old 10-14-2008, 10:41 AM

whooops..

Yes exactly... the 1.6 i still think is a little big... but i really think the 1.3 (harrop TVS) is the best way to go... any more than that and it just creates too much heat..

Im not sure how much it would gain though... And im not sure how much the extra .3 liters will effect it (for good, or bad), but i have a feeling the whipple is just one step outta our range..
Old 10-14-2008, 10:47 AM

Somebody contact Whipple about that w140ax and see if they can talk to an engineer about our specifications... Then work on mounting and fitment... Then get a good tuner to do some testing... Then sell it at a reasonable price...

Then I'd buy one!..
Old 10-14-2008, 11:44 AM

damn sorry guys I was looking at the wrong one i think. the w140ax is 2.3l/rev which is very significant amount of air. Chances are it is way to much for our tiny engine. Basically thats the twinscrew version of the m90 which we all know is not worthwhile on our engine. The one I was thinking about is the w100ax. which is 1.6l/rev max blower speed of 20,000rpm and peak boost of 30pounds. Sadly whipple no longer offers this blower. This had me take a look at Kenne bell. They have a 1.5L sc that could be possible, but KB only offers kits and will not sell just the SC. Such is life
Old 10-14-2008, 11:50 AM

Well it sounds to me like the w100ax could potentially be had as a cheaper alternative. Or contact Kenne Bell and see if they could work out some sort of kit to be another choice as a bolt on solution...
Old 10-14-2008, 05:23 PM

You won't get a better blower than the TVS for our car its been researched to death and its proven. Also everyone wanted to buy one and said how great it would be and barely anyone has. SO a different company isnt going to waste there money on us as well. Give the TVS some more time and you'll see better numbers I mean how many people have one? 10?15?
Old 10-14-2008, 06:32 PM

I just have a hard time believing huge numbers will come from this blower when I hear about massive IAT2 temps. Yes its a step up from the m62 but I just don't know if it could truly compete with a good twinscrew setup. I like where RAW was going with there kit, but they chose the wrong size blower imo.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:40 PM

You won't get a huge number from a 2.0l I4 with a supercharger on it thems the facts. If you have fallen in love with the supercharged set up like most. Upgrade to the TVS get all the supporting mods tuned properly etc if its still not enough Use nitrous. Thats the only way you will achieve decent numbers on a supercharged set up on these cars.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:52 PM

Sadly I would agree with you. I only brought it up in the first place because I was around a KB Cobra earlier that night and he was yelling at me to go twinscrew hahha. But yes big numbers with an sc will always be nitrous aided on an I4. Not like our tranny could really handle big numbers with an sc but thats for a different thread haha.