2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Kincaid Performance is going to hate me for this but... KILLER CHILLER EXPOSED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
figured out how to make a killer chiller.

So... i was at work, in the shop today doing some maintinence on our machine when i seen something that looked very simular to the Kinkaid Performance Killer Chiller... attached to the bottom of the radiator of a backhoe that was in the shop for motor work.

i looked it over and talked to our mechanic and asked him what it was, after he told me what it was i explained what the killer chiller is to him and he laughed and pointed at the black box on the radiator...

as explained by our mechanic... it's a water/coolant cooled hydraulic oil cooler, the oil enters the box via a fiting on either side and passes through an oil cooler within the box and out through the fitting on the opposite side... the coolant lines enter the box also. the box is set inline with the coolant system and used as a resivoir for coolant that passes over the oil cooler inside, using the moving coolant to extract the heat in the hydraulic oil inside the oil cooler enclosed in the box...
Then it hit me, all kinkaid performance did was take the design of the water cooled hydraulic oil cooler and reverse and change it's purpose... rather than passing coolant over the enclosed oil cooler to cool hydraulic oil, the plumbed it inline with the A/C system to route the freeon through the enclosed oil cooler to cool the coolant in the system/resevoir...

simply put, you can find these in a junk yard, ect... or even make one for pretty cheap considering all it is is a metal box with an oil cooler inside with 4 fittings, 2 are connected to the enclosed oil cooler to pass freeon through the system and 2 are to connect the coolant lines to fill and pass coolant through the box and over the oil cooler to super cool the coolant for the water to air intercooler, thus using old technology used to cool hydraulic oil... to cool coolant using freeon from your A/C system.

ill get a picture of the unit tomorrow at work so i can illustrate for yall...

untill then here is a pic of the kinkaid performance killer chiller.

this is how it is supposed to be plumbed into the system.

basically...

A rectangular box plus one of these

and some fittings = Kincaid Performance Killer Chiller.

Last edited by boosthard05; 12-24-2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: title change
Old 12-24-2008, 01:56 AM

interesting?
Old 12-24-2008, 02:01 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
damn. nice drawing. haha, but i'm thinking a kit would be hard to make. not many people (including myself) know where to look on a backhoe to find the oil cooler.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:06 AM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ls1fbody
damn. nice drawing. haha, but i'm thinking a kit would be hard to make. not many people (including myself) know where to look on a backhoe to find the oil cooler.
leave it to us cowboys.

damn that sounded like a real oklahoman hahahah
Old 12-24-2008, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by ls1fbody
A sheetmetal box and an oil cooler with the correct fittings would be enough, if you can weld you could probably make one yourself for under what kincaid performance is charging for them... easily.

i think thier asking price for the LSJ's, which they haven't released yet... is like $495.

so for the cost of labor and materials you could have one made much cheaper.

the drawing is the schematics from the instalation instructions on kincaids website.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:36 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
what your reffering to is just a 2 chamber heat exchanger commonly used for water/oil heat exchangers. vw has been using these for years on their automatic transmissions, and they have been used for many years in other applications, its not a new technology. the thing about building your own chiller is that your working with high pressure r134a refrigerant, its not exactly something that if you have an slight leak its no big deal. also keep in mind that you need an a/c shop to change the system, and if anything looks hacked together and like it leak they wont fill it.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i thought everyone knew how it worked.... seems obvious. But yea, its a common device. Our auto trannies oil cooler is an oil to coolant system as well. and high pressure R134 isnt TOO dangerous. its highly toxic, but you make it sound like it'll explode if you mess with it..lol. The biggest deal is if it leaks, its horrible for the environment and a big fatty fine can be made. It can be inhaled and absorbed through skin too, fyi
Old 12-24-2008, 11:54 AM

first off, the Killer Chiller is availble for purchase already. Has been for several months now.

http://www.ottperformance.com/Cobalt...duct_info.html

Secondly, if you think you can design the system to perform just as the KC does, then go for it. But this isn't just some custom hack job plumbing some coolant lines together for a custom front mount h/e. Everything is going to have to be air tight and you are going to have to talk a a/c shop into recharging your system. If it starts to leak, I'm willing to bet they won't recharge it. Pressurized refrigerant isn't anything to mess around with.

