2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

looking for a tvs install with calibrate in the northeast!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for a tvs install with calibrate in the northeast!

looking for a shop that does work on supercharged cobalts somewhere in the northeast, anywhere from new york city to maine. looking for tvs with ls4 install and all the intercooler mods, zzp stg 3, DP and option b. must be set up to calibrate pcm for new parts.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any decent local GM Dealer should be able to install this. If not find a local performance shop.

My vote if you really looking for such a big area is to go to BYT and have him do it.

Check him out:
Backyard Turbo
Old 04-10-2011, 08:02 PM

all that stuff is honestly not that hard to install. I want to think that the hardest thing to do is grind down one of the sensors that gets in the way of the tvs.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:02 PM

local dealershops will not be able to tune you for the new toys. they can only slap on a gm flash, not custom.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:04 PM

I could do this for you haha
Old 04-10-2011, 09:42 PM

im a L1 master mechanic, the bolt unbolt is cake, its the calibrate that im not going to get done at the shop i work at. I also hate to work on my own car, i like to be able to bitch at someone if something isnt the way i like it. plus, id love to have someone do this who has already done it several times, the dual pass requires a gentle touch and id like the option b to be installed to factory appearance. I want it to look perfect. Ideally when you open the hood nothing is out of place, id even like the tvs painted the usual satin silver instead of the green. I know the ls4 throttle requires a pcm reprogram as does the bigger blower, ideally id like to run a pulley on the blower that generates stock stage 2 levels of boost to keep 93 octane gas without any support mods beyond the intercooler upgrades.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:48 PM

you know, and i'm not trying to be a dick, when i want something installed to perfection, I trust myself. I mean, most of the stuff you mentioned is REALLY hard to screw up. Even putting on the smaller pulley. And, fyi, the tvs is not green...it's a grey color, damn near black....and OTTP can make it a polished look for you i think.

I'm just saying because if you want to save a penny hear or there. The tune is not going to be cheap either.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:58 PM

I know, this is a personal point, i dont work on my own cars. I wanted the rotors turned on my 06 grand prix and the boss insisted i do it myself and i was pissed. I was ready to pay good money to have it done and was told it was free but i had to do it myself. I want to pay to have this done and if i see something leaking, ill be on the phone in 2 seconds flat looking for the answer on when its going to be fixed for free. Plus, ive never touched the intercooler off the car, ive done gasket jobs on the 3800 supercharged motors and replaced noisy units but ive never had the supercharger intercooler off a 2.0 let alone pulled the cores out of one, my understanding is they are delicate as ****. Im looking to pay good money to a shop that will do it all in one shot and do it right. Its not a strange request, i just want to drop my car off, get it all done then pick it up and enjoy it. Last time i invested countless hours of my time into a car i got my heart broken. I had a 10 second chevelle and a friend defaulted on a car loan i co signed and i was forced to sell the chevelle in order to not go bankrupt. I made money on that car but seeing all that time on the back of a flatbed driving down my driveway kicked my ass. I dont ever want to have more than money into a car again. If i wreck it, oh well, insurance picks up the tab and i have a new one the next day. Hell i keep my bike in the cellar, tanks off it because i dont want to risk losing it out on the road. Enough about that, just want some go fast goodies put into my scootabout

yeah im looking to have it painted satin silver to blend in with the motor, i dont want it to look heavily modified with the hood open.

Last edited by zfissette; 04-10-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-10-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by mexi_loco
you know, and i'm not trying to be a dick, when i want something installed to perfection, I trust myself. I mean, most of the stuff you mentioned is REALLY hard to screw up. Even putting on the smaller pulley. And, fyi, the tvs is not green...it's a grey color, damn near black....and OTTP can make it a polished look for you i think.

I'm just saying because if you want to save a penny hear or there. The tune is not going to be cheap either.
its not nearly black, it IS grey though ...and i painted the snout and pulley black

Old 04-10-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by zfissette
I know, this is a personal point, i dont work on my own cars. I wanted the rotors turned on my 06 grand prix and the boss insisted i do it myself and i was pissed. I was ready to pay good money to have it done and was told it was free but i had to do it myself. I want to pay to have this done and if i see something leaking, ill be on the phone in 2 seconds flat looking for the answer on when its going to be fixed for free. Plus, ive never touched the intercooler off the car, ive done gasket jobs on the 3800 supercharged motors and replaced noisy units but ive never had the supercharger intercooler off a 2.0 let alone pulled the cores out of one, my understanding is they are delicate as ****. Im looking to pay good money to a shop that will do it all in one shot and do it right. Its not a strange request, i just want to drop my car off, get it all done then pick it up and enjoy it. Last time i invested countless hours of my time into a car i got my heart broken. I had a 10 second chevelle and a friend defaulted on a car loan i co signed and i was forced to sell the chevelle in order to not go bankrupt. I made money on that car but seeing all that time on the back of a flatbed driving down my driveway kicked my ass. I dont ever want to have more than money into a car again. If i wreck it, oh well, insurance picks up the tab and i have a new one the next day. Hell i keep my bike in the cellar, tanks off it because i dont want to risk losing it out on the road. Enough about that, just want some go fast goodies put into my scootabout

