Japeatr's knocking at the track rebuild thread - Page 9 - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Engine Technical Discussion > 2.0L LSJ Performance Tech
Japeatr's knocking at the track rebuild thread >

Japeatr's knocking at the track rebuild thread

2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Japeatr's knocking at the track rebuild thread

Old 12-04-2014, 12:32 PM
  #201  
South Central *********
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: 05-14-05
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,068
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
not sure if i should tap and plug the PCV port in the head, kind of unsure how the Saaab LK9 intake has for a PCV. some input here will be helpful.
JapEatr is offline  
Old 12-04-2014, 12:33 PM
  #202  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
mrbelvedere's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-03-05
Location: KY
Posts: 8,125
Thanked 45 Times in 39 Posts
i think its the same as lsj
mrbelvedere is offline  
Old 12-05-2014, 02:47 PM
  #203  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 01-10-11
Posts: 3,888
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Yep. Identical down to the valve.
armcclure is offline  
Old 12-05-2014, 02:52 PM
  #204  
South Central *********
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: 05-14-05
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,068
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
with the Powell PCV kit, should i replace the PCV valve in the new manifold and move or tap the head ?
JapEatr is offline  
Old 12-05-2014, 03:20 PM
  #205  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 01-10-11
Posts: 3,888
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
We are working on that.
armcclure is offline  
Old 12-05-2014, 03:22 PM
  #206  
South Central *********
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: 05-14-05
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,068
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
details?
JapEatr is offline  
Old 12-05-2014, 07:24 PM
  #207  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 04-25-11
Location: Port Perry
Posts: 6,199
Thanked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Vaughn the Saab has the same pcv valve and config etc as the LSJ. Arm and I want to do something different, we havent figured out the simplest and most efficient way to do it. At all times u have to deal with metered air for the PCV return. And you dont want to have to create expensive solutions with machining and welding, although it may come to that. U cant plug the head pcv port if you expect to be able to vent the blow by gasses effectively, so clearly we would like to seperate blow by gases from both ports. LSJ ports are two way on the rocker cover at any time, and only two way" off boost "at the IM, be it TC or SC. The issue with the IM is entirely off boost blow by, if the rocker cover external port is already running seperated.

The orifice sizing in the internal rocker cover castings and in the head and its PCV valve are selected to maintain vacuum even under boost, although that expectation has proven not be realised in both LSJ and LNF applications. Because there is power to be had through blow by gas management and maintainiing vaccum in the crank case, Alan is keen on a vacuum pump. He is currently running a Corvette air pump, we have tried the Kappa pump and its not up to the task ( 300 dollars in parts for that trial there) and there is a Pierpoint vacuum pump that drives off the intake cam on the LSJ style B207 SAAB variant, and that pump would be a really elegant packaging way to maintain good vacuum at high revs and power.

so thats the update. Many fittings/dead ends/lots of time spent/different ideas/callitdevelopment/sell it for 1.98 . lol
Powell Race Parts is offline  
Old 12-06-2014, 11:40 AM
  #208  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 01-10-11
Posts: 3,888
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I am waiting on my hpt cable to be returned from repair to finish tuning and testing on a customer car, then we should be good to go.
armcclure is offline  
Old 12-06-2014, 02:49 PM
  #209  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 04-25-11
Location: Port Perry
Posts: 6,199
Thanked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I did not mention that revising the LSJ PCV to introduce fresh metered air down to the base of the crankcase is I believe a worthwhile addition to help reduce or eliminating sludge build up. LNF has that revision OEM.
Not an easy task. Requires one way valves, plumbing, revision to the rocker cover, plugging upper cylinder vents and of course, ARM testing it all
Powell Race Parts is offline  
Old 12-06-2014, 04:01 PM
  #210  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 02-21-11
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 3,311
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts View Post
I did not mention that revising the LSJ PCV to introduce fresh metered air down to the base of the crankcase is I believe a worthwhile addition to help reduce or eliminating sludge build up. LNF has that revision OEM.
Not an easy task. Requires one way valves, plumbing, revision to the rocker cover, plugging upper cylinder vents and of course, ARM testing it all
aka a few decades until being released
TStone is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 07:06 PM
  #211  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-25-13
Location: Olympia, Washington
Posts: 719
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts View Post
Vaughn the Saab has the same pcv valve and config etc as the LSJ. Arm and I want to do something different, we havent figured out the simplest and most efficient way to do it. At all times u have to deal with metered air for the PCV return. And you dont want to have to create expensive solutions with machining and welding, although it may come to that. U cant plug the head pcv port if you expect to be able to vent the blow by gasses effectively, so clearly we would like to seperate blow by gases from both ports. LSJ ports are two way on the rocker cover at any time, and only two way" off boost "at the IM, be it TC or SC. The issue with the IM is entirely off boost blow by, if the rocker cover external port is already running seperated.