My opinion is, if you want to build it yourself, go ahead. But the KC is a proven product by the mustang cobra's and f150 lightnings, so I think instead of trying to call out a very respected proven company, you should delete this thread immediately.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ralliartist
first off, the Killer Chiller is availble for purchase already. Has been for several months now.

Secondly, if you think you can design the system to perform just as the KC does, then go for it. But this isn't just some custom hack job plumbing some coolant lines together for a custom front mount h/e. Everything is going to have to be air tight and you are going to have to talk a a/c shop into recharging your system. If it starts to leak, I'm willing to bet they won't recharge it. Pressurized refrigerant isn't anything to mess around with.

My opinion is, if you want to build it yourself, go ahead. But the KC is a proven product by the mustang cobra's and f150 lightnings, so I think instead of trying to call out a veryrespected proven company, you should delete this thread immediately.

Im not calling out anyone, and i didn't see the KC on thier website so i thought it wasn't released yet... my point was that the KC is nothing new, and really nothing special in design. its a metal box with an oil cooler in it. im pretty sure a machine shop can weld a sheetmetal box together with an oil cooler enclosed, the only thing that needs to be air tight is the oil cooler it's self and im pretty sure that companies that make oil coolers or even small A/C condensers will make them air tight enough not to leak.

it's not brain sergery, it's putting an oil cooler in a box and running A/C lines to it, then running coolant lines to the box.

they didn't do anything but repicate what has been done on heavy equipment for years before the KC was even around. all they did was run freeon through the oil cooler to cool the coolant, rather than using the coolant to cool the hydraulic oil in the oil cooler.

and i never said it was a hack job... they took the design from something that has been used for years and just gave it a different use and name.

all it is, is a water cooled hydraulic oil cooler, or as the navy calls it, a Fluid to Fluid Heat Exchanger.

where it says "cold fluid in" is where you would plumb the A/C system into the setup... and where it says "warm fluid in" is where the coolant would enter...
The one in the picture isn't a box like the KC, but somehow i think the tubular design would be more efficient and moving fluid.

Taken from here ---> http://me1065.wikidot.com/automotive-heat-exchangers

Here's another example of how it works... and im guessing this is the difference between kincaids two models with different efficiencies.

the collant enters through one chamber as the freeon passes through the other, the multi pass setup is probably thier more expensive unit.

OMFG!!! it's a marvell of modern technology... im pretty sure there won't be a problem keeping that air tight.

Last edited by boosthard05; 12-24-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-24-2008, 01:41 PM

You aren't understanding what I'm trying to say. If you think you can build it yourself, then by all means do it. But that doesn't mean to come on here and call a company out like this.

I could do the same thing if I wanted....

I can make a 3" intake for any car for less than 100 bucks, instead of paying 200+ for these...

http://www.modernperformance.com/gm/...rcharged.shtml
http://www.modacar.com/products/Chev...lt/AirIntakes/

or 300+ for this one...
http://www.cgsmotorsports.com/php/pr...id=1&appid=187

or I can say that I can make my own single pass ported manifold for 200 bucks instead of 400+ for the ottp one.

You shouldn't come on a forum and just call a company out like that. Especially when kincaid was just offering their product to the cobalt community just like they did the cobra community.

delete the thread.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:42 PM

If its so cheap and you have the design do it yourself. Or is it your "assuming" you know what your talking about.

The kit has been out for at least 4 weeks, the price is $475, if you can do it for cheaper go for it.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion is, if you want to build it yourself, go ahead. But the KC is a proven product by the mustang cobra's and f150 lightnings, so I think instead of trying to call out a very respected proven company, you should delete this thread immediately.

i don't think he was calling anyone out, i think he is trying to offer an alternative that may be WAY cheaper. no different than someone posting up about making a custom exhaust, that is going to be 1/4 the price of an aftermarket and perform just as well.

i don't know much about this stuff, or how to put it together, so who knows if it's going to work or not. but if it does, i think alot of people would be happy with this post.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:47 PM

all you are doing right now is making the cobalt community look like a bunch of ass hats. And this is the same reason why more companies don't want to do stuff for us. It's also the same reason why the LNF will blast off with aftermarket parts and the LSJ will be left behind.