yeah im looking to have it painted satin silver to blend in with the motor, i dont want it to look heavily modified with the hood open.
Yeah the cores you need to be careful with but nothing that serious. To put it this way I'm 18 years old and did pretty much everything you need done by myself

The job itself is not hard, just takes time. The tune is where you will have a problem.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:02 PM

u have ur L1 (engine building), and are an ase master tech ... but u wont swap out a super? or do a cooling system>
Old 04-10-2011, 10:03 PM

well theres a lot of places that can and probably will install the parts right(hopefully they are smart and not lazy and swap the cores right for a dual pass), the biggest worry i'd have is to find a place that knows how and can get you a nice tune
Old 04-10-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by RooTBeeR
its not nearly black, it IS grey though ...and i painted the snout and pulley black

Old 04-10-2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by mexi_loco
Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 PM

that's fine bro...your choice after all. But don't be surprised to pay close to a grand for everything to be done. Not sure what BYT charges for his tunes, but you will def get your money's worth for it.

And no, these cars are not delicate as **** to work on. They have aluminum blocks, which means you have to take precautions that you wouldn't normally take on cast iron blocks, but you're not going anywhere near the block. On top of that, GM honestly built this block nearly perfectly, using forged internals where necessary. There's a reason why these blocks can go upwards of 400whp on the stock sleeves, crank, and rods.

But I digress: it's your car, and if you want someone else to work on it, that's entirely your choice and your right.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 PM

L1 is advanced engine performance, engine building is A1, A7 is heating and a/c. Its just about the calibrate, changing the supercharger itself is a non-issue. I like to at least see something done once before i do it myself. I suppose i could watch video of the laminova swap for the DP but to be honest, i just dont want to. I dont want to wrench on my own car. Id like someone who has done it several times before to get it done in a reasonable amount of time and hand me the bill. Because even if i do it myself, what then? have it shipped to a shop to get the tune done? or risk the motor by driving it with the much larger blower on it all the way to the shop? the DP i can have done by a dealer, the same one that did my stage 2 kit would love to take my 100 and hour to do it, but they wont add the zzp stg 3 intercooler or the option b and if im going to have a shop do those, i might as well have them do the dp and get it all done at once. Its just not really needed on a car with nothing more than basic bolt ons. At the point where im going to drop the tvs and ls4 on it, im gonna need those intercooler upgrades to get the iat2 numbers down when i beating her up on the highway.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:29 PM

to be honest, id love to do this on a customers car, i think this would be a neat break from struts and intake gaskets. But everytime i think about putting my car up on the lift and pulling her guts out all i can think about is what it felt like to watch my time drive away from me. Cash i just paper,i dont mind spending it but my time? Might be different if i owned a house with a big garage, but i rent an apartment, not to mention that i dont have a spare car i can commute in while my toy is up on the rack. I have one car for me and one for my girl to drive the kids around in. Id love to drive to a shop at the crack of dawn on my day off and drive her away that evening. 2gs for the blower, another 750 in parts, 750 in labor, 3500 to 4,000 for a ton of added power? that would be worth it
Old 04-10-2011, 10:29 PM

L1 is advanced engine performance, engine building is A1, A7 is heating and a/c. Its just about the calibrate, changing the supercharger itself is a non-issue. I like to at least see something done once before i do it myself. I suppose i could watch video of the laminova swap for the DP but to be honest, i just dont want to. I dont want to wrench on my own car. Id like someone who has done it several times before to get it done in a reasonable amount of time and hand me the bill. Because even if i do it myself, what then? have it shipped to a shop to get the tune done? or risk the motor by driving it with the much larger blower on it all the way to the shop? the DP i can have done by a dealer, the same one that did my stage 2 kit would love to take my 100 and hour to do it, but they wont add the zzp stg 3 intercooler or the option b and if im going to have a shop do those, i might as well have them do the dp and get it all done at once. Its just not really needed on a car with nothing more than basic bolt ons. At the point where im going to drop the tvs and ls4 on it, im gonna need those intercooler upgrades to get the iat2 numbers down when i beating her up on the highway.
actually, all you would need is a person that has access to a laptop and HP Tuners. They can just download your pcm calibration using your VIN number and just email the tune to whoever you want to tune you. No need to even turn the motor over. Or, you can just unhook the pcm altogether and have your tuner upload the tune directly to it. Either choice you have here doesn't involve you turning on your car. You're honestly making a huge issue out of nothing. I honestly bet that whoever is going to tune you will show up at your house with a laptop anyways to do live tuning.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:40 PM