The orifice sizing in the internal rocker cover castings and in the head and its PCV valve are selected to maintain vacuum even under boost, although that expectation has proven not be realised in both LSJ and LNF applications. Because there is power to be had through blow by gas management and maintainiing vaccum in the crank case, Alan is keen on a vacuum pump. He is currently running a Corvette air pump, we have tried the Kappa pump and its not up to the task ( 300 dollars in parts for that trial there) and there is a Pierpoint vacuum pump that drives off the intake cam on the LSJ style B207 SAAB variant, and that pump would be a really elegant packaging way to maintain good vacuum at high revs and power.

so thats the update. Many fittings/dead ends/lots of time spent/different ideas/callitdevelopment/sell it for 1.98 . lol
Awesome info and updates regarding what you're currently working on. Thanks!
Olybaltss is offline  
Old 12-10-2014, 09:17 AM
  #212  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 04-18-14
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 424
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts View Post
I did not mention that revising the LSJ PCV to introduce fresh metered air down to the base of the crankcase is I believe a worthwhile addition to help reduce or eliminating sludge build up. LNF has that revision OEM.
Not an easy task. Requires one way valves, plumbing, revision to the rocker cover, plugging upper cylinder vents and of course, ARM testing it all
So introduce fresh air into the bottom of the crankcase and have a vacuum pump on the top side... makes sense to me!
Viperoni is offline  
Old 12-22-2014, 03:16 PM
  #213  
South Central *********
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: 05-14-05
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,068
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
just an update:

oil ports have been drilled for the mains

also the manifold/downpipe/dump tube/BOV are in possesion

my dump tube looks too big, as its flange is the same size as the manifold 38mm flange.

awaiting zzps response on these matters

i pulled Blakes head and about to drop his motor out as well.

the two heads are then going to be shipped to John for some solid fitment
JapEatr is offline  
Old 12-22-2014, 04:40 PM
  #214  
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: 10-23-12
Location: Clarence, NY
Posts: 5,142
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When did you decide to switch to solid lash adjusters, thought you weren't going to get them. Interested to see how those will work out.
andrewcarr1993 is offline  
Old 12-22-2014, 04:48 PM
  #215  
South Central *********
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: 05-14-05
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,068
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Go a page or two back
JapEatr is offline  
Old 12-23-2014, 03:06 AM
  #216  
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: 10-23-12
Location: Clarence, NY
Posts: 5,142
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JapEatr View Post
Well Bates made the decision for me, have neither time to wait, nor money for what they cost to have made at Bates.

Im running hydraulics after all...

I do APPRECIATE the passion from my friends that I trust - Walters, Powell, McClure. It is good to know they are discussing my engine as far as pros and cons.

I would have run them from the thinking outside the box and all out perspective, however im not going down that path in regard to the solids


I did and last post about them said it wasn't worth it for the cost.

Unless I just misunderstood and you aren't using solid lifters.
andrewcarr1993 is offline  
Old 12-23-2014, 09:09 AM
  #217  
South Central *********
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: 05-14-05
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,068
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Im running them on the exhaust side per some pro drag race advice
JapEatr is offline  
Old 12-23-2014, 11:18 AM
  #218  
Rent me! per hour
 
Area47's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-22-07
Location: Still fixing others mistakes.
Posts: 24,186
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JapEatr View Post
just an update:

oil ports have been drilled for the mains

also the manifold/downpipe/dump tube/BOV are in possesion

my dump tube looks too big, as its flange is the same size as the manifold 38mm flange.

awaiting zzps response on these matters

i gave Blake head and about to drop his motor out as well.

the two heads are then going to be shipped to John for some solid fitment
yulp....
Area47 is offline  
Old 12-23-2014, 11:35 AM
  #219  
South Central *********
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: 05-14-05
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,068
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
yulp....
i see what you did there hhaha
JapEatr is offline  
Old 01-05-2015, 02:43 PM
  #220  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Hockeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-10-07
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,630
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
giggity
Hockeyman is offline  
Old 03-12-2015, 01:24 PM
  #221  
South Central *********
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: 05-14-05
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,068
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Name:  20150308_170516_zpswae0roi5.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  197.2 KB

Name:  20150308_170524_zpst5fpineu.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  205.4 KB
JapEatr is offline  
Old 03-12-2015, 03:25 PM
  #222  
574
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: 11-16-11
Location: Indiana
Posts: 6,434
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the sight of that... whats this I hear about an Ariel atom
574 is offline  
Old 03-12-2015, 04:35 PM
  #223  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (66)
 
riceburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-18-11
Location: West Chicago, IL
Posts: 39,844
Thanked 86 Times in 73 Posts
Interesting! I was real close to trying to get a vacuum pump last year, back when we were trying out the gutted rocker cover with the line to the exhaust, which didnt work out at all.
riceburner is offline  
Old 03-12-2015, 06:12 PM
  #224  
South Central *********
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: 05-14-05
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,068
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 574 View Post
Love the sight of that... whats this I hear about an Ariel atom
Its in the works, but have to handle some financial stuff this year
JapEatr is offline  
Old 05-26-2015, 03:27 PM
  #225  
South Central *********
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: 05-14-05
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,068
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
thought it was about time for an update:

Shortblock is assembled. Gen 1 zzp girdled, Gen 1 LA Sleeve Moly Ductile
Name:  IMG_5163_zpssgwvud3m.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  532.0 KB

Snapshot of Hockeyman and mine cranks - each was lightened 1.2lbs
Name:  IMG_5172_zpshavcofpw.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  295.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5168_zpstcuaiqkq.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  216.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5167_zpsavps4is1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  235.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5164_zpsoxlx7qyf.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  118.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5165_zpsoc4h48ms.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  220.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5166_zps4swh4wdu.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  20150308_170516_zpswae0roi5.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  197.2 KB
JapEatr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Japeatr's knocking at the track rebuild thread


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.