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
and perform just as well.
that's where you are wrong. Kincaid actually sized the cooler specifically to the LSJ. Just like they did to the cobra. If you think you can just hook up any cooler and run with it, you are sadly mistaken.

this thread should be deleted.

If he makes his own and then wants to post up how he did it and his results, by all means, do it, that's great.

but by making a thread where he "calls out" a performance company trying to offer a product, he is in the wrong.

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t

i don't know much about this stuff, or how to put it together, so who knows if it's going to work or not. but if it does, i think alot of people would be happy with this post.
well the reason I'm not happy is because I was the one that got kincaid to offer this product for the cobalt community, i was deployed and I called him and begged him to offer it. and now you get people that try to "expose" them for their product, when in fact, they don't even know how hard it really is to make one or if their "custom" one will outperform the kincaid kc or not.

I don't understand how you can argue with a PROVEN PRODUCT from a PROVEN COMPANY. Just do a google search and you'll see that SVT cars love this product.

Last edited by ralliartist; 12-24-2008 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-24-2008, 01:51 PM

all you are doing right now is making the cobalt community look like a bunch of ass hats. And this is the same reason why more companies don't want to do stuff for us. It's also the same reason why the LNF will blast off with aftermarket parts and the LSJ will be left behind.

that's where you are wrong. Kincaid actually sized the cooler specifically to the LSJ. Just like they did to the cobra. If you think you can just hook up any cooler and run with it, you are sadly mistaken.

this thread should be deleted.

If he makes his own and then wants to post up how he did it and his results, by all means, do it, that's great.

but by making a thread where he "calls out" a performance company trying to offer a product, he is in the wrong.

well the reason I'm not happy is because I was the one that got kincaid to offer this product for the cobalt community, i was deployed and I called him and begged him to offer it. and now you get people that try to "expose" them for their product, when in fact, they don't even know how hard it really is to make one or if their "custom" one will outperform the kincaid kc or not.

I don't understand how you can argue with a PROVEN PRODUCT from a PROVEN COMPANY. Just do a google search and you'll see that SVT cars love this product.
will you get it through your thick head? im not calling anyone out... i just think people whould know what they're paying for.

and specifically sizing? c'mon man? are you ******* serious? that's like saying that the coolant resivoir on the dual pass opt b setup has to be specificaly sized... if it holds more coolant and chills it at the same time there will be gains regardless of size... the only thing they sized for was fitment.

and you're right... it is a proven product... proven by heavy equipment companies years before Kincaid even thought about using the design. the navy even used simular setups to cool oil by passing fuel through the system to cool the oil in the heat exchanger thats enclosed.

thats like me going and designing a 2.75 exhaust and claiming that i made a breakthrough product when dezod did it years before i did.

they aren't doing anything monumental or even ground breaking besides the idea of running freeon through the system... now that was genius, but claiming it as thier own design is bullshit.

all im doing is helping people understand what it is so they can have another alternative... and im pretty sure the units aren't that expensive to make seeing that the unit for the new saleen is $649 and the one for the LSJ is $475... thats a huge jump in price for a different sized box...

and im not knocking it, it is a good product, i've been interested in it for a while and plan to get one wether i make one myself or buy one, the thing is, it's not thier product, the concept of reversing the enclosed heat exchanger running using freeon through the system to cool the coolant (rather than using coolant to cool oil) is brilliant and thiers entirely, but it is not new technology nor is it thier design.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:54 PM

I'm going off the info that Joe Kincaid himself gave me. He said that people have tried to replicate it on the svt cars and failed. They ended up just buying one from him that was a proven product already.

If you aren't calling them out, then why does the title say, "Kincaid Performance is going to hate me for this but... KILLER CHILLER EXPOSED!!!" sounds like a callout to me.