its possible mexi, i remember working with a buddy on his grand national years ago and tweaking fuel trims from his laptop back when that was cutting edge ****, i guess im just picturing the car on the dyno having some real time calibration done by someone who has tuned one of these before. Id like to be able to put her dyno sheet in the glove box. I know shes never going to run tens, but at least i can show my buddies a decent dyno slip. Atm all i can think about is my framed picture of my chevelle lifting her front left wheel off the ground on her way to 10.54 @ 126 with the time slip under the glass. I miss being able to show that to people. at local car shows i would leave it on the dash and when people asked what she ran i could hand it to them. I had a big goofy white helmet on that i borrowed from a guy there because i didnt think to bring one. It was an awesome picture of one of the best days of my life. I remember spending so much time working numbers on that car, looking for any way to cut weight or choke more power out of that motor. I just want to see my car on a dyno and be able to had someone a respectable piece of paper again. Im not a kid, im not gonna fill my engine bay with chrome, but i want it to be able to put up a fight on the highway.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:46 PM

Search Google maps or some other method for performance shops. Any shop that does GM work will have HPTuners to dyno tune the car.

I'm sure there is something close to you.

FYI, even thought these guys don't agree with you, I am the same way when it comes to wrenching. I am at the point where, I've been there and done that. I just don't want to be hassled anymore. So much better just paying someone to do the monkey work on a car.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:47 PM

if you're going with a tvs, and looking for it to put up a fight, I would honestly do some more research about that blower. Because if you just slap it on with another heat exchanger and some 60's...you're going to really feel the pain in your sack. Talk to some of the current tvs owners and what they had to do to break the 300 hp (crank or wheel). I can tell you right now, if you're looking for respectful numbers off of a tvs, this is your actual parts list:

- Switch from 93 octane to ethanol (preferably e85)

-80 lbs/hr injectors (not 60's)

-Full 3" exhaust (I'm assuming you don't have this since you didn't list it in your OP)

-The smallest pulley they make for the TVS (not sure what that is)

-Possibly some upgraded valve springs (so you can rev higher than normal)

-Guages to be able to read and measure **** (again, assuming you don't have any of this)

-A good tune for the new kind of fuel, injectors, timing, air/fuel ratio

Overall, you're figures for how much you want to spend are not that accurate.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by WSFrazier
Search Google maps or some other method for performance shops. Any shop that does GM work will have HPTuners to dyno tune the car.

I'm sure there is something close to you.

FYI, even thought these guys don't agree with you, I am the same way when it comes to wrenching. I am at the point where, I've been there and done that. I just don't want to be hassled anymore. So much better just paying someone to do the monkey work on a car.
I'm not saying I disagree with his choice to get someone else to do it. And yes, HP Tuners has been around for a while. It's practically the only way to tune f-bodies, vettes...pretty much anything from GM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:54 PM

It won't take much to break well over 300 to the tire on TVS.

All you really need is:

- Blower
- Fuel System (whether it be return style or larger injectors)
- E85
- Someone who knows what they are doing with HPT

Can get into 340ish to wheels.

Without E85, you will be hurting to even touch 300, and the car will feel like it has a lot less TQ than the old M62. When I get asked if the TVS is worth it, I tell them it isn't if your sticking to dino fuel.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:55 PM

ive done the yellow pages lookup, im looking for a shop with a reference from here Thanks for the support though, im glad others feel the way i do about this. some of my earliest memories are of handing my dad wrenches to work on our harley, the same one downstairs at his house right now with the tanks off. I love that thing like i love my kids. I cant wrench on a machine i own without caring about it, i want to keep it all business for now. Im not sure if that will ever change. I know there are a lot of cobalt owners in the northeast, its snow country so rear wheel drive cars dont make good commuters around here.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by WSFrazier
It won't take much to break well over 300 to the tire on TVS.

All you really need is:

- Blower
- Fuel System (whether it be return style or larger injectors)
- E85
- Someone who knows what they are doing with HPT

Can get into 340ish to wheels.

Without E85, you will be hurting to even touch 300, and the car will feel like it has a lot less TQ than the old M62. When I get asked if the TVS is worth it, I tell them it isn't if your sticking to dino fuel.

i think we pretty much just said the same thing. But he will need more than just the tvs to get "respectable" numbers on the dyno. I believe that was my initial point.

Quick Reply: looking for a tvs install with calibrate in the northeast!