I'm not the one with a thick head, I think you just went about this thread the wrong way. If you make your own, then by all means, share with us. But don't make a specific thread trying to say that kincaid is ripping you off with OLD technology. That's just wrong and not good for our community.

Last edited by ralliartist; 12-24-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-24-2008, 01:58 PM

Give joe a call and talk to him for a few mins and you will see exactly why it is priced that way and why you won't do it for cheaper running as efficently.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by lsjwannabe
Give joe a call and talk to him for a few mins and you will see exactly why it is priced that way and why you won't do it for cheaper running as efficently.
bingo! thanks for the backup. This thread is just getting rediculous. It should just be deleted.

(505) 275-COOL (2665) call him

delete the thread.

Last edited by ralliartist; 12-24-2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-24-2008, 04:14 PM

cool reinvention. Is heat really that big a problems with these motors? I come from the boxer community where it is , but I figured the Al and i-4 was pretty effecient at despersing heat....?
Old 12-24-2008, 04:44 PM

honestly...i think he just thought it was a complicated process, and now he's realizing its simple. You have to realize...almost ANYTHING automotive is very simple if you can figure it out...engine technology hasnt changed much in the last several decades, especially compared to things like electronic technology. Understanding the principals is easy, its buying the machines that can bui8ld these products at such tight tolerances and in mass numbers that makes this pricey...nothing else. An engine is just a block of metal thats been cut to shape with more metal parts moving inside really...

a good example. a piston is just a cylinder of metal with some holes and ring lands built in...its simple. but that doesnt mean that now that you know how it works, you're going to go make one cheaper than Diamond will...
Old 12-24-2008, 05:42 PM

Go Gamecocks!
Old 12-24-2008, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chandler
cool reinvention. Is heat really that big a problems with these motors? I come from the boxer community where it is , but I figured the Al and i-4 was pretty effecient at despersing heat....?
being an I4 wouldnt help in heat dispersion, nor would being aluminum really... were not talking about block temperatures, were talking about IAT temps. block material has almost no effect on IAT. I think aluminum's big advantage is weight savings and even heat distribution to prevent hot spots in the block, but again, that's only regarding the block
Old 12-25-2008, 04:08 AM

Calm down ralli. He isn't "calling them out". He's trying to say he doesn't think it's that hard to make and he's offering his way of doing it. Now I'm aware the Killer Chiller is an exceptional product and that it is not something anyone can put together. However, I never saw him say the Killer Chiller is a bad product OR that the company was bad. I think your taking it a little too personally since you talked the guy into producing it for the LSJ. Just because he is assuming it's a simple job (even though it isn't) does NOT mean it's bashing the company.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:04 PM

well... i think i may have figured out exactly what they are doing... the KC is the same dementions and it would make sense to use this design...

The Hot Fluid will pass from one port and out the other on the opposite end going the long way. The hot fluid will fill up every other channel created by the plates. The cold fluid will pass from one port to the other on the opposite side of the heat exchanger, filling up each channel which was not filled by the hot fluid. These thin plates which create these channels allow heat transfer between the two fluids to occur without actually mixing the fluids. Conduction occurs naturally from the heat temperature difference between the two fluids while convection occurs as the fluids move faster and turbulence occurs. Most of our heat exchangers are rippled so turbulence is forced into the heat exchanger, making a more efficient heat transfer.
im pretty sure all they did was take a plate design fluid to fluid heat exchanger and run freon through it to cool the coolant...

the concept may be thiers (and it is a brilliant one at that) but the acctual unit is nothing more than a re-packaged heat exchanger with some fancy casing around it.

look at the simularities from a top view...

they took a plate design fluid to fluid heat exchanger, slapped a plastic cover on it, attached some fittings and called it a Killer Chiller... the only thing inventive and groundbreaking about it is the idea to use it to channel freon and coolant to optimize the stock cooling system... which i think is ******* brilliant! but they are lying by saying it is thier design... the only thing the kit includes is a couple rubber hoses, some clamps and plastic elbow fittings.

not to mention... a plate style heat exchanger can be purchased for less than $100. add in the cost of the fittings and materials needed to make a complete kit and you still come out spending a hell of a lot less than the KC kit sells for.

EVEN MORE PROOF!

i highlighted the areas that make this claim even more believeable, the plate style heat exchanger is used in water/refridgerant type air conditioning units for home cooling systems.

Dimensions:
Length: 7.52 inches

Width: 2.87 inches

Height: 2.92 inches

Weight: Under 4 lb

Heat Transfer Area: .014 m2/plate (.14 ft2/plate)

Plate Thickness: .3 mm (.012 inches)

Channel Capacities: .022 L/channel (.00582 gallons/channel)

Design (Max) Pressure: 435 psi (3.0 MPa)

Test Pressure: 635 psi (4.5 MPa)

Design (min/max) Temperature: -195C/+220C (-319 F/+430 F)

Estimated HeatTransfer 1-5KW or 3500-17,500 BTU/hour

Note: These estimated heat transfers are based
on a solar water heating application. A typical
application has about 110 deg F on the hot side
and 65 deg F on the cold side. If your temperatures
are colder or hotter, you will get more heat transfer.
If your flow rate is above about 1 gpm, you will get
more heat transfer.

Flow Direction: F1-F3 and F2-F4

Weld/Brazing Material: 99.99% Copper

Food Grade? Yes! Nothing but clean metal here.

Corrosion resistance: Very good. Hard water typically takes 10 years to decay.

Plate Material: SS304

Application:
Boiler systems, solar water hearting, Heat pump system,
household type central air conditioning, after heat recycling,
refrigeration equipment, industry cold water machine,
cooleroil, air conditioners & anything else with two fluids
of varying temperatures

Last edited by boosthard05; 12-25-2008 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-26-2008, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by boosthard05
well... i think i may have figured out exactly what they are doing... the KC is the same dementions and it would make sense to use this design...

im pretty sure all they did was take a plate design fluid to fluid heat exchanger and run freon through it to cool the coolant...

the concept may be thiers (and it is a brilliant one at that) but the acctual unit is nothing more than a re-packaged heat exchanger with some fancy casing around it.

look at the simularities from a top view...

they took a plate design fluid to fluid heat exchanger, slapped a plastic cover on it, attached some fittings and called it a Killer Chiller... the only thing inventive and groundbreaking about it is the idea to use it to channel freon and coolant to optimize the stock cooling system... which i think is ******* brilliant! but they are lying by saying it is thier design... the only thing the kit includes is a couple rubber hoses, some clamps and plastic elbow fittings.

not to mention... a plate style heat exchanger can be purchased for less than $100. add in the cost of the fittings and materials needed to make a complete kit and you still come out spending a hell of a lot less than the KC kit sells for.

EVEN MORE PROOF!

i highlighted the areas that make this claim even more believeable, the plate style heat exchanger is used in water/refridgerant type air conditioning units for home cooling systems.
my comment on all this... so what? you know what it is now...so what?
Old 12-26-2008, 02:37 AM

You know, I'll agree with you that the concept isn't new. I work on the AWACS fuel system and we use heat exchangers inside the fuel tanks along with fluid lines and use the fuel as a cooling compound to reduce the temp of hydrolic ( sp? ) fluid. I change these systems out all the time...

And I understand why ralli is upset, because he did put a lot of hard work into getting this made for us. Soooo with that said...why not just make a system, do a how to on it, and submit it for approval in the how to section?

That way, if people so choose, they can use your write up and save themselves money...that is, if you can make it for cheaper than KP...

I don't know your level of mechanical skills...but I'm an AF mechanic and pretty good with such things...and this sounds difficult to me. Then again, I haven't done any research on the product...and I'm just going off of what I've read in the thread.

Soooo...really, make a how to man...and prove to the community you know what you're talking about!

( Side note - If you don't know what an AWACS is...google it...and if you need me to prove anything about what I've said, I can get technical data on it and send it to you via pm )

Last edited by infernica; 12-26-2008 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Quick note

Quick Reply: Kincaid Performance is going to hate me for this but... KILLER CHILLER EXPOSED!!!